Manna's Workbench, D2, Sentinel, Q1, N1, D3, a pair of J3's, C2, J6 +others

G'day Gents

Thank you for the 'likes' so I thought I'd reward ! you with another small update, after a couple of hours of filing and some car body filler, we nearly have a cab. I have fitted the 'face' of the cab, enjoy.

manna

PS, enjoy the 'New Buy' a baby Deltic, don't know if they EVER got to Edgware, but this one has. LOL

Edited by manna
  • Like 5

G'day Gents

Nice to be back building locos, The baby Deltic, was a bargain, something like 68BP, from Hattons.

No, sorry the signal doesn't work, may get round to making some better ones, one day !

manna

G'day Gents

Time for a update, although I like many others have limited time, I have managed to finish a few more jobs on the J4, I body has been joined together, the middle splasher, although it is a rectangular shape (old style) it is a splasher, it also has two sand boxes attached, front and back, two small splashers have also been fitted  over the rear wheel, the smokebox door is from a Hornby 0-4-0, the chimney is from a J52, and a dome is from a Lima J50, cosmopolitan isn't it !! next job is the windows and the front splashers.

manna

post-19471-0-85535000-1423499712_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-39435400-1423499741_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-98090100-1423499769_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-18779700-1423500067_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

G'day Gents.

Had time to get a fair bit done over the last few days as the weather has been in the high 30's, about 40c today, so, I've been working on the J4, still haven't finished the front splasher, but other stuff has been done instead, enjoy

post-19471-0-67021600-1423983155_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-12611200-1423983193_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-52428200-1423983239_thumb.jpg

post-19471-0-61135500-1423983275_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Gents.

Time for another update, have been working mostly on the tender, which is a 'Emily' I've always felt that this tender (meant for kids) was always to wide, so with a trusty razor saw, the body was split down the middle, the chassis had been filed back to 32mm width wise, (bit off each side) then the body was filed down until it was 29.5mm wide, then glued back together, the tank filler was removed, and plated over, the tender body front was also removed, a new front was built in the Stirling pattern, I haven't touched the coal rails, a future job.

I also think the chassis frame is a bit sparse, and looks nothing like a J4 tender, so extra card has been fitted around the axle boxes to fill it in a bit, the white bits will show you where.

manna

DSCF1351.JPG

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 6

G'day Gents

Going to try again, I'm on the last stages, just have to make the body fit the chassis, a few handrails, then onto painting.

manna

Edited by manna
Sorry lost pics
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

G'day Gents

About time for another update, been a while I got side-tracked with a Dapol Deltic, ended in tears, body was warped, ah well it's back in the box for a few years.

J4 is almost finished, just a few more bits to do, pics below.

And a added bonus, the J1, has had it's tender built (on a Schools motorized chassis) all I have to do to the J1 is, add the steps and wire it up, almost forgot the coalrails on the tender, maybe this weekend.

See what you think.

manna

DSCF1359.JPG

DSCF1360.JPG

Stirling tender.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

G'day Gents

The J4 is near as dammit finished as is on the layout earning a living for the GN shareholders, (bless there cotton socks).

Scenery has been to the fore over the last week or so, so not a lot on the loco front.

Enjoy, manna

DSCF1400.jpg

DSCF1405.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Gents

Time for the next loco, this time it's a Q1, 'Long Tom' so called because of the long boiler, these 0-8-0's lasted about 30-35 years, plodding up and down the ECML with coal trains, so it's about time one visited Edgware.

I've had this Gem 0-8-0 chassis sitting under a O1 for about 35years, so I thought I'd give it a change, the Q1 is like a big 0-6-0 of which I've built a few, I started to build a Q1 30 odd years ago, I built the brass cab back then and a copper pipe boiler and then stopped, so I've used the brass cab on this build, the boiler is from a racing bike pump (right size) the rest is plastic card and bits off of other locos that are laying around.

manna

DSCF1424.jpg

DSCF1426.jpg

DSCF1427.jpg

DSCF1428.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Manna, I'm always impressed by your builds - I sometimes think I take the lazy way of doing things! I was looking at a photo of the long Tom only the other day, so I'll be interested to see how your get on.

Cheers

Jason

• Like 1

G'day Gents

Hi, JCL,I like your builds as well, I have to build mine the way I do as I'm useless with computers, so going down that road would be a waste of time, seeing that I had the chassis, this build will cost about 5 pounds.

manna

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Gents

Hopefully, I'll be able to speed up this build, I had an accident with a kerb and ended up with a fractured bone in my foot, so I'm hobbling around in a moonboot, so no work for a couple of weeks.

The 'Long Tom' is moving on, I replaced the brass cab with a plastic one, and have fitted the splashers, the whole body has been glued together and I've started to add some of the details, the dome is again from 'Thomas' the chimney will be replaced with a better one later, the buffer beam has been cut, same with the drag beam.

I am in two minds weather to build another Q1, well a Q2 really as I have a non powered 0-8-0 Hornby chassis (ex 8F) as you can see rather a lot of the motor under the boiler (I will still finish it) the motorized tender version would probably look better, any thoughts on this matter, Hmmmmmmmmm....

Here's some pics.

manna

DSCF1436.jpg

DSCF1437.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Gents

Time for an update, this enforced sitting on ones backside is working out well for loco building, the 'Long Toms' body is almost finished, I still have to add the buffers (out in the shed) and the steps to build, only taken a month, instead of my usual 6 months, retirement bodes well.

Flyingscotsmanfan, I don't know about the 'master scratch builder' maybe slightly gifted amateur, would be better, I'll have another look at the chassis later. 

Here's a few pic's to show how is progressing.

manna

DSCF1438.jpg

DSCF1439.jpg

DSCF1440.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 9

My goodness I just love visiting your thread, a modeler after my own heart it always gives me such inspiration. Like you I'm no fine scale builder working more to the "If it looks right" principle. Hope you don't mind on your thread but here's a picture of my latest project its (supposed to be) a Caledonian 492 class 0-8-0 tank loco, the chassis started life as a Hornby J83 0-6-0 which as you can see has been chopped about a bit and now runs on Romford wheels and the boiler is a Great British locomotives T9 with a cut down smoke box the rest as you can see is just plasticard. Here are a couple of photos.

post-17847-0-50278200-1436850977_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-66947700-1436850952_thumb.jpg

and the beast in question Caledonian 492 class 0-8-0 in service from 1903 to 1939

post-17847-0-52872900-1436851002_thumb.jpg

My son who is at the moment on deployment with the army in Iraq wants me to build him a steam rail car so if you don't mind I shall borrow some tips from your build if I may. Sorry again for using your thread regards Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 6

G'day Gents

G'day Londontram, that looks a very well built loco, and a unusual prototype, didn't know the Caly had any 0-8-0 tanks, and the chassis started life as a 0-6-0, amazing, Help yourself to any hints you want from the railcar build, starting from a Gresley coach, you have a basic outline. No problem, posting your builds on here.

G'day, rockshovel, Welcome, The headline, only gives my latest build, it is a Workbench after all.

manna

• 4 weeks later...

G'day Gents

Seeing that I'm building a Q1 I really need to build the tender this time to go with it, so the last couple of weeks I've been doing just that, here's where I'm at, at the moment, nearly there.

manna

DSCF1453.jpg

DSCF1454.jpg

Edited by manna
Replacing content
  • Like 4