Essex Express

Being a big Woodhead fan I have always had a soft spot for the former GE 1500v DC lines. I remember visiting Stratford in early 1988 to experience the fledgling DLR service in operation and being astounded by the endless procession of Class 305, 309 and 86 hauled electric services through Stratford station. I think the Jaffa Cake livery suited the Class 309s best. I also recall the 309s operating in the NW of England in the mid-90s under the guise of RRNW with a green stripe which suited them well. It would be great if Bachmann brought out a model. I would definately make a purchase. Jim

Surely someone has to produce a 309 RTR one day soon at reasonable price especially in oo or N it would be nice to see some GEML EMU's available  :)

• RMweb Gold

Surely someone has to produce a 309 RTR one day soon at reasonable price especially in oo or N it would be nice to see some GEML EMU's available  :)

They bloody well better not... mutter mutter...

(I've spent hundreds of hours producing a pair of four car units from Bachmann mark1s)

Andi

• Like 1

Evening all, have uploaded a couple more! Ref the 31s (Brush Type 2s!) GrimleyGrid - not sure as I never kept much in the way of logs of train descriptions!!

Off topic, just uploading some snaps from the SVR Gala today - thanks to all at 'The Valley': the 280 mile round trip from Hampshire was well worth it!! As an 'Armchair Member' I love getting back up there and Bewdley Station always a delight,

Andy

post-3043-0-04916200-1379789319_thumb.jpg

post-3043-0-24766600-1379789339_thumb.jpg

It's not Essex, but I have some photo's of the 15.55 Yarmouth drag today which I did from Norwich to Yarmouth, 47802 giving a good account of itself too! Thoroughly enjoyed it. Here are the photo's, and I'd just like to apologise to those of you who are offended by the quality, they were only iPhone shots, the weather was poor and they look worse blown up on the Mac! They actually look respectable on the iPhone... I also have a few from a brief visit to Gidea Park and Woodgrange Park if anyone's interested.  

Links to the sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65427552@N03/sets/

If you can't be bothered to flick through, here's a few links to the best ones of today to save you the hassle:  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65427552@N03/9859928385/in/set-72157635732610765

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65427552@N03/9859933385/in/set-72157635732610765/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65427552@N03/9859924504/in/set-72157635732610765/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65427552@N03/9860040353/in/set-72157635732610765/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65427552@N03/9860045603/in/set-72157635732610765/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65427552@N03/9859973376/in/set-72157635732610765/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65427552@N03/9860072463/in/set-72157635732610765/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65427552@N03/9859989805/in/set-72157635732610765/

Enjoy!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andi

Oh dear at 2.39 there is a quick glimpse of a confused Fat Bald Bloke...who should have been at the Mid Essex show this weekend with Brisbane Road had he not been unwell.

And the sudden stop of the AM9s as they enter the tunnel could well be down to my operating skills on the day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful thread for an Essex boy! Many thanks to all those who have posted images and thoughts and helped revive memories.

Having lived by the coast since an early age I have fond memories of the 309's in particular, from there inception in the maroon livery up 'til withdrawal. It might just be nostalgia but I still believe they are one ot the most comfortable trains I've ridden on around the world. Trying to make sure you were in the right 'half' for the Clacton/Walton split at Thorpe-le-soken could sometimes be fun though........

A long term aim of mine is to make a set if I can, in 2mm scale. I've just completed a class 15 - so anything is possible! Probably be in the maroon, although I rode them most often in the '80's in the blue/grey.

My fondest memory however is sitting in one going up to town to a railway exhibition on a bank holiday monday, the weekend of the (infamous) Weeley Pop Festival, and passing the fields of people, tents, etc at Weeley. I'd been there until just a few hours before.... but the lure of model trains was strong even then.

Essex Express indeed!

Izzy

• Like 1

Here are a couple more from the 1980s in my '1980s E.R. Anglia' set on Flickr

post-7081-0-89799700-1379863879_thumb.jpg

After the morning rush a pair of class 302 units stand in the sunshine at Fenchurch Street, sets 264 and 270, 27/7/84

post-7081-0-92385900-1379863940_thumb.jpg

A view of Ripple Lane, 31312 and 31221 have charge of a tank train, the pilot is the final class 08, no. 08958 27/7/84

cheers 

• Like 3

Wonderful thread for an Essex boy! Many thanks to all those who have posted images and thoughts and helped revive memories.

Having lived by the coast since an early age I have fond memories of the 309's in particular, from there inception in the maroon livery up 'til withdrawal. It might just be nostalgia but I still believe they are one ot the most comfortable trains I've ridden on around the world. Trying to make sure you were in the right 'half' for the Clacton/Walton split at Thorpe-le-soken could sometimes be fun though........

A long term aim of mine is to make a set if I can, in 2mm scale. I've just completed a class 15 - so anything is possible! Probably be in the maroon, although I rode them most often in the '80's in the blue/grey.

My fondest memory however is sitting in one going up to town to a railway exhibition on a bank holiday monday, the weekend of the (infamous) Weeley Pop Festival, and passing the fields of people, tents, etc at Weeley. I'd been there until just a few hours before.... but the lure of model trains was strong even then.

Essex Express indeed!

Izzy

Hi Izzy, glad you like the thread! thanks for your memories, i remember the days well when they split at Thorpe le Soken, and was always excited as a nipper to feel them couple up on the way home from the "seaside!!" i bought some n gauge MkI's to make one myself about 7 years ago and i still havent gotten round to it!!!! maybe youurs will inspire me! Cheers for the input, Glenn

Last time I was on a splitter it was an all stations 12-car 360 split at Colchester Platform 1 with the Clacton portion (front 8-cars) leaving first via Colchester Town, and the Walton portion (back 4-cars) going direct. It was pot luck as to which portion got to Wivenhoe (and all the intermediate stations) first (usually the Walton presumably because the Clacton driver had an 8-car walk when reversing at Colchester Town) but to make sure you got the first bit there was the fast Clacton that got to Wivenhoe before both portions form Colchester Platform 2 leaving between the two parts. A rare opportunity to see the left (No1 position) feather lit on the platform 2 down starter. I have never seen the (No4 position) right feather lit. Now the old searchlight is preserved on the Epping and Ongar perhaps it might light more often!

Speaking of searchlights, here are some I photographed at Clacton. Probably the only three mechanical searchlights left in use on Network Rail.

post-7495-0-16006500-1379875379.jpg

The subsidiary discs are motorised, but there are some mechanical ground discs with pull cables, GPLs and a semaphore for good measure if you like variety and even a 3-lens colour light starter on platform 4. Something for everyone.

Edited by Suzie
  • Like 1

Last time I was on a splitter it was an all stations 12-car 360 split at Colchester Platform 1 with the Clacton portion (front 8-cars) leaving first via Colchester Town, and the Walton portion (back 4-cars) going direct. It was pot luck as to which portion got to Wivenhoe (and all the intermediate stations) first (usually the Walton presumably because the Clacton driver had an 8-car walk when reversing at Colchester Town) but to make sure you got the first bit there was the fast Clacton that got to Wivenhoe before both portions form Colchester Platform 2 leaving between the two parts. A rare opportunity to see the left (No1 position) feather lit on the platform 2 down starter. I have never seen the (No4 position) right feather lit. Now the old searchlight is preserved on the Epping and Ongar perhaps it might light more often!

Speaking of searchlights, here are some I photographed at Clacton. Probably the only three mechanical searchlights left in use on Network Rail.

attachicon.gifSNB15268 - Copy.JPG

The subsidiary discs are motorised, but there are some mechanical ground discs with pull cables, GPLs and a semaphore for good measure if you like variety and even a 3-lens colour light starter on platform 4. Something for everyone.

Cool, i must take a day off work and do that journey again soon, it may sound sad or odd but its one of my favorites!!!  :bye: