Light Switches? ... Turning the Tables...

jcredfer

The loft is not a bad idea for most, although here, being a new-build, the space is like a wooden Funnel Spider Web  ....    and with modern layers of insulation it is B*** cold in the space too  ....

I was thinking about storage...hiding behind a door that might accidentally slam into them... :O ...is the loft no good?

All is not lost, as I will make a simple door stop to prevent my delicate workings feeble fumblings from being damaged  .........   I am aiming to keep them on the trestles until SWMBO forces retreat stack them on end [hence all the same length and width]  .....    I would, probably, then bolt Ply to their ends - a bit like a bicycle rack but it won't be bicycles  ....   :picknose:

It is also a door that stays open, for the most part, as it is to the en-suite Bog   ........     :stinker:   ....   might even take on a realistic trackside odour   .....    :O

PS. the video arrived while I was typing this  ...   love it especially the last one with the second hit from the front door too  .......      :devil:     ......     :jester:  :jester: :jester:  ....   why didn't she notice the bloke inside  ....  :jester:

I thought I might just slide the Left hand curves round a little to avoid having points over a Board join      ................................      they really didn't like that   .........

So   .........   deleted the whole left curves and started again at the curved points, in accord with the recommended pieces     ............   then added curves to the top and joined it onto the very top // lines  ......

Adjustments were made over the rest of the layout working out to fit to those curved points and the whole thing is now much more tidy  .....     :sungum:

15524986242_12d9a43941_c.jpg
Hogwarts 4ft x 6'2ft tidied up by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I rather like the idea of replacing the RH Points with those curved ones, at the  top left where the purple circle is      ..............    but a little uncertain of position about the use of more Setrack Curved points  .....    :scratchhead:

As it is there is a small bit of track sticking out, which will need some protection, or make it a re-movable bit of track, at the place in the circle  ...  

All in all The plan fits the limited Board size and - many thanks to Sasquatch - now has a much more practical working layout for the points   .......    :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

There are two older peco curved points on Dunster. The only problems I have encountered with them seem to be stock fitted with fine scale wheel sets (such as Gibson) derailing and maybe some older short wheel base locomotives may stall when slow running.

They are dead frog types, the frog being just over an inch long.

The two Hornby ones I owned once got ripped up and binned however! 

The newer Peco settrack offerings are different from the type I used and believe they are an improvement on the older ones.

Hope this helps.

Regards Squatch. 

Hi Shaun  ......

There are two older peco curved points on Dunster. The only problems I have encountered with them seem to be stock fitted with fine scale wheel sets (such as Gibson) derailing and maybe some older short wheel base locomotives may stall when slow running.

They are dead frog types, the frog being just over an inch long.

The two Hornby ones I owned once got ripped up and binned however! 

The newer Peco settrack offerings are different from the type I used and believe they are an improvement on the older ones.

Hope this helps.

Regards Squatch. 

That is very interesting news about the Curved Points.  I had seen the odd comment but nothing so specific, thank you very much.

I feel a visit to one of my local model shops approaching  ....    it looks like a small trial may be advisable  .....   particularly as Peco have a new version, a little care may be advisable.  ...   :scratchhead:

A Johnny-come-Lately to this thread - here is a really silly alternative :

Think about those balanced pulley systems that raise and lower heavy light (chandelier) installations. With that in mind what about having a rigid assembly that gets "flown" up and down to the ceiling?

Obviously leave enough clearance below the ceiling not to crush stuff. Then you ( and MD) can decorate the underside of the layout -rather like the Sistine Chapel.

dhig

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1

Yeah them there pan holders / clothes dryer....are making a comeback.....very retro.....so might be easy to get hold of the workings.......but when you untie the rope you might want to be careful........and if someone else investigates the rope but does not look up....it here might be some Youtube opportunities.... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

That is an excellent idea, oh Great Running One  .........    

