Welcome to my first attempt,at a model railway build.

This is the second section of the layout.

For those who are interested, please feel free to ask Q's and answer, also to post pics.

This is how the Town Yard looks today, (eastern end).

Picture 1. was taken from the land,above the Archcliffe signal box roof, in picture 2.

1.           9254387632_926d99b904_o.jpg

2.           Looking from,East to West..The "Yard"in the..........70's,80's to 1996, when closure,to place..................

9006441461_5e2f34eb5b_o.jpg

3.....West to East....Thepic is foreshortened by usinga zoom lense

..........NewImage2.jpg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 6

This is my model of Dover Town Yard, I've taken licence with it.

Due to space restrictions,the "yard" has been moved further west,

The head shunt has been extended beyond,Shakespeare Tunnel.

Archcliffe S/Box,has be omitted,along with Town/Military platform.

2.x 3-way points have been laid as space saver's,in loo of conventional ladder system.

I hope it is "passable", for those of you who have worked the area..

Date unknown,the Dover Town Yard,lower portion of the map.

1.                    post-13585-0-59583300-1377932197_thumb.jpg

2. The Dover Yard, model,left in the picture.   Looking West.

9209103987_703fa74d43_o.jpg

9160051041_df49303ecb_o.jpg

9160051481_c1efc46c62_o.jpg

The extended head shut,on the left, adjacent to Shakespeare Tunnel.

9096354564_62fb03c8b2_o.jpg
Edited by David Todd
  • Like 8

sandwich station  Posted Yesterday, 13:10

A few pics Dave, I think the only ones I have of Dover. The second might be of interest as it shows the head shunt (I know you have extended yours), how it used to be. 

Thanks,for your time and trouble to post those pics, I will make full use of them.

​I do like the 4-set approaching Hawkesbury Street Junction,,..........taken from the Western Heights ?

More pics. required of this area,if anyone has some please........ 

Edited by David Todd

Glad they can be of use to you 

sandwich station  Posted Yesterday, 13:10

​I do like the 4-set approaching Hawkesbury Street Junction,,..........taken from the Western Heights ?

Yes, :) in my 35mm days with a 70-210 zoom, also x2 converter making a 420mm lens, hand held. That's why the quality is not up to todays standard.

Dave,

Some more from the archive:

ADB 781479 Dover Town Yard EP

ADB 479731 ZGB Dover Town Yard

A couple of the experimental air braked wagons.  In Engineers use, but in my time at Dover used as mobile lamps holder; most ferry wagons did not have BR style lamp brackets and each train required an adaptor to fit the tail lamp.  At times there was a real famine and to enable the train to run a small wagon would be tacked on the rear.  Has anyone any pictures of such trains?

ZRA ADC 200815 Dover Town Yard

VJX Dover Town Yard

A couple of vans in Engineers use

• Like 1

Dave,

Some more from the archive:

A couple of the experimental air braked wagons.  In Engineers use, but in my time at Dover used as mobile lamps holder; most ferry wagons did not have BR style lamp brackets and each train required an adaptor to fit the tail lamp.  At times there was a real famine and to enable the train to run a small wagon would be tacked on the rear.  Has anyone any pictures of such trains?

A couple of vans in Engineers use

I didn't realise that was why the experimental air-brake conversions were to be found at Dover, Ernie..

One feature of Dover, up until the end of Speedlink, were VDAs with white-painted roofs (and one entirely white one, due to a painting error) on Rowntree traffic- these would be worked down as part of a Tyne Yard- Dringhouses- Dover Speedlink, then tripped to Paddock Wood with any Transfesa vans working to their terminal there, which was adjacent to the Rowntree one.

• Like 1

I didn't realise that was why the experimental air-brake conversions were to be found at Dover, Ernie..

One feature of Dover, up until the end of Speedlink, were VDAs with white-painted roofs (and one entirely white one, due to a painting error) on Rowntree traffic- these would be worked down as part of a Tyne Yard- Dringhouses- Dover Speedlink, then tripped to Paddock Wood with any Transfesa vans working to their terminal there, which was adjacent to the Rowntree one.

That is not the official reason.  They were meant to be used for moving spare parts etc.  A couple of 'ferry lowmacs" were used to go to and fro to Dunkerque.

The chocolate vans were occasionally detatched at Paddock Wood.  I remember dropping off at Paddock Wood when working a Willesden down to Dover in the 1980's

• RMweb Premium

That is not the official reason.  They were meant to be used for moving spare parts etc.  A couple of 'ferry lowmacs" were used to go to and fro to Dunkerque.

The chocolate vans were occasionally detatched at Paddock Wood.  I remember dropping off at Paddock Wood when working a Willesden down to Dover in the 1980's

Ernie / Brian,

IIRC the Rowntrees were detached off 6O38 Speedlink  at Paddock Wood, if they were over carried a hell broke loose as there was quite a financial penalty of the wagons were late. I happened once not long before you started with us, and they were on the way back up to PW within 15 minutes of arriving in the town yard.

The empties came down to Dover and went back north on 6E53 Dover - Tyne detaching at Dringhouses.

Simon

Ernie / Brian,

IIRC the Rowntrees were detached off 6O38 Speedlink  at Paddock Wood, if they were over carried a hell broke loose as there was quite a financial penalty of the wagons were late. I happened once not long before you started with us, and they were on the way back up to PW within 15 minutes of arriving in the town yard.

The empties came down to Dover and went back north on 6E53 Dover - Tyne detaching at Dringhouses.

Simon

Thanks for clarifying that, Simon; so 6O38 would have to run via Tonbridge? 

Ernie- I recollect that there were a couple of odd ex-VDAs (the ones rebuilt from VAAs) to be seen around the Yard at times; I also encountered these at Dunkerque. They were used for things like wagon-sheets, I believe.

The library yields more images:

A ballast hopper in the Town Yard, not sure why it's there.  I remember one day when a train came out of the Shakespeare Tunnel and it was clear that the wagons behind the loco weren't  on the consist, there was at least one hopper and a 100 tonne tank wagon loaded with petrol.  A 'Willesden Mis-shunt'

YGB DB982743 Dover Town Yard 1988

The next shot is a brand spanking new National Power Hopper, shunting had to be planned as the inners only had AAR couplers and the wagons were loaded in France from the other end of the boat.  The SNCF shunters could be a little obtuse at times.  the wagons went to Bulwark Siding for some preparatory work before heading north.

NP 19400 27 Nov 1993 Dover New Admiralty Sidings

A Ferry Open in Engineers service

ZGA ADB 715027 Dover Town Yard 1988

A cargowaggon Habfis2 van.  the type modelled by Heljan

todoI 338027977168 Dover Town Yard CNV00075

These two wagons didn't make it to the Town Yard as they were specially constructed for the Channel Tunnel works trains.  They were a mobile cement mixing plant.

Dover Admiralty Pier   Cement Mixing train For CT

Finally a couple of 33/2s waiting for the boat in the old Trainferry Yard after is had a brief resurrection

Dover Trainferry Dock Class 33's wait For The boat

• Like 2

Thanks for clarifying that, Simon; so 6O38 would have to run via Tonbridge? 

Ernie- I recollect that there were a couple of odd ex-VDAs (the ones rebuilt from VAAs) to be seen around the Yard at times; I also encountered these at Dunkerque. They were used for things like wagon-sheets, I believe.

Brian, 6O38 yes via Tonbridge. 

There were a few BR wagons that got to Dunkerque, including some ex Ferry CCT's and 2 axle runner wagons (protecting overhanging loads of steel)