Melyn Valley Railway

Andrew Young

Hi Andrew

I have never seen that happen to any of our castings before. I do know that UV light can affect the unpainted castings but this normally makes the brittle. I have seen one or two castings sag when first out of the mould this can normally be remedied by placing them on a flat piece of glass. The plastic we use is a thermo plastic so will bend with extreme heat. Was the wagon left in a hot room?  I have used really hot water to square up some castings that have twisted. However I have never seen a wagon bend post build. You could try putting a hairdryer on it and propping the side apart. 

Marc

Furness Railway Wagon Co

Thanks, will give the hair dryer a go.

No extreme temperatures, been out of direct sunlight as the blind's been down in the study since I built it and we've not had the heating on yet. The body sides do feel quite brittle too so not wanting to try too much force on it.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have never seen that happen to any of our castings before. I do know that UV light can affect the unpainted castings but this normally makes the brittle. I have seen one or two castings sag when first out of the mould this can normally be remedied by placing them on a flat piece of glass. The plastic we use is a thermo plastic so will bend with extreme heat. Was the wagon left in a hot room?  I have used really hot water to square up some castings that have twisted. However I have never seen a wagon bend post build. You could try putting a hairdryer on it and propping the side apart. 

Marc

Furness Railway Wagon Co

Hi all,

Great Thread.

I was going to suggest a hairdryer too - played lightly over the casting and then, very gently bend the sides back into shape.

I would suggest that heat was the initial cause - with careful working it should go back into shape though.

Kindest regards,

CME

Thanks to those who suggested using a hairdryer, with my better half was safely at work, I've used the hair dryer and managed to straighten the sides back to an acceptable (if not perfect) straightness.

The only damage is that the styrene floor didn't like it, but a sanding down and a fresh piece of planked styrene should solve that and then a quick coat of primer before anything else happens!

Cheers,

Andrew

Glad it worked. I can send you a new floor if you want?

Marc

Thanks for the offer, but a piece of planked styrene is already in place!

The kit came with a resin floor, but that was considerably over sized, only took a few minutes to knock a styrene one up.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks gents.

Some more progress to report. In addition to getting on with a few jobs round the house, I've been making some progress with the coach and also been up in the attic laying some more track.

Spiking flat bottom rail is like many other things in life, a knack. One which causes you a lot of cursing whilst you get the knack then seems relatively straight forward after. So yesterday's initial track laying was met by lots of cursing. However, this morning, a steady session aided by some suitably relaxing music has seen nearly half the first siding laid. Have to admit, I do prefer the flimsy look of the F/B rail more than the bullhead, more in keeping with what I'm trying to achieve.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Lined up against the MW, there's more of a tramway air about the place than a Light Railway, maybe the MVR will evolve into the MVT? Who knows?!

The ankle is well on the mend, and I'm off the antibiotics. There will be more track laying tomorrow, but first, a drink or two in Burton beckons this afternoon...

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Do you want another Selsey coach kit?   A friend of mine has one for sale.

Cheers, Dave

Some more progress to report, plus naturally a photo from another day out....

Last weekend was the Talyllyn AGM weekend and the last gala event of the season. I spent the weekend staying clean for once in the Blockposts and enjoying some superb sunny weather.

Saturday was spent at Brynglas, where thanks to the Chief Signalling Inspector coming to inspect me, I got to take this whilst he threw some tokens about.

post-11098-0-05769100-1443858892_thumb.jpg

The AGM was held this year in Tywyn Cinema, with some very drinkeable Butty Bach to wash the proceedings down with. After the business was done, we settled down to some films including Railway with a Heart of Gold and Titfield Thunderbolt on the big screen, not seen either on the big screen before so very enjoyable. Though the poster for one of their forthcoming releases made me chuckle in its timing...

post-11098-0-82421900-1443859338_thumb.jpg

Sunday was spent up at Abergynolwyn, first time I've worked Aber in a while, great fun, especially having coffee on tap!

post-11098-0-57958900-1443859352_thumb.jpg

Back to modelling. Sadly the wagon, despite being primed and kept in a cool place has warped again. Have just about had enough of this kit now!!!! Fecking thing.

post-11098-0-79982900-1443858908_thumb.jpg

On the plus side, the carriage is coming along nicely... Starting to try making the paintwork look a little faded. I was unhappy with the roof initially, but yesterday's task was adding a layer of tissue paper and I'm much happier with it now.

post-11098-0-87711000-1443858922_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 3

You made a new floor from laminated styrene (I think that's what you said). Is there a chance of solvents or vapours from the laminating or from fixing it in place have caused the warping? I used uhu to secure lead shot inside a 3D printed dome once, never had any trouble with it and 3D prints before, but somehow it made the dome explode - I suspect it formed a skin/seal at the base of the dome so the vapours couldn't diffuse off into the air and the higher than normal concentration had the effect. I wonder if some slightly unusual interaction caused your wagon shape shifting.

Thanks Brack, that's the only conclusion I've been able to come to. Though with the floor sitting on an open framework, there's plenty of space for the fumes to escape rather than building up and warping the body. It's usually trapped fumes in enclosed spaces that causes warping.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hmm, looks like you may have to model this wagon as permanently loaded to keep it square, or tarpaulin covered.

Cheers, Dave.

There's a couple of photos in the book 'Private Owner Wagons of the Cambrian' of an old wagon abandoned in the quarry at Llanymynech disappearing into the brambles which may provide some inspiration....

Cheers,

Andrew

Itd be worth knowing which solvents and adhesives you used though.

I have been keeping watch on the thread for some time - it'll be a very interesting model when finished.

Thanks Brack, I used Dr Mike's cyro super glue for the resin parts and plastic weld for the styrene.

The layout is currently in storage awaiting the house move (which is currently rapidly turning my remaining hair grey!) but there should hopefully be some developments once we're in the new place...

Cheers,

Andrew

What paint did you use on the wagon? I found that enamels and lacquer-based paints tend to make models warp more than fast-drying acrylics.

All it's had so far is a coat of Halfords primer. Been using the stuff for years without any side effects.

Apparently it is an acrylic-based primer too. I prefer to use Tamiya primer. I use the light grey as the fine primer, the red oxide goes on thicker. It remains a mystery to my why some models warp and others don't. All my closed vans I use a heck of a lot of internal extra bracing in the form of 6.35 x 2.5mm styrene beams to prevent warping.

Just a thought Andrew but was the wagon over clamped when the glue was setting?

It looks like the corners joints are dictating the shape.

Seen similar in woodworking.

No clamping involved, the body is a one piece resin casting to which I added detail,etches for the strapping and solebar detail, plus a drop in floor. Underneath, the axle boxes and brake gear are white metal castings which glue on.

Cheers,

Andrew

You may need to put in some cross bracing struts to hold the sides straight then add a permanent coal load.

That's one option. The wagon as modelled was used for ballast and it's my intention to have a quarry line with wagons going one way loaded and the other way empty so being permanently loaded wouldn't work for my layout. It's gone back in the box to await further inspiration...

Cheers,

Andrew