Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

• RMweb Premium

The new issue of Hornby Magazine reviews the Tyseley Connection Pitchford Hall. Looking at pics, the cab interior has a silver regulator and painted wooden seats but is Identical to Olton Halls can in all other respects. Pitchford does come with fitted brake gear though, so hopefully this will be available as a spare soon.

Based on pictures on the Rails website, I'm pretty disappointed to find that Rood Ashton Hall has a moulded smokebox door dart and moulded rear tender handrails as per the Railroad version. £105 is a lot of money when, as I've reiterated elsewhere, you can still pick up the superior Bachmann Hall for under a ton if you know where to look. 

I've no issue at all with this spec for the Railroad range - it suits and it is made clear that the product is in no way 'full-fat', but if this is the full-fat premium range version I'd be steering well clear! 

I'm very tempted by the 'split from set' Star however, which Rails have listed for 50p under a ton. Moulded cabside handrails aside, it is a superb model! 

CoY

Based on pictures on the Rails website, I'm pretty disappointed to find that Rood Ashton Hall has a moulded smokebox door dart and moulded rear tender handrails as per the Railroad version. 

CoY

I'm sorry but did you just find out?? Hornby have never advertised that "Rood Ashton Hall" would ever come fitted with a separate smokebox dart or wire handrails on the tender. It was very much common knowledge when Hornby uploaded images of the Hall on facebook over a year ago. Even if you had missed that (which was covered in this topic) the fact that the Hall came from "design-clever" times obviously meant it would have moulded detail where ever possible and the livery was more enhanced. So why the disappointment now?

I'm sorry but did you just find out?? Hornby have never advertised that "Rood Ashton Hall" would ever come fitted with a separate smokebox dart or wire handrails on the tender. It was very much common knowledge when Hornby uploaded images of the Hall on facebook over a year ago. Even if you had missed that (which was covered in this topic) the fact that the Hall came from "design-clever" times obviously meant it would have moulded detail where ever possible and the livery was more enhanced. So why the disappointment now?

Disappointing in the sense that what are you getting for £30 more of your hard-earned, over and above the Railroad version? Some painted cab detail and slightly finer loco and tender lining? I must have missed the development images posted last year, and so for that I apologise; but over £100 for a loco with a moulded smokebox dart - the most immediately visible and characterful part of the loco, imo - is rather cheeky in my opinion. Who is the target market for this loco? Too expensive for the young modellers that Railroad caters for, and not refined enough for many of the more discerning modellers: especially when the decade-old Bachmann Hall has more finesse - again, in my opinion. To me, it's a pig in a poke.

Still, just my opinion, and if it sells by the bucket load, I'll be happy to tuck into lashings of humble pie!

CoY

Disappointing in the sense that what are you getting for £30 more of your hard-earned, over and above the Railroad version? Some painted cab detail and slightly finer loco and tender lining? I must have missed the development images posted last year, and so for that I apologise; but over £100 for a loco with a moulded smokebox dart - the most immediately visible and characterful part of the loco, imo - is rather cheeky in my opinion. Who is the target market for this loco? Too expensive for the young modellers that Railroad caters for, and not refined enough for many of the more discerning modellers: especially when the decade-old Bachmann Hall has more finesse - again, in my opinion. To me, it's a pig in a poke.

Still, just my opinion, and if it sells by the bucket load, I'll be happy to tuck into lashings of humble pie!

CoY

It shouldn't really be a surprise that the 'Hall' doesn't provide much extra for £30 extra in price, given that a large part of that £30 will be mark-up etc and the factory floor cost of the extras probably about a tenner. I'm just working on turning an Olton Hall, which cost me under £80, into a BR era Hall and I've spent over £60 on paint, transfers, etched plates, handrail knobs and wire. Plastic tube for smokebox pipes, and a brass smokebox door handle would have added at least another fiver but I didn't bother. I am, of course, not adding my labour cost to that. I have old Replica and Bachmann Halls but I reckon my Hornby revamp will look as good - oh, and it runs way better.

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby newly tooled Railroad models do seem to be beautiful runners, I've been very surprised in a nice way with the Railroad A1 running qualities and despite a lot of adverse comment the three pole motor with flywheel seems to give superb smooth and quiet running.

On the Hall, it really does look very good to me. If Hornby did it as a proper full fat model it would be better but in all honesty it looks more than acceptable to me. Yes the solid steam pipe is not what I'd like but I think that at normal viewing distances on a layout this will be a lot less troubling than when putting the model under the microscope.

