Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

Dawlish today and co-incidentally Sir Nigel Greasley came to see us, all done out in blue.

Noticed that there was an HST going the other way and they made Sir Nigel wait, back along, so there was only one train at a time over the new laid tracks.

Will have to put a photo up until I can download one, when I get back home - assumin' anything comes out right. :)

• Like 1

Happy Easter to you both too.

The Easter Card was well received by all, thank you   ............................   still can't get over how small those models are

Have been away with the caravan for Easter and access to the Web was strictly rationed  ............   while we watched it rain  ....    :jester:

we did have a visitor and, as promised here is a picture to prove the new Sea Wall at Dawlish really works    .............   

13963392961_81ce103b97_c.jpg
DSC_0977 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

But  .........    they only allow one train at a time over the renewed section    .....    I guess their insurance would not like to have to pay up to replace this one   ......    :no:  :nono:  :no:

13967072194_d2115449e3_c.jpg
DSC_0979 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I must be getting really sad in my old age    ..................   walking back to the car, said to M-in-L   ..............

"A magnificent record breaking piece of machinery goes past  ...   and the first thing that I get to say is  ..............................................................   love the colour scheme"   .......    :dontknow:

Edit - spelling

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Shunting Sandwich is going back into the Railway Room Conservatory today   ..................

..................  it appears that the Wg Co isn't at all keen on the idea, as the nights are still a bit on the nippy side   .....

13927421269_d33a32cc92_c.jpg
DSC_0667 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

No idea what the Scout Car is doing there - looks a bit like one of the ones my Dad was keeping running for several years in N Africa in WWII  ....   I don't think he knows the Wg Co 'though   .......

WOW   .................   have you seen the prices of the latest Hornby "Sir Nigel Gresley"??  ............     :O  :O  :nono:    .....   I did have thoughts of getting one   .....    :no:   ...   not now  .....

I decided to compensate myself with one in the other blue   .......

14110948112_4796e856b8_c.jpg
DSC_0663 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

This one is "N" Gauge and came ready DCC chipped  ........  I'm very impressed with how much detail they crammed onto such a small model  ....    :sungum:

Which is just a way of introducing the idea that MDs layout is in need of some progress from planning to something more tangible. As it is for her, it will be play orientated and I am sure would bore everyone, so only a mention here.  I don't see the need for a new thread, unless there are a load of people in the same position, introducing manipulative, logic, electrical, fun etc skills to a youngster.

For newcomers MD = Mini Driver [8 and female - including the interior skull fixtures and fittings]

• Like 3

nice to see the sandwich out and a bout.

Shall look forward to seeing a little morsel of Minidriver's N gauge. Will it be themed to keep her interest? I tend to think the choice of figures and vehicles in N gauge is not so wide, though that might be a total misconception. They will of course take up much less room n the shelves.  :jester:

I have a "Baldrick"  ........  at least the beginnings of one  ....    :scratchhead:   

Squares at 1'  ....  Settrack for the curves, as they are smallish [3rd and 4th Radius]

Lower part Factory and Station, for shunting, with a Stn run around loop   .....  top Station, straight through, at the bottom of some hills, which might obscure the train, from the other side of the Board like in a tunnel

13974225138_9de4b64ef6_c.jpg
Ambro D - N by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I have discovered that the A4 will derail on the Peco Setrack [sT4] points   .....   not really a problem in the Shunting Yard but it means longer points on the Up & Down tracks [sL 395 & 6]

Q - for N Gauge experts   ....   is the benefit for Electro - frogs important for modern "N" Locos?   :scratchhead:   

Any other ideas appreciated, too.

• Like 3

How much room does it take up? 

The big hole to the right? Where you have written hills. Would make a nice farm or something and the bridge a perfect access. Horses and crops a tractor all little bits that give some interest.

Else you could try a certain half giants home.Scratch built of course....That'll keep you out of mischief.

• Like 1

Hi,

Jaz - 4ft x 2.5ft and I agree about the farm - fields etc.. I like your idea of maybe slightly different scale stuff.  ...   :locomotive:

[it would be nice just to see something running around a layout ..   :senile:  ]

I had a minor debate about where to put the 2 x cross-over sets of Points.

This is where I started out - any opinions appreciated.  ...   as well as opinions on Electro-frog for modern "N" gauge Locos  ??

