Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I posted this moving footage earlier, but it disappeared. 

Tony,

I very much enjoy seeing all the footage of Little Bytham, of course including this latest offering.

I noticed that one locomotive makes a slight jump on its way South – this can be seen at 5:55 in the time line. The platelayer might need to make an adjustment.

When considering what makes for a 'great' layout I feel the originality of the overall layout concept plays some part in this. 

Edited by Anglian

I can't help feeling that just as the layout cliche of the 60s/70s/80s was the GWR branch line set in a 1930s summer, the current layout cliche at exhibitions is the diesel depot, sometimes improbably attached to a small urban terminus, with every class 66 livery variety on display and every single diesel idling on shed. TBH the last point is the most egregious. A lot of the time diesels parked up somewhere aren't idling but are either silent or making odd little clonks and drips and tapping noises from their engines, and this particular feature is not something DCC sound seems to replicate.

I have to admit that I am still yet to be truly impressed with sound chips in locos in 4mm scale. In 7mm they sound more convincing due to larger speakers and a larger bodyshell to reverberate in; most 4mm ones just sound tinny, at least that's how I hear it. That said sound can work if it's subtly done. Graham Muspratt's Canute Road Quay uses an ambient background sound file (I think it's about an hour long, on a loop) of typical dockside railway sounds such as seagulls, ringing buffers, distant flange squeals and occasional chuffing. This doesn't necessarily synchronise with the movements of the stock on the layout as it's meant to represent what is going on offstage as well as on. Played at a gentle background volume the effect is quite persuasive IMO.

Edited by SD85
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

CF is only 37 years old from inception. It was initially funded from the sale of Chiltern Green & Luton Hoo and of course the initial costs are fairly significant on any layout. The MRC has of course covered much of the cost, but that can be offset against the income from the exhibition, to some extent.  Another source for covering costs has been the writing of articles for the magazines. All the locos and stock are privately owned so that does not factor into the cost.  The layout was built to high construction standards from the very beginning and has not required any major re-builds. All-in-all, probably a reasonable investment  for the Club. 

Tim

It has kept you off the streets and out of trouble for all those years, so that has to be worthwhile!

Despite my involvement with Retford and Buckingham, I would say that some of the work that has been done on Copenhagen Fields is a notch or several above what has been accomplished on either. Even if it isn't "my sort of layout" operationally, I have followed it in the press and at shows and it is a real trailblazer in terms of concept and execution. Just watching those recent buildings develop is watching the very best in modelmaking. Plus you have developed and introduced quite a few new techniques whereas Buckingham and Retford are both done by strictly traditional methods.

I would dare to suggest that if the layout was twice the scale size and done in EM or P4, it would be on the top of the list for many as the all time favourite. I cannot see why it being in 2mm should change that. If anything, the scale makes the quality of the work all the more remarkable.

Tony G

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Re 'greatest layouts', I wonder if you recall this Tony (I suspect you do!):

20210113_145403.jpg.844f9e1d64781d436ece0af67fb125fa.jpg

And especially Appendix I (!)

20210113_145446.jpg.6957898a6dc9860cb302c480b9cbdfa5.jpg

This appears to be a joint list, drawn up by you and Bob (Essery). Although you are at pains to explain that:

'This list is not intended to be the best 100 layouts of all time or anything like that'

you do go on to say:

'It is our choice of about 100 interesting, significant, unusual, inspiring, thought-provoking and likeable layouts that we have either seen or read about'

Sounds like a definition well on its way to 'best' to me!

This was 2001, so predates Retford and Little Bytham (although there is an early 'under construction' photo of the former included). I'm sure most will be pleased / relieved to see both Borchester and Buckingham on there. Myself and Headstock (at least ) will however be disappointed NOT to see Tebay on there (which was in existence by this time).

I wonder if your criteria for selecting such layouts has shifted at all over the last 20 years, Tony?

(apologies - despite the pix being in the correct orientation this end, when posted they seem to have been rotated for reasons I know not)

I do remember it, Graham,

Bob and I had great fun putting it together (though he did most of the writing; I was really the 'happy snapper').

My criteria for what (or which) is 'best' has probably shifted down the years, especially with my insistence on an actual prototype being number 1. 

Why no Tebay? I don't remember, but part of the 100's selection (for obvious reasons) was that we had to have photographic material. Why then no Tebay, because that wasn't a problem? I think the hardest part was not what to put in, but what to leave out! Anyway, had two other authors been commissioned, the 100 list would probably have been very different. 

I'm not sure if we included our respective contemporary Dewsbury and Stoke Summit layouts, other than mentioning them in passing. To have included either in the list would have been arrogance beyond belief, something both of us abhor.  

By the way, Bob was one of the easiest (and most-professional) authors it's ever been my privilege to work with. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Re 'greatest layouts', I wonder if you recall this Tony (I suspect you do!):

20210113_145403.jpg.844f9e1d64781d436ece0af67fb125fa.jpg

And especially Appendix I (!)

