Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Nonetheless still in UK service. And so it's a hybrid? As long as it's got a diesel engine, that'll do. There's no rules in this game...

A small underfloor engine is not likely to trouble any records apart from slowest rate of acceleration though ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

A small underfloor engine is not likely to trouble any records apart from slowest rate of acceleration though ;)

Judging from what 2x5-car 800 standing-start acceleration feels like on the down line out of Taunton when the driver is trying, they'd leave a HST for dead up to at least 60mph.

John

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

A ban is expected to come into force on diesel working in and out of the London termini in two or three years time. It'll be interesting to see what sort of third-rail/diesel bi-mode devices emerge to replace the Class 159s on the Waterloo-Exeter run, or will we all have to change at Basingstoke?

Same goes for the class 171 dmu Uckfield services that start from London Bridge. Change at Oxted?

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, grahame said:

Same goes for the class 171 dmu Uckfield services that start from London Bridge. Change at Oxted?

In my case I'll just stop bothering with London altogether.

I had my fill of sightseeing years ago and, in this modern age, there's pretty much nothing one has to go up to town for.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

Tony a question, if I may, that I don't think has been asked before. How do you organise your digital photographs for storage?

It might have been asked before Mike,

But a long time ago..........

Whenever I take pictures (as TIFs) I put them into dated folders. For instance, Friend, Tony Teague, has been here today, and I've taken some pictures of items he brought. The folder they're in is titled 17.12.19 Tony Teague, and that in itself is in a larger folder called  Little Bytham Progress 2019.

Layouts are listed by the layout name, and the date the set of pictures were taken. Each individual file is then given the layout name, with a number - 01 and so on.

New product shots are given a date folder, with a description of what they are. For instance, last week I had the new Bachmann V2s to assess, and pictures of them are in the folder 9.12.19 Bachmann's latest V2. Each image is then titled Bachmann's latest V2 01, and so on. 

Most of the folders are stored on a separate hard drive linked to computer (neither of which are attached to the internet). If I need to post pictures on here, I transfer them via a memory stick. 

If I can't find a folder immediately, I ask the computer to search. 

It works for me.

Speaking of my good friend Tony Teague, how nice to see him modelling again. His layout's in the current Hornby magazine, by the way.

1593149595_SR0-6-2T.jpg.0b331fc22e6493d20fc27333400db6d2.jpg

879175432_SR2-6-0.jpg.ffc3a0404ec7b0da5341ac7d0756272e.jpg

He brought these two locos for minor attention - Tony, please tell me if they now work properly. 

He'll also tell us exactly what they are.

1056888595_3D-printedvans.jpg.998c4655e706ddc854502ae7f36f5428.jpg

He also brought these 3D-printed SR vans. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 18

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

A ban is expected to come into force on diesel working in and out of the London termini in two or three years time.

It should get interesting at Marylebone then. All change at Harrow on the Hill!

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

But the diesel record category  is still open, diesel traction is yet in service, and it will be beaten in time. Scrap them.

Bah humbug! All right, scrap 'em after the record's been broken. Then scrap Rocket, City of Truro, Flying Scotsman and all the rest.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Looking very nice, I like these little 1F 0-6-0Ts. I built 1667 a few years ago but have built another two this year, one for me and another for a friend. I'm not sure of the origins of the kit but am fairly sure its a Craftsman kit shot down to 2mm scale which provides an excellent basis for the body on a scratch chassis.

1667 was fairly straightforward as the motor extends through the cab and back into the bunker - the crew are glued to the motor sans one leg and some torso!

The two half cabs were a bit more tricky but I managed to keep most of the cab free. The worm just pokes into the cab low down but a slightly high floor and hollow backhead means its not visible. Few details still to go on one then its painting.

IMG_1497.PNG.3534e91edd9bc328466b43d64420e7f9.PNG

20191207_205657.jpg.5ac23bac8b8789207ae358fde25db1b1.jpg

20191207_205804.jpg.c690225508ce6971f2428a622d08ab62.jpg

Jerry

Wow .... the idea of doing it all twice, but half the size frazzles my brain ..... respect !

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Speaking of my good friend Tony Teague, how nice to see him modelling again. His layout's in the current Hornby magazine, by the way.

1593149595_SR0-6-2T.jpg.0b331fc22e6493d20fc27333400db6d2.jpg

879175432_SR2-6-0.jpg.ffc3a0404ec7b0da5341ac7d0756272e.jpg

He brought these two locos for minor attention - Tony, please tell me if they now work properly. 

He'll also tell us exactly what they are.

1056888595_3D-printedvans.jpg.998c4655e706ddc854502ae7f36f5428.jpg

He also brought these 3D-printed SR vans. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

Many thanks to you and Mo for your hospitality and another most enjoyable day playing trains whilst putting the world to rights!