14167439711_f235b7b224_c.jpg
Ambro D N Alternate slips by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

I thought I might put some Warning labels on the Containers I got the other day   ..........

Found some labels, copied them, resized them and printed them off   ....  so far so good  ....   went for a Cuppa and there was a knock on the door  .......

Some Copper called Kipper, with a pregnant WPC called Roe, stood there wiv a Warrant in 'is 'and - so he says anyway   ......   straight in he comes and goes straight for the bench where the new Warning signs are drying and then only goes and accuses me of posting posters on the Containers    ....

I said to him the Labels were supposed to be Warning signs for Peroxide and Explosives and not adverts      ..............    then I pointed out where I had cut the little signs out of the paper I printed them on    ...................   ...........    NOT THEM he shouts [quite red in the face too -  [smoked too much, at work, I reckon] - and points to the Containers   ......................     :O  :O

"Blimey"!, I gasped, where the ******* did they come from   .............   but our man Kipper is made from strong stuff and won't believe I didn't post them     .....   

"Look at the evidence." I said  ...   "Look they left their truck behind, they must have heard you coming and scarpered, there will be evidence on that, finger prints an all."   .......

Well he did calm down a bit after that  ....   muttered something about getting closer and vanished the way he came in   ...........    leaving a rather distinctive niff in the air  .....    :stinker:

14606118755_5d8ed52f0e_c.jpg
DSC_0696 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Well after all that excitement, I'm off for a short sniffter   ...   and I 'ain't answering the door again tonight  ....     :nono:

• Like 2

I thought I might put some Warning labels on the Containers I got the other day   ..........

Found some labels, copied them, resized them and printed them off   ....  so far so good  ....   went for a Cuppa and there was a knock on the door  .......

Some Copper called Kipper, with a pregnant WPC called Roe, stood there wiv a Warrant in 'is 'and - so he says anyway   ......   straight in he comes and goes straight for the bench where the new Warning signs are drying and then only goes and accuses me of posting posters on the Containers    ....

I said to him the Labels were supposed to be Warning signs for Peroxide and Explosives and not adverts      ..............    then I pointed out where I had cut the little signs out of the paper I printed them on    ...................   ...........    NOT THEM he shouts [quite red in the face too -  [smoked too much, at work, I reckon] - and points to the Containers   ......................     :O  :O

"Blimey"!, I gasped, where the ******* did they come from   .............   but our man Kipper is made from strong stuff and won't believe I didn't post them     .....   

"Look at the evidence." I said  ...   "Look they left their truck behind, they must have heard you coming and scarpered, there will be evidence on that, finger prints an all."   .......

Well he did calm down a bit after that  ....   muttered something about getting closer and vanished the way he came in   ...........    leaving a rather distinctive niff in the air  .....    :stinker:

14606118755_5d8ed52f0e_c.jpg

DSC_0696 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Well after all that excitement, I'm off for a short sniffter   ...   and I 'ain't answering the door again tonight  ....     :nono:

is Bill Posters....locked in the Karzzee????

Edited by Jaz

I think he is sly as a Fox, so looking in there was a waste of time   ......

is Bill Posters....locked in the Karzzee????

.............     but    ...............   there was definitely a fishy niff in there   ..........     :stinker:

Maybe there was an under-cover Plod in there   ......   PC Kama hasn't been seen for a few days   .........    :scratchhead:   ..............   Kipper always choses him for those all-out Missions not likely to bring many returns   ........    :pilot:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Jaz,

Thank you for posting the pictures of the Graffiti - did you ever think you might hear a "Teach" utter those words ...    :jester:

I only just got them, as the new entries didn't appear on the Follow List ??  .........    and the holiday period was upon us  ....  child home - needs entertaining - SWMBO needs rest from work - needs somewhere nice to relax  .....    :sungum:

So we embarked on a 12,000 mile little jaunt  ....  2.500  of it in the driver's seat   ......    :stinker:

Anyway, back now and thanks to you, for the Art.

Whilst away, I had been looking forward to replacing a small pocket penknife  ...  a suitable one did turn up   ....   and a surprise too  ....

14905184422_6ec18e4b4f_z.jpg
DSC_0863 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

What a delightfully simple idea, from Derma-Safe, apparently a Swiss firm  ......

Sooo simple and brilliant for those fiddly little jobs  ....

