Melyn Valley Railway

Andrew Young

• RMweb Gold

That's one option. The wagon as modelled was used for ballast and it's my intention to have a quarry line with wagons going one way loaded and the other way empty so being permanently loaded wouldn't work for my layout. It's gone back in the box to await further inspiration...

Cheers,

Andrew

MAke a new body from card?

Don

• RMweb Gold

Andy just a thought re the wagon - what about loaded with parts for the quarry up the line (machinery/parts/supplies in crates maybe?) and then full with stone in reverse? Such a shame it's warped as it looks like it would have made a nice addition to the wagon fleet otherwise!

The coach is looking good now I must say.

Quarry wagons would typically be much lower sided because stone is much heavier than coal or other commodities. Typically 3 or 4-plank wagons.

From photos I've seen, a lot of quarry wagons, particularly granite quarry ones were 2 plank wagons like this one.

Thankfully, there's a lot of local knowledge about resin casting. The most likely cause of the distortion appears to be heat, but goodness knows how as the model hasn't been left anywhere warm and sunny! Must be more temperamental than other resin kits I've had before.

Resin appears to have a 'memory' once distorted and if triggered again, just resorts to the distorted shaped so the only way forward would be to permanently brace it. Trying to do that without being visible will be difficult in a two plank wagon unless it runs round permanently sheeted, however I don't particulalrly like that option, though it's the only one open to me, other than scrapping it and saving some of the bits.

Needless to say, this sorry incident has sapped my modelling mojo the last couple of weeks and there's very little progress being made with the coach currently.

Cheers,

Andrew

For a two-plank wagon, it would be worth building it in strips of scale timber glued together and with some etched brass ironwork, again glued on.

True, might have to investigate rebuilding the body on the rest of the wagon.... Good thinking!

Cheers,

Andrew

Sometimes, there's nothing better than playing trains. Sadly not my layout, nor is it 7mm, but a visit to parents (coinciding with one from the Grandchildren so Dad's got it running) has enabled a chance to run a few trains of Dad's lifelong pursuit of building a model of Harrogate as he remembers it from his youth. Not sure what an Eastern Region Waggon & Mash Railbus is doing in the Leeds bay mind...

post-11098-0-96428700-1444570362_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 9

Been away for a few days this week driving on thd Talyllyn for an end of season finale. Whilst away, had word from the buyer of our house that they want to move in in three weeks time! Relief that all was going well was then overtaken by a slight panic as its so soon!

As a result, modelling is suspended until we're in our new home and I've started packing everything up. I shan't suggest dates for when modelling will resume, but I'm hoping it won't be too long...

But first, the weather in Wales was superb, some photos are up on my Flickr page. https://flic.kr/s/aHskiUWPWn

post-11098-0-63744500-1445115761_thumb.jpg

Cheers,
Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Desert Island Books

Thanks Don, the sale of our house has been completed and we moved out yesterday. We're homeless for about a week all being well and then into our new house. Most of our possessions are in storage, but I have brought a small selection of 'Desert Island Books' with me to my parents and explains some of the interests that inspire my modelling. It took eight weeks from accepting the offer on the house to completing the sale, the result being a few manic weeks of clearing out and packing our stuff up, so looking forward to a more restful week ahead... Before doing it all over again in the new house!

We were planning on moving to a new build house on the edge of Tutbury with a reasonable sized double garage. However, an older house in the heart of Tutbury that I've always rather liked came on the market for the right price at the right time so have gone for that instead, which should cut down on time without a modelling bench from several months to several weeks. Plus, the attic in the new house is considerably bigger than the attic in the old one or the double garage I would've had.... A few ideas for an expanded Melyn Valley Railway are indeed galloping through my mind....

post-11098-0-65644500-1446734125_thumb.jpg

The books are fairly representative of my three main interests / sources of silly ideas:

Light Railways, the Derwent Valley in particular because unlike many others which closed down in the 1930s, the DVLR staggered on into the 80s just about. Who knows, could ballast and milk contracts have meant that the MVR lasted long enough beyond the end of steam.....?

