pitbull1845

• RMweb Gold

You could do worse than Glasgow Queen St as its a compact terminus and train t was a lengths limited by site/platforms etc. Though (possibly for those reasons) there are several renditions planned/under construction - you could have west highland trains and Dmu's ?

Or you could go a step further and 'retain' one of the abandoned termini in Glasgow, maybe to ease pressure on Queen St. (that was a well written up problem in the 80's and led to some Glas- Edinburgh) been sent via Carstairs into Central.

Sure you could 'imagineer' a terminus that just dealt with WHL trains and a certain number of DMU served places as of course many of the suburban lines are electrified.??

Another possibility would be a branch to the West via Invergarry and Loch Quoich built to serve a fictions military base in WW1 and subsequently turned into a major munitions storage base as it's remote. Bringing more traffic in and having a decent sized community built up around the railway would justify a larger station and keep the Great Glen theme. Mountains make for a good reason to have a long narrow site ;)

It's like you've seen the notes for the layout i'm trying to build! So much traffic they've electrified it! Invergarry's a bit like Carstairs don't you think! :O

Evening,

The train now arriving at Platform 1 is......

post-6849-0-82682300-1382629879.jpg

47617 see with the ECS Highland line stock heading for Fort Augustus. Where the stock will be cleaned ready for the next trip.

Really pleased with the coaching stock and got them for a good price compared to some prices on Ebay....

Cheers

Scott  

Morning, up early today feeding baby pitbull, then its the school run for one (the others have broken up already, much to the annoyance of their sister) 

Plan today is to pay a visit to B&Q and try and sort out a station platform, now that I have some coaching stock. I've got the weekend off work so hopefully I'll make some progress. My back copy of Rail Express with Airthrey Park in it arrived the other day so that should help with the inspiration.

Should have a new depot building arrive today also, I managed to sneak the 47 and Highland stock past security yesterday, so I'm not too bothered if Mrs P answers the door to the postie today.

Have a good day and apologies for my morning ramblings, it was this or talk to a grumpy teenager!

Hi Scott

Very sneaky with the parcel sleight of hand. Unfortunately Mrs Beresford or should it be Mrs Junction has taken to checking out my latest additions via RMWeb :O

Station platform eh? - now I'm sure I've seen a Terminus with a bay platform somewere before.

Sounds like its going to be bad weather over the weekend - perfect for a bit of modelling.

Phil

Morning,

The engine shed arrived this morning, completely smashed up.  Very annoyed at the moment. I'm now in the process of trying to get my money back. Lets see how good the Ebay resolution centre is.  

On a separate note, I'm still playing about with the track plan and think I'm almost there... I keep telling myself less is more..

Wires, now there's a thought!    

Do it mate, the modelling scene needs more AC action. I despair at the fact the Ac scene from the RTR manufacturers is so poorly represented. The more modelling it the better!

Lots of scope for kit bashing ScR EMUs together also.

John

• 5 weeks later...

Evening,

Thought I'd a quick update, although there's not really a lot to update on.. 

I think I'm getting there with the track plan, part of it is pinned down now, once I finish off the station platform I'll be able to do the rest.

Here's a track plan of the proposed layout, it's changed slightly in the fact there is no adjoining branch line visible. I've decided this will be off scene. 

post-6849-0-35174000-1385506239.jpg

So we have the single track approach that splits, go right for platform 1, the two sidings and the small depot. 

Straight on for platform 2 and the run round, the sort of kick back siding with the brown line next to it is going to be a loading area for timber traffic and ballast for the engineers.

No photos really of progress, I did take some but its just track on plain baseboards, not very interesting.

Here's one of the shed building that got smashed during delivery, I decided to rebuild it and it came out ok.

post-6849-0-06054800-1385506958.jpg

That's it for now.

Just found this thread as well. Looking good Scott. A Scottish layout with large logo tractors and baby Sulzers is always going to be a winner. Also the 90s period will be good as well for the variations in liveries. I take it thats 37427 lurking in the shed on the right hand side. Very nice. Will now be following with interest.

Marcus.

You could do worse than Glasgow Queen St as its a compact terminus and train t was a lengths limited by site/platforms etc. Though (possibly for those reasons) there are several renditions planned/under construction - you could have west highland trains and Dmu's ?