14902455551_c052113b22_z.jpg
DSC_0861 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Apparently they do several types if anyone is interested  here - http://www.derma-safe.com/ 

Mini Driver [MD] had a bit of a surprise introduction to trains USA style. We were just leaving a small town, alongside the rail track, when I noticed a goods [coal] train also leaving, so slowed down to watch.

I mentioned it to MD, who was already occupied with her DVD player, so didn't really register my comment   .................

...........................................     until it drew level 50 Yds away      ...................  and BLEW THE HORN   ........   :O  :O   ....    that got her attention  ...     the back car window was OPEN  .....   :jester:  :jester:

We watched it all pass and then [for her amusement .  :whistle:   ] .... chased it at speed to measure the length [not sure if it was watching the Odometer or just the speed which she enjoyed more!]  ..  until we had clocked up a mile and still not quite passed. 

As I was driving I couldn't exactly get any shots but did get a couple of another later   .....  

This is the engine in the front and some coal trucks

14719115407_8e741e3b82_z.jpg
DSC_0848 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

and then some more trucks  ..................

14718973530_9b4fef66e8_z.jpg
DSC_0849 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

at last  ....................    this is what a mile looks like   ...........

14718956069_48d1236cd5_z.jpg
DSC_0854 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

There were lots of these coal trains about, as it was near the Powder Valley mining area - simply massive. The trains seem to be standard 1 mile jobs, with 125 to 135 Hoppers - I guess the variation is due to a few being temporarily removed for servicing - and each one carries about 120 Tons  ...   :scratchhead:   ..   somewhere around sixteen - thousand Tons   .......    :O ....  the company apparently ships 40 - 60 of these per day   .............    most to go abroad [so - guess what - it doesn't count on the USA Carbon Footprint - but still make profit!!  Makes my recycled wine bottle a bit of a pointless effort  ..   :no:   ]

At the rear they had 2 of these as well    .....     but I'm not sure why they are better pushing than pulling   [Marcus?]

14905632135_86c6a20e82_z.jpg
DSC_0850 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

ttfn

• Like 2

Wow you had SEVERAL posts worth in that one!!!!

Interesting knife

LOL did she have ear wax....leave at speed????? Sorry min driver......which I had been a fly on the car interior  :jester:

Love the pictures, if you crop the originals to just the loco can you get a nice close up?

Playing with the image editor here on rmweb (top of the page) may help, if not still great pictures showing how LONG they are :O

Technical you are in the wrong uniform, for a small number of us I did consider a blue pilot equivalent, but then the larger audience would have struggled with the Dads Army reference.

Now I have got so many bits all in one post LOL.

Did you have a car and drive to motels / hotels? Or do the mobile home run. Did you see any Hells Angels? Son of Anarchy style?

And did you eat maple sugar on your breakfast..... :P

Yes, indeed  .....   she let out quite a squeak, when the Horn went off, they are really loud and seem to have to be able to shout loud enough for the rear of the train to hear [a mile away and over their own Diesel engines!!]  The front engine gave out 2 blasts and a single blast came from the rear engines - after which they seemed to pile on the power   ....   I'm not sure if the 2 events were connected - someone better able to explain might know  .....   [Marcus? big jim? {possibly best able to answer, as he seems to spend lots of time behind Marcus - Oops, in trouble again}??]

The Coal trains seem to be standard 1 mile and is referred to as such in some public information I saw. I certainly remember 2 mile long mixed freight trains in 2,000, when I went before - but most of the traffic on the 2,500 miles we did was very much mainly coal. I did see a mixed freight this time, which was much longer than the Coalies, but couldn't tell quite how long as it stretched into the distance and by the time the back end was visible the front end was a long time out of sight in the other direction  .....    :locomotive:  :locomotive:

I did take more photographs of the train, so I have put a slightly bigger version of the Locos here. 

14904939511_ff5e05d440_b.jpg
DSC_0852 crop by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

It looks like Kato do a model of the Locos, in 2 liveries in "Heritage" and the more common, I saw/photographed, the "Building America.", with that big duster on the side being a bit of a give-away. - [again, someone who knows what they are talking about might have more detail.] - anyway the Kato ones can be seen down on this page -

http://katousa.com/HO/AC4400CW/index.html 

Ref the Graffiti uniform, that Brown Job seems to me to be quite correct, referring as it does to another life - and I did start out in Battledress, long before the Blue stuff  ....    :O  

best to get the grubby, muddy stuff out of the way early on, but lots of fun skills gathered in doing so  .....    shooting, disappearing into a scene without people seeing you even 'though you are still in sight [mind you I can still do that in a Bar - and never get served!!], readin' maps, coukin' stuff on meths blocks and SHAAAATIN at folks loud, soosz they couldn't miss it and did wot they wuz told

We got a small car to go round in and did pre-booked Motels, as it is easier to stop and see things, if you want to. [Which, I guess was the best idea, for MD to see things strange and new - and get close up to Locos making noise  ..   ]

• Like 2

Ah so this is where you hide JCredfer. Jaz gave me your link.

