Melyn Valley Railway

Andrew Young

Thanks gents.

Some more progress to report. In addition to getting on with a few jobs round the house, I've been making some progress with the coach and also been up in the attic laying some more track.

Spiking flat bottom rail is like many other things in life, a knack. One which causes you a lot of cursing whilst you get the knack then seems relatively straight forward after. So yesterday's initial track laying was met by lots of cursing. However, this morning, a steady session aided by some suitably relaxing music has seen nearly half the first siding laid. Have to admit, I do prefer the flimsy look of the F/B rail more than the bullhead, more in keeping with what I'm trying to achieve.

post-11098-0-89881400-1436791970_thumb.jpg

Lined up against the MW, there's more of a tramway air about the place than a Light Railway, maybe the MVR will evolve into the MVT? Who knows?!

The ankle is well on the mend, and I'm off the antibiotics. There will be more track laying tomorrow, but first, a drink or two in Burton beckons this afternoon...

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 13

Tramway sound nice there is not a lot of difference between some light railways and tramways.

Don

True Don! In theory there's continuous brakes, facing point locking, signals and block working to differentiate the two. But in practice, just because it was fitted doesn't mean it was used!

Cheers,

Andrew

The spiked track looks great and just right for a light railway.  Did you have spiking tool or is it just patience and a good set of pliers?

Ken

Ken,

I have use of a pair of 'Spike Insertion Pliers' made in America by Micro Mark. Essentially, they're a pair of pliers with a 'T' shaped groove cut in the nose to grip the spike.

The tools used are shown here:

post-11098-0-94591000-1436976642_thumb.jpg

The order of work I've followed is:

1. Glue template to board.

2. Glue sleepers to template.

3. Once dry, lay out first rail by eye.

4. Drill 0.5mm diameter pilot holes for spikes. (An Archimedes screw type drill was recommended to me for this and has proved worth its weight in gold!)

5. Trim the heads of the spikes with the end cutters (I do them in batches) so they sit snugly against the foot of the rail.

6. Insert spikes with pliers.

7. Hammer home spikes with hammer and punch.

8. Align second rail using roller gauges (with care, the C&L ones can be used).

9. Repeat steps 4 to 7 with rail held to gauge.

10. Repeat Ad Nauseum until all rail is laid.

For fishplates, I've trimmed C&L ones to act as joggle plates where it meets the bullhead rail and fettled the rail head with a needle file to achieve as level a rail head as I can. For fishplates between two lengths of flat bottomed rail, I've used the 3D printed ones sold by Zamzoodled designed for the lighter section rail and they seem to work so far, but then the spikes do hold the rail very tightly to the sleeper.

Glad that I'm nearing the end of this track laying session, although a short section compared to some layouts, it does seem to have taken an age! I'm pleased with the results though and once you get into the swing of it, a couple of hours with some relaxing music is quite therapeutic! Plus, having the board height at 4ft ish, not too back breaking either.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 3

Those pliers sound a useful piece of kit.  There used to be a Kaydee spiking tool rather like a staple gun but I think they went out of production some years ago.  I must admit, I cheat by using copperclad, soldering the rail to it and disguising it all with the ballast.

Ken

Those pliers sound a useful piece of kit. There used to be a Kaydee spiking tool rather like a staple gun but I think they went out of production some years ago. I must admit, I cheat by using copperclad, soldering the rail to it and disguising it all with the ballast.

Ken

Ken,

The Kadee tool sounds good, the pliers are very time consuming though I do like the look of the track it produces. I'm also impressed by the strength of the grip the spikes have on the rail, by no means inferior to soldered joints.

Oh and calling Kadee Kaydee makes Mr Martin very angry...

Cheers,

Andrew

No modelling today, instead, I've been out enjoying the sunny weather at Foxfield. It's their gala this weekend and the visiting loco is 'Wissington'. Having a full size version of the Ixion Hudswell Clarke less than half an hour's drive away was too much to resist!!

Also had a ride on the Knotty Train, very suitable for such a line as the Foxfield. Chance to ride again behind 'Bellerophon'. A lovely antique kettle, the lack of even a kit in 7mm scale is disappointing. An ideal prototype for thae nice Mr Klein to produce...?

