Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I find myself pleasantly bemused on Tony’s approach with the J17’s GWR firebox, and the resultant exclamations of horror!   We all make compromises from time to time and it just goes to show that he is as human as the rest of us...  

I wonder how many folk would have noticed if he’d kept quiet about it?

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Would the Wills (now SEF) N7 firebox be better?

Stewart

It would Stewart,

However, it's only the top bit which is modelled. There's nothing below the tanks the top of the tanks. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Would the proprietor of PDK be able to supply an etch for it perhaps?

I'm sure they would.

However, it's part of a much larger sheet. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Chamby said:

I find myself pleasantly bemused on Tony’s approach with the J17’s GWR firebox, and the resultant exclamations of horror!   We all make compromises from time to time and it just goes to show that he is as human as the rest of us...  

I wonder how many folk would have noticed if he’d kept quiet about it?

You don't get things like that past the assembled RMWeb panel! I saw the photo before I read the words and thought "That firebox looks odd!" I may not have spotted the GWR origins but I was pretty sure it didn't come from anywhere near Stratford.

I don't think anybody was expressing horror. Maybe more surprise that somebody who we all know builds cracking good models would do something like that!

I must say I'm slightly amused at the exclamations of 'horror' at my somewhat 'dodgy' approach at fudging a GER Belpaire firebox from a GWR one. 

'Modeller of your skill and ability'!

'Human as the rest of us'!

What next? 

I'm delighted that folk have expressed their displeasure at my being a miscreant. If one attempts to give advice and tell folk how to do things, it would be easier if my feet were not made of clay. 

To hide my 'shame', the J17 might well end up in boiling water (which will melt the solder holding the firebox in place), and then I'll make one from brass. It looks like an ill-advised short cut.

I'm also greatly in favour of asking modellers I admire what they think. That said, I don't think I'd have asked Malcolm Crawley how to build chassis without 'tight spots' or Roy Jackson how to build an A2/2, despite my having great respect for them.  

I'm also sure that, when the loco be finished (without my having shown any step-by-step pictures), painted and weathered, many would not notice the transgression. Still, it's better to come clean - I have little respect for all the swooning 'likes' one sees on some sites in response to much of what I consider mediocre - 'blind spots' and all that. 

Speaking of respect, I have lots of that commodity for folk who actually show us what they're actually making - themselves. There are many 'critics' who do that on this thread (and I thank them for it), but there are some who do not. Why not? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Speaking of respect, I have lots of that commodity for folk who actually show us what they're actually making - themselves. There are many 'critics' who do that on this thread (and I thank them for it), but there are some who do not. Why not? 

Todays 1,000,000 dollar question, its is very noticeable on RM Web in general , how so many of the loudest howlers and nit pickers , never show anything or very little of their work , some  are very good saying , I did this and that etc etc as well , perhaps they cant afford a camera.

Pot Kettle Black springs to mind ,

p.s I wouldnt have noticed the firebox !!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

20 minutes ago, micklner said:

Todays 1,000,000 dollar question, its is very noticeable on RM Web in general , how so many of the loudest howlers and nit pickers , never show anything or very little of their work , some  are very good saying , I did this and that etc etc as well , perhaps they cant afford a camera.

I take continual inspiration from this thread and many like it on here. But my work is nowhere near the standard on here etc so I prefer not to show it. But neither do I make any “snide” comments either because that would be hypocritical in the extreme. When I have something worth showing, and I remember to take photos, I will

post it on here. Hopefully that won’t be too long as I’m rather proud of a C12 I’m currently building.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I must say I'm slightly amused at the exclamations of 'horror' at my somewhat 'dodgy' approach at fudging a GER Belpaire firebox from a GWR one. 

'Modeller of your skill and ability'!

'Human as the rest of us'!

What next? 

I'm delighted that folk have expressed their displeasure at my being a miscreant. If one attempts to give advice and tell folk how to do things, it would be easier if my feet were not made of clay. 

To hide my 'shame', the J17 might well end up in boiling water (which will melt the solder holding the firebox in place), and then I'll make one from brass. It looks like an ill-advised short cut.

I'm also greatly in favour of asking modellers I admire what they think. That said, I don't think I'd have asked Malcolm Crawley how to build chassis without 'tight spots' or Roy Jackson how to build an A2/2, despite my having great respect for them.  

I'm also sure that, when the loco be finished (without my having shown any step-by-step pictures), painted and weathered, many would not notice the transgression. Still, it's better to come clean - I have little respect for all the swooning 'likes' one sees on some sites in response to much of what I consider mediocre - 'blind spots' and all that. 

An interesting point. If, for the sake of an example, somebody who knows their way around a loco but has never built a model of anything in their life sees something wrong on a model, should they comment or keep quiet? Do they have to earn the right to be a critic by producing modelling credentials?

I really don't know the answer to that one and I am interested in what people think.

I certainly wouldn't have asked Malcolm for advice on smooth running either but he had a very good eye for what looked right on a loco. Had the shape of the dome been captured just right, was there a thick edge showing when it should be a thin one, that sort of thing. Roy's strength was in his running qualities (his locos - not him!) and in his attention to accuracy of construction. If something wasn't quite parallel or straight, he would pick it up immediately.  Between the two of them, they covered all the bases!

I do think that you, Tony W, have a certain reputation within the hobby of producing good looking and great running locos. I just felt that the J17 firebox wasn't going to enhance that reputation and I felt that would have been a shame!

