Mixed stations - Preserved and Mainline

ollieholmes

Ive been toying with some ideas for my first layout and Ive gone off the idea of a military railway as they seen to have been done before a fair bit. I then had the idea of doing a WWII German railway but i cant seem to find any OO Gauge Locos suitable (this may be a long term project for me). I'm now being drawn towards building a station where both preserved and main line engines are seen together.

My question is to you all out there can you suggest some ideas for stations i could model please. My sort of guide is below:

• I want to run a mixture of preserved steam and diesel and modern locos.
  • I would prefer to stick to standard gauge for my first layout
  • Id like 3 or more platforms (ideally maybe 3 mainline platforms but a side platform for the preserved)
  • UK Location please (makes it easy for reference material).
  • And not to big (yes id like to build somewhere like York but i dont have the space right now. If i could get it into 12-16 foot long id be happy. (not including the fiddle yard as the plan would be to use a helix to have that under the board.

Over to you all now, please throw some ideas to me and i will look into them. The only one im realy not prepared to flex on is the size due to not having enough space to assemble anything more.

Ive been toying with some ideas for my first layout and Ive gone off the idea of a military railway as they seen to have been done before a fair bit. I then had the idea of doing a WWII German railway but i cant seem to find any OO Gauge Locos suitable (this may be a long term project for me). I'm now being drawn towards building a station where both preserved and main line engines are seen together.

I'd be surprised if you find any OO German Steam, but there should be plenty of HO.

On the other subject,

Alton

Keighley

Wareham (soon hopefully)

Eridge

Cholsey

Didcot

Robertsbridge

Grosmont

Skipton (soon? )

East Grinstead (soon? )

Totness

Paington

Smallbrook Junction

Bodmin

Kidderminster

Quainton Road

Matlock

Duffield

Aviemore

Jon

Here's the Google Maps link - you can see it's quite pleasant around there :)

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=eridge+station&ll=51.089807,0.200337&spn=0.001016,0.003098&oe=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=eridge+station&cid=0,0,17192561742667510971&t=h&z=19

A Youtube video also gives some useful views, you can see the SOuthern service coming in alongside the heritage railway and how they share the station, also some of the 'operating method' when the steam loco runs into the old bay plaform.

Here's the Google Maps link - you can see it's quite pleasant around there :)

https://maps.google....510971&t=h&z=19

A Youtube video also gives some useful views, you can see the SOuthern service coming in alongside the heritage railway and how they share the station, also some of the 'operating method' when the steam loco runs into the old bay plaform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jalBslismzQ

Very tempting. Im currently most tempted by that or Kidderminster.

One of the things I quite like about Eridge is how the 'preserved' line runs in perfect formation alongside the Network Rail line for a while until it branches off to the right (you can see on Google Maps where it used to be a triangle - part of it's now used for stock storage).

I don't know where in the UK you are but I can highly recommend it as a day out. It also has the added advantage, of course, of being rail connected :)

• RMweb Gold

Bodmin Parkway would indeed fit into the space available and is quite good scenicly if one likes open spaces.

Many of the other suggestions are probably going to be too big or a bit limited on the mainline traffic (passenger traffic only in fixed-formation trains). Kidderminster is perhaps the best available but would need a bit of artistic reduction to fit in the space.

In some ways, limited service can be a bonus - for example with the Eridge idea, the "main line service" could be left running on an auto shuttle type unit, whilst the more complicated work of shunting the preserved side can be done under manual control.

It also means there's less room required for off-scenic storage, and it's considerably cheaper to buy the stock needed as well!

Of course, many of us already have far more stock than we need and it's tempting to try and build a layout that suits the stock, rather than use stock that suits the situation...

• RMweb Gold

Eridge offers the possibility of re-opening the Up Loop, the signalbox and other Big Railway facilities as you see fit. It is actually quite a large station, and originally had four through platforms, an up siding and a down goods yard with shed and a dock, as well as a very long headshunt towards Birchden Junction. A good pub next door, too, in my day!