Think about those balanced pulley systems that raise and lower heavy light (chandelier) installations. With that in mind what about having a rigid assembly that gets "flown" up and down to the ceiling?
Obviously leave enough clearance below the ceiling not to crush stuff. Then you ( and MD) can decorate the underside of the layout -rather like the Sistine Chapel.

dhig

Unfortunately we had the decorators in this week and there might be mass persecution repercussions should I dare to attack the new paint job   ...........   with drill and screws  ......     :scared:

However, all is not lost  ................   I have always had a liking for the GWR Platform Benches and fancied one for the garden   ....    and - more importantly - managed to sell the idea to you-know-who  ..........    :angel:      .................    WOW!  ....

Nothing like striking when the Iron is hot   .....   last week, off I galloped trotted to the local emporium for such items    .......    :sungum:  :sungum:     and today - lo and behold it arrived  .........

Lookin' good out there Huh!  ......   ;)

15378256297_d9caa8afb0_c.jpg
Garden Seat by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

• Like 2

Ok   ……….   The truth will out……..
I went to the Model Train Emporium to get a Metcalf kit and some Roket Card sticky.

First was to look at the system   ……    quite nice with a Jig included for putting the planks on  …… 

next the bits for the legs, which were scored as if to fold, but  the instructions showed them as separate.  I chose to go the fold the score way and that wasn’t particularly smart – the score was far too shallow for the thin bits of the legs and needed additional scoring so as to fold easily, as in the picture   ……..

15564723325_5c646d9e50_c.jpg
GWR Seat Parts by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The GWR Logos go on both sides of the legs and they are then glued and folded up together  ….  Then  …..  I got visitors, so no pressure then   ……   both with vested interests – one for sitting and I had better spray a little matt waterproof varnish on the legs for the other  …    :O

15379074870_b6db263e1c_c.jpg
GWR Seat bits by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I also found it easier to glue the seat and back to, just, the outer 2 x legs in the jig and glue the 3rd afterwards  …  having 3 legs in the Jig was too many to keep in place  ……
It was rather fiddly as the bits were so small and very light, so they jumped about whenever they could, even in the Jig  …..  Considering there are only 11 bits each for the 4 Benches, it took quite a time and Mini-Harvey was well asleep by the time they were done  ….     :)

15562187481_3ca8819473_c.jpg

GWR Seats 1 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Eh  ...     What on Ea……     …. “Excuse me. Oi! You. Yes you …   just step back from the bench there.”  …   “Bloomin’ cheek  …   Hey put that down …  who do you think you are  ……  where do you think  …   Oi!  …….     :angry:

............................                 Perhaps you will excuse me for a moment  …………   :you:

• Like 4

Well … of all the cheek  ….    

……….  Oh, it’s you Sir   ………………….  Eeerr, yes  …  well ……  eerr  - I’m sorry to have shouted at you  ….   Yes – I do know what those braids on your sleeves mean  …….   Cur ………..  

Just because he has a party lined up to get rid of all that Ice-cream  ….  Wants some seating for the party too   ….  It’s all right for him just pulling rank and demanding the benches, but if he doesn’t get those Kegs out of the Indian Summer Sun …..  he will be pulling another sort of rank ..........……     :swoon:

He even has the cheek to pose with the Kegs and one of my seats for the invitation pictures  ….  

15540706086_9ae642a0ef_c.jpg
Wg Co + seat 2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

……….   He seems to have rather more permanent intentions for one of the benches, as a re-fueller’s rest  ..

15379364090_02baaaa59d_c.jpg
Refueller's Rest 2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

He seems quite pleased with himself  …..      

• Like 7

dhig

:O....  :no:

raise and lower heavy light (chandelier) installations.

That is an excellent idea, oh Great Running One  .........    

