Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Rob,

The angle of the eccentric rod is always dependent on the position of the cranks. 

The problem for Hornby is that it's either in this position or virtually dead straight. The front end of the eccentric rod is never higher (apart from the tiniest twitch) than the back end, as it is in reality. 

The pictures of the Hornby A3s have appeared before, but this topic keeps on occurring...

377372046_HornbyA360054.jpg.e3d0477df4e2412ba1cdac913b085327.jpg

At top dead centre, the front end of the eccentric rod should be slightly higher than the rear. 

Like this.......

108146926_SEFinecastA36006301.jpg.357ca659f81e2b15c3b6f562d0d2f7c3.jpg

Dear old ISINGLASS is getting on a bit now (approaching her quarter century). I built this from an SEF kit, and Ian Rathbone painted it. She's been well-used (on Stoke Summit, Charwelton and Little Bytham - one of the front buffers has taken a knock) but still goes well. In many (most?) ways one could argue that the Hornby body is crisper and more-accurate (other than the superfluous wiggly pipe on this side of the smokebox), but it's the weird motion which lets it down, especially in motion.

518097814_HornbyA3CAMERONIAN.jpg.239c303438a81f4a0fd56c922bfad57f.jpg

At bottom dead centre, the eccentric rod angle is ridiculous. 

This is the angle it should be at.

866050891_SEFinecastA36006302.jpg.f27f50036c821eb7cf84b1ca5f294191.jpg

I accept that not all want to build A3s; there are many who can't, and the Hornby A3 allows them to own a very good model (like many others, of course). It's just that there's a 'poetry in motion' appearance of Gresley gear as one of his Pacifics glides by; not something captured by the manic whirling of Hornby's A3 motion. Or, on some, there's hardly any motion at all. 

60063.jpg.44683326fc62712ef937eaeeaac1d858.jpg

Not quite at bottom dead centre, but it illustrates the point. 

Regards,

Tony

Rather like this photo-edited valve gear on a Hornby 'Brown Jack', below.   Lovely model and even I could change the front wheels, but the valve gear I will look to your expertise with Minoru.

Again I appreciate this is a modelling thread and no place for my edited pics. Will remove if asked.

'Brown Jack' being the last A3 built is rather special though, and full marks to Hornby for making such a range of A1s and A3s.

60043_A3_Portrait30_10a_r1800ab.jpg.bb21f3b782df84b514243f0672d37fa7.jpg

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

57 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Rather like this photo-edited valve gear on a Hornby 'Brown Jack', below.   Lovely model and even I could change the front wheels, but the valve gear I will look to your expertise with Minoru.

Again I appreciate this is a modelling thread and no place for my edited pics. Will remove if asked.

'Brown Jack' being the last A3 built is rather special though, and full marks to Hornby for making such a range of A1s and A3s.

60043_A3_Portrait30_10a_r1800ab.jpg.bb21f3b782df84b514243f0672d37fa7.jpg

Good evening robmcg,

I'm not a great fan of the Hornby A3, It's got some good features, some not so good and some poor. The ride height of the tender is a big no thanks to me, it looks like it's stood on tip toe. One little feature of the real locomotives, that was featured on earlier Hornby models, was the daylight visible under the boiler between the saddle and the front splasher. Hornby have 'bricked this up', what a bummer.

On the other hand, the SEF A3 has a superb looking boiler and firebox with much better scale boiler bands, but a terrible representation of a Gresley smokebox door. I also suspect the platform and the frames are too short between the smokebox and the bufferbeam. It's a shame about the demise of the DJH kit, with some minor alteration to the firebox, it was better than either the Hornby or SEF models.

On 10/05/2020 at 14:15, Tony Wright said:

Good afternoon Richard,

The rebuilt GREAT NORTHERN must rank as one of the most controversial locos of all time.

545439937_twoGresleyA1s.jpg.6fb5f062b6e479bf36d506a71abd2b17.jpg

The A1s are marvellous in O Gauge in particular. This beautiful pair was built/painted by Steve Barnfield. 

And so to the solitary A1/1.

I

Good evening Tony,

I remember seeing those two models in the flesh. I agree, absolutely beautiful and totally inspiring work.

Good Morning Tony,

thank you for taking the time to enhance my knowledge of Peppercorn A1  pacifics.  It is very much appreciated.

I do now, slightly recall putting together a summary of Loco's fitted with Split Handrails on the smokebox and that also makes reference to 117 Boilers, but that was only yesterday evening after I had read your response.

I trust that you and Mo are keeping safe.

Kind regards,Derek.

• Thanks 1

On 10/05/2020 at 20:51, polybear said:

Just a wee hut; not a gorgeous Pacific, but it is modelling, albeit akin to eating scrambled egg with a comb from a shoe. Roof, roof frame and door unattached for ease of painting, and so I can get at the innards when they finally let me fly home 

IMG_20200512_1602151.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the model A3s and the prototype photos, seen roughly the same size on a screen, it does make me wonder why people bother with a raised boiler band in 4mm scale.

