• RMweb Premium

One of the class 20's failed at the diesel weekend, it was still there this week along with one of the class 73's, any idea what the plan is? 

The 20 has bad wheel flats as a result of its failure during the gala and it was thought it might require road transport. Hence it got left behind for a more in depth assessment.

The 73 was left behind because (1) It was not certain the 20 would need to go away by road (if a slow speed path could be found by NR to get it back to a suitable depot then hailing it by rail was GBRFs preferred option) and (2) the Bluebell is VERY tight for locos at the moment* so the 73 could have been pressed into service if anything else went wrong.

* The Q has been stopped with leaking firebox stays, the S15 is in the works having some work done on its valves / pistons, the H is likewise in for several jobs to be tackled (as usual it was stopped for one thing and a further 6 need doing) and the C is restricted to yard work. The only serviceable locos at present are Camelot (which desperately needs a boiler washout but is having to wait), the E4, Bluebell and Baxter.

Edited by phil-b259

Just to add to their problems, a friend sent me a message on Facebook saying the 73 had derailed at Sheffield Park blocking the run-round loop at about 16.30. It would appear the trailing bogie split the points.

• RMweb Premium

Just to add to their problems, a friend sent me a message on Facebook saying the 73 had derailed at Sheffield Park blocking the run-round loop at about 16.30. It would appear the trailing bogie split the points.

Not good given the loco depot is south of the station.

• 2 weeks later...

According to an inside source, the C Class has been 'patch-repaired' to a degree which will see it through to the end of it's ticket, allowing its restriction of 'yard use only' to be lifted.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if the Adams tank ever ventured out onto the mainline in the early preservation days? I know that Birch Grove and Stepney took a trip to Brighton, and I believe that the E4 also double headed with a 4MT on another trip. I have seen photos of the E4 and Adams with a 'Blue Belle' headboard, but the only photos of this arrangement online appear to be on Bluebell metals, having taken over the T9/Caledonian railtour's coaches for a trip to Sheffield Park.

Unfortunately I don't have my usual Bluebell literature to hand!

Thanks in advance

There are some pictures of the Adams and other Bluebell locos at Haywards Heath on the Haywards Heath 175 event website http://www.hh175th.co.uk/gallery/

The event is on 18th September. Stepney will be on display at Haywards Heath and there are shuttles on the Ardingly branch using the Hastings DEMU. More info http://www.hh175th.co.uk/schedule-of-events/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Subject to final conformation the second visitor to GoS will be BR 70013 'Oliver Cromwell' https://www.facebook.com/events/302258070136657/permalink/311134962582301/

Well, I was down as SP this afternoon delivering some magazines to the std 2 tank group for resale at GOS and the B12 was being offloaded from a heavy haul trailer in the car park, later I went around the other side of the works and there was...an 8F, 48624, no sign of OC, it's a bonus if the 8F is an addition but I fear the worst, again. 

• RMweb Premium

Well, I was down as SP this afternoon delivering some magazines to the std 2 tank group for resale at GOS and the B12 was being offloaded from a heavy haul trailer in the car park, later I went around the other side of the works and there was...an 8F, 48624, no sign of OC, it's a bonus if the 8F is an addition but I fear the worst, again. 

Oliver Cromwell is not coming - the 8F is its replacement.

I believe that a significant factor behind this is OC has some form of axlebox defect that means it is banned from setting foot on the national network till it gets fixed*. I think the original plan was that it would come to the Bluebell by road from Loughborough, attend the gala, then use the mainline connection to move up to Southall and resume railtour work in the run up to Christmas. With that no longer possible and faced with the costs of transporting it back to the GCR it was judged not to be worthwhile to send it to Sussex in the first place.

*The defect is however not serious enough that it prevents her from being used at 25mph on Heritage Railways

Well OC no coming is a shame but I'll take the B12 and 8F, something different, a first for both classes on the Bluebell? Things seem to be on the up and on the move down the Bluebell, not perfect yet, but to make the most of the EG mainline connection they need some turning facilities, but before somebody jumps on that it's probably more important to spend the money on replacement track. It must be a nightmare for any preserved railway where the trackbed sits on clay, the Bluebell News has shown infrastructure reports in the past where they have made changes to the drainage and used this clever blanket under the ballast to stop the clay rising, are they doing this in the current point and track replacement work just north of Horsted. I see the preserved GWR are buying new rail for their Broadway extension from the share issue, I wonder how much it would cost the Bluebell to catch-up on their replacement rail program. I know that the C class has suffered from broken springs on more than one occasion, but Camelot might be having a bit of trouble? If anyone is going down to GOS next weekend, hopefully they might allow some access to the works, but the professional painters have paid a visit and the SECR O class is coming back together and if you stand back and look at the paintwork you've got to admire their work.   

• RMweb Premium

Well OC no coming is a shame but I'll take the B12 and 8F, something different, a first for both classes on the Bluebell? Things seem to be on the up and on the move down the Bluebell, not perfect yet, but to make the most of the EG mainline connection they need some turning facilities, but before somebody jumps on that it's probably more important to spend the money on replacement track. It must be a nightmare for any preserved railway where the trackbed sits on clay, the Bluebell News has shown infrastructure reports in the past where they have made changes to the drainage and used this clever blanket under the ballast to stop the clay rising, are they doing this in the current point and track replacement work just north of Horsted. I see the preserved GWR are buying new rail for their Broadway extension from the share issue, I wonder how much it would cost the Bluebell to catch-up on their replacement rail program. I know that the C class has suffered from broken springs on more than one occasion, but Camelot might be having a bit of trouble? If anyone is going down to GOS next weekend, hopefully they might allow some access to the works, but the professional painters have paid a visit and the SECR O class is coming back together and if you stand back and look at the paintwork you've got to admire their work.   