Unfortunately we had the decorators in this week and there might be mass persecution repercussions should I dare to attack the new paint job   ...........   with drill and screws  ......     :scared:

However, all is not lost  ................   I have always had a liking for the GWR Platform Benches and fancied one for the garden   ....    and - more importantly - managed to sell the idea to you-know-who  ..........    :angel:      .................    WOW!  ....

Nothing like striking when the Iron is hot   .....   last week, off I galloped trotted to the local emporium for such items    .......    :sungum:  :sungum:     and today - lo and behold it arrived  .........

Lookin' good out there Huh!  ......   ;)

15378256297_d9caa8afb0_c.jpg

Garden Seat by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

...and just how....am I to get my bum......on that mini bench? even if MD was still mini driver she would not fit her bum on it......

even a good sized bug would by hard pressed.......

Ehem!  .......   you should have seen what was going on behind those containers   .........     :O  :O  :nono:

Can you have a word with that pair on the middle seat please. No hanky panky like that on here. This is a respectable Forum!! LOL.
Seriously though JC, nice work on the benches mate.
Cheers
Marcus

Still waiting on the arrival of the kit for the train-set tables.  ..................    so looked at another idea for a plan  ..............     that program is addictive  .....     :sungum:

15516586128_17ec74d9cf_c.jpg
Double track OO plus sidings 6'2 x 4' by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

• Like 2

Hi,

what do you use to draw your plans?

looks good

It is the paid up version of AnyRail and I find it very easy to use   ...............................    if not a bit addictive, like Chess without checkmate  ...    :sungum:  :sungum:

I have got a replacement of the figure for the mini driver / md and will make her up....and will need yet another Harvey in due course. You'll have to give me a couple of photographs of him so I can try and match the colouring as I forgot to photograph him...DOH......

Sounds good Jaz  .......

I have got a replacement of the figure for the mini driver / md and will make her up....and will need yet another Harvey in due course. You'll have to give me a couple of photographs of him so I can try and match the colouring as I forgot to photograph him...DOH......

Strangely enough I just got a new camera, yesterday   ......................    I am currently involved in putting out the fire in my wallet  ..........      :jester: ...........     :O ..........................

I managed to find a button to press to take pictures    .................       :locomotive:   ..............................................           .......................................................              ............................................        I think  .......   

I will get some pictures out as soon as I have worked out how to install some sort of App, it is demanding     .........      :scratchhead:

Sounds good Jaz  .......

Strangely enough I just got a new camera, yesterday   ......................    I am currently involved in putting out the fire in my wallet  ..........      :jester: ...........     :O ..........................

I managed to find a button to press to take pictures    .................       :locomotive:   ..............................................           .......................................................              ............................................        I think  .......   

I will get some pictures out as soon as I have worked out how to install some sort of App, it is demanding     .........      :scratchhead:

not laughing t your woes, you understand but at the fire in the sky rocket.......

I thought I might try to see what the camera would do in standard settings   ..........     hummmmm           .................   picture what?   .....

It is about time I repainted a figure, so started with 2 x pictures, one Florescent and then flash - neither very good with flash being to close and direct  - it needs deflecting  ...   I'm ok with that ..    :sungum:

15563704410_9626b47070_c.jpg
Focus 3 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Then flash - too close ....

15563101598_417b4e3a2e_c.jpg
Paint 2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Both show that the little chap has some problems    ......    paint and excess flash   ................    and that HAIR!   .....    :O

First he went for the "Snip"   ..........    there, not too bad was it  ......    arms no longer strapped to Bum  ......      :sungum:

15563142048_6decbe7e7c_c.jpg
Paint 11 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Next a little grey hair, once the top had been rubbed down with an Emery Board to get rid of the Tin-Tin hair-cut  .......   

and then the shirt and most of the face and arms     ...............................................    unfortunately the [his] left eye-brow got a bit extended, so I will cover that when the paint gets dry  ..........

A touch of dark blue for the trousers and a check of how it went      ........................     Tomorrow he can get tidied up around the waist and that eye finished

15562715319_b4a7a67590_c.jpg
Paint 9 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

A check to see how he fits in with a couple of friends   ....

15563292797_b71feb742c_c.jpg
. by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

That helps to see what needs tidying, in the morning, as the detail with the camera is quite good

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 4

I thought I might try to see what the camera would do in standard settings   ..........     hummmmm           .................   picture what?   .....

It is about time I repainted a figure, so started with 2 x pictures, one Florescent and then flash - neither very good with flash being to close and direct  - it needs deflecting  ...   I'm ok with that ..    :sungum:

15563704410_9626b47070_c.jpg

Focus 3 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Then flash - too close ....

15563101598_417b4e3a2e_c.jpg

Paint 2 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Both show that the little chap has some problems    ......    paint and excess flash   ................    and that HAIR!   .....    :O

First he went for the "Snip"   ..........    there, not too bad was it  ......    arms no longer strapped to Bum  ......      :sungum:

15563142048_6decbe7e7c_c.jpg

Paint 11 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Next a little grey hair, once the top had been rubbed down with an Emery Board to get rid of the Tin-Tin hair-cut  .......   

and then the shirt and most of the face and arms     ...............................................    unfortunately the [his] left eye-brow got a bit extended, so I will cover that when the paint gets dry  ..........

A touch of dark blue for the trousers and a check of how it went      ........................     Tomorrow he can get tidied up around the waist and that eye finished

15562715319_b4a7a67590_c.jpg

Paint 9 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

A check to see how he fits in with a couple of friends   ....

15563292797_b71feb742c_c.jpg

. by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

That helps to see what needs tidying, in the morning, as the detail with the camera is quite good

The figures often have very smooth heads, adding some tacky paint can help, 

The right arm still needs a bit of filing,

and put a thin brush in some black or dark brown, then in some water, (or if you have weathering colours) and let the thinned black flow into the crevices, have a cotton bud handy to remove mistakes / excess..A slight touch under the arms for shadows works well too.

Don't touch the face I think as the other bits improve....this will actually photograph well....And you need an angle to show his feet he looks as though they are chopped off on the last picture.....looks good on those new benches.....  :sungum:

and swop MD for Harvey I think his other side looks more realistic....you can bend him slightly (make sure his warm and not in a cold place as then he would be more likely to crack!!!) to get him more 'grounded'

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Thank you Jaz,

I will have to rub his feet down a bit and add some card extensions, as they are just as truncated as you observe.

I will also get to the rest of the flash, it looked as 'though it had gone, until that photo  ....    it is amazing how revealing the pictures are   ......    an additional tool   ....     :sungum:

The figures often have very smooth heads, adding some tacky paint can help, 

The right arm still needs a bit of filing,

and put a thin brush in some black or dark brown, then in some water, (or if you have weathering colours) and let the thinned black flow into the crevices, have a cotton bud handy to remove mistakes / excess..A slight touch under the arms for shadows works well too.

Don't touch the face I think as the other bits improve....this will actually photograph well....And you need an angle to show his feet he looks as though they are chopped off on the last picture.....looks good on those new benches.....  :sungum:

and swop MD for Harvey I think his other side looks more realistic....you can bend him slightly (make sure his warm and not in a cold place as then he would be more likely to crack!!!) to get him more 'grounded'

The wire out of his tail is still there, so he will ground better when that comes off.  I left it temporarily so I don't loose him, with that camouflaged coat of his.  When I park him somewhere, I will do the tail and use some tacky-wax to keep him secure.  I will possibly do the same with MD too.

How many Avatars have you made for people now    ...........    you will be getting a reputation   ...  as if you haven't got one already  .......    

Oh and the picture looks cool as your Avatar.....

To be fair, that was a secondary reason for the figure painting, but I wanted to do it without saying, in case it didn't work out  ......     :senile:

Edit = spelling

Edited by jcredfer