Former Cambrian lines in Mid Wales, the Mawddwy, Kerry and the Tanat Valley in particular. Could the Cambrian have connected up with the MVR, or even opened a branch into parts of the Melyn Valley in competition?

Glyn Valley Tramway, everyone has a guilty pleasure or two. At an early age, the two small green boxy carriages on the TR always fascinated me, with their distinctive smell, varnished interiors and first class seats, they were from the Glyn Valley Tramway, later I found Milner's first book on the line in Nottingham library and saw the distinctive tram locos and I was hooked. Very much the line that got away. Operationally, the GVT was more interesting than the generally one train operation of the TR and the Corris, plus the benefit of both slate and granite workings. Milner's latest book in his series is exquisite and is the period and aspects of the Tramway which interests me the most and this book has been re-read many times since it came out.

Who knows where this will all lead...

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 4

Some interesting choices Andrew. I await the results with interest.

Don

Thanks Don, think I'd describe them as 'eclectic'... Sadly there'll be lots of boxes to unpack before any modelling can be done. But currently enjoying the lull before the storm!

Cheers,

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Afternoon all, time for an update.

We moved into our new house in mid November and have settled in well despite the high winds dislodging some ridge tiles a couple of days after moving in!

No modelling yet, but well on the way. The house is in good shape, but there's three rooms we want to decorate, not hanging around, we've redecorated two of them inside the first month. The third, and biggest, will be tackled in the new year.

The first room to be tackled was our study, all finished, new bookcases and desks have been built so my railway books are all unpacked and the modelling desk is all ready to go now as of yesterday.

In terms of model railway space.... We have a garage, but that'll be good for my home brewing. Being an ex-pub there's a good sized cellar, but being a wet cellar with a very low (under 5ft and I'm 6ft 3) ceiling is better suited to storing wine.

This leaves the attic, which has a proper staircase leading up to it making it very suitable. Total size at 'baseboard level' is about 37ft by 14ft 6! The first 16ftish length has a good floor down, but requires insulating. Beyond that is a brick partition (with door way) and beyond that, the other 21ft although usable, needs a better floor installing, insulating, plus has water tanks, some cumbersome ceiling supports and a second partial brick purlin support in the way.

Initial thoughts of using the entire space have been put on hold as looking at it, the obstacles up there would make building and operating a layout quite challenging! Lyd, the amount of work to get to that stage is quite extensive.

Insulating the 16ft by 14ft 6 part at the top of the stairs is a far simpler task and would give me more than enough space to fill in the medium to long term anyway! Insulating the loft will take place as soon as January's decorating project is complete, which will in itself help spur me on to get the decorating done and shouldn't be too onerous or time consuming a job after which the embryonic layout will be retrieved from storage and progress made.

I'll be back at the modelling desk in the new year building some rolling stock as an antidote to the decorating and updates should reappear.

There won't be any modelling until the New Year as the festive season is filled up with seeing friends and family, eating and drinking fine food and drink and I've sneaked in a driving turn on the Talyllyn on Boxing Day.

Hope you all have a fun festive season and Santa brings plenty of modelling based gifts and I'll see you all in the new year.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Happy New Year all, trust your festive season was like mine? Ate too much and drank just enough! Also, spent Boxing Day having an enjoyable drive in the Welsh countryside on this wee beastie.

post-11098-0-77874900-1453227461_thumb.jpg

By Christmas, the Study was all sorted out, our desks are in place and my modelling desk all set up. The new year has seen our lounge / dining room getting a makeover and plenty of space in the study has got storage in, albeit temporarily. However, I'm still able to get to my modelling desk.

Decided to break myself back in to modelling gently with a spot of wagon bashing. After my disappoint with the resin kit I last built, opted for a very Welsh sounding Slaters kit which went together like a dream.

post-11098-0-00759900-1453227776_thumb.jpg

I've added some liquid lead weight to the underframe of the wagon and added an interior from Poppy's wood tech which makes all the difference. So much, that I'm adding both to my other coal wagon.

