Troutons

enginelane

First show over and really pleased with the comments received. Thank you to everyone who took the time to chat. The layout won a shield and have received a number of enqueries regarding future shows but yet to be confirmed..Have taken some more photos but day job of preparing work for classes to be taught tomorrow and the little matter of the fish and chip club quiz on Tuesday needs to sorted first!

Should be on for Wednesday!

• RMweb Premium

Just to let readers see another view of the layout here is the photo that was used in the showguide.  It was taken at Gildersome in September and isn't of the highest quality but it's the best I had.

post-6824-0-20760200-1386167754.jpg

As exhibition manager I can say that the layout was very well received and has already got two invitations in the process of being firmed up.  It also attracted comment from other exhibitors that it was good to see a layout with so many younger operators many of our junior members were helping on it. 

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ahem... 3  :boast:

That's a higher percentage of our junior members than seniors.  perhaps we should advertise it as the only club layout exclusively operated by members who do not qualify for the seniors special at the Wetherby Whaler.

Jamie

That depends which crane you're asking about. The red one is Heljan's and is unmodified. The blue one is kit built, re-painted and weathered.

Heh,

I was talking about the "working crane" mentioned earlier on in the thread.  The blue one looks ace, I was hoping you'd found a way to motorise it that you could share with us all! :D

The blue one looks ace, I was hoping you'd found a way to motorise it that you could share with us all! :D

Not yet unfortunately. It is a much nicer looking model but I fear much to fine too be able to site the motors in there. Then there's the small matter of controlling it :S. 

Edited by RichardEyre

Not yet unfortunately. It is a much nicer looking model but I fear much to fine too be able to site the motors in there. Then there's the small matter of controlling it :S. 

Z-gauge motors and an N-gauge DCC Decoder? ;)

I'm constantly amazed that none of the major manufacturers are shipping a DCC Crane given the fact that the Heljan ones regularly go for well over £700 every time they turn up on eBay...

Here are some more images from the Wakefield Show. They being put on via iPad so apologies if you get neck ache viewing them!

Crane. The crane will move backwards and forwards but although there is power to the hoist the mechanism, spotlight and magnet will not work. It was going to be a key feature of the layout and was not cheap to buy! Any suggestions gratefully received.

post-9435-0-53757200-1386442480_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A shot from the back which paying customers do not see! Dummy container stacks to create a visual block through which trains can be glimpsed. Running through is a heavy haul freight liner train and in the head shunt a GBR freight train heading a loaded scrap train. This is awaiting possession to cross both mainlines and away down the branch. Most of the grass is static overlaying woodland scenically.

post-9435-0-78528100-1386443227_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Detail inside the scrapyard. The crusher is scratch built body on an Airfix tank transporter trailer chassis. The shears is scratch built from plasticard. There are 504 individual cubes of cooking foil. Comments were made that scrap was too shiny but it seems these days the demand is so high that it does not stay in the yard long enough to get really rusty after being crushed but any details re workings of such a yardvarevwelcomed.

post-9435-0-16879300-1386443635_thumb.jpg

• Like 3