Ventnor, Isle of Wight, 1970

Peter Bedding

• RMweb Premium

If ever a town needed its railway! Poor Ventnor loosing both its termini.

There are really vivid memories of holidays as a teenager there.(I stalled my vespa 150 super trying to go two up on Tulse hill in 1987.wrong way of course).

Donw, Do they still make Burts Beer?

• RMweb Premium

Ventnor station might have survived had steam been replaced by electricity a little earlier or if just a little more all-year use was made of it. Wroxall was never busy.  

Ventnor West on the other hand was on the Island's least-used line (that to Merstone Junction) and seldom saw a train let alone a passenger according to some stories.  There was no other centre of population anywhere on the route; St. Lawrence and Whitwell were (and are) tiny villages and Merstone itself was a remote country junction serving a farm and acting as a connecting point for the Sandown - Newport line, itself seldom busy.

The local bus company tried for years to offer a half-decent rail replacement service (route 39 connected into and out of almost every train at Shanklin other than in the early electric years when they ran every 12 minutes) but failed to prove sustainable.  Even the coastal route (which used to be the 16) has declined  in patronage terms and frequency. 

The case for Ventnor is at best weak now.  A railway might alleviate a little summer holiday road congestion.  The station was awkwardly sited for most residents (not that the railway had any choice in the matter) and once in a car most will drive to their destination now rather than take a train which would be the longer and more costly option for any sort of journey out of Ventnor.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Peter for sharing these pictures. A great help to me with my modelling. Although really sad to see it in this state, the absence of passengers and trains makes it much easier to see the detail in the buildings themselves.

I'm currently constructing an 00 model of Ventnor and waiting eagerly for my Kernow Models O2 locomotives. Over the last couple of years I've poured over the many books of the island railways, and of course there are many of Ventnor to choose from.

Where your pictures really helped was with some of the more unusual views of the station. There must be hundreds of images of an O2 exiting the tunnel mouth, or situated by the phone box on the platform waiting to run around, but very few of the rear of the station building. Your picture was the first I had seen of the seaward end of the goods shed. Many thanks again for taking the time to record this for posterity.

Thanks Peter for sharing these pictures. A great help to me with my modelling. Although really sad to see it in this state, the absence of passengers and trains makes it much easier to see the detail in the buildings themselves.

I'm currently constructing an 00 model of Ventnor and waiting eagerly for my Kernow Models O2 locomotives. Over the last couple of years I've poured over the many books of the island railways, and of course there are many of Ventnor to choose from.

Where your pictures really helped was with some of the more unusual views of the station. There must be hundreds of images of an O2 exiting the tunnel mouth, or situated by the phone box on the platform waiting to run around, but very few of the rear of the station building. Your picture was the first I had seen of the seaward end of the goods shed. Many thanks again for taking the time to record this for posterity.

Hello Steve

Many thanks for the appreciative comments. I took these photos for just such a purpose, though I hadn't realised it would take over 40 years for them to reach their intended audience.

I'm sure that many others would like to see photos of your model interpretation of this station (and rolling stock!)

PB

A few pictures attached. Not quite in the same league as Reg Dear's outstanding 2mm model, but it gives me and my daughter lots of fun (she's responsible for the wonky platform canopy!). The track plan isn't quite authentic; I deliberately missed off the siding next to the run-round loop to save a bit of space. This is now the top level of a larger layout which includes Wroxall and Smallbrook Junction, and the ability to run trains around all day which keeps us both amused.

Rolling stock is a mixture of Ratio Midland coaches, which are a reasonable representation. Also have a selection of wagons, vans and a couple of brake vans all made from resin kits from Smallbrook Models. Currently just a couple of Hornby terriers to pull them around, but waiting impatiently for the O2s to arrive.

Currently working on an epic polystyrene reprentation of St Boniface Down, then may turn my hand to the fiddly station building and canopies. The Goods shed was my first attempt at building construction in 20 years, so will get a rebuilt at some point ..... plenty to keep me busy for several years to come.

attachment=252679:DSCF3457 web.jpg]post-18476-0-44967800-1361652917.jpg

post-18476-0-90466600-1361652836.jpg

post-18476-0-88977700-1361652880.jpg

• 6 months later...

Some years ago I 'did' Ventnor in (fine-ish) 4mm. I began it around 1985, exhibited it at Workington and Appleby in '86, moved to Somerset and (I think) showed it at Burnham-on-sea and also took it to Southampton, probably around '87. Sadly, 4 house moves in the space of 5 years was too much and it was dismantled shortly after. I still have the stock and a sector plate and a few photos showing the creation which I'll try and post here once I've cracked how to do it..