A couple of photos from this morning...

post-11098-0-55356700-1437239821_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-37486400-1437239836_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-38027800-1437239848_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 11

No modelling today, instead, I've been out enjoying the sunny weather at Foxfield. It's their gala this weekend and the visiting loco is 'Wissington'. Having a full size version of the Ixion Hudswell Clarke less than half an hour's drive away was too much to resist!!

Also had a ride on the Knotty Train, very suitable for such a line as the Foxfield. Chance to ride again behind 'Bellerophon'. A lovely antique kettle, the lack of even a kit in 7mm scale is disappointing. An ideal prototype for thae nice Mr Klein to produce...?

A couple of photos from this morning...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

The Hudswell Clarke is very nice, but could do with some weathering to make it look more realistic.

• Like 1

The well tank looks like a interesting prototype. It might be something we might be interested in producing a kit for it to add to our growing loco portfolio if there is enough demand. 

Marc

• Like 2

Rather belatedly, some more photos from Foxfield are on my Flickr page:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/pandaonetwofive/sets/72157654095938074/

The delay in uploading (and the lack of modelling last week) has been due to enjoying the second week of my summer leave. We borrowed my parents' camper van and headed north for the week.

Mostly spent exploring the Northumberland Coast, the view overlooking the coast and Holy Island at Beal was particularly impressive.

post-11098-0-93163200-1438025070_thumb.jpg

Nearby, think we stumbled across Minerva Models' northern hideaway...

post-11098-0-54696400-1438025154_thumb.jpg

There were also plenty of Castles, including this one at Bamburgh (didn't there used to be a railway near there...)

post-11098-0-43122700-1438025252_thumb.jpg

Touring southwards, we spent an excellent day at Beamish, a fantastic living museum, plenty of inspiration.

post-11098-0-24422300-1438025417_thumb.jpg

Found a couple of wonderfully weird machines and will have to return when they're in steam.

post-11098-0-56472900-1438025579_thumb.jpg

Spent a moment or two drooling over a couple of machines next door which won't steam for a little while.

post-11098-0-70479500-1438025692_thumb.jpg

Squeezed in some steam with a visit to a different TR, the Tanfield Railway. A cracking run behind 'Sir Cecil A Cochrane' and a look round the atmospheric Marley Hill shed.

post-11098-0-29324100-1438025869_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-47735900-1438025917_thumb.jpg

Our final stop was a night in Masham, The Black Sheep Brewery providing just as adept at fine food as well as fine ale, followed the following morning by heading home the scenic way and the ghosts of reservoir builders in Colsterdale and Nidderdale.

post-11098-0-16904000-1438026257_thumb.jpg

It's back home, back to work and back to the modelling bench.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 10

Brack, correct. As the North Sunderland Railway was struggling to attract enough investors at the time, my suspicion is that the proposal for an extension to Bamburgh may well have been intended as a carrot to attract Lord Armstrong of Bamburgh Castle to invest in the line, which he subsequently did.

There's an excellent Oakwood Press book on the line, my holiday reading was chosen carefully with our tour in mind...

post-11098-0-55606100-1438100125_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bamburgh didn't have a railway, though the north Sunderland railway had proposed an extension from sea houses to bamburgh. 

They got as far as naming a loco after it....

Yes DLT, I wonder whether the naming of the loco was in part an attempt to appeal to Lord Armstrong's generosity?

Brack, yes, was a continuing an interesting relationship between the NSR and Lord Armstrong. Was a very useful, influential and wealthy man to have living just down the road!

Martin, no, not the easiest place to go looking for esoteric railway books! Have quite an extensive collection of Oakwood Press books on the more bucolic lines, bought over the years by rummaging around in various second hand book stalls at exhibitions and on visits to preserved railways. You never know which box might unearth a gem. Think Amazon or ABEBooks are your best bet from afar.

I do rather like the Oakwood books, nicely compact, with plenty of information describing the line, how it was worked and with what stock was used as well as a concise chapter on how the line came about. The size is also just right for slipping into my Talyllyn Rules & Signalling Regs folder when manning a TR signalling shack for the day...

Cheers,

Andrew

Second the recommendation for Abe books.

Get most of my railway reference books from there at reasonable prices..

Best of all they will save your wants and email you when a copy surfaces.

BTW great thread Andrew. Don't stop :).