I would think that the thickness of a waterslide transfer would be just about scale thickness. Even the thinnest of etch or tape is over scale.

On those Steve Barnfield 7mm versions, which are truly lovely models, I don't think he has used anything more than the thickness of the lining itself and they look so much better for that. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

Tony,

It took me more than eight days to build the Parkside hoppers in my last post. If you carry on at this rate your stash will be exhausted by the time we come out lockdown. Not getting much modelling done at the moment, seem to be going from one issue to another at work but  I’ve decided that after seeing Jessie revamp a DJH J9/10 I’d do the same with mine. Of all the jobs I could do that’s the one that will give me the quickest return.

Anyway, Everbody keep safe and hope you keep well.

Robert

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Tony,

It took me more than eight days to build the Parkside hoppers in my last post. If you carry on at this rate your stash will be exhausted by the time we come out lockdown. Not getting much modelling done at the moment, seem to be going from one issue to another at work but  I’ve decided that after seeing Jessie revamp a DJH J9/10 I’d do the same with mine. Of all the jobs I could do that’s the one that will give me the quickest return.

Anyway, Everbody keep safe and hope you keep well.

Robert

Good evening Robert,

I've just done a quick count of loco/carriage kits on my workshop shelves. Total: 25.

A few to do then.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Robert,

I've just done a quick count of loco/carriage kits on my workshop shelves. Total: 25.

A few to do then.

Regards,

Tony. 

Genuinely thought you'd have more than that, Tony. 25 is a perfectly reasonable stash. I have about 12 or so in mine, and a healthy supply of motors too, importantly.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

Genuinely thought you'd have more than that, Tony. 25 is a perfectly reasonable stash. I have about 12 or so in mine, and a healthy supply of motors too, importantly.

That doesn't include the ones in the shed, Tom!

Fortunately, I too have a stash of motors and an adequate supply of wheels of all sizes.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

That doesn't include the ones in the shed, Tom!

Fortunately, I too have a stash of motors and an adequate supply of wheels of all sizes.

Regards,

Tony. 

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Robert,

A few to do then.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hopefully by the time you’ve completed those you’ll be free to rummage around stalls at exhibitions and find a bargain just waiting to be built.

Happy modelling (all)

Robert

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

Only a few metal loco kits amongst them, but based on the progress rate of the last ten years, to complete my locos and rolling stock project backlog will only require me to live about another 300 years.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

Only a few metal loco kits amongst them, but based on the progress rate of the last ten years, to complete my locos and rolling stock project backlog will only require me to live about another 300 years.

300 years would be about right for my 12 as well. 25 years per kit. Seems pretty quick to me... :O

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2020 at 15:39, zr2498 said:

It's been a while, but at last the first abutment of the twin span bridge is installed.

The assembly was photographed outside to highlight the weathering.

This is made up of Townstreet castings (semi-scratch built), as components had to be spliced together to accomodate the width of the truss bridge. The arch is also lower than the standard design which is usually used as a tunnel entrance.

It was painted initially with Colron wood dye, and then weathered via enamel filters and washes, followed by various pigments

The central support pillar will need some position adjustment but I will spot the second abutment before doing this.

The bridges will eventually receive plated decks and ballasting. No excuses - plenty of time to get on with it!

Cheers

Dave

I am sitting here with my mouth open. I am in awe of your modelling.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Kits on the shelf.....

I think I have 6 loco kits, 7 or 8 coaches and countless wagons.... If I really pulled my finger out, build a loco a month... Too many other distractions though...

Turning out a Pacific in a few days Tony, I'm well impressed!

Regards

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

8 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I have finally got on and put your advice on couplings to use and got the first of my completed formations fitted with new couplings (along with with corridor connections.) 

this is my attempt at the 21:50 Paddington to Penzance sleeper (or rather the Penzance portion of it given my layouts inability to handle 12 coach trains).  All have been fitted with wire hook and loop couplings in the buffer beams (soldered

to pads on the chassis on all bar the J12 which is soldered to the buffer beam.  Card corridor connections (eBay) are fitted to one end of each coach. 

12E62AD2-B0F0-4A06-84C9-993C097F0BD3.jpeg.1a816f7ac4dfbe9c5abc93b07c6a5fba.jpeg0BA4B35E-39EE-4DD7-87DF-49DF7A77EE67.jpeg.9fa8d74cd26df0b64fe4c5969ed37514.jpeg

Hornby Hawksworth brake third (couplings and chassis weathering, along with a new number are the only changes.

Hornby Collett (bow end) third, roof repainted, changed to post war crest with G W R above it

BSL kit built J12 sleeper

Slaters kit built Toplight composite 

Mainline “sunshine stock” third, all lettering removed and rebranded to 1940s G W R over crest.  Roof repainted grey and interior painted.

Hornby Bow End D95 brake third, roof repainted, branding changed to great crest western. 

Looking good, Rich,

Thanks for showing us.