Now considering the possibility of doing it again in 3mm.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was going to post some questions about the IOW railway to Ventnor and came across this topic, so no need to re-invent the wheel but perhaps carry it on. A bit of background, Newhaven & District MRC has a 4mm layout of Ventnor and more recently Wroxall. There has mainly been two people who effectively own it and their current combined age is about 180 I kid you not, 80 and 100. The elder gent is our club President and whilst the will is there to do some modelling he recognises his limitation. Having said that, this layout was built when he has been in his 90's and I'm sure that this is part of the reason why he reached his century and is still with us. Anyhow, the layout is set in the late 1930's, Southern Railway time, when available we run a pair of O2's, an E1 and some Terriers, I believe the idea is that eventually we will bring it forward into the 1950's but my reason for posting is to go in the opposite direction and ask what locos would have been used from say 1900 through to 1940, a rough idea of dates when they came and went? So the Southern Railway took over the IOWR in January 1923, this seems to be when the O2's from the LSWR and coaches from the LCDR and LB&SCR came over ??? There is a cracking reference to relevant books on the IOWR ~ http://www.thegardnerfamily.org/iow/biblio.htm I think that we might pay a visit to the Bluebell Carriage Book Shop soon to see what we can find, but what locos were used on the Shanklin-Wroxall-Ventnor stretch within these dates. Somebody has said a 2-4-0T but I haven't seen any photos so far.

Charlie N&DMRC Secretary

Yes an interesting thread which I some how overlooked. Yes a selection of Beyer-Peacock 2-4-0 tanks were the staple main movers on the IoW railways before the introduction of the O2's at about the time of grouping, but although bigger the O2's proved more economical on coal, and water.

Thanks for the info on the BP 2-4-0's, grey matter has cleared, that must be what the article was in either Heritage or Steam Railway Magazine, possible bid for a similar loco in Oz. No model of this comes to mind, any thoughts? Or perhaps mods to a RTR model?

They indeed did work into Ventnor, more often to West station, but they were popular on light freights, with which they covered the whole Island. With a bit of 'modeller's license' they would look ok on a short passenger working. Even E1's worked passenger trains into Ventnor Town, especially on the 'Tourist', Freshwater to Ventnor working.

There is nothing rtr, or similar to modify, but only the one on this page;-

http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/products.htm#southern

Paul, that is a very good spot, somebody else mentioned modifying a GEM kit but I've no further details.

What about bogie coaches, I have not persued it yet but Roxey and Branchlines seem to have some in their range, old Pheonix? As a cheap conversion I have taken a Farish 9 comp and Farish comp brake and cut them both back by one compartment, what there was of the roof vents have been removed (the carriage photo that I was looking at did not have any), they also currently have steel angle underframes but the intention is to replace these with turnbuckle underframes, so they are really modelled just for effect.

Paul, that is a very good spot, somebody else mentioned modifying a GEM kit but I've no further details.

What about bogie coaches, I have not persued it yet but Roxey and Branchlines seem to have some in their range, old Pheonix? As a cheap conversion I have taken a Farish 9 comp and Farish comp brake and cut them both back by one compartment, what there was of the roof vents have been removed (the carriage photo that I was looking at did not have any), they also currently have steel angle underframes but the intention is to replace these with turnbuckle underframes, so they are really modelled just for effect.

See the second link below.

• RMweb Gold

I have only just discovered this thread and the 1970 pictures are very evocative. Although the station was far from ideally sited, there are many on the island who believe the railway to Ventnor should have been retained and electrified.

These days I am quite heavily involved with Southern Vectis and help out on network routes, including the 3 between Newport and Ryde via Ventnor. A half-hourly service for much of the day, ridership has grown and traffic to and from Ventnor is consistently good.

Just as a comparison with the other models, here is a few photos of the Newhaven Club Ventnor layout as it was about 18 months ago. Over time we are going to gradually tidy some things up, it is a compressed model, trackwork is Peco code 100, short radius points have been used mainly because there was not a lot of space in our Franks's flat. Dave who is the other main modeller in this was perhaps thinking of changing the chalk backscene, it is very square, motorise the signals? Controller is by H&M Duette and I think a H&M Clipper down at the Wroxall/Fiddleyard end. Perhaps a venture into DCC? It is due to attend the Bluebell Railway Model Railway Weekend on 27/28 June and will be located in the carriage works at Horsted Keynes.

post-7553-0-63212600-1427025536_thumb.jpg

post-7553-0-02637400-1427025648_thumb.jpg

post-7553-0-29245100-1427025680_thumb.jpg

post-7553-0-61130000-1427025709_thumb.jpg

Just as a comparison with the other models, here is a few photos of the Newhaven Club Ventnor layout as it was about 18 months ago. Over time we are going to gradually tidy some things up, it is a compressed model, trackwork is Peco code 100, short radius points have been used mainly because there was not a lot of space in our Franks's flat. Dave who is the other main modeller in this was perhaps thinking of changing the chalk backscene, it is very square, motorise the signals? Controller is by H&M Duette and I think a H&M Clipper down at the Wroxall/Fiddleyard end. Perhaps a venture into DCC? It is due to attend the Bluebell Railway Model Railway Weekend on 27/28 June and will be located in the carriage works at Horsted Keynes.

Gosh, what a successful model. I hope that you can record a few more photos at your Bluebell event.

PB

Archived