Last week a guest engine arrived in time for our Family Day at the Avon Valley Railway.

Willy an 0-4-0 Kerr Stuart well tank provided brake van rides with the veranda of the GWR Toad giving a view of the engine controls.

post-7071-0-58150000-1368641667_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-82454900-1368641689_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-62638300-1368641710_thumb.jpg

post-7071-0-04517400-1368642171_thumb.jpg

Note the front coupling arrangement for sharp curves.

I believe the engine was overhauled at the Flour Mills, more than that I have no idea of its history. I think someone told me it used to work in Gloucester?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 838rapid

A bit more modern history of the loco.

The loco for a few years was stored on the Swindon and Cricklade railway.

It was on the stop blocks infront of 257 Squadron up against the stop block.

It left the Swindon and Cricklade Railway and entered Swindon Works,when the original enerprise was started in there after closure.

After that I lost track of the loco,it vanished off the radar,but its good to see it back.

Were the Borrows engines copies of the Kerr Stuart design, or was it the other way around? Whatever happend to Windle from the Middleton Railway?

It was the other way round.  Borrows closed down in 1912 and the business was taken over by H.W.Johnson & Co., but they only built 3 locos.  By some unknown arrangement Kerr Stuart took over the design and built another 23 locos.  The full story is told by Don Townsley in Bylines magazine Vol.8 issue 5 (April 2003)

WINDLE is now at the Ribble Steam Railway, where it joined another Borrows well tank - THE KING

• 2 months later...

Put in a cracking performance at the Foxfield Gala, despite a hot axle box on the Saturday afternoon which was sorted for Sunday.

He certainly was - not to mention setting the grass alight!

Bit of a cr*p shot but it shows him working well!

post-807-0-00342400-1376485891_thumb.jpg

I love engines like this. If someone produces one as RTR in 0 Gauge and doesn't offer a solid footplate where the motion should be, I would want one and give a colliery running powers.

Archived