Freemo Extravaganza

I'll be wired up for lenz,i usually use Din sockets rather than the lenz panel

but it seems i may have to install a lenz panel somewhere?

Sorry I'd missed this one...

We need to connect the xpressnet to/through your module, as well as connect to your wired sockets on it - I guess you could have an RJ socket wired in each end as part of your wired version, but it might be easier to have one Lenz panel as an adapter as it would provide the pair of RJs needed, your din sockets could then feed out from that?

Ian

Depending how big your extension will be (4'), can you not slew the main back over to the centre,i'm sure it won't be that tight a curve or make you extension a curved module,that way you can follow the already started curve.

Martyn

will add said panel, cheers

Sorry I'd missed this one...

We need to connect the xpressnet to/through your module, as well as connect to your wired sockets on it - I guess you could have an RJ socket wired in each end as part of your wired version, but it might be easier to have one Lenz panel as an adapter as it would provide the pair of RJs needed, your din sockets could then feed out from that?

Martyn - call me Mr Thicky if you like, but some of this wiring stuff is going over my head. Any chance whether at some point you or somebody else who knows can produce something in diagam form that we could follow.

Would be much appreciated (especialy as I start4ed screwing pieces of wood together this afternoon..)

Martyn - call me Mr Thicky if you like, but some of this wiring stuff is going over my head. Any chance whether at some point you or somebody else who knows can produce something in diagam form that we could follow.

Would be much appreciated (especialy as I start4ed screwing pieces of wood together this afternoon..)

Unless you're a Lenz user planning to hard-wire in a permanent expressnet bus, just ignore what I was saying to Ray....

• RMweb Gold

Ray

Each new end board is gonig to be 3 feet so might be a bit tight. However at some point I will experiment with soem flexi track when setting up the original boards.

I can bring ipods with wi throttle on them and a PC with JMRI onit if someone has the interface into the Lenz system. I plan to convert all the turnouts to DCC operation.

Ian

Unless you're a Lenz user planning to hard-wire in a permanent expressnet bus, just ignore what I was saying to Ray....

I am a Lenz user. I normally use a track power two wire bus - presumably that's the banana plugs on your spec. I also use Xpressnet within the layout - would this be extended to other Freemo modules?

I am a Lenz user. I normally use a track power two wire bus - presumably that's the banana plugs on your spec. I also use Xpressnet within the layout - would this be extended to other Freemo modules?

Are you hardwiring the xpressnet or using the panels? If the latter it's dead easy as we just daisychain your panels to the next one on the day using the leads provided.

Are you hardwiring the xpressnet or using the panels? If the latter it's dead easy as we just daisychain your panels to the next one on the day using the leads provided.

My layouts are usually smallish and therefore I use the panels, so should be no problem.

Many thanks Martyn for taking time out on your holiday to keep the answers coming - much appreciated.

This is the part of Fort Myers that I ma considering turning into a module.

My initial thoughts are to widen the boards at the front / viewing side with either more track / imdustry or scrub land.

A new board would go either end.

At the main throat of the station I do have a dilemma as the main line goes off to the left in the photo, so the converter board would need to bring the mainline fairly sharply back to the centre of the board if I want to avoid modifying the original boards just in case I ever want to reconnect it up to the rest of the original layout.

attachicon.gifFortMyerss2003 (56).JPG

At the other end, the original 2 foot board with the grade crossing would be replaced by a new 3 foot converter board. Luckily at this end the track (where the CSX 'stealth gray' mother and slug are) would end up being fairly central when widening the original boards.

attachicon.gifFortMyerss2003 (69).JPG

Any suggestions welcome.

Ian

There's no reason why the module end has to be tangential or parallel to the rest of the layout. As long as it is 18" wide (for a single track module end) and there is 3" of straight track it can be at any angle to the rest of the layout

I'm not certain of the exact layout of the left end of Fort Myers, but here's a couple of sketches of possible end adaptor board

9156346091_4f32eefbc5_o.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Tim.

The other end the main running line is much further towards the front / viewing edge but when the boards are widened i suspect that it will be almost in the middle, so the adaptor board at that end will be easier.

I am still considering altering the existing board that you have drawn virtually spot on. If I do then I would replace the double slip and then alter the track so that the mainline converges with the more central track..

Luckily I have plenty of time to consider all these options.

Ian

My layouts are usually smallish and therefore I use the panels, so should be no problem.

Many thanks Martyn for taking time out on your holiday to keep the answers coming - much appreciated.

No problem. :) I might be out of touch for the next couple of days though unless I can find a handy WiFi connection. This reply courtesy Chiltern trains!

I'm pleased i was looking at a mirror for my design,less you would say i'm copying!!!!

Is the first 4' snow!!!!!!

You haven't know CG that long then,it would have been finished by now!!!!!!!!!!!

Of interest how do you find the MDF is it stable,never used it, always used ply,i'm thinking of trying thin ply(6mm) and making beams with 50 x12mm in between,but still can't make my mind up,loads of time left (famous last words), can't do much till end of July anyways.

Ray

I've used MDF for a number of years and not had any problem with it.

The first 4ft on the plan is a staging track. I hope to use the layout at home and maybe exhibit it so it needs something for when it's not joined to the other 350ft (?) of Freemo modules.

As a general point of interest for anybody who doesn't know it, the plan was drawn up with Xtrkcad which is a free programme - http://www.xtrkcad.org.

It has the facility to run trains, hence the outline of locos and cars on the plan. You can therefore test out the operating potential before you start building. Very handy.

Hopefully, the first train will run for real in the next few days....

I'm pleased i was looking at a mirror for my design,less you would say i'm copying!!!!

Is the first 4' snow!!!!!!

You haven't know CG that long then,it would have been finished by now!!!!!!!!!!!

Of interest how do you find the MDF is it stable,never used it, always used ply,i'm thinking of trying thin ply(6mm) and making beams with 50 x12mm in between,but still can't make my mind up,loads of time left (famous last words), can't do much till end of July anyways.

Ray

Only experience of MDF was the 4x2 sheet of 9mm I bought 3 yrs ago to make a test track. Having being stored on it's end in a couple of not completely dry garages / sheds when i came to use it a week or so ago it was still fine to use.

Dan

Archived