The two locos above, which have each missed the weathering queue so far, were both built and beautifully painted for me by Chris Phillips are first, an SR, ex-LB&SCR / Billinton E3 class 0-6-2T from a kit by EB Models (Exclusively Brighton Models), finished in early Maunsell lined goods black livery, and second, an SR / Maunsell U class 2-6-0 from a DJH kit which is finished in wartime black livery with sunshine lettering. Thanks for attending to each of these today - I shall have to let you know tomorrow whether this has put them back into the operational fleet!

The pair of SR, ex-SECR box vans are the latest production from Rails of Sheffield / Dapol in out of the box condition; to my mind these represent a great step forward in 3D printing terms in that it is all but impossible to see any of the 'striations' that this process normally demonstrates. I imagine that there will be considerable demand for this type of limited run production in future and it must be a certainty that quality will continue to improve and that prices will become more competitive.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Bah humbug! All right, scrap 'em after the record's been broken. Then scrap Rocket, City of Truro, Flying Scotsman and all the rest.

Carry on the proud British tradition of trashing our heritage.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

9 hours ago, jrg1 said:

Carry on the proud British tradition of trashing our heritage.

Yes, but then re-building them!

For example No.251.

Such a shame that Midlothian having been 'restored' then succumbed to a greater crisis.

Let us not go down the path of what is 'original' heritage!

Working machines wear out, and need repair and replacement parts.

I was interested when in York in November to see the 'original' Rocket. It clearly evolved considerably during it's working life.

As for 'Locomotion' - most of what is in Darlington 'Head of Steam' museum certainly isn't original to 1824. It did suffer a boiler explosion in 1828. Both it and the replica are on Hackworth wheels, when the originals were spoked.

I'm more concerned about the scrapping of so many railway routes and structures - when it now appears we have need of them.

Most of this has happened in my lifetime, which is quite depressing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Lecorbusier said:

Wow .... the idea of doing it all twice, but half the size frazzles my brain ..... respect !

I think mutual respect.

Your model, and both of Jerry's have earned that. 

They're all beautiful, and typical (dare I say it?) of the craftsmanship shown on this thread over time.

Thanks (to you both) for posting.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Tony

Many thanks to you and Mo for your hospitality and another most enjoyable day playing trains whilst putting the world to rights!

The two locos above, which have each missed the weathering queue so far, were both built and beautifully painted for me by Chris Phillips are first, an SR, ex-LB&SCR / Billinton E3 class 0-6-2T from a kit by EB Models (Exclusively Brighton Models), finished in early Maunsell lined goods black livery, and second, an SR / Maunsell U class 2-6-0 from a DJH kit which is finished in wartime black livery with sunshine lettering. Thanks for attending to each of these today - I shall have to let you know tomorrow whether this has put them back into the operational fleet!

The pair of SR, ex-SECR box vans are the latest production from Rails of Sheffield / Dapol in out of the box condition; to my mind these represent a great step forward in 3D printing terms in that it is all but impossible to see any of the 'striations' that this process normally demonstrates. I imagine that there will be considerable demand for this type of limited run production in future and it must be a certainty that quality will continue to improve and that prices will become more competitive.

Tony

Our pleasure Tony,

Thanks for what you brought us for Christmas as well!

And thanks for telling us about the models. With regard to the 0-6-2T, it might need an adjustment to the pony, for there's plenty of side-play in the frames now. The 2-6-0 shouldn't short-out on its front steps after my 'tweak'. It's amazing what a smear of Araldite will do! 

Any running problems with them now, please let me know. If so, I'll pop over in the New Year (I'm going to anyway).

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Most of the folders are stored on a separate hard drive linked to computer (neither of which are attached to the internet). If I need to post pictures on here, I transfer them via a memory stick. 

If I can't find a folder immediately, I ask the computer to search. 

It works for me.

Tony,

Do you have a duplicate of this external drive as a back-up? If not you must. That's the strongest language I'm ever going to use here (!) but hard-drives can and do fail so it's vital this isn't your only copy. Now drives are going over to solid state designs this is less likely to happen but the older spinning disc type drive they can wear out. I lost one such drive that stopped working but had a close duplicate and lost very little.

If you buy a second drive you don't need to worry as it can be set-up to automatically back-up for you. This process can be automated on the Mac using TimeMachine. I imagine there is a similar system on the PC so you don't have to use a remote server (Cloud) for back-up.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/12/2019 at 11:20, Tony Wright said:

'Coming home at Lime St I closely observed the new Trans Pennine loco hauled Scarborough train, a new something or other diesel electric loco an a new push pull coach set. Coaches looked nice and comfortable, loco looked quite swish & modern'

I think this is what you saw.................

