Hornby 2014 - predictions

rovex

• RMweb Gold

Anyone who has spoken to Steam, in the last couple of days,about their next special may not agree with one of your predictions, though it could well in the 2015 list.

They are shut now so no point in ringing them.

Mike Wiltshire

I know what they have in mind, as it seems do you, but it won't appear in 2014 and the choice lies between 2015 and 2016 in my view (it all depends which 175th anniversary you pick, which might make it even later).  However we will then face the interesting question of what will be taken as the prototype subject and in what condition it will be modelled because if it suits 'final BR' it certainly won't suit pre-war (or indeed 'early BR') and vice versa,  I suspect the jury hasn't even thought about that one yet - let alone the period of gestation from 'idea' to product appearing.

I think that's nonsense; their "previous" Gresley coaches were the non-gangwayed Gresleys, which I think pretty much everyone considers to be some of the finest "ordinary" RTR coaching stock yet made. You may be thinking of the gangwayed Gresleys from a few years before that, which had the missing tumblehome (among other issues).

Yes, I should have been more specific - I was definitely thinking of the gangwayed vehicles. The Gresley non-gangwayed types ruled themselves out for me on geographic and period counts. 

The Nim.

Hi

I can't keep up with this any longer.  I have had a nice glass of red wine and forecast;

1.  Merchant Navy. Chassis available, careful design of tooling will allow for many variants, several colours. Grey, black, blue, green (several), good names.

2.  Portsmouth electric, 4 COR.  Follow on from successful 2 BIL and Maunsell coaches.

3.  Something small from the LNER, D? or J?

I await tomorrow morning with interest.

Roger.

I know what they have in mind, as it seems do you, but it won't appear in 2014 and the choice lies between 2015 and 2016 in my view (it all depends which 175th anniversary you pick, which might make it even later).  However we will then face the interesting question of what will be taken as the prototype subject and in what condition it will be modelled because if it suits 'final BR' it certainly won't suit pre-war (or indeed 'early BR') and vice versa,  I suspect the jury hasn't even thought about that one yet - let alone the period of gestation from 'idea' to product appearing.

I only know as, last week when I spoke to them regarding my Star, they asked if I would be interested in buying one and had it explained that it would be a brand new model.

Mike Wiltshire

My guess for the announcement would be - a move away from Chinese production.

It's one thing manufacturing costs being lower over there, but if you haven't got any products to sell it wouldn't surprise me if there was a move elsewhere, ...UK?

I actually think you might have it there.....

If its something evolutionary I can bet its going be to do with DDC. So i won't be interested.

Maybe they come up with a replacement for the tension hook?

If its going to be DCC its going to be a DCC scale enthusiast with flapping arms and froth with function controls. DCC Sound comes with curse when red pen runs out, that engine is.... etc

a.) I don't know why and b.) I don't think there's any reason to (on the subject I have in mind) where I'm sure many will think "Now that's interesting".

A - Its hard enough to get something made for the North East Region

B - Given Ozzy put together a count that shows broad consensus for a few engines from different areas. If Hornby dont go choosing things we really want to buy, and lots of them, then will those profit warnings and company statements get worse? I hope not.

Still, as for guessing now... I GIVE UP! :banghead:

I'd like to see the Class 110 re emerge with their new power bogie. I can see the Class 155 do this as well. For steam they'll jump on the pre grouping band wagon. Maybe an all new First Generation DMU, a Second Generation DMU and a new coach diagram. Possibly another early EMU that's similar to the 2BIL.

A rtr Stirling Single would be heavenly, but knowing the luck of train modellers, as soon as the kit is done and motorised, Hornby will no doubt have one in their 2014 range...

What else? 

For my 14xx I ordered in January to arrive already...

Retooled Dean Goods

A new Terrier

some GWR and LNER coaches

NSWGR C38 (one can dream, right? :D)

A rtr Stirling Single would be heavenly, but knowing the luck of train modellers, as soon as the kit is done and motorised, Hornby will no doubt have one in their 2014 range...

I always had that one tagged to Bachmann as they already produce the Thomas version Emily.

Mike Wiltshire

On the Hornby Dublo theme, how about a boxed set of A4s with Silver King, early crest, Golden Fleece and Mallard late crest (all in green) and Sir Nigel Gresley in LNER Garter blue? They already have the tooling.

I've wondered whether Rocket and the Liverpool and Manchester coaches might reappear?

Evolutionary, eh ?

Then it's gotta be CKU......Completely Knocked Up.

Hornby releases their own 3D Printer.

Scans / Programmes only, will be featured in the 2014 Catalogue...No models.

Thus leaving the purist or un-fazed modeller to add or subtract as much detail, as they so choose.

Eye thenk yew..

Only game changer I can think of in terms of the existing scale is if certain items become available only direct from Hornby with items produced only to the number of firm orders. Just a thought.  

quite likely scenario this, with items made available only from Hornby, and/or a concessionaire, and/or other pre-ordering system, if someone pays some sort of up-front price for say 1,000 units. Who would be brave enough in current industry circumstances where reliable on-time delivery is unlikely? 

That said, finding production capacity at an acceptable price, or even a higher price appears to be difficult at the moment, while Hornby are committed to fixing supply chain issues and preserving existing clientele.

• RMweb Gold

but presumably ran perfectly for many years regardless.... ?

It never missed a beat Rob, in fact of my three HD locos, Duchess and the N2(7)? it was by far the best.

Rgds.......Mike

It could be the return of CKD,  you buy a basic loco , in the box is a sprue and kit of parts, you add the detail to the level you require.

Design clever,  bring back keeper plate chassis,  undo two screws and lower the wheels and valve gear out, so easy for conversion or repair

It could be the return of CKD,  you buy a basic loco , in the box is a sprue and kit of parts, you add the detail to the level you require.

Design clever,  bring back keeper plate chassis,  undo two screws and lower the wheels and valve gear out, so easy for conversion or repair

Given that the first thing a fair few owners do is tear the thing apart in order to detail/improve it, that could be argued as a time saving feature. Always assuming that the cost of packing all the parts does not exceed the reduced cost of assembly.

Archived