Caledonian engines from RTR loco's, a few ideas to consider

Read this before thinking about a DJH Jumbo - http://maxstaffordskennel.com/2013/10/27/probably-the-worst-kit-in-the-world/

-(and the comments) I built one onto a pannier chassis, which is a hideous compromise, but am taken with the thought of the Bachmann 0-6-0. This, coupled with the unbuilt kit I have might give a better looker, and runner- the existing one manages to short frequently and is at present in the works awaiting attention. The Barney is an easier option as the pannier chassis is a better fit, although a bit lean on wheel diameter, but it sits a good bit lower than the 812, and getting the motor to fit involved quite a bit of clearance.

Interesting link - food for thought me thinks, thanks

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Andy. Here's a link to another forum that you might find interesting to a chap who's done the Killin pug conversion

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29318

and the only contact information I have but it might help, Regards Steve

http://www.lanechoice.com/rail/catalogs/DeanSidingsSpring2012.doc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking at the up and coming releases from Hornby I see they plan to bring out a LSWR 700 class 0-6-0 (Black motor) and also a Great Eastern J15 0-6-0 then there’s Bachmann with there 3F, 4F, C class and now J11 how much longer must we wait for a true Scottish pre grouping 0-6-0 like a Jumbo or a Barney its beginning to look like a real snub now (maybe it’s a Scottish independents thing?). Thinking as I do about using RTR locos for conversions I thought the 700 class might be a good candidate being a Drummond design and sharing a lot of looks with the Caledonian Jumbo’s when first built but looking at the pre production bucks on the Hornby link they have gone for the 1930s superheated version which had a longer smoke box and a higher pitched boiler which looks just too “wrong” for a simple conversion to the jumbo but all is not lost as with the smoke box cut back it makes it a good match for the Caley 812 class, even the tender would be an easy conversion who knows they might produce an early body version in the future at some time after all Hornby did the T9 4-4-0 with the two body/splasher styles.

Looking at the J15 that looks a lot more promising at first glances with many of the major engine dimensions coming out at either a scale 1mm or less difference from the Jumbo, most of the difference in length being in the tender which doesn’t have a very Scottish look and is way to short, the loco’s not perfect though either and two major changes I can see would be moving the dome much further back and some major reshaping of the cab length and profile other wise its quite a close copy to the jumbo right down to the sand boxes over the front splashers. Oh and swapping it from right to left hand drive. As always the major factor to consider will be the cost of a newly introduced RTR model which will say high for the foreseeable future so still we must wait.

For an idea of how close they are here’s a couple of line plans showing first the Jumbo and second the J15

post-17847-0-18128800-1393698287.jpg

post-17847-0-51007900-1393698300_thumb.jpg

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 6

• 7 months later...

I've not updated this thread for quite some time but it doesn't mean the old gray cells haven't been being exercised (Actually with a major house decorating going on that;s about all that's been exercised)

Any way there have been a few development and changes which have meant I can revise the list. One of the biggest is the imminent arrival of the GBL T9 which opens the scope for some interesting conversions and being all plastic as opposed to the Hornby's metal boiler will make it easier to shorten the body down to give a greater range of possible conversions. 

As well as a host of 4-4-0 the bodies offer the scope for some more ambitious conversions, How about two GBL T9 bodies cut and shut with a new boiler made from a larger diameter piece of tube to make the Caledonian railway Cardean 4-6-0. The chimney, dome, safety valves. smoke box doors and valve chest cover are available in brass as extras from Caley coaches, this could be sat on a Hornby B12 chassis with out any alterations as the wheel size is just about spot on for Cardean even the water cart tender could be mounted on a couple of four wheel bogies off ebay with false side frames could soon be made to look like the Caley bogie tender.

Back to the 4-4-0s and I'm working on a few ideas that could provide a cheap and fairly easy conversion of a cheap and ready available RTR chassis which would give scope for changing the wheel base to suit a wider range of 4-4-0 conversions (A few of you know about my progress in this but I want to make sure its viable before I post up the results)

• Like 3

Cheers mate don't worry there's already an unrebuilt Manson 240 class on the books for the future this will require much shortening of a wide cab T9 body (already got) and the chassis of choice (also already got but more of this in due coarse)  The general idea being the Hornby running plate and cab with a GBL plastic boiler (left over from the Cardean conversion and easier to shorten than the Hornby metal one) but looking at the plans the 240 is not only shorter overall but the bogie and drivers wheel base are considerable shorter than the T9 so the chassis will need a fair bit of work. The GBL T9 water cart tender might make a good starting point for one of the two G&SWR 8 wheel tender that moved around the class over there life if one wanted to fit this instead of the standard 6 wheel ones.

Here's a picture to wet your apatite

post-17847-0-05991300-1415012409.jpg

Manson 240 class after the grouping as LMS No.14258 former G&SWR No.247 with 6 wheel tender and without its chimney lip and the cab hand rails modified slightly but other wise pretty much unchanged from when built

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Interesting link - food for thought me thinks, thanks

Hi Folks, Sorry to dredge this up from such a long time ago. I recently bought a DJH Jumbo kit from a guy who was obviously selling off unbuilt kits that others could use better than he. I found it quite reasonable to assemble, certainly easier than my BEC 700 conversion. On the engine, apart from the splashers being too narrow, the only real black mark I found was the cab. The side shape seems to have been squashed below the waist and elongated above. I made some new ones out of brass. On the original all white-metal cab, the roof sat up there like a fascinator at a wedding. Once I'd made the cab sides, for which the Crassoc drawing was essential, I filed the edge of the roof down and it fitted fine. The tender was another matter, though. Three hands and a degree in juggling seem to be essential but it did all fit together eventually, and filler helped! Maybe I haven't any experience of really good loco kits yet so am easily pleased! Best wishes, Graham

• Like 2

Would be nice to see some photos Graham especally of the build process if you took any.

Steve

Here it is but I am shocked by the imperfections shown in the photo! It still needs final finishing and painting but, now I've seen the bumps, more wet and dry will be employed! The chimney is straight - it's a close-up photo issue. I think the cab sides have been a reasonable modification. Best wishes, Graham

post-26978-0-56953100-1531838892_thumb.jpg

• Like 3