262911165_6801.jpg.3ed42f6801afcb57386a2f5159ec2525.jpg

2091597552_6802.jpg.e0e787f13c21295ec8505a22ce62e956.jpg

19493650_6803.jpg.2e3f81ca349dbb7484f120519a0fe6f9.jpg

68_04.jpg.f24dd7a7ef825cada21d891e22498dfc.jpg

1382330787_6805.jpg.5a861d25f2f038e2980d320734bf2078.jpg

2044654103_6806.jpg.c9c245cb3c25ebea0fc0882ecf5a4409.jpg

454930816_6807.jpg.8afe7066f68eb357f4137c29f4bc3940.jpg

Taken at York on the 15th of October, after I'd been invited to the announcement about the Wainwright D. Entering, stationary and departing..................

I have to say I'm ambivalent about the aesthetics of the above. 

1383613602_WainwrightD01.jpg.7bffa47e4bb1ef5e34eb99f889cd50a8.jpg

I have no ambivalence about the aesthetics of the Wainwright D. Surely one of the most beautiful locos of all time, with a (complex) livery to match. A livery which complements the forms to which it's applied, not something which looks like 'dazzle' camouflage! 

Speaking of aesthetics............................

1199407028_Azuma02.jpg.85a51154bb5340858558be605746a7b0.jpg

I'm not sure about this.

Taking this picture, my mind's eye went back to the first time I was at York, as a ten year old, 63 years ago.

Back then, I saw the likes of this........................1463581254_60006York1952.jpg.8e8ae601c371965bb6fb8405c9ca4560.jpg

Granted, this is about three/four years prior to 1956, but it's apposite. Aesthetics here? Indeed!

Note the 'spotters to the left - boys. There was none in October. Just old git 'spotters like me! 

Regards,

Tony. 

Note the spotters to the right in the distance....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anglian said:

Tony,

Do you have a duplicate of this external drive as a back-up? If not you must. That's the strongest language I'm ever going to use here (!) but hard-drives can and do fail so it's vital this isn't your only copy. Now drives are going over to solid state designs this is less likely to happen but the older spinning disc type drive they can wear out. I lost one such drive that stopped working but had a close duplicate and lost very little.

If you buy a second drive you don't need to worry as it can be set-up to automatically back-up for you. This process can be automated on the Mac using TimeMachine. I imagine there is a similar system on the PC so you don't have to use a remote server (Cloud) for back-up.

It's on the 'to do' list.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, petrovich said:

Note the spotters to the right in the distance....

I think they were everywhere, Peter.

It's been mentioned before, but trainspotting was a post-War phenomenon with regard to schoolboys. It lasted probably just into the '80s as a mainstream hobby with boys, but not now. Not for a long time. 

As a schoolboy, I was a trainspotter. When I started teaching (in 1970) it was still popular with some of my charges. When I finished teaching in 1994 (at a different school) not a single pupil was interested. 

However, it lives on in model railways. When I wind-up the 'Lizzie' on my trainset, I'm back over 60 years! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jack P said:

Apologies for the long post:

My modelling year in round-up has been an eclectic mix of Plastic and metal kits, modified and repainted RTR stock. I've continually been pushing myself to try things outside my comfort zone, some of my 'proudest' achievements are below.

Repainted H2 atlantic 'Beachy Head' In late 1947 condition

40917819613_56f07cf29a_b.jpg

Repainted and slightly modified Lord Nelson 'Sir Richard Grenville'

48256586652_78502479f1_b.jpg

Progress on my first kit-built loco, I'm now on the home stretch. Lining is being finished at the moment, as well as final details. Soon to be 3221 'Beattie'

49240609771_43209eb8b7_b.jpg

Re-name/Renumber, along with some slight modification/detailing and weathering of a BR Brit for a good mate of mine:

49009292882_b4ec8482b1_b.jpg

My first leap into a new facet of this hobby, 1:64th scale NZR. Here's a 50ft Day coach. A bit of a mixed media kit. 

49190078402_312b105d03_b.jpg

And in the new year i've got this NZR Ab class loco to tackle, along with countless other SR prototypes.

49160876957_fefa4255d0_b.jpg

Roll on 2020!

What great stuff, Jack,

A first kit-built loco with that 'REMEMBRANCE'? Jolly well-done. 

As for the NZ models, my gosh!

When Dave Lewis and I were introducing new carriages/cars for his Southern Pride range of 4mm kits (Dave doing most of the work, my doing some research and test-building), we considered doing the post-War 'Golden Arrow' Pullman cars. These were unique, in the main being rebuilds, with all-metal new bodies on existing underframes, running on HD Gresley bogies. One thus had metal-bodied cars with a trussed underframe - belt and braces? The commode windows were 'square' as well, rather than oval. 

I took loads and loads of pictures of the surviving cars at Stewarts Lane (one or two run in the VSOE), but nothing came of the idea in the end. A pity, because nobody makes the post-War 'Arrow' set in 4mm. The set which was eventually repainted in the ghastly (with no regard for history!) 'reversed' blue/grey.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1