London Central (South Eastern Section)

thirty2a

Well new year new start! A purchase of a 4 Cep and away we go, the layout is a Bromley North based afair but am working on a slight change of history and location. I have used a double slip instead of a single and am thinking of adding a storage sidding.

I will post some pictures soon.

• RMweb Gold

I agree keep the slip, It also gives you the benefit of adding a run round loop. which is also very handy.

I think you've misunderstood what I was saying, the prototype fromation has a single slip, the proposed plan swaps it for a double slip. I'm saying that putting a double slip in would be unprototypical, it's a duplicate move, the real railway wouldn't do it.

The way the points are laid out would not give room to run round anything, and would not be a legal move within the signalling of Bromley North if the slip was a double. The real place only runs on mulitple units anyway, no run round required.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

I agree keep the slip, It also gives you the benefit of adding a run round loop. which is also very handy.

I think you've misunderstood what I was saying, the prototype fromation has a single slip, the proposed plan swaps it for a double slip. I'm saying that putting a double slip in would be unprototypical, it's a duplicate move, the real railway wouldn't do it.

The way the points are laid out would not give room to run round anything, and would not be a legal move within the signalling of Bromley North if the slip was a double. The real place only runs on mulitple units anyway, no run round required.

Andi

thanks for the reply's guys, I take have not decided yet about the double slip I only used it because I had it. Dagworth as you say it is not needed but I may take out the other point and add a berthing siding at the RH side of layout, Bromley North did have one many moons ago although I am not sure of the exact layout of the aproach to it.

Here are a couple of very early pictures. I am mostly playing with the Cep at the moment although the 466 is long overdue a good running session.post-7147-12627820724802_thumb.jpgpost-7147-12627822286396_thumb.jpgpost-7147-12627823089353_thumb.jpgpost-7147-12627824797729_thumb.jpg

Will you be installing a non-working third rail, and if so, whose components do you plan to use?

Yes I will be, would have got some when I got the Cep but the Peco stuff has to be ordered so will have to wait for now.

I'm quite surprised that nobody seems to have thought to "stock up" on the Peco bits with the release of the CEP and the other 'third rail' type units that are due out over the next 12 months, actually - I've found exactly the same thing, nobody stocks it.

I can accept that, up until now, the demand has been fairly minimal, but I'd have thought that the current and impending explosion of interest in things Southern Electric would have caused people to stock up.

Unless, of course, it's so badly advertised in the Peco catalogue that hardly anyone knows the bits exist?

• RMweb Gold

I have to support Andi's point here - pardon the pun, as ever! The signalling will only ever allow one route from A to B in any interlocking (except where there need to be alternatives, which is not the case here). Your rolling stock is clearly modern. Since the signalling was transferred to London Bridge MPSB in the Autumn of 1976, then modern "flank protection" will be built in, and thus the preferred route from Platform 2 to Grove Park would avoid the slip point. The alternative route via the slip could never be used because the signalling wouldn't "know about it". It could be used via IPS (Independent Point Switches on the panel) without a signal being pulled, but that is a very dodgy way to operate, and must not normally be used for passenger trains, which is what Bromley North was and is all about.

Point's arrising, the 3rd rail stuff is indeed rare and as Model Zone (Bromley) are awaiting the re release of the NSE liveried 466 (4th quarter 2009) and stock Peco I would have thought they would have it. the surprising thing is i got the Cep from The Engine Shed at Ford but they only customer order it.

As stated I only really used the double slip because I dont have a single slip and as Model Zone dont have single slips either not much chance of changing it but looking at pictures of Bromley North the slip in question is under the footbridge so might get away with it!!

Not decided on DC or DCC yet might just do it DC and chip the stuff at a later date not going to be much wirring anyway.

Looking good.

I'm into anything modernish with 3rd rail so will be watching with interest, smile.gif keep the pics coming.

Thanks for looking in, I don't think any more pictures will be coming untill I have done some scenic work it just looks like a train set at the moment!!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry no new pictures at the moment but a quick question is it better to start the scenery before or after adding the 3rd rail? I think I can get away with ballasting before I fit as it can be weathered before being installed. The wirring is just about complete and took longer than I thought for such a tiny layout! Mind you it has 2x switches!! it has been a long time since I have used such things due to my constant use of the Hornby Select in previous years but all is well at the moment. I feel a field trip to the real location coming up soon would be of some use, I am thinking that a Photo backscene might be in order.

I best point out that the layout in the supplied pic isn't my own but the club layout "Netherhall and Fletching", I just posted the pic as an example of post-ballasting 3rd rail installation. If anyone's interested I have the details of how it was done somewhere in my files, the club didn't follow peco practice but developed a slightly different method to get a more realistic look.

Kev

Here is the method used :-

"Track used is peco code 75 throughout with the up and down mainlines in the scenic sections having the addition of peco 3rd rail detailing. To make the peco track look more prototypical and improve its appearance the sleeper ties were cut and the sleepers repositioned, however this wasn??™t applied to the points. For the 3rd rail we used brass pins every 5th sleeper (less on the corners) and then soldered the peco track to the top of these pins at a scale height equivalent of 3 inches above running track; we found this method is easier and more resilient than the supplied sleepers and pots with the peco system."

If you need to know more, drop me a PM with a contact details and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Kev

• 3 months later...

Andi (who used to drive trains on the real Bromley North branch)

[/quote

I used to do that as well ... well remember the Orpington Driver who detached a set at Bromley North and headed off back towards Grove Park with the 27-way still hooked up!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on my o Gauge challange layout and so have neglected this for a while. Upon reflection some work was needed mainly because I did not think the space allows justice to Bromley North also lack of opertional interest, so I have made a few changes to the track plan.

post-7147-12735889986_thumb.jpgpost-7147-12735891007_thumb.jpg

The two tracks to the right will be hidden and act as an additional hidden section as the hidden sidding's will be behind the camera view this should provide a through run albeit short which it is hoped will give some extra scope.

The idea is that the location is a bit more Central London like the old Holborne Viaduct station or Blackfrias, you get the idea we will see how it goes.

Comments always welcome.

Tony.

Archived