Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

Kal and I arrived reasonably early. In no time at all we were talking to exhibitors, and gleaned a lot of useful advice. Unfortunately we did not get all the names, and several aren't on the forum. This did not stop them being informative.

The O gauge exhibitor (Eric I think) had some great work, he was well worth talking to. Tricks and tips work in any gauge/scale. Copying the inside of his cabs might be rather difficult though, nice work.

PH Designs had already come to our attention we were already planning to buy some stuff, but seeing items in the flesh showed how good the products we saw were. Peter and the person with him had some great work on trains, they were both well worth talking to - the layout wasn't half bad either   :mosking: . 

8988379937_a67f0ca117_c.jpg

red and yellow bins being one of the products worth investigating IMHO

8988562103_34d484abe8_c.jpg

8988587367_51913bd355_c.jpg

Mick/Newbryford had some great trains. I actually recognised his 66720! Well I didn't know it was a 66 right off, but I recognised the graffiti.   :jester: Kal has recently got into Network rail so he spent a long time chatting. And due to my recent foray into weathering I didn't fall asleep but stayed glued to the discussion.  :angel:

Loved the following layout, sorry don't know the name of the layout or the owner ;(  But it is was unusual, I also noticed it had been published

8989284316_8baf9dba31_c.jpg

8988200771_d8a41446cf_c.jpg

Also saw Brixworth. George its owner apparently is retiring the layout soon (I believe he will consider offers)(He is not retiring he has just run out of room.......)

8988617111_d55afc60cc_c.jpg

8989841450_70f2a683cc_c.jpg

Apologies to anyone I didn't mention. I would have taken other pictures but sometime the exhibits weren't free. I also bought my first Phoenix paints from H&A Models, and some Shawplan model products, and Kal bagged another loco. The refreshments were FRESH tasty and very reasonably priced. All in all we had a great day.   :yes:

We hit KFC on the way home, so no cooking BONUS.  :D

•  
Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

These are from Zollywood Town (Goathland / Heartbeat)

8646393082_634875cbd6_c.jpg

The tracks at the front

8645297259_b81e74dbff_c.jpg

Two tracks just visible at the back

8646401448_b6af5f57ae_c.jpg

The river runs behind Zollywood station (Goathland) although it does not run through Goathland in real life. But to get to  the higher level we have incorporated Mallyan Spout (our waterfall) and we have to go through Zollywood Town

8868117805_0b370e605a_c.jpg

Beyond Zollywood Town (Goathland/Heartbeat) you can see Zollywood Heights (Hogsmeade and Hogwarts)

8646363900_0ea859f2af_c.jpg

The river then comes forward towards the ford 

8868123949_812def277b_c.jpg

and caravan park then the footbridge passing  to the watermill

8990484772_84548791fc_c.jpg

and on to the waterfall

8599546117_9e27dc9abd_c.jpg

A rare picture of the elusive Hogwarts invisible to muggles.....

8942333592_4213999230_c.jpg

Ou r waterfall (Mallyan spout)

8942279316_f9580b9864_c.jpg

8941591015_4bf366510a_c.jpg

8906841882_6c95c9e02a_c.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice and sounds like you both had a great time. The metal recycling layout is called Albion Metals. It was in Dec 2012 BRM magazine. I just built a metal shear kit and am currently building an overhead crane for scene based on this layout.  

A few more picture of Zollywood Town (Heartbeat)

8600648338_8a987ccbfa_c.jpg

The waterfall

8603039780_f8f2064e06_c.jpg

River running thru, a homemade tree

8600683024_cbe7ba7c83_c.jpg

our first attempt at cliffs

8594371789_55eb61dd66_c.jpg

long view

8424027118_57acd79c93_c.jpg

8380204558_fc5578cae2_c.jpg

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 3

Hi ;)

glad to put a name to the face. It was great speaking to you both. With the layout, both of you being switched on regards the respeccing of locos and the PH Designs, we had a great time chatting to you both. We certainly picked up some great information.

Our first weathered loco Class 56 using this picture as the reference point

56083%20Aston%20Hill.jpg

8868881746_59444fc392_c.jpg

8868853884_03de437082_c.jpg

8868848120_fb67b1c694_c.jpg

8868224285_46b62951fc_c.jpg

8868203171_c876fd6b32_c.jpg

8868217963_105e3c7ca4_c.jpg

After reading a lot of threads here, I hope the next attempt will be an improvement. Hand painting the windows was certainly not my finest hour.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

Newbryford

;) I treat Kal's babies with great care. I don't even take them apart he does that....I'm too chicken.

Although he said I could treat this one, however, as it was a £15 junker to practise on. It will possibly get hacked to try some more stuff after looking at your 'yellow' thread. You'll see my post, and a like or two  :imsohappy:

Thebritfarmer

Thanks matey

Railmatch
412 weathered black
406 sleeper grime
403 roof dirt
605 gwr roof white
202 warning yellow
232 orange

humbrol
96309 weathering powder smoke
maskol

There was some hand painting at first....wince....very heavy handed...then a swop to the airbrush.The hand brush on the rails fort he white yellow and orange was ok but on the windows....shudders. Still you learn. I didn't have any more colours at the time and the carbon/smoke on the exhausts was a little light, and I forgot to do the grease on the buffers. But it increased my confidence. So job done.

