BBC Four Steam Railways Collection

Andy Y

It seems as though the Beeb have noticed this site's readers do drop by to read content so I've had a very pleasant email from a young lady letting me know they've grouped a collection of videos together at http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/collections/p01277qd/steam-railways

Coincidentally I spent a pleasant half-hour the other day watching 'Lines of industry' from the 'Train now departing series' - lots of iron ore interest in there.

Excellent!

I see the wonderful "Engines Must Not Enter the Potato Siding" is there :)

Like the way it shows this was last shown on BBC1 Tuesday 4th November...... 1969. Wonder if this linked to this the following two BBC projects.

Project Barcelona which I think is gong to become BBC Store for chargable downloads of archived material and also Project Genome which is a digitised archive of all Radio Times listings.

Just watched "Engines Must Not Enter the Potato Siding" and very much enjoyed it. Although only in my 40's still brought memories of seeing 76's at Guide Bridge and once at Piccadilly and also a visit to Tinsley yard. Will watch a few more over the Christmas break.

Yeah, the continuity announcer mentioned that these shows were now available on the BBC4 website at the end of the excellent The Golden Age Of Steam Railways series that was recently shown, which is also worth catching on the BBC iPlayer if you can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p8w38/sign/The_Golden_Age_of_Steam_Railways_Small_is_Beautiful/

Does anyone know if they are downloadable? I would like to put them on DVD for my Dad who doesn't use a computer

Some might be - this is usually on a vase by case basis. Both of the ones linked to above are not. So I doubt if any are. They have only just been made available so may be subject of future "repeats". Of course you do not need a computer now - as iPlayer is available for your TV !

• RMweb Gold

Its only a Castle - what's so interesting about that! ;)

I think he probably meant that shiny white thing on the Down Main (and he should have watched past 20 minutes in where there are lots of disaesel thingies - even a cab shot in a Blue Pullman - and of course genuine Blue Pullman sound at various places in the film.

Interesting to see what the view was like from Bath station Signalbox - it must have felt very odd being right up there on top of the roof and definitely a bit awkward for handsignals; the site of the 'box is still very obvious at Bath. Incidentally I didn't think much of the Station Master when he signed the TRB - didn't go back to the previous signature, clearly the sort of bloke who is happier pressing the flesh with his classier passengers rather than keeping an eye on operational matters. But it's great film and narrated by dear old John - a smashing fellow and I've still got the book he gave to my mum & dad as a wedding present.

Some might be - this is usually on a vase by case basis. Both of the ones linked to above are not. So I doubt if any are. They have only just been made available so may be subject of future "repeats". Of course you do not need a computer now - as iPlayer is available for your TV !

Unfortunately Dad doesn't have any of the additional boxes required and like me can't get any cable or satellite signals, but thanks for the info anyway

• RMweb Gold

I think he probably meant that shiny white thing on the Down Main (and he should have watched past 20 minutes in where there are lots of disaesel thingies - even a cab shot in a Blue Pullman - and of course genuine Blue Pullman sound at various places in the film.

He did - but I didn't want to get Nidge (rugd1022) too excited !

• 4 months later...

Archived