Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Hello Tony et al,

Thought you might be interested in what I've taken on for my loco build project this year (I'm going to try and do one a year from now on - famous last words!)

I've had it 'in stock' for over 20 years now and, despite it being from a former era of kits, well ... what else am I going to do with it?! At least, with a decent motor inside, it should have some pulling power up Shap!

Anyone else out there made one of these before? Any advice? (apart from 'Don't!')

More on the Hills of the North thread.

DSC01374.JPG

DSC01371.JPG

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Are these any use? :)

816645668_Kit1.jpg.ecef028bbc27971ba97cc2e3dae76f6d.jpg

101516242_Kit2.jpg.2fb95973d7878fe23bb81ae54762e056.jpg

243189484_Kit3.jpg.19d571daa108958acd075366e5f2c758.jpg

Of course there's no guarantee this kit is complete....

Thanks Iain and Jonathan for the extra info.

Currently away from home but will check on my return at the weekend. The photos will be a great help.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Hello Tony et al,

Thought you might be interested in what I've taken on for my loco build project this year (I'm going to try and do one a year from now on - famous last words!)

I've had it 'in stock' for over 20 years now and, despite it being from a former era of kits, well ... what else am I going to do with it?! At least, with a decent motor inside, it should have some pulling power up Shap!

Anyone else out there made one of these before? Any advice? (apart from 'Don't!')

DSC01374.JPG

DSC01371.JPG

It should be OK Graham,

My experience in having built a few Millholme kits leads me to two conclusions.

1. You certainly get full value for money with regards to the amount of white metal contained in them.

2. The amount of white metal is the only good thing in the firm's A2/2 and A2/3 kits. Melt it down or pound it into lumps for ballast is what it's best for. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Hello Tony et al,

DSC01374.JPG

DSC01371.JPG

My experience with Millholme kits is limited to some of the GCR types they did. So I can't comment on the Patriot.

I found that you need to make a choice before you get very far. You can build the kit as it comes, which is fairly straightforward with the ones I have tried and you will end up with a loco that is something a bit like what it is supposed to be but will be a bit chunky and not dead accurate. What some might call a "layout loco". If it goes by fast enough for you to not see the faults you can get away with it.

The alternative is to put a lot of work into it to correct the faults and to turn it into a decent model. Be prepared to alter parts, thin the edges of the thick parts, perhaps make some new bits. All the tender interior and the cab roof on my Q4 were replaced. Below the footplate was a bit bare, so some detail was added there. 

When I was a relative novice I tried the first approach and at that stage and level of experience I was happy with the results. Later builds switched to the second approach and that is the way I would do one now. I still have one more to do, a GCR 4-6-0, which I hope to make into a decent model one day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Speaking of Millholme kits................

2063671908_H1618.jpg.72b18a823a8594ba760c595b99dfc832.jpg

This H16 I built for a friend turned out quite well. Brass substitute parts were fitted as appropriate.

I have a Millholme loco running on Little Bytham............................

1967562192_2P4045402.jpg.ffc4fd1789855bdc77e7d6e3e6da7088.jpg

With a South Eastern Finecast Midland tender, and a bit of modification to turn this into a Midland-built 2P.

2134168037_2P40454onNotts-KingsLynnthree-set.jpg.e5b593d43b945b8247e1f3c31f95dbd4.jpg

As a 'layout loco' in a layout setting? 

Here's a Millholme A2/3......................

526783929_MillholmeA23.jpg.32a9d2a2ea3f37c3768c5f8b128c51e9.jpg

I originally built this for friend Harry Anstess, for use on Biggleswade. I told him the kit was cr@p, but he insisted I build it for him. He painted/weathered it. Unfortunately, he didn't weather it enough to obliterate its ghastliness! I told him it needed a new smokebox/boiler/firebox/footplate, cab and tender (for starters), but he wasn't prepared to stand the extra costs. 

I did replace the motion, however.

How was I able to photograph it on Little Bytham, considering it was built well over 20 years ago? It came up for sale at one York show, another friend bought it (my not knowing), found out I'd built it and brought it down to run. Which it did, but he was a bit miffed when I explained (at great length!) what was wrong with it. 

A 'layout loco'? Yes, as long as the layout is a cr@p one! 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 10
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

My experience with Millholme kits is limited to some of the GCR types they did. So I can't comment on the Patriot.