It's good to be back.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 8

Nice to see you back. We are also expecting to move but I fear it may be a bit longer before I can get back to modelling.

Don

Thanks Don, good luck with your move!

One advantage of getting the study decorated first is that it means that an hour's modelling can happen once it's too dark for decorating. We're also lucky in that all that's needed is a few / several coats of paint rather than anything more constructional. Jotting it up, by the time this room is finished, we'll have applied something like 55 litres of paint since moving in!

After the lounge is finished, the attic / model railway room is next.... :-)

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

After five days off work when we've broken the back of the decorating thanks to help from my parents, it's back to work this afternoon for a rest.

To keep the modelling ticking along, I'm trying to do a little bit each day, rather than leaving big gaps between sessions. So after a small amount of decorating, there was chance to fit an interior to my Pugh coal wagon before work. Poppy's Wood tech don't make an interior for the Gloucester 5pl, however, after a bit of modification with a scalpel, the 6pl version was made to fit.

post-11098-0-14675500-1453294910_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 9

Rest? Must be the ferry man....

Afraid not, no covering New St for me tonight... 420ish mile Derby-Newcastle-New St-CZ running turn. With an extra return run over the South Staffs thrown in due to a fatality at Tamworth.

After five days decorating, that's a rest for a Derby man!! Comfy seat and plenty of tea.

Cheers,

AYDD

Edited by Andrew Young

And on the seventh day.....

post-11098-0-67548300-1453663861_thumb.jpg

Yesterday saw the decorating finished and the end of a week of late shifts, off work today ahead of a week of early morning shifts so today has been a day of 'rest'. If you can call clearing up the decorating detritus, a tip run, shopping for some light fittings and building three flat pack book cases rest?!! However, now is time to put my feet up with the latest issue of the Review which landed this week and the new MRJ found in Smiths reading room on Derby station yesterday.

Eagle eyed observers will spot that some modelling has taken place too, building another POWsides / Slaters wagon. I do find these a joy to build, fitting together very nicely indeed.

The choice is an apt one as not only is Foxfield just down the A50 from here, but also, in his 'Private Owner Wagons on the Cambrian' book, Mike Lloyd said that there was evidence that at least one Foxfield wagon made it to Towyn in Cambrian days.

The brightly coloured private owner wagons is what enticed me into standard gauge modelling, though after these are finished, think I ought to build something else.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 5

Lotions and Potions.

post-11098-0-84113800-1453926087_thumb.jpg

One bonus of moving house is finding things you'd forgotten you had. In my case it was a bottle of 'Weatherall' potion for ageing wood which I've had for years but not used, until now...

The Foxfield wagon is built and spent an enjoyable couple of hours this afternoon applying the Weatherall to the wooden interiors on all three wagons, touching up paintwork and blackening the couplings and buffers with Birchwood Casey Gun Blue.

Getting towards the finishing stage now.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 7

Had an enjoyable day at our TVAG Members Day at Mickleover on Saturday. Lots of chatting and tea drinking, plus beer and a curry!

Having had our usual delivery method disrupted by the decorating (using one of my employer's tin rockets to take me to the York Tap and back), I took delivery of my Minerva Peckett on Saturday and very nice it is too! I spent a happy hour driving EDM's demonstration one up and down the test track whilst chewing the cud. As someone who drives the real thing, I'm very impressed with the new style DCC set up and expect I will be calling on Paul to re-programme my other Locos to suit.

Here's my Peckett dwarfing a fellow member of the Quarry Company's fleet:

post-11098-0-05408700-1454330917_thumb.jpg

The Peckett is a bit of a luxury as its a tad too large for my means, however, as Tutbury Plaster Mill, the site of which is a stones throw from here had a pair of Pecketts into the 1960s, one was on my wants list and this seemed far more practical a proposition than building an etched kit of one. I resisted the temptation of a shiny brass done from Paul, as my loco will end up too dirty for such things. However, whilst looking at them, I spotted that EDM sell very nice brass castings of L&B style headlamps, a packet duly purchased.