The big question is 'Do they work?'.

Regards,

Tony. 

39 minutes ago, dibateg said:

Kits on the shelf.....

I think I have 6 loco kits, 7 or 8 coaches and countless wagons.... If I really pulled my finger out, build a loco a month... Too many other distractions though...

Turning out a Pacific in a few days Tony, I'm well impressed!

Regards

Tony

Good morning Tony,

Do you remember when we were building the locos/stock for Stoke and Charwelton? 

It was incredibly prolific, with almost every week something new being brought for 'inspection'. 'I think that's sh!t!' And it being taken away and put right........ 

I find myself with fewer distractions from my modelling nowadays (even more so in lockdown). Having no longer played cricket for some four years, weekends are now free (not that any cricket is being played at the moment). 

During the last few weeks we've done some household/gardening chores (including some decorating!), but most of my days are now spent in my workshop/photo studio/computer room, building models, taking pictures and writing articles/subbing for BRM/book reviews for BRM. 

The kitchen and its environs remain a mystery, so I don't do anything there. Given the amount of time now available, turning out one loco a week is practicable. Of course, some of these are commissions.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Hopefully by the time you’ve completed those you’ll be free to rummage around stalls at exhibitions and find a bargain just waiting to be built.

Happy modelling (all)

Robert

Good morning Robert,

A mate has just emailed me to tell me that he's sending me two parcels of locos to be built/fixed.

Some of the 'results' will be sold for Cancer Research UK. 

Speaking of CRUK, Mo and I have sent nothing to the charity since lockdown. No visitors' donations when they come to see LB and no donations from my loco-doctoring at shows. 

The impact on most charities must be horrendous.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Looking good, Rich,

Thanks for showing us.

The big question is 'Do they work?'.

Regards,

Tony. 

I haven’t tested under power yet, but it all worked fine pushing (wrong road) from the fiddleyard into the station for the photo.  I have taken one coach back inside for a small adjustment as it looked a little tight, (the benefit of soldering!) while the Mainline third’s corridor connections were a tad long so I reduced the thickness and let the paper gangway fill the gap.

I will be doing the same for my Centenary take next, it will be great to see that back of those huge plastic tension locks!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, James Fitzjames said:

Just a wee hut; not a gorgeous Pacific, but it is modelling, albeit akin to eating scrambled egg with a comb from a shoe. Roof, roof frame and door unattached for ease of painting, and so I can get at the innards when they finally let me fly home 

IMG_20200512_1602151.jpg

A terrific piece of work,  The texture and colouring of the concrete is as good as anything I've seen- would you be willing to share how it was achieved?

Tone

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

28 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Robert,

A mate has just emailed me to tell me that he's sending me two parcels of locos to be built/fixed.

Some of the 'results' will be sold for Cancer Research UK. 

Speaking of CRUK, Mo and I have sent nothing to the charity since lockdown. No visitors' donations when they come to see LB and no donations from my loco-doctoring at shows. 

The impact on most charities must be horrendous.

Regards,

Tony. 

Morning Tony,

When lockdown is finally over I will gladly donate to CRUK to come visit Little Bytham, will be great to finally meet you also. 

Lockdown has been good for me layout wise, I’ve been able to finish my garage conversion and reassemble Richmond, as well as build the extension boards, lay more track and run some trains(for testing obviously!). I’ve also managed to finish a Parkside wagon kit and my most recent two Ian Kirk Gresley articulated twin set kits

DB41E38E-81C4-41AF-BFBB-8EA3B4D163B3.jpeg.9c4b5c10e9e6499c1f1b5e13e6774080.jpeg

To test the track currently laid, Hornby L1 67755 of Darlington shed waits to leave platform 1 with a train of Ian Kirk articulated twins. 
I’m itching to try a brass kit, so I may attempt an MSE NER signalbox kit soon, although I do have to go back to work as of today, so time on the layout will begin to dwindle off.

Chris G

• Like 10

Tony,

You referred to charities, I know that Guide Dogs have a massive Logistics nightmare as well of the obvious financial impact. As they breed almost all of their Puppies in house they are now getting a weekly birthrate,that can't be trained at the present time. Part of the training regime is to go off to Puppy Walkers to be trained in social doggy behaviour,getting them used to going on public  transport,in cars  and into shops,being trained to toilet on command and lots of other things. There are now about 7 weeks of dogs with puppy Walkers ready to go into the next  stages of training

but that is not happening and the end result of all this is people waiting for a Guide Dog for the first time and others waiting for a replacement dog will have an even longer wait. My "Other" half has just asked me what will happen to the puppies born in the last 7 weeks or so and frankly I don't know,I presume when they are older they may go to the police or customs as sniffer dogs, unless of course training can be ramped up. After the announcement yesterday about "Furloughing" being extended until October I fear the problem will get worse before it gets better. I know that retired Guide Dogs are much in demand, Guide Dog puppies sales  would lead to a stampede if it ever happened.

Keep safe guys.

Regards,Derek.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10