Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

um

Sasquatch

The Britfarmer

Me

Anotheran

ChrisN

.....I did COPY a lot of peoples avatars for the wall......which can cause confusion.

Plus anyone that I have done work that refers to them, can happily use it for an avatar.

Hi,

It is the paid up version of AnyRail and I find it very easy to use   ...............................    if not a bit addictive, like Chess without checkmate  ...    :sungum:  :sungum:

messing about with the free trial as i like the look

thanks for the tip off

I think I like it because of my limited skills   .........     :scratchhead:

It helps with things like avoiding points on joins

15743331346_0545b7f2f9_c.jpg
Double track OO with sidings 6'2 x 4' by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

....    and with track spacing, by setting the Trace to 2.6" it will show if there is any overlap on the curves  ...

15767082785_3887c52bd4_c.jpg
Double track OO with sidings 6'2 x 4' trace set by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

.......................       :sungum:

Edit: Oh yes ...   and trains in stations to see if they fit  ...    and will go round the Run-around loops  ...    :sungum:

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While I was waiting for Base Boxes to appear    ..........................

and playing with my favourite planner   .....   it occurred to me that I might get rid of the complicated Stn at the top and stick with the longer Stn and Platform arrangement ....  

15524986242_12d9a43941_c.jpg
Hogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft tidied up by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

There is also room for some kind of Siding arrangement in the space below the top cross-over.

Which left a choice of a Through Station or Branch Stn on the lower side   ..........      :scratchhead:

15789117845_ec419c1b05_c.jpg
Hogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft & 9 3qtrs by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

or  .............

15743331346_0545b7f2f9_c.jpg
Double track OO with sidings 6'2 x 4' by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It also occurred that the top Stn might benefit from another Platform [which might double as a goods siding if dressed differently]

I moved the points into the siding at the top, as far as I think they can go to the left and added a Platform between the main line and siding.  [i tried with curved points leading to a Bay Platform there too, but it put the inner of the tracks too near the outer, which is a bit of a shame.]

15856447941_1778291340_c.jpg
Hogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft & 9 3qtrs 3 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It seems possible to park a DMU in the Bay Platform now and maybe loose the Head shunt there, for a longer, wider Platform.

The Base-Boards will be another 2 weeks, so there is time to decide about through or Branch for the lower side Stn.

• Like 1

Hey J,

Must admire your attempts' at finding a workable solution,for Minidriver or is it for yourself ?

Sorry, I cannot help you, am not good at making up fictitious layout's, apart from DP.

I found Anyrail,  comfortable to use,only used their free trail, on part's of my layout.

So, when you are kicking your heels,awaiting your b/boards, knock up a total plan of my layout please....... :O

Just send a few dimensions    ...........................     :sungum:

Hey J,

Must admire your attempts' at finding a workable solution,for Minidriver or is it for yourself ?

Sorry, I cannot help you, am not good at making up fictitious layout's, apart from DP.

I found Anyrail,  comfortable to use,only used their free trail, on part's of my layout.

So, when you are kicking your heels,awaiting your b/boards, knock up a total plan of my layout please....... :O

........    and a couple of freehand sketches    .......................

.....................................................................................................      :scratchhead:    ............................................................................   Hey!  ..  whose got control of my keyboard  ......    :O

Oh the joys of planning when you can't decide what you want! :)

Nice to be able to use a Planning Program - rather than redraw it all  .....    :O

I cannot answer that question - on the grounds it might incriminate me  ......     :senile:

.................    actually, you just set off the thought that fewer Buffers might mean less damage  .......      :locomotive:     .........................     now - let me see  ..  1  ..  2  ..  3  ..  4  ...  5  .....    ..........

• Like 1

.................    actually, you just set off the thought that fewer Buffers might mean less damage  .......      :locomotive:     .........................     now - let me see  ..  1  ..  2  ..  3  ..  4  ...  5  .....    ..........

Or  .......................................   1  ..  2  ........  3       :sungum:  .....    :locomotive:   .......

15673632247_582770f753_c.jpg

Double track OO with sidings 6'2 x 4' v2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Hmmm.................

Edit = just learned how to count again  .....

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

........    and a couple of freehand sketches    .......................

.....................................................................................................      :scratchhead:    ............................................................................   Hey!  ..  whose got control of my keyboard  ......    :O

Give me a clue, what are they ?   

I work by Aye, (Aye),

You may need a ................... 

Give me a clue, what are they ?   

I work by Aye, (Aye),

............   6ft length of rope to go after that    ........      ..........     :acute:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID72/33020951/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C33006346/c_2/2%7C33006346%7CFitness+equipment%7C33008186/c_3/3%7Ccat_33008186%7CSmall+fitness+equipment%7C33011567/c_4/4%7Ccat_33011567%7CSkipping+ropes%7C33020951.htm 

Oh dear   .......    oh dear   ...........

The Wg Co has been thinking again   ............    Oh dear  ........

He decided that the view from the Signal Box was slightly obstructed when large Locos are near to it   ...............     Oh dear    ..........

So he asked MD to come up with a newer structure, so that the whole Yard can be seen    ...............    Oh dear     .........     he should have checked progress earlier  ........................   Oh dear    ..........

Well, she only bowled up this morning with a huge crane and put her Improved Visibility Project in the Yard    .......    Oh dear   ............

MD said she had done it all by herself    ...............    she certainly didn't ask me     .................................................    Oh dear   ............

15673634870_0d501e3d6f_c.jpg
What the new WRAF Controller by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Now that's got OC WRAF in a tizzy    ..................................    Oh dear   ..........    ......................................  She's having a right old go at the Wg Co    ...........................