Good point Olddudders, no reason not to use the station "as is" as a basis but expand to improve flexibility. I note that the double line comes down to one a mile or so north of Eridge, with the 'preserved' line taking the place of the second line on the otherwise twin track formation. I must admit that what you suggest of making it a 'passing loop' round the island platform and imagining that the line doesn't terminate at Uckfield but has through routes does give a lot more potential. Given the area of the country, you could also add third rail and use some of those lovely Bachmann units.

Damn, I've just given myself another layout idea...

• RMweb Gold

Good point Olddudders, no reason not to use the station "as is" as a basis but expand to improve flexibility. I note that the double line comes down to one a mile or so north of Eridge, with the 'preserved' line taking the place of the second line on the otherwise twin track formation. I must admit that what you suggest of making it a 'passing loop' round the island platform and imagining that the line doesn't terminate at Uckfield but has through routes does give a lot more potential. Given the area of the country, you could also add third rail and use some of those lovely Bachmann units.

Or imagine Redgate Mill Junction is still open - 1m 24 chs to the South - giving trains to Eastbourne, too. Class 170 repainted might approximate the present DMUs.

Personally have often contemplated building Paignton for the very reason of versatility of having both mainline and preserved together.

Mainline trains either terminate completing a run round in the platforms or run through to Goodrington then return nearer their booked departure time. Preserved trains run round at the station.

Modern traction is purely HST’s, Voyagers and DMU’s Classes 142,143,150,158.

Though wind the clock back to the eighties Classes 25,31,33,37,45,46,47,50’s, HST’s and DMU Classes 101, 108 & 118’s were all seen at various times. Quite often even the local stopping trains were 3-5 Mark 1 coaches.

Option of any visiting engine to either the mainline or presevered part. Plus numerous mainline tours then traversing the preserved line with all manner of motive power steam & diesel.

One drawback of modelling preservation, with or without "modern mainline", is that it's very easy for everything to be a bit "twee" and in perfect condition and an excuse to run a complete hodgepodge of whatever stock people like or have, and disregarding standard operating rules like air and vacuum brake stock not running together, or an attempt to make everything (stock and locos) match an exact region or time period when very few railways have the luxury of all matching stock everywhere.

I've not really seen many "well done" preservation layouts, with all the derelict stock in various states of disrepair waiting its turn in the workshops, covered in tarpaulins etc, as much as we bemoan seeing them there are very few preservation sites that manage to keep it all "out of view" - more often than not, every metre of siding space that isn't essential for the basic operation of the railway, has something dumped in it.

• RMweb Gold

One drawback of modelling preservation, with or without "modern mainline", is that it's very easy for everything to be a bit "twee" and in perfect condition and an excuse to run a complete hodgepodge of whatever stock people like or have, and disregarding standard operating rules like air and vacuum brake stock not running together, or an attempt to make everything (stock and locos) match an exact region or time period when very few railways have the luxury of all matching stock everywhere.

I've not really seen many "well done" preservation layouts, with all the derelict stock in various states of disrepair waiting its turn in the workshops, covered in tarpaulins etc, as much as we bemoan seeing them there are very few preservation sites that manage to keep it all "out of view" - more often than not, every metre of siding space that isn't essential for the basic operation of the railway, has something dumped in it.

Paignton is not quite like that. The tarpaulins etc are more down at Churston.

I agree that Paignton could make an interesting layout - perhaps in a 16' x 8' garage with the station down one side and Goodrington down the other. Hidden sidings for "Newton Abbot" would be below or behind Goodrington and those for "Kingswear" would be below or behind the station. There is a crossover between the two railways so it could also be operated as a "roundy-roundy" when one just wanted to watch trains go by.

I dont have the space for a wide layout sadly so its going to be long rather than wide. Im going to do some more thinking this weekend on this one. If i did build it i would make sure i did my reaserch and didnt mix rolling stock incorrectly.

I live in Bedfordshire, its easy enough to drive down to East sussex to do my research. Ive also got freinds in the area so i would make a weekend of it.

• RMweb Gold

I dont have the space for a wide layout sadly so its going to be long rather than wide.

Don't forget the Whitby line has preserved steam and diesel running to Whitby from Grosmont, and also westwards along the line on occasions, not to mention railtours to Whitby.

Archived