Good to see they're now glazing these models, I really found it baffling that on the A1 even the Railroad version is very nicely finished with a decent level of detail but then they decided to abandon glazing, I found that very odd/

At the SRP this is a proper bargain. The main range one still looks to be a good model at a good price if considering SRP as opposed to comparing SRP with discounted prices. Whilst this may not be an opinion shared by some I honestly hope that Hornby continue to produce these new generation Railroad models as a complement to their full fat releases as by making good, no frills models like this available at such a good price I think they're providing a valuable product.

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby newly tooled Railroad models do seem to be beautiful runners, I've been very surprised in a nice way with the Railroad A1 running qualities and despite a lot of adverse comment the three pole motor with flywheel seems to give superb smooth and quiet running.

On the Hall, it really does look very good to me. If Hornby did it as a proper full fat model it would be better but in all honesty it looks more than acceptable to me. Yes the solid steam pipe is not what I'd like but I think that at normal viewing distances on a layout this will be a lot less troubling than when putting the model under the microscope.

Good to see they're now glazing these models, I really found it baffling that on the A1 even the Railroad version is very nicely finished with a decent level of detail but then they decided to abandon glazing, I found that very odd/

At the SRP this is a proper bargain. The main range one still looks to be a good model at a good price if considering SRP as opposed to comparing SRP with discounted prices. Whilst this may not be an opinion shared by some I honestly hope that Hornby continue to produce these new generation Railroad models as a complement to their full fat releases as by making good, no frills models like this available at such a good price I think they're providing a valuable product.

Agreed.

Hopefully if Hornby got all the tooling back from SK, we could well see the high spec tenders making an appearance behind the Hall's on future releases.

• RMweb Gold

The fact that the new Railroad models run beautifully should be no surprise to anyone who has an A4 version or even a Duke of Gloucester . The 3 pole performance is very good indeed. .The Bachmann Hall is also a 3 pole job but its performance leaves much to be desired. I am totally confident that Hornby's new Hall will be significantly superior in that respect.

• RMweb Gold

The fact that the new Railroad models run beautifully should be no surprise to anyone who has an A4 version or even a Duke of Gloucester . The 3 pole performance is very good indeed. .The Bachmann Hall is also a 3 pole job but its performance leaves much to be desired. I am totally confident that Hornby's new Hall will be significantly superior in that respect.

A 3 pole can be equally as good as 5 pole motor, it's down to how they are manufactured. Railroad models should and do run as well (in some cases better) as their more expensive and more detailed cousins. The Hall (from what I've seen) certainly does that, 'ready to plonk' (on the track) as was coined on this thread.

I have replaced the steampipes on my model. It isn't especially difficult but I'm really not sure it makes a huge difference. One of those jobs that's worth doing if it bothers you. Small pieces of 1/8in diameter plastic tube will do the job nicely. I didn't have any in stock, so I used a wooden meat skewer! I haven't replaced the ejector or the pipework below it because they seem less obvious when painted green and the ejector would be a pain to alter. There are 'issues' - the boiler/cab and running plate are difficult to separate at the rear end and need to be cut, and if you are changing the name, the front of the splasher is part of the nameplate. Had I realised earlier, I would have replaced the moulded cab window handrail with the correct L-shaped version but it's too late now. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

I have replaced the steampipes on my model. It isn't especially difficult but I'm really not sure it makes a huge difference. One of those jobs that's worth doing if it bothers you. Small pieces of 1/8in diameter plastic tube will do the job nicely. I didn't have any in stock, so I used a wooden meat skewer! I haven't replaced the ejector or the pipework below it because they seem less obvious when painted green and the ejector would be a pain to alter. There are 'issues' - the boiler/cab and running plate are difficult to separate at the rear end and need to be cut, and if you are changing the name, the front of the splasher is part of the nameplate. Had I realised earlier, I would have replaced the moulded cab window handrail with the correct L-shaped version but it's too late now. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Can we expect an account of your work on the Hall in MR?

CoY

Clearly I am am a target as I have two on order (with four more for my distance friends). As for price, this is a new 2015 priced loco. The Bachmann modified Hall as of today is listed at £119.95 and as for the eventual re-introduction of Bachmann's Hall, who knows how much more that will be, so one would expect the extras you mention? As I find with many Bachmann locos, The Bachmann Hall is very pretty, though not correct, is not a great runner, and has very limited haulage capacity which resulted in both mine being long sold on. I can put you in touch with a fellow GWR modeller, more than happy to let his Bachmann Hall go, if you prefer their version. Based on the running qualities of other Hornby models I do not expect to be disappointed. Yes I will add handrails to the tender, not sure about smokebox dart (many of my kit locos do not have them and no one seams to notice), the steam pipes are very close to the smoke on the original Halls (unlike Bachmann using larger modified Hall steam pipes on original Halls) and there is very little daylight to be seen so may not bother. In all it comes over as excellent value for money with current prices in mine and others opinions.

