Melyn Valley Railway

Andrew Young

• RMweb Gold

Dave Canon used the same basicplan for a shunting layout. It is in small layouts two. Dave had no fiddle yard he identified three positions on one siding and 4 on the other. The headshunts were tight a loco and one wagon i think . There were 7 wagons on the  layout. & hooks above the siding positions a card for each wagon shuffle them and hang one on each hook then re-arrange the wagons to match the cards. Great fun. Sadly Dave fell victim to Cancer soon after I saw the layout at Lydney.

Actually there is a very limited range of ways to connect 4 turnouts. It is surprising though how different the treatments can be.

Don

Back home now after three days playing with this wee beastie amongst the first bluebells of the season.

post-11098-0-49388800-1429193236_thumb.jpg

The trains were well loaded, staggered Easter holidays helping along with the good weather.

Made for a decent view from the office, seen here rounding Amen Corner on the Extension, rather than the Amen Corner at the Augusta golf course that kept getting mentioned at the weekend.

post-11098-0-47835800-1429193350_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the mention of the other layouts further up the page, have unearthed my copies of the two GOG publications and there are Poorsea by Ken Brennan in volume 1 and Cornish Mineral Line by the late Dave Cannon in volume 2 which I can see resemblances with. Proves it should work nicely then and should help inspire progress.

Found Chesil Exchange on the web, nice little layout by he looks of it, though with six points rather than four, quite a bit more track.

Have been in the attic since returning home this morning, still happy with the plan so looks like I'll have to start making some proper track to replace the paper stuff...

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Getting to the point... at last!

Recent weeks have seen a number of distractions, resulting in little time for modelling.

Just a couple of days after returning from Tywyn, we were off to a different part of Wales for a long weekend in Pembrokeshire with my girlfriend's Uni friends. We were blessed with great weather which made for some nice walking conditions round some of the Coastal Path.

post-11098-0-91403800-1430940034_thumb.jpg

The following weekend saw us in Shropshire for the wedding of two Talyllyn friends. In between the important business of the ceremony, eating, drinking and dancing to a seriously good soul band, there was time for cricket on the lawn. Here the bride is about to receive the first delivery from her new husband.

post-11098-0-78407400-1430940203_thumb.jpg

Following this was the Bank Holiday just gone, spent in Tywyn for the first event to celebrate Talyllyn 150. After the rain of Saturday and Sunday, Monday started off under glorious blue skies showing the Cumberland pair's matching liveries off to good effect.

post-11098-0-52392600-1430940324_thumb.jpg

And we had great fun recreating the past.

post-11098-0-22519500-1430940364_thumb.jpg

Some more photos can be found on my Flickr page. https://www.flickr.com/photos/pandaonetwofive/sets/72157650076543993/

Finally, this afternoon after work saw a return to some modelling! Started building my first point using C&L components. I've cheated and bought a pre-made crossing vee and machined blades and actually found the task very therapeutic. Aided by various articles on RMWeb about building track work and an article in The Gazette by Bob Alderman on using C&L components.

post-11098-0-65398300-1430940577_thumb.jpg

More to follow!

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 9

DLT, any time you are down please do pop around. There is a new turntable installed which you me be interested in that was not fitted when you visited last year.

Infact any one visiting Pembrokeshire is welcome.

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 1

The second Mystery of the (modelling) Orient has now been unravelled, after the carpentry bits, have successfully completed my first point.

post-11098-0-47580300-1431091191_thumb.jpg

Took a couple of short after work modelling stints and this morning to complete, suspect that with practice, the next one will take less time!

Rather enjoyed the experience and wasn't as fiddly as I thought it would be, though I did cheat and buy in the finished crossing vee and blades from C&L, but I'm happy with that.

If you look closely, there are a couple of chairs on the wrong way round, but I can live with that and will make sure the weeds are growing well in that area!

post-11098-0-51446800-1431091382_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-89981900-1431091413_thumb.jpg

A word about my tie bars. Decided against the really fiddly ones that look more authentic (will be plenty of grass and weeds after all!) and opted for a design that's more function over form and is a variant of the type used on the 7mmNGA Trent Valley Group's layout.

post-11098-0-66477700-1431091526_thumb.jpg

First cut a piece of 4mm scale copper clad sleeper strip (3.3 x 1.6mm) to length, drill two holes 0.65mm diameter the correct distance apart for the switch blades (28mm in this case) and a third central one as a pilot hole for a drive pin. Take two brass lace making pins (this pack came from Hobbeycraft rather than pinch them from my Mum's lacemaking basket) and insert through the holes, snipping the pointy ends off and bending through 90 degrees.

post-11098-0-61305300-1431091716_thumb.jpg

Solder the pins to the inside edges of the switch blades like so.

post-11098-0-98144400-1431091760_thumb.jpg

The theory is that this way avoids the usual stress points of copper lad tie bars where the soldered joint is trying to twist, the pin heads held captive in the holes doing the twisting and the soldered joints of the pin and rail are free from this stress.

Next up is more track making and dismantling the boards for painting in primer, should keep me out of mischief for a little while. Following that, it'll be time to tackle the third Mystery of the (Modelling) Orient- Electrickery! Though think I've got the hang of the rudimentary basics of Digital Control...

post-11098-0-81553500-1431091993_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Been nearly a month since the last update and I've been busy, but sadly not all model making. After the last update, the boards were dismantled, the underneath and ends primed to seal them and the ends painted black. These were set aside to dry properly whilst we went off for a week's ditch crawling.

post-11098-0-55021500-1433272456_thumb.jpg

Our relaxing week on the Llangollen, Montgomery & Shropshire Union canals became a lot less relaxing on the Thursday when my girlfriend's mother lost her footing whilst opening a lock gate resulting in a nasty 10ft drop onto concrete ending up unconscious in the canal.... Following a trip in the Midlands Air Ambulance and five days in Stoke Hospital, she is making a good recovery from the broken wrist, ribs, cuts and bruises back home in Tywyn now. Thankfully, Stoke Hospital is only half an hour's drive from here so family members were able to stay at ours and visit the hospital.

Their return to Tywyn coincided with my long weekend off, part of which was already planned to be spent in Tywyn, so we spent longer there than planned, but glad to say that everything is starting to return to normal. Plus I've now got a few weeks at home now without going away.

The weekend did involve two days enjoying the sunshine driving Talyllyn No 7, couldn't resist taking my usual 'office view photo'

post-11098-0-34032200-1433272840_thumb.jpg

One of my fellow volunteers took this nice one of me trundling down through Tadpole Cutting, makes a change to photos taken by me!

post-11098-0-69144200-1433272993_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, back home and back to modelling. Before going away, enough track components were ordered to build the track needed for the layout and these have arrived. Today, the boards were re-erected in the attic and track templates for the main running lines were glued down and the point I had built was glued in place. Seen here being weighted down with my piece of Glyn Valley rail amongst other things.

post-11098-0-26633300-1433273151_thumb.jpg

More track laying tomorrow after work. Progress should be a bit more rapid now.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear of the poor ladie's accident. We have walked the bits of canal around Ellesmere a couple of times a nice canal. However the photo from No 7's Cab makes me very jealous. I have enjoyed the same view from Dolgoch and would love to do so again. Sadly I could not tempt Marion with a bungalow at Tywyn so have to make do with the WSR (haven't driven on there)

Don

• Like 1

Thanks both, was a perfect day for enjoying the Fathew Valley. I'm pleased to say also that the patient is making good progress with her recovery.

In between shifts this last week has seen some more time spent on track work with slow but steady progress. A second point has been made (two down, two to go!) and has been fixed to the boards along with the plain track in between and the plain track going on to the off stage quarry area.

If I'd have used Peco, would've been all laid by now! But there wouldn't be as much fun in that as I'm rather enjoying the challenge of building the stuff, albeit glad that I've not got more to do!

Also, couldnt have used the 1:4 crossing vees which save so much space over the Peco points, which I'm pleased to say, the 6w siphon has successfully been prodded through several times and is happy with my point work.

Sadly, ran out of time before work to attach some Electrickery and see something round, that'll have to wait til tomorrow!

post-11098-0-70334000-1433854145_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-69667000-1433854165_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-80975100-1433854185_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 9

There might only be just over two feet of track between the points...

The NCE Powercab might have been Hotwired to those rails (with the aid of insulation tape!)...

I might have had to read the manual over breakfast to see how to work it...

But... We have the first powered movement!

Gave both the Ixion Fowler and Hudswell Clarke a run, the Hudswell starring in the video. (Shot on my iPhone and the light isn't best up there mind)

Might not be much, but helps spur me on to build the rest of the track.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 4

Fantastic when you get the first movement across your newly built track isn't it?

I'm nicking your idea with the copperclad/dress pins for the tie bars, as it allows the rail to flex as it wants. Hope you don't mind?

Great progress Andrew

Jinty ;)

Fantastic when you get the first movement across your newly built track isn't it?I'm nicking your idea with the copperclad/dress pins for the tie bars, as it allows the rail to flex as it wants. Hope you don't mind?Great progress AndrewJinty ;)

Thanks Jinty, yes it is a good feeling, especially as it's the first time for me on a home layout since my train set as a kid!

Feel free to pinch the idea, I cannot claim any originality in the idea as I got it from someone else.

Cheers,

Andrew

Just caught up on your progress. It's looking good and the sound added that extra.

Ken

Thanks Ken, I used to be very sceptical about sound, but mainly through many chats with Paul Martin of EDM, have come to realise that set up properly, it can add to the realism. Plenty to play around with once the track laying is finished.

Cheers,

Andrew

Track laying continues steadily, but rather than bore you with more track photos, have also been doing some other stuff over the weekend.

Model shows always serve to inspire me to get back to the modelling desk, Saturday was the Annual 7mm NGA Convention just down the road in Burton. One of the few shows I always attend, though more enjoyable (and relaxed) this year as not organiser any more.

