DCC sound decoders for US diesels

Alcanman

And the airhorns?? ;)

Now I need to work out whether to be brave & try a 1.1amp one, or spend an absolute fortune on an O scale-plus mega 4amp one.

I'm in O, but for crawling about on shunty-planks, I've got away with an HO Tsunami in an Atlas SW1200. The other Tsunami is a "boosted" 3amp version from the USA, fitted in a Weaver loco (single motor) & the QSI was factory-fitted in an AtlasO twin-motor loco, but checking with the Powercab neither of them have gone over 0.75amps at low/medium speeds.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
F-UnitMad, on 19 Oct 2014 - 22:20, said:

And the airhorns?? ;)

Now I need to work out whether to be brave & try a 1.1amp one, or spend an absolute fortune on an O scale-plus mega 4amp one.

I'm in O, but for crawling about on shunty-planks, I've got away with an HO Tsunami in an Atlas SW1200. The other Tsunami is a "boosted" 3amp version from the USA, fitted in a Weaver loco (single motor) & the QSI was factory-fitted in an AtlasO twin-motor loco, but checking with the Powercab neither of them have gone over 0.75amps at low/medium speeds.

The horns are certainly on a par with QSI Jordan, Oh yeah, I forgot you do 0 scale, could be expensive :O

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a Digitrax SDN144A1 to go in my N scale Atlas SD50 - it might not be the best sound quality, but in N scale quality sound that doesn't come out tinny costs serious money, and this seemed like a reasonable alternative.

It will give me time to mess around with a sound fitted loco whilst I wait for my two Intermountain Loksound fitted SD40-2's to turn up in March. :)

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I hope this is the place to ask a few questions about the MRC-1644 SD70 sound decoder. Firstly, can anyone comment on how good it sounds and also how much modification to the shell you have to do? I've never installed a sound decoder so I'm hoping it wouldn't be much hastle.

Thanks in advance,

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
GWR88, on 28 Dec 2014 - 15:01, said:GWR88, on 28 Dec 2014 - 15:01, said:

Hello all,

I hope this is the place to ask a few questions about the MRC-1644 SD70 sound decoder. Firstly, can anyone comment on how good it sounds and also how much modification to the shell you have to do? I've never installed a sound decoder so I'm hoping it wouldn't be much hastle.

Thanks in advance,

Lloyd

Sorry bud, but MRC sound decoders are BAD!! Even a Tsunami "sound value" decoder sounds better than an MRC.

I'd never touch another MRC decoder with a barge pole after an SD60 I had once. The motor control is also terrible.

Save a little more £ and get yourself a Loksound V4 or if you don't want to stretch to that, get a Soundtraxx Tsunami.

On the model, what SD70 is it? Is it an Athearn Genesis model? SD70M or SD70ACE? You shouldn't need to modify the shell but depending on what model it is, you may have to modify the

frame weight to fit the speaker.

Edited by Gary H

I'd be more inclined to use a Digitrax SDN144K1E decoder. http://www.digitrax.com/products/sound-decoders/sdn144k1e/

You will need to make room in the fuel tank for the speaker (installation instructions here http://www.digitrax.com/static/apps/products/sound-decoders/sdn144k1e/documents/SDN144K1E.pdf )

It comes with an SD40-2 and a GEVO sound project, but an SD70MAC project is available - you will need a PR2 or a PR3 to program it http://www.digitrax.com/products/computer-control/ note that the PR3 is both more capable and cheaper.

As far as I can tell the MRC decoder doesn't need frame modification http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=12281 I'm not certain, but there may be enough room to mount the Digitrax speaker in the same way the MRC speaker is mounted in an SD70, so it may be possible to get away with no frame modification for it too at the expense ao a good speaker baffle.

Note that the MRC decoder lists at $110, while the Digitrax one lists at $70. A PR3 is $86 and the sound projects are free to download. As well as being the Soundloader interface, a PR3 can also be used as a JMRI interface device.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

Thanks adrian for the advice but i was hoping more for a direct drop in instead of programming as i wanted an easy loco to start on. I know sd40-2s and sd70macs have differant engines (one being a 645 while the other a 710) but would the sd40-2 sound be passable for an sd70mac? Or would the GEVO engine be passable?

Sorry for all the questions!

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
GWR88, on 28 Dec 2014 - 22:56, said:

Thanks adrian for the advice but i was hoping more for a direct drop in instead of programming as i wanted an easy loco to start on. I know sd40-2s and sd70macs have differant engines (one being a 645 while the other a 710) but would the sd40-2 sound be passable for an sd70mac? Or would the GEVO engine be passable?