Speaking to Newbryford at Wrec show was very useful, I love his thread too. A lot of important information shared. Bonus.

• Like 2

Thank you Jamie (7APT7)

Another quick project

A Wills kit

9016152080_9344cc385a_c.jpg

Paint on sprue. Blue = Citadel enchanted blue

9016760184_41864faf54_c.jpg

The Copydex to check the fitting, the Revell contacta once I was sure. The wood was Phoenix Precision teak and faded teak

9016786728_f0bf4e5a82_c.jpg

Word for the sales labels which was printed in 8pt then reduced to 20%, and a coloured pen to edge them for definition. Superglue with a cocktail stick and some swearing to place.

Add a cut matchstick at the back to lift it for presentation like the real thing

9016253393_2aa7ca42a6_c.jpg

I painted a piece of wrapping tissue paper green (both sides) and shaded it, then used the Revell contacta to slide it along the front and get the wrinkles right then allowed it to dry

9017790000_56b8b38f4f_c.jpg

Trial it on the layout

9017518648_404c5290f3_c.jpg

pull back

9016646085_68ba3d1171_c.jpg

and some more

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

Thank you very much 7APT7.

Very chuffed you think it might have come like that.  :blush: I painted the fruit, regularly changing colours, and then using a second colour for definition then a shader, and retouch of the mistakes, someone recently said it was easier to paint on the sprue; and they are right. The final touch up was real easy, just a quick sanding and a speck of paint.

Thank you ess1uk, it was quick, because for once I was organised, and my number of paints had blossomed enormously (I have several kits/projects lined up for Kal and we got the paints in), so I tried a bunch and the more colour difference on something like this the better.I mixed original and second coats making even more variations. 

Two compliments..... :imsohappy:......and both written.......bliss 

Very nicely done, lots of fiddly painting for sure. The first few photos you loose the sense of scale. I thought they looked massive but when on the layout........just right :) 

I was looking at these on line the other day, may have to get a pack. 

The Britfarmer

Thank you matey, I can recommend it. I painted the books with left over paint. I concentrated on the fruit stall. The stalls can be swopped as the fruit/books (I considered reducing a couple of book fronts and sticking them on) can slide them in and out. It was quick and fun. Although the instructions were scarce, it was easy to sort it out. (the back of the wheels have a groove) I would be on the other one by now, but I am sorting out Kal's birthday gift. Not surprisingly it's for the layout.  :onthequiet:

• Like 1

There's never a final resting place. Even the stations hop about, even Zollywood (Goathland) has had 3 previous spots before it held grimly onto this one by it's fingernails.........But I think two market stalls need some company,  and they seem to go with the striped side shows, like a village fair.

Usually once green scatter gets down its because a permanent home has been agreed. We have so many spare stations we are contemplating making a site where we can trade them in and out occasionally. Sheffield Park is due on the layout soon. Kal is going to redo the tracks first on lhs table One. Even tracks aren't safe. THe big problem will be when we get into the scratch builds, because then even the resins  will be fighting for a spot. Once a station is given a tribute spot it is unlikely to be replaced any time soon.

The big problem is when we have a leap in our skills, then some of the earlier stuff can irritate so much you can't move forward until it's sorted. A lot of features only exist as pictures now.

We have addressed things such as radioactive grass, flat earth syndrome, Helixs that suffer from centrifugal force once you try to send a 2+9 up or down them, river flowing up hill, fiddle yards that lack depth cos you realise you cant reach in to sort derailments. So far due to the heritage and preservation excuse we have ignored issues that would cause many a modeller to commit suicide. Mixing ERAs  and liveries probably being just a couple of WTFs.

I've just stumbled upon this thread, after seeing nothing new in my followed threads. Your modelling is utterly superb and is an inspiration to all of us yet to get our layouts off the ground!

freebs

Although I am very pleased by your post, especially after having looked at your links including your blog and seen your own work.

I should point out that to date nearly all the building on our layout are either Hornby or Backmann resins. Most are pristine from the box.

We have just started to dip our toes into 'real'  modelling and will be posting my birthday present to Kal very soon.(still a kit though) It is not a secret as I had to commandeer his knowledge and talents for part of it. A post will hopefully show progress tomorrow.

Regardless am very pleased you like our work  :imsohappy:

Ah Jaz, I'd seen all your buildings were ready to plant, but it's not just this, it's the whole modelling in general, the scenery and the landscape you have created for the trains to run through. The station looks really good and there's nothing wrong with using a few ready to plant buildings. I think you'll have lots of fun making buildings from scratch - it's a whole new world. If I had the money I'd try a few Wills and Ratio kits - they look brilliant... When I've got the money, I've got my eye on the new Point Rodding and extension kits to embellish my signal box... but then of course, I've got to get on with a layout to put the thing on! It's just a pile of plywood, wire and track at the moment, much to my son's dismay

Grafaman 

Thank you. I went and saw yours. Liked the N gauge modelling, I can't say much regards the layout, because Kal is responsible for all of ours until it gets to the green bits. AC and DC do my brain let alone DCC, all I am good at is messing up his points when I paint them  :paint: The fact we have RR&Co / Railroad and Co and fancy sound and detection sections are definietly nothing to do with me. I love the arty bits. As mentioned more tomorrow.....

• Like 1