PGH's photographs of British Railways from c1960

Hi PGH

Absolutely Fantastic. You should consider getting a book published!

However one slight complaint! SWMBO is going to kill me, as I've spent the last hour looking at this thread instead of doing the Ironing!

And it's your fault!!

Simon

The more I look at these photos the more I want to go and ride these routes and also to model them the quality is terrific as is the variety of locations ,noticed in one photo of Inverness a driver walking towards the camera.He is wearing the uniform of the day ,what an awful set of garments the colour scheme the cut the obvious poor quality of the cloth and those flared trousers all in all a right dogs dinner I bet most employees hated wearing them.

With reference to the picture "37422 at Tyndrum Upper on a permanent way train" in post #288, Seal is a new FISHKND to me.

Does anybody know what these are or where they came from? Had a quick look at Paul Bartletts' website, but may not have looked heard enough.

Thanks for any forthcoming response.

{mumble} didn't look very hard at all - http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=SEAL - answers my question. Former ferry highs and coded ZGA.

Edited by dvdlcs

As a Scot (anglicised these days) and confirmed steam fan, I have to say that I am rather awe struck by these images of my homeland. Although my taste hasn't changed, I can certainly see why the 37s have such a following and agree wholeheartedly with 'lmsforever' about the book! Well done and kind regards,

Jock67B.

post-14569-0-72227400-1453722517.jpg

37411 at Oban on the 8.10 to Glasgow

post-14569-0-61809200-1453722520.jpg

37401 on the West Highlander tour train leaving Crianlarich for Oban

post-14569-0-64988100-1453722523.jpg

37412 arriving at Crianlarich light engine from Fort William

post-14569-0-78718400-1453722525.jpg

37412 at Crianlarich

post-14569-0-63103300-1453722527.jpg

……and leaving in the distance

post-14569-0-80626100-1453722529.jpg

post-14569-0-73498300-1453722532.jpg

37413 + 37408 arriving at Crianlarich on the 8.40 Fort William to Glasgow

post-14569-0-62382100-1453722534.jpg

and crossing with 37423 on the 8.34 Glasgow to Oban

post-14569-0-07051100-1453722537.jpg

post-14569-0-69195400-1453722539.jpg

37413 + 37408 after arrival at Glasgow Queen Street Station

- and back to where we started this topic

Edited by PGH
  • Like 16

Oh the memories of Queen Street and the WHL when it was a real railway. Also have to say there is something just right about 37414, no name and big stags, brilliant.

If you've got lots of these you should get a pic book done

While this topic is up in Scotland this account may be of interest, and perhaps someone with knowledge of the area may be able to add some more detail. 

In June 1979 on a visit to NCB locations in Scotland I spent two days at Polkemmet Colliery recording the operation of the steam locos on cine film.  At the end of the second day I went up to Polkemmet Moor where the BR line from the colliery to Benhar Junction crosses a minor road by an ungated crossing to hopefully catch a loaded BR train leaving.  I didn't have to wait long before I could hear a 37 climbing the gradient up from the colliery, so I set up my cine camera about 200 yards or so from the crossing.  When the loco appeared I started filming but to my surprise the train didn't stop or even slow for the crossing, although the area then was completely open with good visibility for perhaps about 1/4 mile in each direction.  After the train left the crossing I noticed dust appearing between the wagons, which I thought seemed rather odd but then realised that part of the train was off the track and the derailed wagons were literally bouncing up and down before the train came to a standstill.

I then wondered what to do next ?, obviously a closer look was called for, but how would the crew react to someone with a camera, especially if they knew the incident had been filmed - I'm sure the way they crossed the road was not 'by the book'.  However the problem was soon resolved as they uncoupled the first two wagons from the remainder of the train and disappeared over the hill towards Benhar Junction.  The closer view was recorded partly on cine film and in the photos below, with the wagons still in line but some now sitting on the ballast instead of on the track.

post-14569-0-41714600-1397766341.jpg

View from the level crossing showing some minor damage to sleepers and broken chairs in the foreground

post-14569-0-36367700-1397766344.jpg

The wagons from the front end of the train - the first 4 more or less still on the track, the following 7 on the ballast

post-14569-0-62943200-1397766338.jpg

Close up of damage to the track with one rail bent into a 'U' shape

So can anybody add any further details of this incident ?, the date was 13th June 1979 (and from the above you'll note that there were 13 wagons originally in the train !).  Presumably it would have taken several days to remove the wagons and relay the track, which might have affected the production at Polkemmet Colliery. 