As it is now half term, Wiltshire minor is asking to replace the Bachmann Harry Potter Hall as it is a total brick running wise, all the fine pipework has broken off - really useful with younguns as the target customer, and all I have to do is switch tender bodies and headboard. I may well be pursuaded!

Mike Wiltshire

I remember being well pleased with the Railroad 'Duke' as regards running qualities. It was the only one of my locos to perform like a diesel, no doubt due to the heavy flywheel. Judging by the photos posted on here, the 'Hall' has been well captured and that is the main thing (for me at any rate). Modellers have been detailing RTR for years and it is always better when the basic model is worth detailing.

As it is now half term, Wiltshire minor is asking to replace the Bachmann Harry Potter Hall as it is a total brick running wise, all the fine pipework has broken off - really useful with younguns as the target customer, and all I have to do is switch tender bodies and headboard. I may well be pursuaded!

You'll need Hogwarts Castle nameplates too.

Can we expect an account of your work on the Hall in MR?

I've offered it to the Editor but I'm still working on the model. A lot depends on whether my painting and finishing will stand up to scrutiny in the photographic studio and if I think it doesn't, I'll withdraw the offer. 

CHRIS LEIGH

A 3 pole can be equally as good as 5 pole motor, it's down to how they are manufactured. Railroad models should and do run as well (in some cases better) as their more expensive and more detailed cousins. The Hall (from what I've seen) certainly does that, 'ready to plonk' (on the track) as was coined on this thread.

Simon K told us ages ago, at one of the much derided (on RMweb) Broadstairs press days, that Hornby was switching to three-pole motors, and it was reported in the press at the time. If I remember correctly, he said that Hornby's experiments showed that five-pole motors offered no advantages in smooth running, over a good three-pole with a flywheel, and that five-poles were considerably more expensive to manufacture.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

Simon K told us ages ago, at one of the much derided (on RMweb) Broadstairs press days, that Hornby was switching to three-pole motors, and it was reported in the press at the time. If I remember correctly, he said that Hornby's experiments showed that five-pole motors offered no advantages in smooth running, over a good three-pole with a flywheel, and that five-poles were considerably more expensive to manufacture.

CHRIS LEIGH

It wasn't the press meeting that was derided , just the ridiculous press embargo after, which was usually broken, often by Model Rail! Much better releasing information directly to the market, avoids these shenanigans.

Simon Kohler did state that they were moving to 3 pole motors . I think at the time they were quoted as £20 cheaper. If I'm correct it was part of the"design clever" initiative which has since been reversed by Hornby. Indeed the now arriving J15 has a 5 pole motor . Unfortunately the Hall , although also only arriving now, was announced a year earlier and designed in the "design clever"era which is why it has moulded smoke box darts . Still you would have thought that as the new 42xx has separate darts , Hornby could have made the effort with the Hall.

I'm waiting to see the model before committing. But for me Im more interested in whether Hornby have an acceptable colour of BR green. The catalogue illustrations look a bit dull to me reminiscent of the waxy green finish of the late 70s. If I'm forking out an extra £40 I want to know it's not in need of a repaint, otherwise Olton Hall will do just as well

• RMweb Gold

I've offered it to the Editor but I'm still working on the model. A lot depends on whether my painting and finishing will stand up to scrutiny in the photographic studio and if I think it doesn't, I'll withdraw the offer. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Chris - please let us see the end result of your work. We can't all be George Dent and too many are put off from trying the most simple of enhancements for fear of the results.

Chris - please let us see the end result of your work. We can't all be George Dent and too many are put off from trying the most simple of enhancements for fear of the results.

I'm finishing it this morning and I'm fairly pleased with it. There are definite 'pluses' to doing it yourself even if the results aren't a factory finish. Aside from the satisfaction, I have a nice shade of (Railmatch) BR green that I won't argue with, I retained the Hornby lining which is much finer than transfers, and I've removed the 'design clever' features that I didn't like and left those that don't bother me. For my money, four new handrails on the tender rear make the world of difference, and you could do those without even repainting the model. If I don't do an article, I'll put a picture in 'Backscene' at least.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived