New Farish products for 2014/2015

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

A couple of predictions

NO Stanier 8F- despite a good amount of commonality with the WD it isn't in the OO range.

NO K3- Bachmann's reps have been falling over themselves at shows to tell me it is their worst seller in OO

NO class 52- Dapol's is too recent.

As to what WILL be announced- I'm happy to wait and see.

All the very best

Les

Nor is the Merchant Navy--yet! (in OO.)

I'd expect the shrink ray to reach some of Bachmanns recent releases, so a 'C' isn't beyond the realms of possibility this year now that the 4F is imminent, especially given the foaming at the mouth that the SECR livery example commanded. After seeing their 4F I would love to see the 3F done to the same standard, although I'm more than happy with the existing UM model after a bit of work and Bachmann do shy away from repetition of existing models. With the tender basically there I wouldn't be surprised to see the 7F at some point, and a return to the GF stable of the Compound would be most welcome. Thompson coaches are pretty much a nailed on cert being as the other 3 regions are covered, if not all yet available, but the Hawksworths ongoing development will probably push any thought of Thompsons to next year more than this year thinking realistically about it. Portholes and/or P2 LMS coaches would do me nicely though if the shrink ray wanted to look that way...

??? I don't really understand your point - the Farish Mk 3 SLE/P uses the same body as the rest of their Mk 3s so is no better or worse than any other Farisk Mk 3.  What detail is missing on a slab-sided reasonably flush-glazed Mk 3 with printed body sides?  As a compromise I actually prefer it

I just prefer the Dapol not because I think newer is always better though.  As with the Farish Mk3 I dont like that fact both models have HST style roof vents.  No one model is better than the other on this score.

I like the disc brake wheel inserts and the sharp paint finish of the Dapol - the disc brakes being a really nice finishing touch to the bogies and look so much better for them.  Also the Dapols are light bar ready and have a more premium feel to them overall IMO.  The Farish Mk3 may have flusher sides (zero relief I call it :) ) but another downside is the complete lack of any interior detail (although this is not nearly as important on the sleeper versions).

I'd still like to see a Dapol sleeper and no doubt they will get round to completing the Mk3 family in the coming years.  There is a fair few liveries that could be covered too.

Edited - I forgot to add.  The Dapol models also have the footsteps on them and a choice of couplings too. 

I'm sticking with the "no 8F" for another reason.   It would take sales away from the WD.

Despite the UM model I'd think an LNWR 0-8-0 would be a better prospect, as would an S&DJR 7F.

None of these three is relevant to my needs.   However a J21 would be another matter.....

All the very best

Les

I'm sticking with the "no 8F" for another reason.   It would take sales away from the WD.

Despite the UM model I'd think an LNWR 0-8-0 would be a better prospect, as would an S&DJR 7F.

None of these three is relevant to my needs.   However a J21 would be another matter.....

All the very best

Les

Hi Les

Around the margins it may steal a few WD sales it is true, but I still do wonder if it is on the cards, it is a big class covering a long operational period and pretty widely distributed across the LMS network and further in BR days. Can they afford to let Dapol have a sniff of it?

Personally it would be lower on my shopping list than a lot of other prototypes, but I think a G2 or S&D 7F are unlikely, the first actually because of the well established UM model (Although admittedly this did not stop the J39) the second because it is just too "niche" for the smaller N market. Sure collectors will love them and some will buy and apply "Rule 1" regardless but will enough?

Nope looking at the current 00 range, factoring in the new coreless motor loco-drive with the possibilities that brings and a Fowler tender by then being available and I predict a Crab (A pretty popular model) and/or a Patriot - untested in N it is true but popular enough in 00).

Regards

Roy 

Hi Les

Around the margins it may steal a few WD sales it is true, but I still do wonder if it is on the cards, it is a big class covering a long operational period and pretty widely distributed across the LMS network and further in BR days. Can they afford to let Dapol have a sniff of it?

Regards

Roy 

Looking at the reduced prices that the WD can be purchased for- lucky me as I needed another- I'm not sure that it is a strong enough seller to have home-grown competition ranged against it.   I may be wrong, however (even though I don't need a third WD unless sound fitted and the 8F is wrong for my area).

Anyway, we'll know soon enough- and if NOT announced this year, given that DJM Dave is announcing his second tranche of locos the day after Bachmann announce next year's programme, is it just Dapol that might be looking that way?  Personally I think neither Dapol nor DJM are looking at the 8F, each for different reasons, though that is a gut feeling guess with NO inside info in either case.

All the very best

Les

Where are all these bargain WD hiding? I can just about justify adding one to my Pre-Nat layout, but the best price I have seen them for is around the £80 mark, yes I am a typical tight fisted Northerner

I keep missing out on cut price 8F's too :(

Where are all these bargain WD hiding? I can just about justify adding one to my Pre-Nat layout, but the best price I have seen them for is around the £80 mark, yes I am a typical tight fisted Northerner

Around £80 IS the bargain price and I think Hattons is currently selling them for that.  When the WDs were initially introduced the best price you could find was around £98, and more for the weathered variant.

Matt

Hi Paul

As Matt says, when you look at the list price of the WD, it being discounted to £79 at all is an absolutely crazy bargain already and realistically I doubt you will ever see it significantly cheaper brand new!

It is a quality loco and in my opinion not to be missed at this price (So, erm,...actually I didn't!).

As to where to find them - at Hattons just as one example that comes easily to hand (no connection - just a long standing customer!).

http://www.ehattons.com/38963/Graham_Farish_372_426_Class_WD_Austerity_2_8_0_90566_in_BR_black_with_late_crest/StockDetail.aspx

Regards

Roy

Here's another--what about a Princess Royal? Strangely ignored in N so far. Must be some shared parts with the Duchess. Several liveries, fairly high profile. I'm up for a green one and a maroon one.

The tender, or at least the later 4000 gallon 10 ton tenders, yes.  They key parts though, no.  There are some similarities with the GWR King class, especially in the front end and 6'6" 

driver size, but not so much at the rear.  The similarities are due to Stanier being an ex-GWR man and specifying an outline for what he was familiar with.  However, the King's coupled wheelbase is 8'+ 8'3" the Princess's is 8'+7'3".  This is because in the King the 3rd set of drivers support the firebox, whereas in the Princess they've been moved forward a foot to allow for a larger firebox that is supported by the addition of a pony truck.  The Princess also has outside Walschaerts valve gear, whereas the King's is a weird GWR arrangement of internalised Walschaerts with rocking links to the outside cylinders.

The Coronation class has an ever more compact set of larger 6'9" drivers, arranged 7'3"+7'3".

So basically, no.

• RMweb Premium

The tender, or at least the later 4000 gallon 10 ton tenders, yes.  They key parts though, no.  There are some similarities with the GWR King class, especially in the front end and 6'6" 

driver size, but not so much at the rear.  The similarities are due to Stanier being an ex-GWR man and specifying an outline for what he was familiar with.  However, the King's coupled wheelbase is 8'+ 8'3" the Princess's is 8'+7'3".  This is because in the King the 3rd set of drivers support the firebox, whereas in the Princess they've been moved forward a foot to allow for a larger firebox that is supported by the addition of a pony truck.  The Princess also has outside Walschaerts valve gear, whereas the King's is a weird GWR arrangement of internalised Walschaerts with rocking links to the outside cylinders.

The Coronation class has an ever more compact set of larger 6'9" drivers, arranged 7'3"+7'3".

So basically, no.

Thanks for that clarification Tony; I knew of the King connection but you've pointed out differences I hadn't appreciated. Both the Princesses and the Kings must be candidates for N gauge at some stage surely?

Thanks for that clarification Tony; I knew of the King connection but you've pointed out differences I hadn't appreciated. Both the Princesses and the Kings must be candidates for N gauge at some stage surely?

Farish did a King (I think it was the last new Poole model if memory serves).

It just about made it into Bachmann's product range,post-takeover I think, but it hasn't been around for a number of years as far as I know.

The "Lizzie" on the other hand has never been available RTR.

Both would probably be popular choices but given the Castle and Duchess are already in the pipeline, I suspect neither will appear anytime soon.

Roy

AW go on. . . . . Gizza       Q6

I have a gut feeling, mind it is ONLY a gut feeling, that if a Q6 is to come from anywhere it might come from a manufacturer somewhat nearer to Binns Road, and in more than one scale.  

I will repeat- GUT FEELING ONLY- and I also think I'm more likely to be disappointed than welcoming one onto Hawthorn Dene any time soon.

All the very best

Les

I have a gut feeling, mind it is ONLY a gut feeling, that if a Q6 is to come from anywhere it might come from a manufacturer somewhat nearer to Binns Road, and in more than one scale.  

I will repeat- GUT FEELING ONLY- and I also think I'm more likely to be disappointed than welcoming one onto Hawthorn Dene any time soon.

All the very best

Les

Would be perfect for Hawthorn Dene, Les Remember them coming out of the collieries when I were a lad. . .

Part way through building a Q6 from the superb Bob Jones kit from his Fencehouses stable.

Jerry

I nearly bought one but chickened out. . . need to build up my skills first . . . . . . . .

John

• RMweb Gold

Would be perfect for Hawthorn Dene, Les Remember them coming out of the collieries when I were a lad. . .

I nearly bought one but chickened out. . . need to build up my skills first . . . . . . . .

John

They are not the simplest kit but are extremely well designed. Everything fits as it should and they are a joy to build, I would highly recommend one of Bobs kits to anyone with a bit of experience under their belt. Not really feasible for N gauge either due to the lack of wheels.

Jerry

Archived