LMS coches into Nationalisation

chris newman

Hi guys

i'm an N gauge modeller era1957-66.  I know very little about the LMS. would like the following questions answered(re subject header)

1)principle designs of LMS mainline stock Incl DRG/DIA numbers if known and running numbers.

2)Formation of trains to the SW.

Links to websites are great--if quoting books and authors please include ISBN numbers. MTIA

regds

chris

Hi guys

i'm an N gauge modeller era1957-66.  I know very little about the LMS. would like the following questions answered(re subject header)

1)principle designs of LMS mainline stock Incl DRG/DIA numbers if known and running numbers.

2)Formation of trains to the SW.

Links to websites are great--if quoting books and authors please include ISBN numbers. MTIA

regds

chris

You're not looking for much, are you!?!

I think the best response to such a wide-ranging query is http://lmsca.org.uk/lms-coaches/books-lms-coaches/ .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You're not looking for much, are you!?!

I think the best response to such a wide-ranging query is http://lmsca.org.uk/lms-coaches/books-lms-coaches/ .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

as I said I know very little about the LMS but tried to keep the subject as specific as possible with the subject header--however the link you provided may well be the best start possible to getting specific information--eventually!! but thanks for your effort and time.

regds

chris

Your question 1 requires you to purchase one of the "standard works" on LMS carriages - a proper answer would amount to a book... Historic Carriage Drawings 2 is probably your best bet if still in print. As a start you might take a look at Coachmann's carriage thread 

You may get further with question 2 which is a bit more precise but still needs clarifying - what exactly do you mean by "the SW"? And from where?   Are you asking about holiday services on the GWR/WR in the West of England - in which case your best starting point would be "Summer Saturdays in the West" - which I understand is a detailed description on the operation of services on the GW West of England mainline on summer Saturdays in the late 1950s . Or about services on the rival mainline from Waterloo to the "Withered Arm" west of Exeter?  

Or are you in fact asking about passenger trains (I assume you mean passenger trains not goods services) on the ex LMS route from Birmingham to Bristol and Bath , and potentially via the S&DJR from Bath Green Park to Bournemouth?

Sorry, but you're asking some extremely broad questions and it's not quite clear exactly what you mean

Your question 1 requires you to purchase one of the "standard works" on LMS carriages - a proper answer would amount to a book... Historic Carriage Drawings 2 is probably your best bet if still in print. As a start you might take a look at Coachmann's carriage thread 

You may get further with question 2 which is a bit more precise but still needs clarifying - what exactly do you mean by "the SW"? And from where?   Are you asking about holiday services on the GWR/WR in the West of England - in which case your best starting point would be "Summer Saturdays in the West" - which I understand is a detailed description on the operation of services on the GW West of England mainline on summer Saturdays in the late 1950s . Or about services on the rival mainline from Waterloo to the "Withered Arm" west of Exeter?  

Or are you in fact asking about passenger trains (I assume you mean passenger trains not goods services) on the ex LMS route from Birmingham to Bristol and Bath , and potentially via the S&DJR from Bath Green Park to Bournemouth?

Sorry, but you're asking some extremely broad questions and it's not quite clear exactly what you mean

Hi Ravenser

a valid point about Q2, I should have been a bit more specific, in saying SW I should have put Devon/Cornwall from say Birmingham/Liverpool/Manchester,

but i'll leave it at that for the moment wile I check out your recommended "Summer Saturdays in the West". Re the Waterloo services at the moment I have Sufficient information from SEmG  and BRCS groups.

regds

chris

My opinion on the books is that three books are really necessary:

1)  LMS Coaches by E&J contains a detailed and comprehensive discussion of all LMS coaches from the grouping.  There is also a section on NPCS.  Where it falls down IMO is the lack of good drawings (...and this is quite possibly by design).

2) & 3)  Historic Coach Drawings - Vol 2 by J and Vol 3 by Tatlow serve to round out the knowledge by adding photos and quite good drawings of the coaches and NPCS.  These are a great complement to 1).  There is still a dearth of underframe drawings showing brake and plumbing detail.

John

Another book worth your while may be 'Operation Midland' by P.W.Webb and W.S.Beckett published by Express Publishing (e-mail Xpressbooks@btinternet.com) ISBN 9781901056280. The subtitle 'Passenger Services 1955: St. Pancras-Leeds-Carlisle, Manchester-Derby, Bristol-Birmnigham-Derby Carriage Workings Timetables-Train Formations-Marshalling Arrangements, Carriage [working] Diagrams, etc.' just about says it all. It gives train formations, what type of coach (i.e. lMS or BR), what previous working the coach came off, where the train goes to and from and what the next working is for the coach.

My opinion on the books is that three books are really necessary:

1)  LMS Coaches by E&J contains a detailed and comprehensive discussion of all LMS coaches from the grouping.  There is also a section on NPCS.  Where it falls down IMO is the lack of good drawings (...and this is quite possibly by design).

2) & 3)  Historic Coach Drawings - Vol 2 by J and Vol 3 by Tatlow serve to round out the knowledge by adding photos and quite good drawings of the coaches and NPCS.  These are a great complement to 1).  There is still a dearth of underframe drawings showing brake and plumbing detail.

John

Hi John,

Many thanks for that info re your answer to 2&3 is that supposed to be J Tatlow, please can you quote ISBN Numbers  for the books as I have a search facility that works very well when the ISBN is Quoted.

regds

chris

Another book worth your while may be 'Operation Midland' by P.W.Webb and W.S.Beckett published by Express Publishing (e-mail Xpressbooks@btinternet.com) ISBN 9781901056280. The subtitle 'Passenger Services 1955: St. Pancras-Leeds-Carlisle, Manchester-Derby, Bristol-Birmnigham-Derby Carriage Workings Timetables-Train Formations-Marshalling Arrangements, Carriage [working] Diagrams, etc.' just about says it all. It gives train formations, what type of coach (i.e. lMS or BR), what previous working the coach came off, where the train goes to and from and what the next working is for the coach.

HI P>O>B

Many thanks for that tip, judging by your description it might well be the "Bible" for LMS Ops.

regds

chris

Hi John,

Many thanks for that info re your answer to 2&3 is that supposed to be J Tatlow, please can you quote ISBN Numbers  for the books as I have a search facility that works very well when the ISBN is Quoted.

Historic Carriage Drawings (not 'Coach' as it may confuse searches.

Volume Two 'LMS and Constituents' is by David Jankinson published in 1998 by Pendragon ISBN 1 899816 06 2

Volume Three 'Non-Passenger Coaching Stock' is by Peter Tatlow (of LNER wagons and Breakdown Cranes among others) again by Pendragon in 2000 ISBN 1 899816 09 7.

BTW, the 'Operation Midland' only covers the former Midland lines, not the rest of the LMS.

Historic Carriage Drawings (not 'Coach' as it may confuse searches.

Volume Two 'LMS and Constituents' is by David Jankinson published in 1998 by Pendragon ISBN 1 899816 06 2

Volume Three 'Non-Passenger Coaching Stock' is by Peter Tatlow (of LNER wagons and Breakdown Cranes among others) again by Pendragon in 2000 ISBN 1 899816 09 7.

BTW, the 'Operation Midland' only covers the former Midland lines, not the rest of the LMS.

Hi P_O_B,

Thanks for clearing that up for me ,makes it a lot easier in a new subject matter!!

Regds

chris

Chris, there are Amazon links to the books in the link in post 2. 

John

John,

Apologies, in my haste to reply to that post I only checked that the link was "live" so I could make the save to favourites, before moving on to reply to other posts in other sections, that'll teach me to slow down a bit!!

regds

chris

Archived