Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

Aaah, Biomass.

Yes definitely too old for that one  .............................................  and seen far too many Gov't [not just ours.] claims for solutions - which simply address a symptom without getting anywhere near the cause    ................

USA coal exports are just another one of many such irrelevant fudges which find a way to continue just as they were before, whilst claiming they are contributing to improvements [in this case saving the Planet from Glasshouse gasses].

......   and then our load of puddings want to look at fining people for putting the wrong stuff in the Bin  .................   no matter how many Targets we [and the USA] achieve at home, it will have no positive effect, in comparison to the millions of tons of Fossil Fuels they are exporting to developing countries.

One company with one fuel [just one of many] alone claims to be exporting 40 million tons of coal per year and looking forward shortly to increasing it to 60 million.  Their claim for why this is good?  Their coal has less Sulfur Sulphur [if they could spell] [in truth about 3.4% not 5-7%] which given the Tonnage of coal, from that company alone, doesn't really seem to me, to be much of a claim any more.

It sort of makes my Green Bin look like another waste of my money   .....   Re-cycling does seem to make sense, where reusing materials goes  ....   I just get tired of puddings making silly claims, which are worse than lies,under the slightest scrutiny.  It happens so often, it is little wonder people get switched off the dears.

Further to the Couplings point - Not long ago [Marcus], I often used to watch the EWS Freight pulling in and out of Westbury Lafarge [was Blue Circle] Cement Plant.  A 47 or similar look-alike and more lately 59/66s[?] with 40-45 Bogie Mineral Hoppers [JHA].

If they were halted, either entering or prior to getting on the main lines, they would stop in a manner which bunched the trucks up together.  I always assumed that this was so the Loco could start each wagon separately, increasing the load on the Loco gradually, thereby avoiding in wheel spin etc.

Would what you said about the strain on the first coupling be equally of relevance drawing away from a halt too?

Edited by jcredfer

Just seen the other question regarding the horns. The back two loco's on that train obviously had a driver on them rather than radio controlled, now it's America so I'm not sure if they are the same as us. Normally the driver of the train will give to blasts on the horn to the assisting driver on the rear to tell him he's ready to move off. The rear driver should then give two blasts back as acknowledgement. This horn code is commonly referred to as "Two Crows"

Cheers

Marcus

In this day and age, I find it slightly surprising that the main Comms are not by radio, or Sat Telephone, which could be monitored in the Signalling Dept. Of course the Horn and other systems would be an essential back up as for most transport systems.

Would it be cynical to suggest that it is simply more fun to let fly with a sound like that  ........    :jester:  :jester:

Talking of    ............   

15020067375_e9a671318f_c.jpg
Keystone Water Twr by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Which we weren't  ....    on here   ........  but were on here    .............   

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-brassed-off-when-she-said-come-and-see-my-etchings/page-271

Come along now - keep up  ........    :locomotive:

When we drove into Keystone, we saw no Cops but did cop a load of that brown thing, on a stand     ............ 

Mum said to MD [Mini Driver]  "Just look there, it's an old fashioned thing for filling trains."

A suitably supercilious and bored voice from the back seat replied "It's called a Water Tower actually Mum."  ...............     :beee:

.........    I concentrated very hard on driving and even harder on suppressing the big giggle  .....    :angel:  :angel:

You can see where I learned about track laying too  ........     :jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

Aaah, Biomass.

Yes definitely too old for that one  .............................................  and seen far too many Gov't [not just ours.] claims for solutions - which simply address a symptom without getting anywhere near the cause    ................

USA coal exports are just another one of many such irrelevant fudges which find a way to continue just as they were before, whilst claiming they are contributing to improvements [in this case saving the Planet from Glasshouse gasses].

......   and then our load of puddings want to look at fining people for putting the wrong stuff in the Bin  .................   no matter how many Targets we [and the USA] achieve at home, it will have no positive effect, in comparison to the millions of tons of Fossil Fuels they are exporting to developing countries.

One company with one fuel [just one of many] alone claims to be exporting 40 million tons of coal per year and looking forward shortly to increasing it to 60 million.  Their claim for why this is good?  Their coal has less Sulfur Sulphur [if they could spell] [in truth about 3.4% not 5-7%] which given the Tonnage of coal, from that company alone, doesn't really seem to me, to be much of a claim any more.

