On 07/05/2019 at 13:22, Edwin_m said:

I belive there's one just east of Cardiff, and as this section isn't fully wired yet it can't be supplying any power although it may be commissioned.  It won't be supplying power to Swansea in the foreseeable...

There's also a rather substantial electrical installation under construction at Severn Tunnel Junction. But whether that is a feeder or something to do with section splitting, I don't know...

2 hours ago, andy stroud said:

is it not possible to lower the track under the bridge?

Almost certainly - by reducing the ballast depth. Hard to imagine that broad gauge locos with tall chimneys once went under this bridge, the headroom has been reduced so much. Having seen the amount of stationary traffic across the bridge at 4pm one weekday, I can understand why the 'malcontents' are malcontent. I'm sure the 'dynamite and bulldozer brigade' will win through in the end but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be fought every step of the way. History and heritage is fragile in today's greedy grab-it world. Once it's gone, it's lost forever.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, andy stroud said:

is it not possible to lower the track under the bridge?

Please read back through the thread so you can learn what the actual problems are, we have done that one about 5 times already and I really cant be arrissed to do it again.

A quick look at google earth will show you what the other half of the problem is.

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Almost certainly - by reducing the ballast depth. Hard to imagine that broad gauge locos with tall chimneys once went under this bridge, the headroom has been reduced so much. Having seen the amount of stationary traffic across the bridge at 4pm one weekday, I can understand why the 'malcontents' are malcontent. I'm sure the 'dynamite and bulldozer brigade' will win through in the end but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be fought every step of the way. History and heritage is fragile in today's greedy grab-it world. Once it's gone, it's lost forever.

Are you being serious, the bridge is barely able to support itself and has had so many repairs that hardly any of it is original.

Of course all these 'reviews' cost lots of money but hey this bridge is 'special' isnt it!

Edited by royaloak
  • Agree 1

On 23/04/2019 at 13:06, DY444 said:

Reports circulating that the line speed for electric traction under the infamous Steventon bridge is to be raised to 115mph in September.

12 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

It is hard to work out what is going on. Is the latter report true? If it is, what is the point of the Appeal?

No idea.  It is true that it is was reported and the information came from a usually reliable source.  Perhaps the intention is still to rebuild it but NR/GWR/Hitachi have agreed to accept the increased ole/pan carbon wear/maintenance at the higher speed in the meanwhile?

Edited by DY444
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, royaloak said:

Are you being serious, the bridge is barely able to support itself and has had so many repairs that hardly any of it is original.

Of course all these 'reviews' cost lots of money but hey this bridge is 'special' isnt it!

It's been made special by controversy, and the fact that it has clearly been neglected shouldn't be an excuse. But whether it stands or falls, the fact remains that it is on a very busy road and that there is no practical alternative while it is closed. Having seen the disruption being caused by bridge replacements on the MML near to where I live, I can understand the concerns of local people. When I visited the bridge at Steventon, 800s were passing under it OK, at speed on diesel. I thought that's why they have diesel engines, so they can deal with sections where there are no wires. 

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, royaloak said:

Closure of the crossings would be the other option.

But in Steventon?   I think the residents there put the 'moaners of Goring' in the shade when it comes to objecting to changes of any sort.

(Although closing the crossings is no doubt the best idea although I think the material state of the bridge might well also have something to do with NR's wish to get it demolished/rebuilt)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, dibber25 said:

It's been made special by controversy, and the fact that it has clearly been neglected shouldn't be an excuse. But whether it stands or falls, the fact remains that it is on a very busy road and that there is no practical alternative while it is closed. Having seen the disruption being caused by bridge replacements on the MML near to where I live, I can understand the concerns of local people. When I visited the bridge at Steventon, 800s were passing under it OK, at speed on diesel. I thought that's why they have diesel engines, so they can deal with sections where there are no wires. 

The idea was for sections beyond the wires, not for short gaps.

If that was the plan they could have saved a lot of money on rebuilding bridges, and not done the Severn Tunnel.

I don't know what the effect on maintenance is of having to start up the engines for a short period, or - perhaps more to the point - if it involves increased payments to Hitachi.

I don't know if they could just coast through rather than putting the diesels on - it seems plausible but I don't know if you can do that in an IET.

Now, I believe that in the South Wales Valleys the idea is indeed to carry out intermittent electrification, leaving out ovebridges and tunnels. We'll see how that goes, perhaps.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coryton said:

Now, I believe that in the South Wales Valleys the idea is indeed to carry out intermittent electrification, leaving out ovebridges and tunnels. We'll see how that goes, perhaps.

I think that they are still intending to carry wires under the bridges and in tunnels but to have them isolated. And the trains will be tri-mode so presumably easy to switch to battery power through those sections.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that they are still intending to carry wires under the bridges and in tunnels but to have them isolated. And the trains will be tri-mode so presumably easy to switch to battery power through those sections.

I imagine so too, at least for bridges.

It's not so obvious to be you'd do that for Caerphilly tunnel.

I don't know how much range the batteries are supposed to give. If significant, I could see an argument that once you're within battery range (there and back) of the end of a line there's no need to bother going any further, especially if diesel power is available if for some reason the batteries don't hold out. 

Though you'd maybe want wires at the termini for charging.

2 hours ago, Coryton said:

But wouldn't the Valley trains only need to be powered in the up direction? I suppose the could arrange things like the MSW and have the uptrains powered and the down ones generating. Of course, this means the trips would have to balance which would mean the timetabling would be,  interesting

3 minutes ago, billbedford said:

But wouldn't the Valley trains only need to be powered in the up direction? I suppose the could arrange things like the MSW and have the uptrains powered and the down ones generating. Of course, this means the trips would have to balance which would mean the timetabling would be,  interesting

Lets use a rope system and the trains going down the valley can pull the up trains up!!

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

That's pretty well what Dawson did when he engineered the LBSCR's electrification of the South London lines at 6.6kV, although he didn't have to contend with trains whose electronics start to shut down within moments of being deprived of power.

The real pain is that bi-mode and tri-mode are a politician's get out of jail card when it comes to getting the job done on the cheap, as against properly. They have their uses, but allowing "difficult" bits of electrification to be skipped wasn't intentionally one of them.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

As I’ve see no reports of problems on the Western, I’m guessing the “over engineered” OLE is doing its job in the heat?

You've beaten me to it.  I was going to ask the same question.   Having seen reports of problems on the WCML, MML and ECML it will be interesting to see how the GWML, and IIRC the recently rewired parts of the GEML have coped.

Jamie

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, jamie92208 said:

You've beaten me to it.  I was going to ask the same question.   Having seen reports of problems on the WCML, MML and ECML it will be interesting to see how the GWML, and IIRC the recently rewired parts of the GEML have coped.

Jamie

As I've posted elsewhere according to their man on Tuesday at a local BUG (Branch User Group) meeting the new GWML catenary is coping very well with the high temperatures with the automatic tension adjusters working well and no speeds planned for later in this week due to catenary tension problems.  Stated it was performing better than BR Mk1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Also no problems that I was aware of with the conductor rails on DC routes ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2