The condition of the track is causing the Bluebell a LOT of problems (particularly excessive flange wear). Please remember that:-

(a) Most of it on the SP - HK section is what was inherited from BR when they purchased the line back in the 1960s - i.e. the track itself dates from the 1930s!

(b) Every last penny the railway earned in the years adjacent to 2013 had to be spent on digging out the cutting at Imberhorne to beat the landfill tax deadline. Effectively all departments were subjected to a BR style 'maintenance holiday' to conserve funds leading to a very desperate situation with loco availability a couple of years  ago and a continuing backlog of track repairs.

A 5 year track replacement programme, plus selected hand grinding and tamping has been devised - but this relies on visitors still coming along and generating the funds needed. As such this years Giants gala is an important event and will hopefully be well supported thus generating much needed funds to keep the track replacement plan on target.

• RMweb Premium

Are the 8F and B12 running this weekend?

I don't think so - although there may be a gauging / test run for them both at some stage during the forthcoming week.

Please remember that this weekend sees a Mid Hants gala taking place (the Bluebell don't want to deliberately take attention away from that) and obviously the Bluebell wish to maximise attendance at their own gala rather than people dropping in during the week.

The condition of the track is causing the Bluebell a LOT of problems (particularly excessive flange wear). Please remember that:-

(a) Most of it on the SP - HK section is what was inherited from BR when they purchased the line back in the 1960s - i.e. the track itself dates from the 1930s!

They certainly made it to last!

I have a mate 'on the inside', as it were.

The way he put it to me, there seems to be a constant, repetitive disagreement between the Management Team and the Permanent Way department. In that, in blunt terms, the Management throw money at the loco department for repairs and overhauls, while depriving the P-Way department of funds.

The P-Way department argues (or maybe it was just my mate), the reason the locos keep needing money thrown at them, is the fact the trackwork is shaking them to bits. But they don't have the money to do anything about it.

Regards,

Matt

The way he put it to me, there seems to be a constant, repetitive disagreement between the Management Team and the Permanent Way department. In that, in blunt terms, the Management throw money at the loco department for repairs and overhauls, while depriving the P-Way department of funds.

The P-Way department argues (or maybe it was just my mate), the reason the locos keep needing money thrown at them, is the fact the trackwork is shaking them to bits. But they don't have the money to do anything about it.

Regards,

Matt

The PW team had to fund their own Kangol hammers to tamper the track in the early noughties. They were getting no assistance at all from the railway, but then the Bluebell is notorious for its cliquey politics, both internally and the way it behaves towards its enthusiast base.

Best left alone to get on with it!

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Regards,

Matt

But to a great extent its a chicken an egg situation

Track does not earn money - you actually need motive power to earn the money. As such the immediate crisis in the run up to and shortly after the opening to E Grinstead was quite simply a lack of locos to generate money.

The bottom line is that getting to E Grinstead has basically bled the railway dry - at exactly the time serious money started to be needed to be spent on track, every last penny had to be focused on the extension to the exclusion of all else.

That the board have seemingly been in a state of denial about the track situation is unfortunate - but to be fair they have effectively been trying to play catch up, and no locos = no revenue.

• RMweb Premium

.... but then the Bluebell is notorious for its cliquey politics, both internally and the way it behaves towards its enthusiast base.

The Bluebell is far from being unique in this respect - although certain aspects such as it being one of the first Heritage railways in the country and the generally conservative stance of the membership possibly have not helped foster openness in the past.

The new general manager is however making good progress in tackling various internal issues so hopefully that should reduce the 'Cliqueyness' in future years.

But to a great extent its a chicken an egg situation

Track does not earn money - you actually need motive power to earn the money. As such the immediate crisis in the run up to and shortly after the opening to E Grinstead was quite simply a lack of locos to generate money.

The bottom line is that getting to E Grinstead has basically bled the railway dry - at exactly the time serious money started to be needed to be spent on track, every last penny had to be focused on the extension to the exclusion of all else.

That the board have seemingly been in a state of denial about the track situation is unfortunate - but to be fair they have effectively been trying to play catch up, and no locos = no revenue.

Though of course without suitable track the locos are next to useless.

Hope they get it sorted soon. Break a loco and it's probably possible to get something else, sever the line between SP and HK and things get a bit more complex.

• RMweb Premium

So what we're saying is, basically, you can't run a railway (and get revenue) without having 'all the bits' working, and not prioritizing any one thing over any other?

Basically yes. All parts go towards the whole of running the railway. Track, signals, locos, rolling stock, without any one of those the railway can't function, though having said that I know of a couple of railways abroad that run without signals, but their operation is somewhat limited.

The trouble is that track and signals aren't "sexy", locos are and ten to get all the attention. It's the same with most heritage railways. Try to get an appeal going to fund track relaying and the result will be zero; try to fund buying another loco and money usually "falls out of the sky". The 2 railways I'm involved with have both invested in track over the years and have both built extensions in the last 30 years as well as buying locos.

But they've continued investment in track, to the extent of hiring in things like tamping machines to keep the track in order. This has paid dividends in reduced wear and tear on locos and rolling stock and a much better ride quality, especially on Victorian trains with 4 wheelers and premium price dining trains.