S&DRHT - Masbury Station Purchase Appeal

the somerset and Dorset railway trust are looking raise £500.000 to purchase the largely in tact Masbury station. I've copied in the ways of making a donation.

I'm not involved with the project but I think it's a worth while course to get trains running on this iconic route.

Admin please feel free to move this to a more suitable place if needed.

post-5983-0-74188400-1369648640_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I popped it up here as I thought it might get a bit more exposure, but I don't mind it being moved to the S&D section.

Very true. It's on occasions like these that having an ability to have one thread with pointers from other locations could be useful. I was just thinking it might be more suited to the S&DJR Group. Thanks for bringing the subject it to our attention here though, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Edit: I'm going to change the title to be a little more indicative of the nature of the thread.

• RMweb Premium

I've moved it and left a link from Preservation; we only do that rarely to reduce the likelihood of confusion.

I just noticed that after I'd made my post! Doh! Anyhoo, I've made a change to the title to be a little more indicative of the thread content as the descriptions are coming through at the moment. My first mod edit in S&DJR Group :)

>>>>Thanks for bringing the subject it to our attention here though, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise......

Indeed.  I came across it on Facebook quite by chance from a link elsewhere. What surprises me is that there appears to be no mention of it anywhere on the official S&DRHT website - surely the 'proper' place for such news?

• RMweb Premium

I think it looks official enough on the facebook page to be genuine. It's possible that the Trust's website would take a day or two (or longer) to update depending on how and who does their website for them.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent! Let's hope they are successful. Given their more immediate aims of operating between Midsomer Norton and Chilcompton Tunnel Halt by 2016, perhaps the Trust could let the property out in the mean time to get further income?

Excellent! Let's hope they are successful. Given their more immediate aims of operating between Midsomer Norton and Chilcompton Tunnel Halt by 2016, perhaps the Trust could let the property out in the mean time to get further income?

Such as holiday lets  I'd pay up to 700 pounds for a cottage on the railway watching trains go

by and possibly be picked up and let off by the sociteys train for a little more   http://www.pitlochrylineside.co.uk/

http://www.dentstation.co.uk/index.php

http://www.railway-cottage.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Strictly speaking, banking engines were not used on Down trains at Masbury after the 1920s, as they 'cut off' at the summit and returned 'wrong line' to Binegar.

Whilst you might get to see a banked freight train in preservation, I doubt that it would be authorised for normal passenger working, assisting at the front being the normal procedure.

Nice thought though :locomotive:

• 2 months later...

Just hope that if they do get it,that they will have enough volunteers to look after it. They didn't have enough to man a promotional/display/trade stand at the

Blandford model railway show, so had to cancel and lost a good chance to 'spread the word'.  

Given that, to quote their website, "Owing to staffing problems and mechanical issues, we are unable to run trains at present" then I would say that they are missing out on more than just some good publicity. A shame really, given that they appear to be making steady progress with extending their trackwork etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived