Coombe Viaduct, Saltash and the Royal Albert Bridge

Kris

It's possible ( just) to walk across on the Tamar side at low water. You will still get your feet wet as even at dead low water there is a small stream. Don't forget that in the period you are modelling there was a walkway on the West side of the viaduct to allow people to walk across without going round Coombe creek. It was removed about 1970 I think.

• RMweb Premium

The walkway was rather rickety from what I understand. For some reason the walkway and it's associated paths still show on the online Cornwall Council planning map. 

Progress has been slower for the past few days. It's been rather too nice to be inside modelling. I have however been creating a catch point for the loop. I'm unsure as to whether this was single or duel bladed as I can't find any photos showing it. As the equivalent point work at the other end was single bladed I'm going for the same. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi any updates,pictures to report on the layout.

Cheers

Very little progress has been made in the last 8 months, certainly very little photo worthy progress anyhow. I've been lucky to have had 1/2 an hour a week to spend doing things and all to often this has been spent procrastinating. 

What has happened?

• I have completed the wiring on the plain tracks of the main board, however I am still not happy with the control options that I have for the points and keep looking at new solutions for this. The idea of a linear servo keeps popping into my head as some of the points are in very awkward locations for motors.
  • I have started to line some of the arches on the viaduct. So far I have done 3 of these. Filler is now needed to hide some of the joins. Cutting the underside of an arch that is on a curve is a horrid job.
  • I have put some more wire former in place for the landscape to be constructed on.
  • More stock has been purchased, well it just had to be done. 
  • The final development has been the redesign of the fiddle yard area. Having constructed this and tested it, I reached the conclusion back in June (was it that long ago!) that the loops were too short and that the entrance point work was overly restrictive. The redesigned yard solves these issues, and all the track work for it has been purchased. I have not relayed the track work however as I need to rebuild the baseboards for the fiddle yard to accommodate the new layout. 

And my New Years resolution? - To spend less time procrastinating and more time building. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

So where were we? Oh yes that was it, the non progress report. This time however there is a little more positive progress to mention, especially as less than a couple of months have past (just).

First up those making those points work. 1 of the points is on the viaduct, and the another is on the road bridge, places that are not suitable for a conventional point motor. Well I tried servos, but these would not settle to hold the securely in place. They would also continuously "chatter", something that I would not accept. I have now tried the Minx microdrive, they sure are expensive, but they fit in the locations that I need them to and so far I have succeeded in getting 3 of the 4 to work successfully. The final one needs to tweaking to make it work acceptably 100% of the time. 

post-163-0-56891900-1424631709_thumb.jpg

This shows the motors in place for the trap point and the point on the road bridge. It's the road bridge one that needs to be tweaked, typical that this is hard to get at. 

I have also been ensuring that the wiring is correct. The plan running lines are working (well that's the easy part ). The point that leads to the goods loop is also wired. I have managed to reverse the polarity on the diamond crossing, so that needs sorting. The cross over also needs to have the frogs wired correctly. 

In terms of the viaduct, I have now lined the tops of the arches, I have also been putting the tops of the arches on the legs. This was even worse than the main arches. So far it's not been a neat job, but once the filling has been done then it should look ok. I have also placed the inner face of the viaduct in place (held there with blue tac). I wanted to see how much trimming needed to be done (lots).

post-163-0-75116800-1424633815_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-06692200-1424633844_thumb.jpg

I guess that's it for now, hopefully not long until the next update, but we'll just wait and see.  

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

A quick update. 

A few minutes poking at the point motor that didn't work properly has solved this problem. It would appear that the link arm was causing the issues. I have redesigned this, which has also allowed me to push the motor a little further back which means it will be less intrusive under the bridge, bit of a bonus all round. 

Sorting the wiring next for the diamond crossing I think. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well a month and a bit has been and gone since I last had any real updates to make.

I had planned to get lots done over the past couple of weeks as I had holiday, but somehow I ended up with a list of jobs longer than my arm that seemed to be self replenishing (don't you just hate those lists!) to the extent that I ended up with about a day to spend on myself. Still mustn't grumble as I did manage to knock 1 large item off the layout list, the building of new fiddle yard boards to allow for an extended fiddle yard. I still need to make legs up for these 3 new boards but they fit together nicely. Of course having done this I had to pop the track down (temporarily) to make sure that it fitted. Once the track is laid it gives me 6 through roads each of 8ft. The centre 2 of these are broken in the middle with a scissor crossing to allow for 3 shorter trains to be used and still have a through track. There is a scissor crossing at each end of the yard to allow access to all lines from both the up and down mains.

I'll let the picture bellow do the rest of the talking.

post-163-0-75597400-1428683755_thumb.jpg

Lets hope it's not to long until the next update can be made!

• Like 11

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's amazing how not to long between updates can rapidly become several months, an update however this is. 

Progress report - 

- The layout now has legs. They are very skinny and when each board is up on it's own the result is wobbly, however when the whole is up and together the result is far more stable. 

- The fiddle yard boards have been joined to the main scenic board. 

- The fiddle yard track has been laid and wired. (Well half the points still have their motors to be connected, but the rest is done).

- The main bus wires have been connected throughout all the boards. 

The first train has completed a circuit without derailing. For the record, this was a hall class loco pulling 7 coaches. Watching this pass over the viaduct in both directions has shown that the view point from a few inches below track level is a cracker and to me justifies having very high boards. There is a video of it passing, but that will have to wait for later. 

There are still tweaks that need to be made to the track work in places but it's alive! 

Hopefully I will be able to make some good progress over the next few days. 

• Like 5

It's possible ( just) to walk across on the Tamar side at low water. You will still get your feet wet as even at dead low water there is a small stream. Don't forget that in the period you are modelling there was a walkway on the West side of the viaduct to allow people to walk across without going round Coombe creek. It was removed about 1970 I think.

I think it may have been later .The Tamar view estate was built in the eighties and one of the inhabitants remembers walking across the walkway when living there. It was v. rickety and the middle fell out before it was removed I think.

Edited by robert17649

• RMweb Premium

I think it may have been later .The Tamar view estate was built in the eighties and one of the inhabitants remembers walking across the walkway when living there. It was v. rickety and the middle fell out before it was removed I think.

Thanks for the extra info. Always good to know. 

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Kris - this is gonna be fab :good:

Is that Kato track in the FY?

It is Kato track in the fiddle yard. Someone put up a lot of the point work on very cheap buy it nows on ebay so it got snapped up. It seemed to make sense as the longer term plan is to extend the layout, and as the fiddle yard is all sectional track it is easy to reconfigure.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Holidays, they do seem to get in the way of modelling nearly as much as work. 

In between this I have been able to get some further bits done to Coombe viaduct. After many hours work with plasticard, I could not get the structure to look right. Previously I have said that I don't like printed card structures. I'm still not a great fan of them, but I have poked at a variety of photo textures to create a reasonable likeness of the the viaduct. Putting this on has meant stripping off all of the plasticard I had already added and then trying to remove the glue, that was a fun job!

Still I now have the main viewing side of the viaduct clad, along with most of the inner faces of the leg pillars. 

post-163-0-97632500-1441307671_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

In between this I have been able to get some further bits done to Coombe viaduct. After many hours work with plasticard, I could not get the structure to look right. Previously I have said that I don't like printed card structures. I'm still not a great fan of them, but I have poked at a variety of photo textures to create a reasonable likeness of the the viaduct. Putting this on has meant stripping off all of the plasticard I had already added and then trying to remove the glue, that was a fun job!

I know what you mean about printed card v plasticard, Even at 2mm:1ft there seems to be more 'texture' with plasticard. However, I have seen some amazing modelling with printed card which does manage to give the impression of not being card. I have the same dilemma as I know that my buildings are more likely to look right using pre-printed textures.

Well done on the viaduct, anyway, it will make the stunning centrepiece that you are aiming for in this model.

Neil

Hi Kris - wanted to thank you for bringing back a childhood memory from the 19XXs (censored not an ST/PT). I grew up in Plymouth and used to ride the train into Cornwall as a kid sneaking away when my parents weren't watching. I used to stand by the Royal Albert Bridge and watch the trains cross into Cornwall and then over the viaduct in the distance.

Keep up the excellent modelling...

Best wishes, Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kris - wanted to thank you for bringing back a childhood memory from the 19XXs (censored not an ST/PT). I grew up in Plymouth and used to ride the train into Cornwall as a kid sneaking away when my parents weren't watching. I used to stand by the Royal Albert Bridge and watch the trains cross into Cornwall and then over the viaduct in the distance.

Keep up the excellent modelling...

Best wishes, Mark

Hopefully as it progresses the memories will keep on coming back Mark. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally I've managed to find a few hours to get a little more done on the layout, something that is much harder since it lost its previous home.

I have now added the second side to the viaduct, and have done more work on the protective walls at the top.

I've also found a little time to get the base framing for the western hillside complete.

Photos might get added later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick update with a few photos that didn't make it the other day. 

A little more of the landscaping mesh has been added and the bridge the takes Coombe road under the railway line is now in place. Next job will be to add the inserts into the bridge legs where they are arched, that promises to be a joyous job! 

post-163-0-80263600-1459868231_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-34959700-1459868264_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-68285500-1459868273_thumb.jpg

And one final picture that was taken the other day before the extra mesh and road bridge were added. 

post-163-0-73687700-1459868318_thumb.jpg

• Like 12