Or you could go a step further and 'retain' one of the abandoned termini in Glasgow, maybe to ease pressure on Queen St. (that was a well written up problem in the 80's and led to some Glas- Edinburgh) been sent via Carstairs into Central.

Sure you could 'imagineer' a terminus that just dealt with WHL trains and a certain number of DMU served places as of course many of the suburban lines are electrified.??

Hi Pitbull, I don't know if you have seen it but there is a GQSt based layout in Classifieds at the moment. Overall length seems to be 15 feet with width of between 6-8 feet. Might be difficult getting that past "Security" though.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pitbull, I don't know if you have seen it but there is a GQSt based layout in Classifieds at the moment. Overall length seems to be 15 feet with width of between 6-8 feet. Might be difficult getting that past "Security" though.

Jim

Oh don't worry he's seen it and considered it!

Hi chaps,

welcome to those who have just found this thread, its still in the early stages as you can see but I'm getting there slowly. I've just laid a bit more track tonight but need a visit to the model shop before I can progress any further.

Marcus the plan will be to have the late 80's, mid 90's and even current scene once the layout is done and I can afford the stock.

Jim, as Ian has said I did look at GQS but I don't think it will be in my price region and to be honest I wouldn't know what to offer. I do have the room though! 

No new pictures as there's nothing interesting to report on.  

I'll keep you posted..

Evening,

Thanks for the comments and congratulations, as expected no work on the layout, so my rock faces will have to wait. Back to work tomorrow too, so it's going to be a while before I can get anything done.

Bill, thanks for the images and tips, just what I'm hoping to achieve.

Like I say, no progress on the layout but I do have a new member of the fleet. My only concern is that the BR Arrows seem overly large?? I've had a quick look on flickr and cant seem to find a picture of 025 and massive arrows..

attachicon.gifDSCF0494.JPG

Here's a comparison shot with 408. The 26 wanted to make another appearance too...

attachicon.gifDSCF0495.JPG

I'll continue to look for an image but otherwise it may be out with the T-cut and cotton buds!

Edit~~ It would help if I researched the right number, 025 and not 035!  I'm thinking that this livery was a repaint of the large logo livery quite a few years after, like  a celebrity type paint job. Most of the images for my time 88-90 have a smaller logo, then it goes engineers colours and then it would appear to go back into large logo. I'll keep looking into it, sorry for waffling on! 

Edit Again- Looks like this livery is current for 1994 onwards. might see if I can find a suitable loco to change it into, and replace the logos...  More research!

This might help - taken in the paintshop at IS TMD when named "Inverness TMD" prior to release into traffic. Yes the arrow is a rather odd shape, but the model reflects this  !

Some nice work on the layout

HTH

Ken

post-2215-0-64063500-1386019812_thumb.jpg

The arrow on '025 is actually a "Duff" sized arrow for some reason. The preserved '025 now carries exactly the same livery/nameplates but with a normal 37' sized arrow of indecision, and very smart she looks too. Incidentally, last month her steam heat boiler was flashed up for the first time in almost 30 years!

The arrow on '025 is actually a "Duff" sized arrow for some reason. The preserved '025 now carries exactly the same livery/nameplates but with a normal 37' sized arrow of indecision, and very smart she looks too. Incidentally, last month her steam heat boiler was flashed up for the first time in almost 30 years!

It may well have been a "Duff" sized arrow, but the proportions of the parts and alignment etc looked very odd, unlike a standard "Duff" L/L arrow, perhaps it was a "near clocking off time job"   :yes:

It may well have been a "Duff" sized arrow, but the proportions of the parts and alignment etc looked very odd, unlike a standard "Duff" L/L arrow, perhaps it was a "near clocking off time job"   :yes:

It probably looked better in the pub/planning stage than in the result! I can only hypothesise that there were no L/L 37's kicking around Inverness at the time from which to take inspiration, so they just painted what they 'thought' was right!

Dear all

I am enjoying reading this thread and look forward to seeing the layout develop but please excuse my ignorance but were not the double arrows added as stickers and hence how did they end up with a duff sized one surely they were all the same size and if for some reason a bit got cut off they would have used another one. Or have they painted it on and got the proportions wrong.

regards

David

Archived