15675214187_3920487fa3_c.jpg
OC WRAF having a chat by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

....     all about the new new WRAF Signaler girl      .....................     Oh dear     .............    

.........     and "Just exactly who was it decided she should go  up   .................  THERE!"

15674976009_8540043d3b_c.jpg
Up There! by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Well    ......     eerr  ...   "I s-s- suppose the visibility is good from up there".  He spluttered   ..............    " err - unless it is cloudy of course".   ................    

...............   I covered my ears for the reply   ................      :O  :O

I will,  try to  Fathom,  that out today........... :scratchhead:

........    and a couple of freehand sketches    ....................... :paint:

Me...........a couple of freehand sketches

I was looking at a couple of plans, a short while ago.  Ahhh the pleasure of having choices  ........    :scratchhead:

One a through station vs a small inside branch line thingy  ...   both would work, so not very contentious   ......   flip a coin might do it  .....  

Then a chance posting or two at Ruby road got me thinking about Cross-over points [Peco SL90, I think], which can be seen here and a couple of Posts further back  .....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49620-ruby-road-learning-it-all-again/page-23#entry1676955 

I chucked a set of the points on the through Stn, so it now looks like this  

15710872057_427da13083_c.jpg
Double track OO with sidings 6'2 x 4' orange by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The points are in the Orange Oval     .......................    improvement/not  ........    just about room for a loco and a couple of wagons?  Any-one like to offer an opinion?

Still no sign of the awaited Baseboards, but encouraging noises have been received   ......     :declare:

• RMweb Gold

Hi J,

Some thoughts as I also have a desire for some kind of roundy roundy in addition to my current works in progress, so I've been thinking along similar lines.

I like the overall concept. On using the double slip, I think that gives you some good flexibility. Though if it was to be more prototypical (particularly Midland) the facing point would be avoided by using a single slip. That would mean that a train bound for the siding from the left (inside track) would go past the slip (as it wouldn't allow direct entry into the siding from that direction) reverse across the slip onto the opposite running line and then enter the sidings across the slip from there. However, you're not modelling a prototype... so you get to choose, force the more complex, but potentially interesting, shunting manoeuvre, or use a double slip and allow direct access from the left.

I like slip points and have just bought another single and double as they were half price in a sale... even though I don't have anywhere to use them on either of my currently in progress layouts!

Having said all that. My favourite of your plans so far was the last one on post 235 as I'm a bit of a sucker for termini. However, you could potentially use a slip into there (would need to be a double in that case). That would mean that you'd no longer need the crossover at the bottom as it comes as part of the slip configuration. It would mean, however, that your slip would need to cross the inner line directly into a curved point on the outer line or you end up being too far to the right. Doing that would move that bottom crossover element so close to the left end curved crossover that you could probably do away with it completely. That in turn would allow you to extend the tunnel a bit further up the board on the left which would mean that a train could go into it without being visible at both ends at the same time.

Having said all that, if you like the through station don't let me put you off your last plan, as it does look a neat way of getting both station and a slightly larger goods yard.

Kind regards, Neil

Edited by Anotheran

• RMweb Gold

One quick question though! I am a keen user of Anyrail, but haven't found any objects to represent the rolling stock that you have. Have you created them yourself, or imported them from somewhere? Or can I just not find them even though they are there. I like the idea of being able to try trains out. I do use TrainPlayer with exported Anyrail files, but while that's good for looking at movements etc I like the idea of being able to quickly drop on some rolling stock in Anyrail to confirm I'm on the right tracks.

A bit of both.....

One quick question though! I am a keen user of Anyrail, but haven't found any objects to represent the rolling stock that you have. Have you created them yourself, or imported them from somewhere? Or can I just not find them even though they are there. I like the idea of being able to try trains out. I do use TrainPlayer with exported Anyrail files, but while that's good for looking at movements etc I like the idea of being able to quickly drop on some rolling stock in Anyrail to confirm I'm on the right tracks.

On the Tabs at the top are - "User Objects" - Under Dapol - SR Van; under Hornby - 2 x Coaches; under Mainline - Pannier Tank + Brake Van.

I put the Pannier Tank and Brake Van together the highlighted them by "Click - Hold and Drag" over them - then "Group" on the Pelmet at the top. I also did the same for the coach and Brake coach, making a pair/DMU?

Enjoy  ...    :sungum:    :locomotive:  :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Ah thank you... in an effort to de-clutter my menus I'd used the preferences to only show the objects from certain manufacturers... and also not downloaded new items for ages... there's loads of them! User error again!

:thankyou:

Edited by Anotheran

Looks good.

Pleased to have been of help.

I was looking at a couple of plans, a short while ago.  Ahhh the pleasure of having choices  ........    :scratchhead:

One a through station vs a small inside branch line thingy  ...   both would work, so not very contentious   ......   flip a coin might do it  .....  

Then a chance posting or two at Ruby road got me thinking about Cross-over points [Peco SL90, I think], which can be seen here and a couple of Posts further back  .....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49620-ruby-road-learning-it-all-again/page-23#entry1676955 

I chucked a set of the points on the through Stn, so it now looks like this  

15710872057_427da13083_c.jpgDouble track OO with sidings 6'2 x 4' orange by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The points are in the Orange Oval     .......................    improvement/not  ........    just about room for a loco and a couple of wagons?  Any-one like to offer an opinion?

Still no sign of the awaited Baseboards, but encouraging noises have been received   ......     :declare:

• Like 1