It sort of makes my Green Bin look like another waste of my money   .....   Re-cycling does seem to make sense, where reusing materials goes  ....   I just get tired of puddings making silly claims, which are worse than lies,under the slightest scrutiny.  It happens so often, it is little wonder people get switched off the dears.

FAR worse than that, have you ever seen the miles of wind turbines the US of A has smouldering in its desserts.....once the subsidies dried up....eveerryone lost interest :O

hope that not a promise of what will happen here....cause we usually do follow them :scared:

http://windfarmaction.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/wind-turbines-a-future-blight-of-our-landscape/

Gosh!

The meat in this sandwich has got seriously spicy since I last looked in (when it could all still fit on the window ledge).

A very enjoyable read from Sir Greasily @ Dawlish, through N gauge plotting for MD's play, to the Big Country and recycling empty wine bottles.

:dancing:

dhig

P.S.

I read in that posh www.smarttinc.com website that the idea for those radio controlled trains a mile or more long came originally from DCC model railroading.  On some railroads a guy shunts the yard sitting in his automobile using his mobile phone app.

.....and now there are going to be crewless ships bringing all the crates of Hornby trains across the world for us for Christmas....

.............     :O  :O  :O  :O  :O

P.S.

I read in that posh www.smarttinc.com website that the idea for those radio controlled trains a mile or more long came originally from DCC model railroading.  On some railroads a guy shunts the yard sitting in his automobile using his mobile phone app.
.....and now there are going to be crewless ships bringing all the crates of Hornby trains across the world for us for Christmas....

........    :O  :O  :O  :O  :O

Gosh!

The meat in this sandwich has got seriously spicy since I last looked in (when it could all still fit on the window ledge).

A very enjoyable read from Sir Greasily @ Dawlish, through N gauge plotting for MD's play, to the Big Country and recycling empty wine bottles.

:dancing:

dhig

P.S.

scary.....still more scary that they are really looking to put computer controlled cars on the road.....still if the boxes end up a little scuffed Hornby might knock 'em down for Xmas..... :angel:

Can't see computer controlled cars happening for a long time   ........

1. People prefer to be in control of their own car   ....................................................................                when they crash.

2. Can't even get round to making Manufacturers fit Engine Cut-out Apps, tied in with a tracker, so Police can stop Hi-jack/Thief/Young tearaways. [Wait for straight bit of road - cut motor - out of car and - "Present Wrists!"  ....   :sungum:  .   far too simple for our merry band of green leather polishers.   .....   :scratchhead:  ]

3. Not enough profit in it yet, for the green leather polishers.

PS. When in that bigger playground, I saw 3 accidents, in 2 weeks, rather more than the equivalent mileage in our little back yard, here.  Also quite significant, was that all of them had simply driven off the side of the road  ....  :boast:........    none had any evidence of a reason - [Overtaking; Sharp Bend; Severe Camber, Naked Lady Hitch-hiking; Bison playing Cars; Child with Machine gun; Late at night; etc - simply nothing.]  ............      in 2 cases, they had made very poor choices as to which piece of landscape to do it and the 3rd wasn't getting out of the ditch without a big crane either  ........    :O :o

I think they have plans for the M25 to try and turn it into a motorway....rather than a giant carpark... :angel:

although it does rather scarily remind me of a scaletrix set......as in when you come to the exit points and the owner is then meant to take back the controls....i hope they have some pans.

either. 1. an initial take over length where if they 'fail' to control the vehicle.....they are taken to a car park, rather than just 'shoot' off the end

2. they have some type of run off areas.....like you do with locos 

3. that the amount of space involved in allowing idios to take back control does not involve the requirement of a giant carpark..... :sarcastichand:

Edited by Jaz

Talking of    ............   

15020067375_e9a671318f_c.jpg

Keystone Water Twr by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Which we weren't  ....    on here   ........  but were on here    .............   

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-brassed-off-when-she-said-come-and-see-my-etchings/page-271

Come along now - keep up  ........    :locomotive:

When we drove into Keystone, we saw no Cops but did cop a load of that brown thing, on a stand     ............ 

Mum said to MD [Mini Driver]  "Just look there, it's an old fashioned thing for filling trains."