I found that you need to make a choice before you get very far. You can build the kit as it comes, which is fairly straightforward with the ones I have tried and you will end up with a loco that is something a bit like what it is supposed to be but will be a bit chunky and not dead accurate. What some might call a "layout loco". If it goes by fast enough for you to not see the faults you can get away with it.

The alternative is to put a lot of work into it to correct the faults and to turn it into a decent model. Be prepared to alter parts, thin the edges of the thick parts, perhaps make some new bits. All the tender interior and the cab roof on my Q4 were replaced. Below the footplate was a bit bare, so some detail was added there. 

When I was a relative novice I tried the first approach and at that stage and level of experience I was happy with the results. Later builds switched to the second approach and that is the way I would do one now. I still have one more to do, a GCR 4-6-0, which I hope to make into a decent model one day.

Here's a Millholme Q4, Tony..................

Q4.jpg.b17947a9c743968b3d6787c32cea76d0.jpg

I can't recall who built this/brought this along.

Chunky?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, robertcwp said:

Those visiting Retford on Sunday were spared the site of a terrible disaster involving 60006 Sir Ralph Wedgwood on the Talisman, which occurred on Monday by Babworth box:

51217289896_a8eb838f01_c.jpgIMG_0954m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

There were no eyewitnesses to the actual collision but early investigations indicate that the signal had collapsed across the tracks and was run into by the train, which was too close to stop.

The signal in question is I believe only a temporary, non-working one, that was not fixed down and simply chose that moment to fall over. 60006 seemed to escape unharmed.

It is just as well for you that Roy isn't around to see you post that. He would not have approved.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I found that you need to make a choice before you get very far. You can build the kit as it comes ...  The alternative is to put a lot of work into it to correct the faults and to turn it into a decent model. Be prepared to alter parts, thin the edges of the thick parts, perhaps make some new bits.  

Thanks Tony,

Yes, it will be Route 2 I will be following. Having built a reasonable number of kits over the years (nothing like as prodigious as the thread host mind!), I quite enjoy the notion of taking the kit as a starting point and adding to / amending it as I go along. What's important to me is that the fundamental dimensions are correct and that the main parts look 'right'. You can't throw detail at something for which the basics are just plain 'wrong' in my view.

In that regard, the kit doesn't seem too bad so far. The wheel spacings are within a mill. of being OK (and I'm using 26mm drivers anyway), the footplating is the right length and I've now got it set to the right height.

I shall indeed be doing a lot 'downstairs'. I enjoy meddling with motion and valve gear so I've already started making preparations for that. Meanwhile, the tender supplied is plain rather than rivetted so an alternative may be needed there (the majority of pictures show Patriots towing rivetted tenders; it seems to be the other way round for the Jubilees that had Fowler tenders). So plenty to keep me occupied!  

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Here's a Millholme Q4, Tony..................

Q4.jpg.b17947a9c743968b3d6787c32cea76d0.jpg

I can't recall who built this/brought this along.

Chunky?

Regards,

Tony. 

In some respects yes. I won't say more than that as I try very hard to follow my own policy of not being critical of the work of others in the public domain, especially when I don't know who they are.

That is a well put together kit but there are certain aspects of it that I changed or replaced on mine that haven't been done on that one.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

It should be OK Graham,

My experience in having built a few Millholme kits leads me to two conclusions.

1. You certainly get full value for money with regards to the amount of white metal contained in them.

2. The amount of white metal is the only good thing in the firm's A2/2 and A2/3 kits. Melt it down or pound it into lumps for ballast is what it's best for. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I have a Millholme Ivatt Class 4 in the roundtuit pile. Should I now be nervous?

Mark

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, MarkC said:

I have a Millholme Ivatt Class 4 in the roundtuit pile. Should I now be nervous?

Mark

The Millholme 4 was ok if hard work in places. I've got one built, to get rid of and another waiting as you can't really justify too many. 

On the subject of Millholme has anyone ever built the GCR Q1. A part built kit has come in with some others and its do you try to finish it or sell it?

Thanks

Duncan

1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

Those visiting Retford on Sunday were spared the site of a terrible disaster involving 60006 Sir Ralph Wedgwood on the Talisman, which occurred on Monday by Babworth box:

51217289896_a8eb838f01_c.jpgIMG_0954m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

There were no eyewitnesses to the actual collision but early investigations indicate that the signal had collapsed across the tracks and was run into by the train, which was too close to stop.