Two favourites were Caldon Low. Didn't know this layout existed, but nice to see this railway brought to life having seen several grainy photos of the line in some of my North Staffs books. Built to the correct 24.5mm gauge, here's Bobs and Frog outside the shed.

post-11098-0-13730400-1434490201_thumb.jpg

The other was Up The Line, very atmospheric and shows that good layouts don't have to be true to scale gauge wise... Running as it does on Peco 16.5 track, food for thought.

post-11098-0-48067500-1434490302_thumb.jpg

There were others that appealed too and certainly aided the modelling since.

Sunday was Dad's birthday, so time was taken to enjoy Dad's garden railway (and Mum's roast dinner...)

Dad's Lady Ann amongst the geraniums.

post-11098-0-32398800-1434490396_thumb.jpg

And my Darj train took a turn or two.

post-11098-0-69953700-1434490695_thumb.jpg

Back to the track laying now, before the Exhibition Inspiration wears off!

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Still making slow but steady progress on the track work. A few days off saw some more progress, but a driver cancelling his visit fairly late on meant I spent a couple of days playing with these two antique kettles.

post-11098-0-14456500-1435442281_thumb.jpg

A couple of days away from the train set did give some thinking time to assess what I'd done, the result being as I feared, a case of two steps forward and one step back... My use of 1:4 points and a New Radnor-esque approach to the station was risky and proved to me to be too tight a radius on what is the main line. The result was chiseling up a portion of track that I'd laid, re-timbering the chiseled point and building one of the points as a 'Y' to improve the approach. Building a 'Y' point on nothing more than a Timbertracks sleeper printout proved quite a challenge! Whilst no self respecting p-way engineer will lose any sleep over my efforts, as they say in the Titfield Thunderbolt, "she'll do!!"

This is the state of play this evening.

post-11098-0-42803800-1435442615_thumb.jpg

After a morning in the garden, the afternoon was spent in the rather warm attic before heading to our local for a couple of glasses of refreshing Perry!

With the exception of the last few inches to where the cassette deck will be, the main chaired track is complete, quite a treck and several times I've wished I'd used Peco!! But that wouldn't have the same sense of achievement.... It's not perfect, particularly the loop, but my test wagons run through it all. The most ragged bits on the loop (particulalrly the sleepers) will be hidden by lots of undergrowth as befits a light railway!

What's missing are the two sidings. I have a cunning plan for these.... They will be flat bottom rail, as though the mainline has been relaid, but not the sidings. I worked out that if I laid the C&L chaired track on the thin 1.6mm sleepers and the Karlgarin flat bottomed rail spiked to the thicker 3mm sleepers then they'd work out at near enough the same height, joined together by some C&L fishplates filed and scraped to form joggle plates.

It will look something like this and is the next challenge!

post-11098-0-85854000-1435443093_thumb.jpg

The flat bottomed rail challenge should keep me quiet for a while. But keeps my brain ticking over!

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update, however, nothing to report on the track front.

Last weekend was the big Talyllyn 150 Party and a group of us chose the week leading up to it as our annual week together. The sun shone for most of the week and I've never seen the Talyllyn so busy as I have last weekend, there were people everywhere!

I even got to drive 'The Sesquicentenarian' special on Friday, marking 150 years since the Talyllyn Railway Act was passed. Special guests were Talyllyn Members Timothy West and Prunella Scales, here's a photo of me hobnobbing with the stars taken by local photographer Darren Turner.

post-11098-0-69245200-1436467687_thumb.jpg

Some of my photos from the week can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pandaonetwofive/sets/72157655162781459

By the time we returned home on Sunday, my ankle had swollen badly, a visit to the doctor on Monday morning confirmed that a graze to my ankle from scrambling on the rocks on Tywyn beach fetching a beach cricket ball (it was a glorious lofted drive!) and a large number of insect bites had got infected. Thankfully, my ankle is responding well to the antibiotics and the swelling is subsiding.

Whilst off work, my ankle hasn't been up to climbing in the attic and working on the track stood up. After a couple of days watching Wimbledon, it's been good enough to sit at my modelling desk. To hand was this kit, so made a start on my first piece of passenger rolling stock:

post-11098-0-93372000-1436468217_thumb.jpg

Bought a few years ago at Guildex and been in the cupboard since, thought it would make an ideal carriage for a light railway.

So, settled down with plenty of tea, Test Match Special on the radio, fired up the soldering iron and now have something looking like this:

post-11098-0-22942000-1436468359_thumb.jpg

Turns out I don't pick the easiest of kits.... But having managed butt soldering thin half etched sides and ends complete with tumble home, maybe I've got the knack of this soldering lark?!

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 4

The coach is looking rather quaint, and well put together.

Sorry to hear about the ankle, nasty blighters these Welsh insects are!!!!

Hope it mends quickly, as you'll need somewhere to run your coach ;)

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty.

The coach has come out better and squarer than I'd expected so rather pleased with it. A quaint little thing at a 37' long bogie coach.

The ankle is mending well thanks, antibiotics course ends on Sunday and hopefully back at work next week so hopefully get in the attic soon.

Cheers,

Andrew