In response to your question the reason for the loco's on the back is to reduce the strain on the couplings between the wagons. If the train is 16000 tonnes then rather than having all the loco's on the front taking on all the weight on one coupling some of the weight will be transfer to the rear ones. Believe it or not somewhere along the length of that train will be a slack coupling. It's very similar to banking assistance in this country.

For example we sometimes work some heavy trains from Portbury to Ironbridge carrying Biomass. We have to use 2 Class 66's for this job. Network Rail insist that we have a loco on each end of the train when going up the Lickey incline due to strain on the drawbar. It would be just easier to have both loco's on the front as you only need one driver whereas if it's on the back we need to.

In America and Australia, on some really long trains, you will even find that sometimes they will put loco's in the middle of the consist for the same reason. The American term is "Helper" loco's. These are normally radio controlled with radio signals from the leading loco's being used to apply the power.

Hope this makes some kind of sense.

Cheers

Marcus

Just seen the other question regarding the horns. The back two loco's on that train obviously had a driver on them rather than radio controlled, now it's America so I'm not sure if they are the same as us. Normally the driver of the train will give to blasts on the horn to the assisting driver on the rear to tell him he's ready to move off. The rear driver should then give two blasts back as acknowledgement. This horn code is commonly referred to as "Two Crows"

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Thank you for the posts Marcus   ....    That seems to be pretty much what we saw  .................   and heard!!!!!

Just seen the other question regarding the horns. The back two loco's on that train obviously had a driver on them rather than radio controlled, now it's America so I'm not sure if they are the same as us. Normally the driver of the train will give to blasts on the horn to the assisting driver on the rear to tell him he's ready to move off. The rear driver should then give two blasts back as acknowledgement. This horn code is commonly referred to as "Two Crows"
Cheers
Marcus

I'm not sure about 2 x Crows    ................    much more like a couple of Bison   .....   there lays another tale [not tail]  ....  another time maybe [but I'm now aware what my heart tastes like  ...   yep they are that loud - up close!!]

On the other reply, that is something so obvious and rather hidden      ....    until    ........     only when someone like yourself points it out. The obvious thought is to keep tension on the things you want to pull   .....   but your description is so clear   .....     what is not so obvious, is the tension on the couplings building up, rather like taking many turns on an object with a rope/cord  ....   each turn just a few pounds, but after a hundred - nothing will part it

It also explains why there were always 2 Locos at the back, rather than the front.

We saw the Loco in the middle thing too, with the 2 mile trains, last time we were there  ...  the ones we saw were one up front, one in the middle [a few had 2] and a double at the back.  ....   perhaps as well they have a few miles of fairly straight track to keep that lot sorted ....    :sungum:  :sungum:

[i wonder how many lorries and a driver apiece that lot would have cost   ........    bless our Gov't and may we eventually see a day when some of them have awareness to go with their brains]

PS. What on earth is Biomass  ....   sounds somewhat Quatermass just dug up  ....     :O  :O  :O    [or are you too young for that ...  sounds like I am too old for Biomass  ..   :jester: ]

Well you will be biomass in due time.....technically i suppose you are biomass now.....eventually YOU will be inert biomass......but unless cremated....the biomass will probably not be very inert.......worms..

but usually the term biomass refers to things that are used to power electricity plants....so the super grasses.....and waste wood in chippings etc. Basically it was alive.....and soon it will be up in flames.....

which according to our what is life....flames are.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fanswers.yahoo.com%2Fquestion%2Findex%3Fqid%3D20080908130226AAsGA7Y&ei=f0_vU5OlDuyy7Abys4GoAw&usg=AFQjCNElNa9XvGEmD2YQl5bmho1j1qIiMw&sig2=iLpXJLqYLAl9z9v4PV0ufA