Pont Merthyr Abercwmdulais Fawr Junction Colliery Yard and Disposal Point

marc smith

Re the power for the sector-plate

I'll probably just solder jumper-wires to the rails

I figured the best place would be somewhere near the pivot end of the sector-plate

as there is less physical movement at that end....

Something like this, Marc?

post-12822-0-98965100-1395831505.jpg

Connections to rails strengthened by fabric tape (red); roll off of stock prevented by styrene angle (white).

Works a treat.

Cheers

Armin

Oooh – love your little layout, coming along well.

• Like 1

Something like this, Marc?

attachicon.gifM Smith 1.jpg

Connections to rails strengthened by fabric tape (red); roll off of stock prevented by styrene angle (white).

Works a treat.

Cheers

Armin

Oooh – love your little layout, coming along well.

Thanks Armin,

And yes - something like that

I do like your simple and effective styrene angle, as buffer-stop

Very neat :)

I might well borrow that idea...

As I think I mentioned above,

I've designed this little project as a standalone "inglenook" type shunting layout

which all fits on the one board, and can be set-up quickly - on the dining room table (when she's out!)

Or, with the addition of a few cassettes, the offstage areas can be extended, to increase operation

alternatively, the layout could be "plugged-in" to, or become part of a larger scheme...

Re the sector-plate / extension

Currently, there's room for just one small loco and a wagon

but I intend to extend this with an exhibition cassette...

I've seen a very neat solution here,

where modelers have soldered tubing on the outside edge of the end of each rail....

On the cassette / extension, a short length of solid wire is soldered,

to act as join between the 2...

I'm sure with a "solid" enough wire, this would even suffice for electrical continuity....

Cheers again

I pictured 1970's, and some kids in flares & snorkel jackets,

making a snowman, at the end of a Roath or Splott terraced house

and a little stabling / fuelling point in the background.....

With Brotherhood of Man Slade on the transistor radio

How about this for a setting for the kids to be playing ?

(No snow, but a ready made adventure playground)

A mile or so west of Splott - I think it's around Windsor Esplanade, but stand to be corrected. 

As for your NCB tongue twister - I think the brick building is a better option, and a small, narrow and low sleeper built platform for the 'Paddy Train' would fit nocely, and increase operational potential.

Brian R

post-1599-0-26496700-1395837490_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've seen a very neat solution here,

where modelers have soldered tubing on the outside edge of the end of each rail....

On the cassette / extension, a short length of solid wire is soldered,

to act as join between the 2...

I'm sure with a "solid" enough wire, this would even suffice for electrical continuity....

And there's me thinking that for once I'd come up with an original idea! Last time I was in L&B I bought some Albion Alloys brass tube & the correct sized brass rod to slide inside it - I was going to try almost the exact same idea that you posted there on my sliding fiddle yard...!! 

• Like 1

A mile or so west of Splott - I think it's around Windsor Esplanade, but stand to be corrected. 

As for your NCB tongue twister - I think the brick building is a better option, and a small, narrow and low sleeper built platform for the 'Paddy Train' would fit nocely, and increase operational potential.

Brian R

Ooooh, what a cracking photo Brian! :)

Just the sort of inner-city urban scene from my youth

and, on seeing that shot, I don't quite understand why some might be thinking

"ah the good old days" ;)

Fraught with sharp, slippery, rusty and or toxic dangers, lurking everywhere

such "playgrounds" would be much to the chagrin of todays' Health & Safety conscious folks

Dad often recalls playing on the old WW2 Bomb sites in Roath,

around Crofts St area - where all the kids played hide & seek etc

But of course, that's another project.....

re Pont Merthyr Abercwmdulai.... Ahem, my NCB Tongue-twister

Yes, it doesn't fully come across in my distant view of the layout,

but the smaller building does look more "in proportion" to the rest of the layout...

Again, I won't permanently plant it until I've more scenery in place...

Sorry Keith, bur the method with the tubing is an idea I've seen a few times

Of course, if you came up with the idea independently, then you're obviously designing,

thinking, and problem solving your own way - and that's just as important anyway..

Cheers again all

Marc

PS. Any more photos like that one Brian? ;)

Sorry Keith, bur the method with the tubing is an idea I've seen a few times

Of course, if you came up with the idea independently, then you're obviously designing,

thinking, and problem solving your own way - and that's just as important anyway..

Knowing me Marc, I probably saw it on someone elses layout, thought that's a good idea, promptly forgot all about & then 'came up ' with it when looking at the brass rod & tube in L&B!!

And talking of playgrounds, ours was on Swansea Vale - site of a hundred or so years of dumping from the copper industry smelters! It was great, like the barren, desolate surface of some alien planet - & as Doctor Who was the new in thing on telly it was ideal!! It's just a wonder given the colour of the 'rocks' & pools of stagnant 'water' there, that we didn't all grow up into two headed monsters like something the Doctor would have fought...!!  :crazy_mini:   :crazy:  :O

Agreed that the photo Brian posted is very modelogenic...!

