DMU Set numbers

treggyman

This is what I find confusing ? / annoying ? (not sure which) ...... in that the WR starts to paint set numbers on the front of its (say Cl.116)  units when a number of those sets are being transferred away to (predominantly) the Eastern and Scottish depots, whilst a few still contained a composite trailer and others weren't yet gangwayed, regardless of being in the 500xx, 508xx or 511xx series and doesn't take the opportunity to have a rethink and condense the set numbers into an almost consecutive block.

But, what I'd give to see a 'Derby sub set' roll into Ninian Park 'Halt' spewing exhaust fumes, frames sagging, windows rattling. Then to climb in and sink into a seat breathing in the exhaust fumes and doze off because the heating was excessive (summer) and after two blasts of the buzzer and with a farty raspberry sound (from the DMU, not me !) slowly accelerate the one stop to home.

Brian R

Hi  Brian R

I see & agree with what you are saying in your first paragraph but sadly was not into what was happening at the time......

HOWEVER.....I completely agree with the sentiment of your second paragraph......

I have enjoyed traveling in first generation DMU's since my first experience in about 1962 on Langport  to Taunton trips (no idea which units)'till their demise....

Sadly I was more of an observer than a user in most occasions......

Cheers Bill

• Friendly/supportive 1

Here is a page from one of my old copies of the 'Cardiff and Avonside Railway Society' Newsletter 56, August 1976.

I have checked my 1976 and 1977 Ian Allan Locoshed books for the vehicle allocations, and added B, C, L, or P as appropriate,

some of the sets moved allocation during 1976/7 as will be seen.

For example sets 470-473 moved to Laira, and all the Bristol class 117s went to Reading. Also set 319 moved from Laira to Cardiff.

I checked against my 1983 Platform 5 book to work out the DMU classes, which I have added on the right.

Any errors are therefore mine! 

attachicon.gifscan0055b.jpg

cheers

Hi Rivercider

What can I say......Absolutely brilliant....THANK YOU ever so much for the effort to produce such a record....

I am really grateful.....

Hopefully others will also benefit as the above is a really useful record of what was & may not be possible to recreate without personal records.

THANK YOU again

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is a page from one of my old copies of the 'Cardiff and Avonside Railway Society' Newsletter 56, August 1976.

Sets in the 600 and 800 series were mostly Swansea (Landore) based for west Wales / Heart of Wales operations and went on to gain S prefix numbers of they weren't already in use by 1976.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have checked my 1976 and 1977 Ian Allan Locoshed books for the vehicle allocations, and added B, C, L, or P as appropriate,

some of the sets moved allocation during 1976/7 as will be seen.

For example sets 470-473 moved to Laira, and all the Bristol class 117s went to Reading. Also set 319 moved from Laira to Cardiff.

I checked against my 1983 Platform 5 book to work out the DMU classes, which I have added on the right.

Any errors are therefore mine! 

cheers

Well, that saved me a lot of typing !

In 1971 L340-L343 were 'parcels units'

Sets in the 100 series were initially single cars, and also 50090 and 50132

Those in the 200 series were the former LMR Park Royal twin-sets.

The 300 series were mainly Derby Cl.116 sets.

Those in the 400 series were Pressed Steel and Gloucester RCW high density units.

500 series were Cross Country units, Cl.119 and 120 units.

600 series were the six Swindon Cross Country twin sets allocated to Canton but used in West Wales and on the Central Wales route.

700 series sets were Cl.123, Swindon Inter-City units.

800 and 900 sets came much later and were Met-Camm and Derby sets.

Brian R

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

L700-704 were later re-used for the class 104 twins allocated to Old Oak Common for Gospel Oak - Barking services and which strayed onto the Thames Valley at times as well.  I found one on an all-stations-to-Slough once and they've worked the Greenford bus as well

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Rivercider's post shows the WR must have had a logical rethink in the mid-70s when renumbering the Derby Cl.116 sets at least, as his scan shows these sets had been renumbered into an almost numerical order, based on the original batches eg. 500xx, 508xx and 511xx series.

Brian R

• Like 2

L700-704 were later re-used for the class 104 twins allocated to Old Oak Common for Gospel Oak - Barking services and which strayed onto the Thames Valley at times as well.  I found one on an all-stations-to-Slough once and they've worked the Greenford bus as well

In the early 90's any formation happen and unit numbers became irrelevant with my favorite ad hoc unit being a class 104 DMBS + class 101 TCL+ class 117 DMS. I have some slides of this unit somewhere and will have to dig them out at so e point. The other interesting car as the class 104 TCL which was allocated to the London division of the WR. It is interesting to note that no class 104 DMS or DTS were allocated to the WR in this period as far as I am aware.

XF

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

Sorry for the late reply to this thread. Back in October 1975, Bristol received at least two Class 101 three-car sets from the Eastern Region. They returned NE back at the beginning of May 1976.

The sets concerned were numbered B900 and B901. B900 comprised E50168 / E59082 / E50266. I didn't log the individual cars for set B901 though.

Can anyone help, please?. :).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bristolian said:

Sorry for the late reply to this thread. Back in October 1975, Bristol received at least two Class 101 three-car sets from the Eastern Region. They returned NE back at the beginning of May 1976.

The sets concerned were numbered B900 and B901. B900 comprised E50168 / E59082 / E50266. I didn't log the individual cars for set B901 though.

Can anyone help, please?. :).

From Longworth/Harris allocations it looks to be DMCL 50240/50245 and TBSL 59095. They returned to NL on 2nd May 76 and the to the Gosforth in June

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...