I will say no more on the matter as I feel I may have upset a few "regulars".

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

37 minutes ago, micklner said:

Good afternoon Mick,

'p.s I wouldnt have noticed the firebox !!'

That's very kind of you, but it is noticeable - definitely more so since I've subjected it to greater scrutiny. 

It's interesting in your observation that some critics might not be able to afford a camera. And, speaking of scrutiny, one downside of owning extremely powerful cameras is that they show every fault - in crystal clarity. 

Still, it's vital that folk should be express their observations and 'criticisms'. Nobody's work should be exempt from that (especially mine), but, as always, any 'criticism' comes from a position of greater strength when the work of the 'critics' can be scrutinised as well. That said, I'd be horrified if folk were dissuaded from showing their work one here because they didn't think it was 'good enough'. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

An interesting point. If, for the sake of an example, somebody who knows their way around a loco but has never built a model of anything in their life sees something wrong on a model, should they comment or keep quiet? Do they have to earn the right to be a critic by producing modelling credentials?

I really don't know the answer to that one and I am interested in what people think.

I certainly wouldn't have asked Malcolm for advice on smooth running either but he had a very good eye for what looked right on a loco. Had the shape of the dome been captured just right, was there a thick edge showing when it should be a thin one, that sort of thing. Roy's strength was in his running qualities (his locos - not him!) and in his attention to accuracy of construction. If something wasn't quite parallel or straight, he would pick it up immediately.  Between the two of them, they covered all the bases!

I do think that you, Tony W, have a certain reputation within the hobby of producing good looking and great running locos. I just felt that the J17 firebox wasn't going to enhance that reputation and I felt that would have been a shame!

I will say no more on the matter as I feel I may have upset a few "regulars".

Good afternoon Tony,

I've made a habit of upsetting regulars - with consummate ease; it must be a 'gift'!

Reputations are made, and made to be pulled down as well. It's very right that errors are pointed out, especially if someone then copies them. And, I don't think that one has to have done 'better' to be critical of something. That said, I always respect the view of someone who's actually made something, rather than the view of someone who's 'going to' or gets others to do their modelling for them. 

I'm disappointed that you'll be saying no more on the matter. You are a maker of things and your views carry some (in fact a lot of) respect.  

Which makes me wonder on occasions why 'we' show models 'we've' made. I must have written hundreds of articles for the model press explaining how I've made things. Why? Because I was once a teacher and wish to impart knowledge? Unlikely, since I chose teaching as a career mainly because of the length of the holidays! 

Is it because of a genuine desire to help others in their modelling? I pre-dated you as a tutor at Missenden, and my 'pupils' only ever felt they'd been 'accepted' after I'd been highly-critical of what they'd made; sparing no feelings at all!  

I suppose RMweb (and, particularly to me, this thread) is a sort of digital magazine, where 'articles' appear for scrutiny, and are commented upon -  instantly. Great feedback - good, and bad. I've certainly produced more modelling under lockdown, and posted just about all of it on here. I'd like to think some of it was interesting, amusing and even helpful. Being helpful is paramount in my motivation (that's why attend - or attended) so many shows, and it's gratifying when folk appreciate it. One chum told me the other day of a problem he'd encountered with a loco he'd bought off a deceased modeller's estate. 'It's a lovely model, but the polarity is the opposite to the norm. I'll have to change all the wheels and the pick-ups around'. 'What's the motor' I asked'. It's an open-framed D11'. 'Simple, just remove the magnet (gripping it in the jaws of big pliers to retain the magnetic flux) and turn it through 180 degrees'. Job done! My chum asked me if I could walk on water! 

Please keep your comments coming.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I appreciate your comments Tony. The respect is mutual!

When I say that I won't say more, I just mean about the dodgy firebox. Although I will hopefully be the first to tell you the new one looks so much better!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I don't think 'rights' have to be earnt through modelling credentials but some kind of appropriate authority, knowledge, experience or whatever tends to be a prerequisite which can be very different depending on the issue or subject.

And for me there is a big difference between criticism and feedback, and especially in the manner in which it is given.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Well,

I make things - which is a form of manufacturing. And, if it's wrong it should be criticised......

Regards,

Tony

Good evening Tony,

I would distinguish between those who want your money, fair game in my opinion. As long as you are not planning on producing an expensive book on firebox modelling, you are off the hook. With regard to the work of the ordinary Hobbyist, I don't usually comment unless it is something that I really like. When I do comment in a more critical way, hopefully it is constructive. I am mostly wary of saying anything, ignorance is cultivated as a virtue in model railwayland.

Generally, I'm more critical of lazy attitudes than the ups and downs of physical modelling. Getting of your backside and making something always has merit, even if it results in fireboxgate. Doing a bit of research has merit too, most can't be arsed with that one. I have to say, despite the skill and effort expended, If you know something is wrong and do it anyway, that is lazy attitude 101 and rewards ignorance in the hobby in all its forms.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 15/05/2020 at 19:05, Headstock said:

Good evening Anglian,

that applies to any paint, especially if you are spraying from too far away,  with the wrong paint mix on too high a pressure. You can compensate for temperature to some extent by working closer with a wetter mix and adjusting your pressure to suit. Inevitably, enamels are much more adaptable to taking advantage of the subtle control possible with an airbrush. The acrylics would require lots of tedious fathing about with retarders and other such chemical warfare stuff.

Thank you. That's really helpful.

• Thanks 1