Edited by keefr2
  • Like 1

......talking of playgrounds, ours was on Swansea Vale - site of a hundred or so years of dumping from the copper industry smelters! It was great, like the barren, desolate surface of some alien planet - & as Doctor Who was the new in thing on telly it was ideal!! It's just a wonder given the colour of the 'rocks' & pools of stagnant 'water' there, that we didn't all grow up into two headed monsters like something the Doctor would have fought...!!  :crazy_mini:   :crazy:  :O

Agreed that the photo Brian posted is very modelogenic...!

Neither Brian or myself or any other Cardiffian would even think of calling someone from Swansea

a "two headed monster" of course! ;)

In my youth, me & a bunch of pals used to go digging about on an old tip

on the South Eastern part of Cardiff

Between Greenway park and the main Swansea - Paddington line

The place had been used as a tip many years previously,

as we dug up old victorian bits of china & glass....

Who knows why we dug up that rubbish?

We obviously thought we might come across some "treasure" or other

One lad apparently dug up an old service revolver - so the tales went

... of course, during the following weeks, there was much renewed enthusiasm for our digs

Later, I turned my attention to the railway line

Although, which was the more healthy hobby is open to debate

Marc

PS. I'm sure there are many Jacks who would call us Cardiffians a few choice names too - not yourself included Keith :)

Have you looked at the rest of the set it's in Marc, I've been busy saving them all - superb stuff! I'd like to add my thanks to ailg8048 for the link!

Looking forward to seeing your layout based on the pic... !!

keith

Hi Keith,
Yes, I've looked at many of the others in that link
To anyone reading this thread - I'd recommend taking a look at alig8048's link
Honestly, there are some absolutely fabulous shots in there.... drool
Lovely stuff, take a look Brian R, Brian T, Wayne etc - you won't be disappointed
It's one of the reasons I love rmweb :)

Cheers again
Marc

PS. Unfortunately, those photos have had the effect of making me want to build more layouts! lol

• RMweb Gold

Those images are something else......makes me want to start modelling the valleys in the 70s. .....blimey! I'll be listening to Badfinger, Budgie and Man next....oh! I am.....

Best go for a lie down.

Rob.( 1975. Aged 10 and 3/4....... )

• Like 1

Brian R

Just an aside,but if you (BrianR) double click the image you get a better view of the photo and I believe that's the "GLENDOWER" pub at the end of the row.

Yes...what an atmospheric shot ,get modelling .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just an aside,but if you (BrianR) double click the image you get a better view of the photo and I believe that's the "GLENDOWER" pub at the end of the row.

In which case, the photographer has his back to Hope street and we are looking at Callaghan square, are we not.

Critchon St. Towards East canal wharf....

Rob.

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Gold

Re the power for the sector-plate

I'm still undecided - I may well use aluminium angle to strengthen the sides of the plate

and simply solder jumper wires to / from that to the track and the power feed....

You might find that a bit difficult. Aluminium will not solder normally, and you have to use special solders and processes. See http://www.wikihow.com/Solder-Aluminum for one method.

As an alternative, I would drill a hole in the aluminium and bolt a solder tag to it. You then solder your wire to the solder tag.

Another cracker there Alistair / alig8048
Thanks once again for that link....
These sort of cameos demonstrate just how "modelogenic" the South Wales Collieries are!

Must resist temptation to start drawing more micro layout plans
Must finish this layout first..... must....
arghh - I'm doodling plans again ;)

nhy581 / Rob - did you ever stop listening to Badfinger & Budgie? ;)

EDIT: Of course, in this case "Budgie" refers to the band - not the above poster...

Edited by marc smith

EDIT

How I thought that was Windsor Esplanade, I'll never know !

On and off over the years I've researched the Glamorganshire Canal Railway ownership of which (together with the canal) passed to Cardiff Corporation in 1944.

The railway which ran from East Canal Wharf to the canals sea lock serving industries alongside Dumballs Road continued to operate until closure in February, 1963.

This photo probably dates from one of my field visits  and the houses are located on the south side of Crichton Street, with The Glendower to the right, on the corner with East Canal Wharf where the northernmost end of the Glam. C.R. terminated.

If those houses were standing today, they'd be in the centre of Callaghan Square.

My interest in the Glam C.R. stems from a cab ride on the Greenwood & Batley battery loco just before closure - organised by my dad who worked for Cardiff Corporation and the driver, who lived in our street.

Then, I came across an article on the railway  in a mid-60s edition of the Railway Magazine, written by Ian L. Wright.

I think Alan Jarvis may also have photographed the line at times.

The GB battery loco (the only loco post 1945)  was scrapped in 1965 by Western Metals, Ferry Road (next door to Bill Way's scrapyard).

Thanks Brian (BT). - Must improve my filing system.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

Indeed Brian R. Now, I can remember the Custom House PH, but what was the pub on the opposite corner?

Rob

Seconding others comments regarding the link posted by ailg8048. Some lovely photos there, thinking of potential layout schemes but have enough projects as it is.

Maybe one day those old Airfix 16t minerals will find a use after all.

Edited by Wayne 37901

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Brian. Had a few pints of dark in there. Anyone remember Brains giving out cards featuring every Brains pub and you visited as many as you could....

Rob