A suitably supercilious and bored voice from the back seat replied "It's called a Water Tower actually Mum."  ...............     :beee:

.........    I concentrated very hard on driving and even harder on suppressing the big giggle  .....    :angel:  :angel:

You can see where I learned about track laying too  ........     :jester:  :jester:

Your N layout, is looking pretty good,from that picture J,  beat's mine, hand's down..........

• 3 weeks later...

The Wg Co has got a visitor   .....   just arrived to set up the change his Broadband to Fibre-optic, which has recently arrived here   .......    21st Century arrives around Ye Old Sarum at last  ......     :locomotive:

........................    [mind you - it still 'ain't fast - 'cause of the 1/2 mile of copper between the end of the Fibre and the Yard   .........    :O  :O   ..............    still, it is better than the 3 miles of copper before-hand.]

The chap had only just got out of his truck, when the Wg Co caught a movement out of the corner of his eye     ...........................     The Army fella took one look at the Wg Co's face and disappeared behind the Signal Box, muttering something about what long journeys in that Radio Truck could do to a fella's bladder    ...........

[  ........    quite wise too, if you ask me  ....    the Wg Co can gat a bit noisy at times  ....      :stinker:  ....  ]

15061736990_b3e8c7a792_c.jpg
IMG_0482 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The Wg Co has got a visitor   .....   just arrived to set up the change his Broadband to Fibre-optic, which has recently arrived here   .......    21st Century arrives around Ye Old Sarum at last  ......     :locomotive:

........................    [mind you - it still 'ain't fast - 'cause of the 1/2 mile of copper between the end of the Fibre and the Yard   .........    :O  :O   ..............    still, it is better than the 3 miles of copper before-hand.]

The chap had only just got out of his truck, when the Wg Co caught a movement out of the corner of his eye     ...........................     The Army fella took one look at the Wg Co's face and disappeared behind the Signal Box, muttering something about what long journeys in that Radio Truck could do to a fella's bladder    ...........

[  ........    quite wise too, if you ask me  ....    the Wg Co can gat a bit noisy at times  ....      :stinker:  ....  ]

15061736990_b3e8c7a792_c.jpg

IMG_0482 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

He looks a bit wrapped to my mind....LOL

The Wg Co has  recently arrived  back.......    21st Century arrives around Ye Old Sarum at last  ......     

Nice to see him perched back on his window cill sandwich after all that Route 66 Fat Boy stuff riding across the Big Country.... :sungum:

but..... :stop: we could have waited until his Batman had finshed unwrapping the Tardis

dhig

.........................   ADJUTANT!    ............    HERE   ..  NOW!!

...................   Clatter of highly polished shoes from the direction of the Refueling Depot, where a pre OC's Inspection was to have taken place  ......

................    Explain   ...........    if you have managed to find the wit to follow anything around here  .......

15245315541_4636b9dbfd_c.jpg
IMG_0480 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

.......................    The Adj doesn't speak any too well with his jaw resting on his toecaps  .............        ..    :stinker:   .....

...      stammers  ...  "No idea Sir, there was nothing in the Signals or Mail over the last few days.  ....   I had better go and check with Support Command to see if they know anything about it Sir."

...   "Yes, ok then Adj, but before you go, what the blazes is that noise?"

The Adj smiles inwardly as he replies, it's nice to be one-up on the Old Man   ...    "That Sir is a Refrigerated Container Sir, it's the blue one with P&O on the side.  If you look at the front,you can see the Works and the Controls, Sir"

Wg Co starts to look a little unhappy, something has stirred in his memory, as he stares at the Refrigerated Container and the Adj nips down to speak with the Sgt Driver of the train.   ..  a few seconds later the Adj calls back  ....    "It's Ok Sir, only one of these Containers is for us - funny enough - it's the blue one with P&O on the side. I had better dash and call Command quick, for a Lifter to get it orf the truck"  .....

............   Wg Co goes pale around the gills and grips the Signal Box Handrail to steady himself - as he stares at the Container trying to find a clue as to the contents    ........    ..................   ...........

..................   "No - belay that call to Command, Adj, I'll get a Civvy firm in   ....   it .....   eerr  ..  it'll be quicker  ...   "

..  "Right you are Sir, I had better get too it now then   .....    the Driver has to deliver the others too.."  says the Adj very brightly - sensing there is revenge blood to be had here   .....   "Is everything Ok, Sir?"