20210113_145446.jpg.6957898a6dc9860cb302c480b9cbdfa5.jpg

This appears to be a joint list, drawn up by you and Bob (Essery). Although you are at pains to explain that:

'This list is not intended to be the best 100 layouts of all time or anything like that'

you do go on to say:

'It is our choice of about 100 interesting, significant, unusual, inspiring, thought-provoking and likeable layouts that we have either seen or read about'

Sounds like a definition well on its way to 'best' to me!

This was 2001, so predates Retford and Little Bytham (although there is an early 'under construction' photo of the former included). I'm sure most will be pleased / relieved to see both Borchester and Buckingham on there. Myself and Headstock (at least ) will however be disappointed NOT to see Tebay on there (which was in existence by this time).

I wonder if your criteria for selecting such layouts has shifted at all over the last 20 years, Tony?

(apologies - despite the pix being in the correct orientation this end, when posted they seem to have been rotated for reasons I know not)

Not I Grahame,

being a born rebel, I can't think of anything more depressing than being declared significant by the in crowd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I fully agree, most of them look like a depot master's nightmare. As for the sound there is no point to it except trying to impress others that you spent twice as much on the same model. And worst when they site that Piggy thing as an inspiration. All my depot layouts have been inspired by British Railways.

Steam depot layouts also can be very wrong, there was one a few years ago I had to walk away from as I started to giggle too loudly. My mate who was with me asked why was I laughing, as the stock  (locos) and buildings were well made and weathered. It was when I asked him where are the coaling facilities he ushered me away so we both could have a good laugh.

God bless the Piggy thing and its enormous jib. If your going to be the greatest, you need to be enormous.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

38 minutes ago, Anglian said:

Tony,

I very much enjoy seeing all the footage of Little Bytham, of course including this latest offering.

I noticed that one locomotive makes a slight jump on its way South – this can be seen at 5:55 in the time line. The platelayer might need to make an adjustment.

When considering what makes for a 'great' layout I feel the originality of the overall layout concept plays some part in this. 

Tim,

I know; it's one of the V2s. 

I really should have deleted it, but I was in a rush to get it 'shot' and didn't have time to check the footage before it went to Howard for editing. It occurred at the 'V' of the point, and is most-annoying. Needless to say, I've subsequently tried it again (and again) and nothing but smooth passage is the result! All I can put it down to is that one of the loco's drivers is not 100% at right angles to its axle; just a twitch, no more. Thus, the driver's gone through the 'V' at its tightest point (a one in 360 chance?), causing the jolt. 

It must also be remembered (though I'm not offering an excuse) is that LB's scenic-side pointwork is made to 'finescale' OO standards (an admitted misnomer), which means it will find an errant b-t-b. At least it didn't derail (if it had, I would have just scrapped the footage, of course), and it also shows (I hope) that all the other locos/stock are entirely compatible with the trackwork.

That said, since I'm zealous (overly so?) about good running, the loco will be investigated.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Problem with that list is.. there are a  lot of very good layouts which have never appeared in print.. there are also a number of layouts which look good in photos but run like a bag of spanners.. some of which are on the list..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm not sure if we included our respective contemporary Dewsbury and Stoke Summit layouts, other than mentioning them in passing. To have included either in the list would have been arrogance beyond belief, something both of us abhor.  

In which case, you'll be horrified to know that both were included!

Their inclusion was clarified thus:

'In order that readers can judge own efforts, we have included both Stoke Summit and Dewsbury - they are 'extras' rather than part of our listing.'

Perhaps your criteria has altered in the intervening years?!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Richard,

Yes, it is a model of me (the ultimate in layout cliches?). I was scanned by Modelu, printed and then (superbly) painted by Anglian. 

me.jpg.2a1b74734ef6de2f2a0c46162996af62.jpg

The slight paunch, the slight stoop, the dishevelled look, ill-fitting trousers, baggy top, the receding hairline, the look of someone in need of help, it's me to a tee!

I don't know what I said about someone being 'departed'.

Regards,

Tony. 

I have to say that for a model of a human (is that right, Tony?!) that must be all of an inch tall, it does look EXACTLY like you. Incredible really!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Problem with that list is.. there a lot of very good layouts which have neve appeared in print.. there are also a number of layouts which look good in photos but run like a bag of spanners.. some of which are on teh list..

Baz

Hi Baz

I agree with you.

Have you ever gone to an exhibition slightly excited that a layout that looks the bees knees in print turns out to be :boredom:

At other times seen a layout that is so :locomotive: which you were not expecting.

