Class"66" workbench-wagon projects.

Hi again

I was just looking at the many modern liveries there are on your layout, you seem to like your class 37s,  Your EWS look super as do your DRS, are those the limited edition Bachmann DRS locomotives from a few years back... I wish I never got rid of mine now, seeing your on here,

DS

Yer,i was lucky to buy these off frend who was selling up...

• Like 1

Yer realy getting the hang of spraying now.

How you finding that Ken....

Easy or harder than you expected Ken, I guess it's learning how to adjust how fast you want the paint to come out hey

Jamie

Hi

I have a fair lot of real coal from when I used to have an open fireplace its probably about 7 years old now and still in my out house..... I was wondering if Is it ok to use real coal and just smash it into littler pieces but make sure it small enough that it to scales and doesn't look out of place, perhaps putting it through a tea strainer or would that be to small for the scale required, help and your suggestions would be most welcome, shame to see coal go to waist as its just doing nothing. 

I have never come across 'Carrs Fine Coal' who makes it and where can you get it from and at what cost.

Jamie

Hi

I have a fair lot of real coal from when I used to have an open fireplace its probably about 7 years old now and still in my out house..... I was wondering if Is it ok to use real coal and just smash it into littler pieces but make sure it small enough that it to scales and doesn't look out of place, perhaps putting it through a tea strainer or would that be to small for the scale required, help and your suggestions would be most welcome, shame to see coal go to waist as its just doing nothing. 

I have never come across 'Carrs Fine Coal' who makes it and where can you get it from and at what cost.

Jamie

Im using Geo scenic fine coal.

The weathering is very nice indeed; however, to my eyes, the bulging sides and distortions to the top of the sides are overdone for this type of wagon.

Dents like that tended to be on wagons that were unloaded by grab or electromagnet, such as 16t minerals, or on higher-sided hoppers such as HAAs, where the loading shovel bucket might strike the top of the sides. Dogfish were relatively low-sided, and unloaded via the bottom, so wouldn't have suffered so much.

The weathering is very nice indeed; however, to my eyes, the bulging sides and distortions to the top of the sides are overdone for this type of wagon.

Dents like that tended to be on wagons that were unloaded by grab or electromagnet, such as 16t minerals, or on higher-sided hoppers such as HAAs, where the loading shovel bucket might strike the top of the sides. Dogfish were relatively low-sided, and unloaded via the bottom, so wouldn't have suffered so much.

I remember spotting few heavy damaged dogfish wagons few years back at Penmenmar on the North Wales coast,on stone loading siding.

Which is next to the A55...

But thanks for your imput Brian,wil take on board my mate.

cheers neil...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have to agree I like the look of the ballast wagons, My mind says ballast would surely not sit up on the edges like that, and yet I still think it looks brilliant. Would wet lime count as ballast? That is certainly sticky.

• Like 1

Erm....

Sounds like you have already experimented with that Jaz...

Give it ago Jaz, a person like you could always lift it up and start over again, if it looks wrong or not realistic, plus the comments on here of cause by the pro's....

Jamie

Have to agree I like the look of the ballast wagons, My mind says ballast would surely not sit up on the edges like that, and yet I still think it looks brilliant. Would wet lime count as ballast? That is certainly sticky.

Ive seen few ballast trucks down at Bescot yard,with ballast stuck rock hard to the sides :no: guess it depends on the grade of ballast,and weather conditions.

• Like 1