The signal in question is I believe only a temporary, non-working one, that was not fixed down and simply chose that moment to fall over. 60006 seemed to escape unharmed.

This is not a staged photo. This did actually happen. I was testing the A4 after working on the tender which had a terrible wobble. I was feeling very pleased because the wobble had been cured and neither me nor Robert had seen that the signal had fallen over the track. Several expletives were uttered but fortunately both signal and loco escaped without damage.

The photo does emphasise that the loco needs to be weathered. At the moment she (he?) is as made by Hornby apart from being converted to EM gauge.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

20 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

...but apart from that it was perfect?

Not quite, John,

The cylinders were too obese, the bogie too porcine in width for OO (and also too short) and the front steps were far too fat (are there any more adjectives describing things being too large?). 

Regards,

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, MarkC said:

Mark

Nervous Mark?

No, be afraid, be very afraid...........................

Joking apart...............

1189031579_Retford2342102Ivatt4MT.jpg.dc291045b59c6f6d6db1f1c5fcd34c69.jpg

Here's the Millholme Ivatt 4 'Flying Pig' which was donated last year for CRUK (why can't I remember names?). It was part-built in EM (rather well), and I completed it, painted/numbered/lettered it and weathered it. I then made a donation to CRUK, and then gave the loco to Sandra Orpen by way of my helping with the work to do on Retford. It does look OK and runs really well. 

A good enough 'layout loco'?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Here's a Millholme A2/3......................

526783929_MillholmeA23.jpg.32a9d2a2ea3f37c3768c5f8b128c51e9.jpg

I've never commented on a model in the way I'm tempted to at the moment....... I'll just say that it's even worse than my WSM J6 which is still in OO and rarely sees light of day. I can't help but adding that the proportions of cab and tender are just so yuck and the cab roof looks like a bomb shelter roof!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

In some respects yes. I won't say more than that as I try very hard to follow my own policy of not being critical of the work of others in the public domain, especially when I don't know who they are.

That is a well put together kit but there are certain aspects of it that I changed or replaced on mine that haven't been done on that one.

I respect your sensitivities Tony,

Regards,

Tony. 

1 minute ago, Clem said:

I've never commented on a model in the way I'm tempted to at the moment....... I'll just say that it's even worse than my WSM J6 which is still in OO and rarely sees light of day. I can't help but adding that the proportions of cab and tender are just so yuck and the cab roof looks like a bomb shelter roof!

Thanks Clem,

At last, a series of forthright comments. Entirely 'un-woke' and just what I love to see!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Nervous Mark?

No, be afraid, be very afraid...........................

Joking apart...............

1189031579_Retford2342102Ivatt4MT.jpg.dc291045b59c6f6d6db1f1c5fcd34c69.jpg

Here's the Millholme Ivatt 4 'Flying Pig' which was donated last year for CRUK (why can't I remember names?). It was part-built in EM (rather well), and I completed it, painted/numbered/lettered it and weathered it. I then made a donation to CRUK, and then gave the loco to Sandra Orpen by way of my helping with the work to do on Retford. It does look OK and runs really well. 

A good enough 'layout loco'?

Regards,

Tony. 

Nice job, Tony. I definitely need one for Scalby though - possible project for my next tour of duty. We'll see. If it turns out like that Airfix/Kemilway Standard 4 that I brought down to have a run on LB, I'll be happy.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Clem said:

But,

Just to prove (I hope) that I can build an A2/3 which looks like an A2/3...................

1172597694_A236051601.jpg.566a2902caff77c87833040d5a5339e0.jpg

From a similar angle to the really sh!tty one, built from a DJH kit. Ian Rathbone's painting helps, of course.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

From a similar angle to the really sh!tty one, built from a DJH kit. Ian Rathbone's painting helps, of course.

Dear Tony,

I'm shocked! Not the sort of language one heard in Eastleigh Works Erecting shop!

Your A2/3 V2.0 looks fine!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1

The 10.10 am King's Cross-Glasgow Queen Street has now joined the Retford trains.

The tricky bit was that the train included an ex-Coronation dining twin. This was built by Brian Kirby from a Mailcoach kit, including adding the extra door. Here it is on the layout:

51217580051_676126da7b_c.jpgIMG_0948m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

And here is the train, headed by 60539 Bronzino, recently built by Sandra: https://youtu.be/0mRANFVv_d4

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1