The MVR is a law abiding (ish) line and has Westinghouse fitted locos and passenger stock, so no reason not to include head and tail lamps. I find lamps on models in the wrong places as annoying as not having any lamps at all (I know I'm a pedant) so this morning, a couple of holes drilled in the casting and a loop of .45mm wire inserted and 'Fair Isle' now has a head lamp.

post-11098-0-32581200-1454331225_thumb.jpg

The last few days has also seen the coal waggons finished off. Think it was four coats of Weatherall ahd then my usual dry brushing approach to weathering and they're finished, there's almost enough for a goods train now.

post-11098-0-53953700-1454331332_thumb.jpg

I'm particularly pleased with the Poppy's Woodtech interiors and the way the Weathering potion and some dry brushing has brought out the detail.

post-11098-0-56047800-1454331408_thumb.jpg

Apologies about the less than perfect photos, they were taken on my iPhone and the lighting is less than ideal up there at the moment.

Eagle eyed viewers will notice that I've retrieved the layout from storage and set it up in the attic, even though I haven't insulated the attic yet. This was to see how it fits and firm up some of the ideas I've been having for how to progress. The layout giving a far better idea than my elastic tape measure! Though I'm not going to progress the layout until I've insulated the attic, but it has given me a good idea of what I want to achieve.

The original idea was for this layout to be portable and exhibitable. Now though, it will form part of a home based layout and be extended in stages at both ends.

My reasoning for this is that I prefer operating at home than exhibitions, with working shifts and having other interests and commitments, I hardly have any free complete weekends to attend exhibitions for more than a part day visit and also, you can't fit much layout in my VW Golf!

Having said that, I'm not ruling out the possibility that some parts of the layout may be built so they can be exhibited, it will be built so it's relatively easy to dismantle rather than being completely fixed. Home operation is my priority, though I'm never saying never to exhibiting if it's feasible.

There is a plus side. My modelling interests are varied and include industrial, narrow gauge and ex-Cambrian, Central Wales division Western as well as light railways. There's a distinct probability that as the stages unfold, I should be able to incorporate elements of all four...

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young
  • Like 9

With the goods wagons complete and an hour or so free today before going to work this evening, I've started the next project.

Those with long memories might remember a Selsey carriage being built before the move. It's safe and sound in the paint shop for now and will be completed once the rest of the passenger carriages (both of them) have been built and they can be finished at the same time.

One benefit of a home layout rather than an exhibition layout is that I can be more prototypical in that a railway like the MVR would only have one passenger set, and one set of carriages it shall have! Rather than the need for several sets to keep exhibition visitors happy.

Nice as the Connoisseur NER and Slaters GWR & MR carriages are, they appear a lot and I fancied something a little different. The solution to carriage No 2 was found in a visit to fellow 7mm NGA TVAG member Phil Traxson (Port Wynnstay Models) workshop where I spied some Rother Valley Carriage sides and ends which were a private commission, of which I was able to purloin a couple of test castings.

post-11098-0-32711300-1454424981_thumb.jpg

Added to this, I'd been fortunate a while back to find some ancient issues of Model Railway News containing drawings for Light Railway prototypes, including this carriage and there are some photos in John Scotf-Morgan's book on the KESR.

For the running gear, I will be using parts from a Slaters MR wagon chassis kit, plus Phil came up with some suitable axle boxes and brake gear.

Not having had great success at drilling out axle boxes in the past and preferring the robustness of the Slaters design, the photo below shows the resin carriage springs spliced into the Slaters axle box.

post-11098-0-02103600-1454425225_thumb.jpg

Next step is to get the styrene out and build the chassis and the main body parts.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 8