Heljan class 35 chassis.

Both will most readily be found under bodies. Scour the s/h ads and discount dealer sites, puchase the cheapest complete model you can find, and (seconding 10800) sell on the body and other parts (some people really like boxes - could there be a model railway packaging collector group do we suppose?) and there you are. Prices are not quite as tasty as they were a few years ago, but I have yet to pay more than a net £40 for any powered chassis. Compared to what the price would be for the parts to make an equivalent running chassis, this represents real value in my view.

• RMweb Gold

Exactly what I'm looking for. A chassis to go under my early 1970s Hornby Hymek that I am detailing and just cannot contemplate throwing away. It would be great if Heljan could make a few more chassis than bodies in the next run- I'm sure there's a waiting market for their superb power units.

Neil

Exactly what I'm looking for. A chassis to go under my early 1970s Hornby Hymek that I am detailing and just cannot contemplate throwing away.

Hornby Hymek body needs quite a lot of correction to the cab, as I've been discovering......

I'm sure there's a waiting market for their superb power units.

Don't mention the Clayton.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed - the windows especially. I'm not sure that the "hump" on the cab roof, which is shallower on the Hornby model is more prototypically accurate. I agree though more work, but it would be impossible for me to throw my only surviving 1970s diesel away.

Oh yes the Clayton saga- don't remind me- I have three crawlers amongst my fleet waiting to go bang one day.

Sorry for pulling OT.

Neil

Archived