I did find Tony's attribute of pedigree to what makes a good a layout some what odd. Some the names were just names and meant nothing to me. Wow that was close a lightning bolt form the steam model railway god just missed me. It would be like me saying unless these blokes were involved in the making of the model it is useless, likes of Paul Wade, Phil Eames, Si Bendall, Andi Dell, Alan Monk and Keir Hardy. All excellent Diesel and Electric modellers but rarely mentioned in the realms of Wright Writes. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3
  • Agree 9

21 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

. . .  likes of Paul Wade, Phil Eames, Si Bendall, Andi Dell, Alan Monk and Keir Hardy. All excellent Diesel and Electric modellers but rarely mentioned in the realms of Wright Writes. 

and Dicky Dockerill?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Red Leader

1705638612_bestlayoutslist.jpg.1d0e288968205987de1a988823a36cdb.jpg

hope this helps...

Baz

I think the list of articles for Buckingham is missing a few. Something over 100 could be added but perhaps the list is specifically for articles about the layout, rather than how things were made for it. Has any author had more articles published, covering a wider range of subject matter?

Everything from scratchbuilding a wagon axlebox to the still mysterious and unfathomable article on the Automatic Crispin. "Pin A moves wiper B to make contact with strip C which activates motor D which drives wheel E". I must have read it a dozen times and gave up with a hurting brain. It didn't really matter as I would never have anything like that to deal with......

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

In which case, you'll be horrified to know that both were included!

Their inclusion was clarified thus:

'In order that readers can judge own efforts, we have included both Stoke Summit and Dewsbury - they are 'extras' rather than part of our listing.'

Perhaps your criteria has altered in the intervening years?!

Exactly,

Not part of our listing!

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Baz

I agree with you.

Have you ever gone to an exhibition slightly excited that a layout that looks the bees knees in print turns out to be :boredom:

At other times seen a layout that is so :locomotive: which you were not expecting.

I did find Tony's attribute of pedigree to what makes a good a layout some what odd. Some the names were just names and meant nothing to me. Wow that was close a lightning bolt form the steam model railway god just missed me. It would be like me saying unless these blokes were involved in the making of the model it is useless, likes of Paul Wade, Phil Eames, Si Bendall, Andi Dell, Alan Monk and Keir Hardy. All excellent Diesel and Electric modellers but rarely mentioned in the realms of Wright Writes. 

I find your response somewhat odd, Clive.

Though some of the names I mentioned are (obviously) not known to you, does it matter? All have an excellent 'pedigree', and their work has regularly appeared in the model press and at exhibitions. 

Interestingly, I DO know some of the names on your list (I've photographed Tonbridge West Yard, and taken pictures of Wibnenshaw). Is Phil Eames of Calcutta Sidings? In that case, I've taken snaps of that. 

Why have the names on your list not appeared on Wright writes? Is it my fault? 'Wibble' (KH) posts on here from time to time, though I doubt if many (or any?) on my list post on diesel/electric sites. That said, John Phillips is building a cracking EM model of Doncaster in the 1970s, with Tony Gee making the pointwork. Do you know about that? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, grob1234 said:

I have to say that for a model of a human (is that right, Tony?!) that must be all of an inch tall, it does look EXACTLY like you. Incredible really!

Thanks Tom,

Though the thanks should go to Alan (who made 'me') and Tim (who painted 'me'). 

'I'm' actually on two other layouts as well (can't you just hear the groans?); Tom Foster's and Ian Wilson's. 

Regards,

Tony. 

7 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Tom,

Though the thanks should go to Alan (who made 'me') and Tim (who painted 'me'). 

'I'm' actually on two other layouts as well (can't you just hear the groans?); Tom Foster's and Ian Wilson's. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Actually it looks nothing like Tony, He's not got a soldering iron in his hand or a box of loco bits at his side !!

God this lockdown is sending me doolally !!!!

Brit15

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

50 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I doubt if many (or any?) on my list post on diesel/electric sites. 

Hmm, that makes it sound like this site is a steam only one (which it's not) and is not for diesel/electric modellers to post on, or that this thread is the preserve of steam era enthusiasts only. I thought it was for all modellers who make some constructional effort and presumably regardless of any scale or any genre.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Sir might decree a diesel day on WW, as a lockdown special event?  I’m sure that most of us have got one or two claggy little secrets hidden away somewhere.    I’ll show you mine, if you’ll show me yours...   ;)

• Funny 6

9 minutes ago, grahame said:

Hmm, that makes it sound like this site is a steam only one (which it's not) and is not for diesel/electric modellers to post on, or that this thread is the preserve of steam era enthusiasts only. I thought it was for all modellers who make some constructional effort and presumably regardless of any scale or any genre.

This thread is Tony's and I suspect his interests are mainly but certainly not all around the 1958 BR era,  and he very kindly allows the thread to become broad 'church'.   He even tolerates my digitally-altered false images at times, but diesels, no that's a bridge too far in my opinion.:) 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, robmcg said:

This thread is Tony's and I suspect his interests are mainly but certainly not all around the 1958 BR era,  and he very kindly allows the thread to become broad 'church'.   He even tolerates my digitally-altered false images at times, but diesels, no that's a bridge too far in my opinion.:) 

Tony seems to like Deltics...... Must be an ECML thing.

• Funny 5