Sorry for all the questions!

Lloyd

If you had to use anything other than an SD70 sound file for an SD70 model, you'd be better off using the SD40-2 seeing as though its also a 2 stroke EMD primemover  whereas the GEVO is a four stroke  GE engine and the difference is like night and day where prime mover sounds are concerned.

You could do a lot worse than having a look around You Tube for examples of these sounds on model locomotives as its a good resource for informative on what is available out there.

Bare in mind though, its trickier fitting sound in an N gauge model than what it is in H0/00.

Basically, almost all the large Kato hood units use the same circuit board, so take the same drop-in decoder. The DCC-ready SD40, SD40-2, SD70MAC, SD70M, SD70ACe, C44-9W, AC4400CW, and ES44AC have a common board. The SD80MAC and SD9043MAC are exceptions that use a different board.

As far as I know, the only drop-in sound options for these are Digitrax and MRC. Digitrax and TCS make non-sound drop-in decoders for these. These are one of the easiest drop-in (board replacement) installs that you will find.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

I have a few MRC sound decoders for the Kato GEVO's etc. They are quite impressive for a straight drop in board with the speaker monuted under the board and doesnt require any modification to the loco chassis.

However I do find them harder to change the CV vlaues and have started replaceing them with non sound Digitrax boards now that I am using the Surroundtraxx system which gives louder sound at shows as the MRC ones are fine for home but not in a show with a lot of background noise.

Having used a few Digitrax sound decoders in N or HO, all have failed on me so staying clear of them.

Ian

Thanks Roundhouse. I'm stuck between either the proper mrc sd70mac sound decoder or the digtrax sd40-2 sound decoder. Both have mixed reviews but i think I'll go with the digitrax one because they sound more reliable. However, a few reviews say that the decoder cuts out a lot and you must install the supplied capaciter. Will there be enough room in the loco for the vapaciter as the speakers looks to take a lot of room as it is!

All the best and thanks for all your help.

Lloyd

Edited by GWR88

Thanks Roundhouse. I'm stuck between either the proper mrc sd70mac sound decoder or the digtrax sd40-2 sound decoder. Both have mixed reviews but i think I'll go with the digitrax one because they sound more reliable. However, a few reviews say that the decoder cuts out a lot and you must install the supplied capaciter. Will there be enough room in the loco for the vapaciter as the speakers looks to take a lot of room as it is!

All the best and thanks for all your help.

Lloyd

There is actually a fair amount of space at the rear of the SD70, more than in the SD40-2.

http://www.spookshow.net/katosd70.html

http://www.spookshow.net/katosd4x.html

Adrian

• 1 month later...

The newest US sound decoders on the market are the TCS Wowsound decoders. First were the steam, now the first Diesel decoders are released.

here's a few demo's , one for a EMD 645 Turbo, the other a EMD 567 prime mover, plus one more.  They sound great to me, and the playable horns are great too.

Edited by torikoos
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! Since when was a GP15-1 turbo'd though? :O

Correct, perhaps they intended these to be GP15T. :-)   I have asked TCS, non turbo sounds for several makes are in the works, and the decoders released in future will be updated so it's remains one decoder to buy , instead of a different one for another engine. 

I have a steam WOW decoder  in a Bachmann  Spectrum 4-4-0 and ...er ...WOW .Awsome sound .Makes Tsunami sound weak and muffled .Horns are fantastic .They do need driving though as they need actual braking on no 7 and 6 buttons as opposed to the  speed controller do it all ..I will put one in my SP SW1 when I get one  and certainly more  two more steam .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Having recently obtained an older P2K SD9 locomotive , which is still wired for DC, I'm going to convert it to DCC, and try out the WOW diesel in it. 

As it is a different road from the majority of my fleet, it won't often operate together with these, and thus trying out a different decoder in it is something I can easily do.

Once I've done the install , I'll report back on my findings. 

• Like 3

I recently aquired an second hand Athearn Genesis F2.

I seem unable to get this loco to start at a very low speed. It has an MRC pre-fitted sound decoder. It does not seem to respond

to resetting CV2 to ANY value, and setting CV125 (restore factory defaults) has no effects either. Nor does the changing CV63 value have any effect

on the noise level of the loco.

From the comments  above it seems that MRC  is a bit of a dud and is non-compliant in respect of DCC standards. Am I better off ditching this decoder?