Wg Co doesn't reply, he is staring at the Container, as if it was about to go off with a mighty bang    ............    he is very much hoping it is NOT what he thinks it might be   .........

It was the Adj's use of the words Refrigerated Container which truly irked him  ...   rather deeply too  .......    

A quick phone call brings a Lifter     .........     leaving the Wg Co contemplating what he is going to do with a Container   ...............

15071229249_934d3d3fa7_c.jpg
IMG_0485 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

......   that size  .....   with his head full of I Scream when all he had thought he ordered was a small garden Container of Ice-cream for his BBQ set   ...........     

At least the Driver is happy again, as he trundles away   ....      :sungum:

15071778557_db7fdf7cac_c.jpg
IMG_0486 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

PS.  You are quite right Jaz ...   it is a lovely warm day here but every now and again there is a chill draught that seems to chase around the room   ......   must be the time of the year  ....   or maybe from that Container which just arrived    ........  Brrr! there it goes again   ...

• Like 1

with his head full of I Scream when all he had thought he ordered was a small garden Container of Ice-cream for his BBQ set   ...........    

Um.......

This actually happened to me with woven rush matting in Malawi.

A village out near Mlange mountain made these as a local industry so via a draughtsman I ordered a 10 ft diameter circular one.

I kept on asking when was it going to arrive....eventually after several months the reply came that they were going to start clearing the bush to assemble it for me next week.

Alarm Bells!

The draughtsman and I drove out to check and the chief produced a much thumbed note with 3.00 meters dia. still clearly legible on it. :rtfm:

Fortunately my friendly Italian contractor offered to collect all the mats in a big truck and stored them in an empty go-down. Last time I saw him he was in his eighties, still selling them!

:dancer:

dhig

Edit: :fool:  still trying to think how to make this post more On Topic

Edited by runs as required

Perhaps    ...........

still trying to think how to make this post more On Topic

it might have ............

collect all the mats in a big truck

......................   been a railway truck   ....   ??   ......    :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wg Co has been struggling with that massive number of Ice-creams which arrived a while ago now   .......

................    looks a bit lonely out there with only his thoughts for company    ..........................      

15446448576_90918f05b0_c.jpg
DSC_1082 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

He thought he could feed the Penguin with it   .............     now the poor thing is so big it can't get into the pool any more    ......   

He was just pondering what else he might do - when he was rudely interrupted by a great hiss of steam    .....

15469200822_2051002495_c.jpg
DSC_1083 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Oh yes ..  he remembered  ...  the basis for one of his other schemes had arrived   ...................    

......    can't imagine what he might be able to do with that lot      ................................    

15469534725_1ce7716bde_c.jpg
DSC_1084 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Oooohh yes of course     ................................

15282648619_fa2bf86657_c.jpg
DSC_1085 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

........................    unload it   ................................   and stare wondering how many people he could find for his    ..............................     Beer and Ice-cream Party    ......     :boast:

Penguin isn't looking too happy about it - cos he doesn't think much of a party involving Ice-cream and Autumn weather    ...............    :no:

.....................    and he knows where Beer is likely too end up if the Party is s flop   ............   a few weeks ago he was only just tall enough to scramble onto the side of his pool there   .....    :O  :O

Goodness me there it goes again   ....   that sweep of ice cold through the room ......   :scratchhead: ..............  but no draught with it   .......    [No! - forget it dt  -  nothing to do with the liquid in those Kegs  ...   :nono:  ]

I'm off to find a warm pullover    .......    Brrrrr  .............

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

You should consider entering that penguin for the Guiness (beer) book of records.....

either for the sheer size of him.....or for the number of choc ices he has consumed...... :O

and if the CO ends up popping any excess beer in his pond.....he will end up draughty........ :jester:

ooooh....talking about the cold.....it has bought on a shiver........Im off to get a hot chocolate with marshmallows......and possibly some cream.......not iced :sungum: .....Brrrr..........

Well   ...............    now then  .....      Wg Co was in for an even bigger shock    ..........

Brrrrr  ..  Brrrrr  ....  there it goes again            ...................    like being in a Blast Freezer without the Blast    ..........    but just as cold   ...    :O

Well now  ...   where did we leave the Wg Co    ....................    oh yes ..  contemplating his Kegs and icy bits  .............

While he was full of doing that   .......................   there was a ...   Whoosh   and  ....   a BIG Crashing noise    ...................................   Well, I can tell you  - that got his attention  ...   even 'though he was thinking other things   ....

Can you imagine what it was    .................   just take a look at this  .............................

15282860470_c820262403_c.jpg
DSC_1089 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

.......    it quite took his breath away  ..  what with it being all long and purple coloured    .......   

anyway there it was    ............    and what a mess it made of my .. the Refueling Bay   .........

Oh - wait, what is that on the back of it   ........     :O

15469224332_f789130501_c.jpg
DSC_1091 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Wow   .............   it really is them

15283008897_243e6b1295_c.jpg
DSC_1087 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Well where have they been  .........   it's ages since they were last seen in Azkaban Arbouritum    ..................    how did Mini Driver and Harvey get a lift on the Knight Bus ... ........     and what is more - how did the Knight Bus get here  ..  that looks to have had the odd brush with the scenery too   ....    new driver I guess   ............

Anyway  .......   in the circumstances  ......................    this is rather inevitable   ..............     it is his Yard after all    ...........................

15469556755_a093c1165b_c.jpg
DSC_1094 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Harvey seems to be taking a "back seat" in this conversation    ....................................      ....................................     or is he    ................      

• Like 2

Well   ...............    now then  .....      Wg Co was in for an even bigger shock    ..........

Brrrrr  ..  Brrrrr  ....  there it goes again            ...................    like being in a Blast Freezer without the Blast    ..........    but just as cold   ...    :O

Well now  ...   where did we leave the Wg Co    ....................    oh yes ..  contemplating his Kegs and icy bits  .............

While he was full of doing that   .......................   there was a ...   Whoosh   and  ....   a BIG Crashing noise    ...................................   Well, I can tell you  - that got his attention  ...   even 'though he was thinking other things   ....

Can you imagine what it was    .................   just take a look at this  .............................

15282860470_c820262403_c.jpg

DSC_1089 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

.......    it quite took his breath away  ..  what with it being all long and purple coloured    .......   

anyway there it was    ............    and what a mess it made of my .. the Refueling Bay   .........

Oh - wait, what is that on the back of it   ........     :O

15469224332_f789130501_c.jpg

DSC_1091 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Wow   .............   it really is them

15283008897_243e6b1295_c.jpg

DSC_1087 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Well where have they been  .........   it's ages since they were last seen in Azkaban Arbouritum    ..................    how did Mini Driver and Harvey get a lift on the Knight Bus ... ........     and what is more - how did the Knight Bus get here  ..  that looks to have had the odd brush with the scenery too   ....    new driver I guess   ............

Anyway  .......   in the circumstances  ......................    this is rather inevitable   ..............     it is his Yard after all    ...........................

15469556755_a093c1165b_c.jpg

DSC_1094 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Harvey seems to be taking a "back seat" in this conversation    ....................................      ....................................     or is he    ................      

Am so pleased mindriver managed to get home...considering the driving skills and her name....I hope she wasn't the driver :O  although if Harvey was a backseat driver perhaps it might explain things.......

So it would appear there is a magic service to Arboretum Valley......I wonder if we will be seeing her there again?????

• Like 1

What amazes me is how well they look after the Knight Bus experience   ...........    "Beautiful plumage painting" still.  ....   more than can be said for the Bus  .....

Apparently Harvey had a really bad moment when the Knight Bus paused for a moment outside the Bungalow    ........    right next to that CAT on the wall  ........     he is a bit of a wuss anyway but THAT!   .......       :O  :O .....   :stinker:

Mini Driver [MD] looked at her Mini-me and immediately said - "that's my Skating coat and Trousers   ........   Cool or what" .....

........   followed by, "look at Harvey  ...   he's even got the white spot on top of his head  ...  "

To be serious for a moment, I don't think either of us had any idea just how small these little beauties are.  I have no idea how you managed to get the Chocolate Roan colouring on Harvey either. and to get a Cocker Spaniel profile at that size is simply beyond imagination.

Jaz - our very grateful thanks

PS. I don't think the Wg Co is quite aware that Harvey is creeping up from behind    ......    

15282672029_86857869d5_c.jpg
DSC_1099 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

HARVEY   ....  NO!   ..............

He may be fully adult now  .....    but the Brain hasn't caught up with the fact yet   ...   and a nice piece of blue cloth would be just what he likes to get his teeth into.........     :sungum: