Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

But which Hall? The new Modified Hall looks like it will be much better than the previous offering, but what are we getting with the original Hall, that will appear in the Train Set only? Bachmann said it had cancelled the new version of that Hall, so will it be the older version with its poor haulage capabilities?

It's wait and see time Gents....... :scratchhead:  

Just a very thin coat of Precision green as close to the lining/transfers as I dare, varnished with Ronseal after applying extra lining to tender and splashers.

Mike Wiltshire

Lovely stuff Mike, did the brake rods come with the model, it being a RR version and all?

Best,

Rob

No just handrail wire soldered up to represent rods

Mike

Thanks for the amazingly fast response! I have bought one anyway and imagine I can use rods from other Hornby models and/or spares packs, or even try Peter's Spares.

I think the thing which swayed me was the video showing it off a few messages back, for all its shortcoming it is still to my eyes a very attractive model, and will make nice photos, and of course I like the price!

Cheers,

Rob

edit; here is the video, some good close-ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7La9zdGr9g

Just watched the 2TA Trains review of Hornby Rood Aston Hall. I see what Hornby are offering compared to the railroad versions as a rip off. Did see Bachmann version at model Rail Scotland, certainly looks much more detailed. Only thing is it is part of set including coaches and a bus. Would a certain Liverpool company do a deal and buy coaches and bus for their second hand range?!

• RMweb Premium

Would a certain Liverpool company do a deal and buy coaches and bus for their second hand range?!

You can but ask... but let us know as I was wondering about doing something similar for the Hornby Winston Churchill set.

Rails may of course save you the bother; they seem to split sets almost immediately.

Thanks to all contributors. After reading the various comments and watching the video review, I have just returned from my local model shop, Platform Models in Poole, with the railroad version R3170 Adderley Hall.

Fir £74 I am pleased as punch, my eyesight does not reveal the shortcomings of the slightly limited lining in an case. No visible evidence of moulding joins on my loco' s body either. I have a soft spot for the Hall as I received a Triang Albert Hall as part of my first layout as a child. Good to see its return to the range.

Hornby seem to have got themselves into a right muddle with this Railroad / Design Clever approach. There doesn't seem to be any consistency. Tornado, DoG and P2 with plastic buffers and without tender pickups, unless you get a TTS Sound version. Yet this Hall has tender pickups and metal buffers. Confused, oh yes.

• RMweb Premium

I think the Railroad version is an extremely good model for what it is and a real bargain, the issues arise with the full price variant where it is competing with the fine Bachmann alternative.

• RMweb Gold

I think the Railroad version is an extremely good model for what it is and a real bargain, the issues arise with the full price variant where it is competing with the fine Bachmann alternative.

A good point.Just how fine the Bachmann alternative is remains to be seen for the moment.

A good point.Just how fine the Bachmann alternative is remains to be seen for the moment.

The Bachmann thread shows it to have separate steam pipes and ejector pipe, wire handrails but half a moulded dart, so the Hornby full cream Hall hardly comes close in the detail stakes. Will be Interesting to see how the two mechanisms perform head to head.

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann thread shows it to have separate steam pipes and ejector pipe, wire handrails but half a moulded dart, so the Hornby full cream Hall hardly comes close in the detail stakes. Will be Interesting to see how the two mechanisms perform head to head.

And that is the crux of the matter. My Rood Ashton Hall is "in the works" for additional weight over the drivers and weathering to try to improve its cosmetic appearance...courtesy of Alex ( Lochnagar ) of this forum. The existing Bachmann Hall....2004 onwards...has a variable performance. ATM my 6937 is OK but 5960 is not.Both,however,are better than the new Hornby offering in terms of performance.The first release Grange,"Resolven Grange" (Hornby 2004) outperforms them all....in fact,just as the prototype did.

• RMweb Gold

And that is the crux of the matter. My Rood Ashton Hall is "in the works" for additional weight over the drivers and weathering to try to improve its cosmetic appearance...courtesy of Alex ( Lochnagar ) of this forum. The existing Bachmann Hall....2004 onwards...has a variable performance. ATM my 6937 is OK but 5960 is not.Both,however,are better than the new Hornby offering in terms of performance.The first release Grange,"Resolven Grange" (Hornby 2004) outperforms them all....in fact,just as the prototype did.

As far as I can remember the first Granges had a weight in the front half of the boiler (& smokebox) with a slot in it for a DCC chip, the later ones don't have that weight (Frankton Grange & Overton Grange)

• RMweb Gold

My Adderley Hall having crossed the Atlantic and North America in record speed is on the rolling road as I type.

Would appreciate some help with the tender livery:

Am I right in thinking a Hall with "Great Western" would probably not be around in 1947/8?

Assuming this is so I have a few options

[1] Remove the decals and replace with either G W (leaving the original coat of arms) or the very original " British Railways"

[2] I have a spare identical tender body (removed from a 28xx long story) with a Shirt button livery but unlined! The plus here of course is it has proper hand rails........I know tenders were swapped around but how likely is it that a lined loco would be paired with an unlined tender?

I rather suspect I may have answered my question and it is option 1 but I would appreciate opinions.

Regards from a very damp Vancouver

!947/8 you wouldn't find much with BRITISH RAILWAYS on it on the Western Region. Nationalisation was 1/48 but early Swindon repaints (first few months of 1948 often had nothing on the tender or BRITISH RAILWAYS in the GWR style shaded lettering (mainly on Castles/Kings, though some of the latter carried nothing at all). Probably GcrestW or shirtbutton if the loco had been repainted during those periods. Might be unlined if a wartime repaint. 

• RMweb Premium

It's the chalky green colour that put me off. I'm glad I waited now to see it in the flesh, would have been severely disappointed had I mail ordered it unseen

Very interested in your repainting of Olton Hall Chris. I think that's the route I'm going to go down. The only question I've got is how I replicate the brass splasher beading/lining. Is there a transfer for that? I think I've got everything else covered .

• RMweb Gold

It's the chalky green colour that put me off. I'm glad I waited now to see it in the flesh, would have been severely disappointed had I mail ordered it unseen

Very interested in your repainting of Olton Hall Chris. I think that's the route I'm going to go down. The only question I've got is how I replicate the brass splasher beading/lining. Is there a transfer for that? I think I've got everything else covered .

And you were right to question the shade in the first place.....as I should have been.Mea Culpa ! Let's now see if a silk purse etc....etc...

In the video it showed it had the power for long rakes, that's great, but how many of us have a layout for such. A short layout, steep inclines ideal, I agree about the colour also, it's just the price for a (Premium) model that it's not. Tex

• RMweb Gold

!947/8 you wouldn't find much with BRITISH RAILWAYS on it on the Western Region. Nationalisation was 1/48 but early Swindon repaints (first few months of 1948 often had nothing on the tender or BRITISH RAILWAYS in the GWR style shaded lettering (mainly on Castles/Kings, though some of the latter carried nothing at all). Probably GcrestW or shirtbutton if the loco had been repainted during those periods. Might be unlined if a wartime repaint. 

Hi Chris

Thank you so much for responding to my query.

It sounds as though it will be G crest W then. I am afraid I wasnt very clear in my reference to "British Railways"  ......I have Fox transfers in the GWR style lettering that you refer to.......and I was contemplating using them.  I hadnt realised that their usage was confined primarily to Castles and Kings.........I was thinking of using them on the Bachmann Modified Hall which is apparently not being released in GW livery. I may have to use local licence.....the critical glare is not too intense in Vancouver when it comes to GWR matters!

Regards

Just received my 4901 Adderley Hall and it looks good to me. Unedited photo, just cropped and sharpened. Nice straight running boards, details look clean, usual Hornby paint not helped by my Canon camera and my operation of it. Not bad for £72! ..and I see for even less at Hattons a couple of days ago.

post-7929-0-84396900-1426563062_thumb.jpg

Rob

I'll show it off sharper with zone-focussing and various editing in due course in threads where that is permitted. For those interested camera is Canon EOS-M with adaptor mount and Canon EF 50mm macro lens, f29 at 6 secs., 80% daylight 20% tungsten, auto colour, 1SO 100.

"That I would purchase", have'nt see one in the flesh here in Taz as yet. Maybe they got all the name plates mixed up on the first run of production and thought nobody would notice? EHattons, 67 pounds = approx. AU$135+ptg & hdl 20pounds, still a better looking loco for almost half the price, swmbob would be most pleased. Tex.

Archived