……and in case you are wondering, its still on the original cine film, I should get it transferred to digital some time. 

Funnily enough this was the second derailment I witnessed in Scotland.  3 years earlier I was at the level crossing where the NCB line to Comrie Colliery crossed the A907. This was a gated crossing complete with signals and catch points all interlocked with the gates and controlled from a small signal box.  One of the colliery's Austerity 0-6-0STs was returning to the colliery light engine as there were no incoming empties and it derailed by splitting the catch point approaching the crossing.  The derailment was fairly minor and it didn't take too long to put the errant wheels back on the track with the aid of jacks and timber packing brought down from the colliery by road.  However in the meantime as the catch point was jammed closed (i.e. open to rail traffic) they couldn't open the level crossing gates, and being a fairly major A road the traffic was backing up.  I could see two men in the signal box struggling with the catch point lever and eventually they managed to force it over and open the gates, bending the rodding to the catch point in an 'S' shape in the process. 

Edited by PGH
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I've noticed on that last shot of the double-headed 37's that the first one is sat beyond the stop board. Obviously it must be something to do with fitting the train into the loop, but a bit irregular I would have though, it being a SPAD.

Great photos again!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

While this topic is up in Scotland this account may be of interest, and perhaps someone with knowledge of the area may be able to add some more detail. 

In June 1979 on a visit to NCB locations in Scotland I spent two days at Polkemmet Colliery recording the operation of the steam locos on cine film.  At the end of the second day I went up to Polkemmet Moor where the BR line from the colliery to Benhar Junction crosses a minor road by an ungated crossing to hopefully catch a loaded BR train leaving.  I didn't have to wait long before I could hear a 37 climbing the gradient up from the colliery, so I set up my cine camera about 200 yards or so from the crossing.  When the loco appeared I started filming but to my surprise the train didn't stop or even slow for the crossing, although the area then was completely open with good visibility for perhaps about 1/4 mile in each direction.  After the train left the crossing I noticed dust appearing between the wagons, which I thought seemed rather odd but then realised that part of the train was off the track and the derailed wagons were literally bouncing up and down before the train came to a standstill.

I then wondered what to do next ?, obviously a closer look was called for, but how would the crew react to someone with a camera, especially if they knew the incident had been filmed - I'm sure the way they crossed the road was not 'by the book'.  However the problem was soon resolved as they uncoupled the first two wagons from the remainder of the train and disappeared over the hill towards Benhar Junction.  The closer view was recorded partly on cine film and in the photos below, with the wagons still in line but some now sitting on the ballast instead of on the track.

attachicon.gifPolkemmet Derailment 1.jpg

View from the level crossing showing some minor damage to sleepers and broken chairs in the foreground

attachicon.gifPolkemmet Derailment 2.jpg

The wagons from the front end of the train - the first 4 more or less still on the track, the following 7 on the ballast

attachicon.gifPolkemmet Derailment 3.jpg

Close up of damage to the track with one rail bent into a 'U' shape

So can anybody add any further details of this incident ?, the date was 13th June 1979 (and from the above you'll note that there were 13 wagons originally in the train !).  Presumably it would have taken several days to remove the wagons and relay the track, which might have affected the production at Polkemmet Colliery. 

Looks very much like roadspread to me - the marks visible in you first pic are fairly typical of that sort of derailment although it would need a view of the point of initial derailment to be more conclusive regarding the cause.

• RMweb Premium

I've noticed on that last shot of the double-headed 37's that the first one is sat beyond the stop board. Obviously it must be something to do with fitting the train into the loop, but a bit irregular I would have though, it being a SPAD.

Great photos again!

Andy G

Is that not a stop board for the line the approaching train is on? i.e. can be worked both ways

Presumably there's a stop board to the left of (and hidden by) the 2x37s, similar to the previous pic with 412 light engine.

Edited by keefer

Is that not a stop board for the line the approaching train is on? i.e. can be worked both ways

Presumably there's a stop board to the left of (and hidden by) the 2x37s, similar to the previous pic with 412 light engine.

That's correct, there is another stop board nearer the loop points and shown on the loco shed photo - fifth photo of post #294, enlargement below

post-14569-0-41056800-1453722870.jpg

Edited by PGH