Portwey

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Julian,

This is a fantastic piece of work especially when you realise how small a space it has been done in.  I am now at the stage of designing a new layout and 'Portwey' has certainly given me  a few ideas.  I am looking forward to what you do next.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Julian,

This is a fantastic piece of work especially when you realise how small a space it has been done in.  I am now at the stage of designing a new layout and 'Portwey' has certainly given me  a few ideas.  I am looking forward to what you do next.

Regards,

Alex.

I have to echo the comments made by Alex and others on here. I've seen a 6 foot 6" flush door in a junk shop for a £5 and a slightly longer scenic area could allow for a short run round loop on the inside platform.

Your layout is simple, yet full of atmosphere in such a small space. I shall follow the updates with interest.

Regards,

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Thought RM Web readers might be interested in my latest OO layout, "Portwey", which was shown at the Weston-super-Mare exhibition on Jan 12. The layout is very loosely "inspired" by Weymouth (what, in 4ft???), but only in that there's an island platform, a canopy over it plus a row of terraced houses on the backscene! The overall dimensions are 49" x 10.5", narrowing to 7" wide towards the scenic break and the integral FY. The scenic section is just 30" long. Track is C&L, with 3 Peco code 75 turnouts and a sole Peco set-track point in the FY. I use Spratt & Winkle couplings on freight stock so there are under-track magnets a-plenty on the layout. Operation is basically a single ex-GWR railcar (Lima) or a

14XX/autocoach shuttling into Platform #1 (nearest the backscene), with freight wagons being shuffled, as per an "Inglenook" shunting game, for some variety, on the other tracks and using Platform #1 when the passenger service is in the FY. Other motive power used is a Hornby M7, Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2 and a couple of Panniers. The canopy is Dapol (still with Airfix embossing on the ends), whilst the building underneath is detailed Superquick, off their island platform kit. The actual station building is merely shown on the bachscene as a paste-on (Brian Sherrif) building. The signal box, in (extremely) low relief is scratch built and is based on the austerity, wartime box at Portland station. The lattice signal is Ratio, with MSE white metal finials. I've added shunting discs to the signal's platform, as the run-round loop is assumed to be where the FY is located, beyond the scenic break. Hope it might inspire a few others - you really don't need much space in which to build a very viable, operationally worthwhile layout, I reckon. 'Hope the late Carl Arendt would approve. I'm going to try to attach some photos to show the layout minus stock: I'm not hopefull I'm up to the task though, despite looking at the guidnace on RM Web.I can (try to) add some more if anyone is interested. Comments always welcome. Thanks.

We attended the Nailsea Model Railway show on the 16/3/14 and was impressed by the design of the layout.  It was demonstrated to us and we were impressed by the scenery.

Many thanks for all your kind comments, folks, including those from my esteemed fellow micro layout builder, Mr Tailby. Really gratifying to know the layout may have inspired a few of you to have a go. Yes, it did the Nailsea show last weekend and it's booked for two more shows this year: Dave and Marcus' Exmoor Coast Railway Modellers show at Minehead on August 2 and another one in the west country not so long after Easter - more details on RM web soon, once it's all finalised. Thanks again and kind regards to all RM Web'ers who may read this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

it's booked for two more shows this year: Dave and Marcus' Exmoor Coast Railway Modellers show at Minehead on August 2 and another one in the west country not so long after Easter - more details on RM web soon, once it's all finalised.

Well, 'it can now be revealed'...!  ;)  - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83750-rmweb-members-day-at-taunton-2014-full-line-up-announced/

I'm really looking forward to seeing it, small is indeed beautiful!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking little layout Julian :)
Can't believe I missed this thread :O

I'd echo the compliments on the design
I really like it
I particularly like the use of the very short radius Y point
- half underneath the bridge, disguising its' diminutive size

..... very neat

Lovely work in such a small area too - and plenty of scope for operation
another Julian masterpiece, methinks
Looking forward to seeing it at Taunton

Cheers again
Marc

• 3 weeks later...

Too kind, too kind, Martyn! At least it worked pretty much as-intended at the SAWG "do". Which said, my attempts at using an M7 and an Ivatt 2-6-2 to shunt some wagons fitted with Spratt and Winkles proved that such locos have just tooooo much overhang for Peco's small radius turnouts. Result - de railed wagons. I'll stick with the Pannier, I think.. it's safer that way!

Given what you done, I don't think that anyone can say, 'I don't have enough room for a OO gauge layout. Not even those who live on narrow boats!

Excellent work, your backscene blew my mind away, at the Taunton event. Simplicity but stunning result.

Julie

Edited by Steam_Julie

I'm so glad to have seen this layout in the flesh, at the SWAG do, in Taunton last weekend
It looks even better than it does in the photos
but it's even more amazing that it looks smaller in real life, than it does in the pics too

You've got a lot of detail in there Julian
I think this is your best layout yet :)

Marc

Hi Julian,

Would just like to say what a Truly Superb layout Portwey is and to achieve such a nostalgic atmosphere in such a compact layout is Quite something. what is next for Portwey .. any new stock items?.

Best Wishes

Dan :)  

P.s I know its cheeky .. but anymore pictures?

Edited by Dannyboy2891

Have to say that having seen this at SWAG last week it has spurred the grey matter into motion... thanks Julian!

An excellent essay in small layout building.

• 3 weeks later...

The more I examine the pictures of the backscene on Portwey, the more impressed I am. Julian has applied a very simple technique, but the way he has composed the final image is exquisit.

The technique uses a series of images taken using a digital camera, and then uses them to create a photo montarge. He has taken great care in the composition to get the final result. The cutting out of the images is flawless and the degree of deph acheived is outstanding.

And finally there is no visiable glue or smuging to detract from the final effect.

Julie

PS you have provided me with inspiration.

The backscene is not done with any clever digital photo images, believe me! It's just plain 'ole ancient Brian Sherrif printed backscenes (from the ever excellent Freestone Model Accessories), carefully cut out and overlapped, with the gaps covered up with the Townscene "Farthingwood" trees, again with as much cut out from the printed sky on the pare as I can, to make them a bit "feathery". 'Wish I could do better but, hey ho, this was supposed to be a quick layout project. Which it really wasn't, in the end. I think I lost the will to live after making up and painting that Ratio signal, which I detailed with a few bits of wire, some Dart Castings ground discs and some LSWR finial castings...and never believe anyone who says that those Airfix/Dapol plafom canopies "go together in minutes". They don't. They really don't. Lots of bad language involved there....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...