Isle of Man Rly Contemplation

avonside1563

I'm contemplating a move into narrow gauge and specifically the Isle of Man steam railways, partly as I have always had an interest in Manx railways which stems from family holidays to the Isle of Man in the 70s and also after seeing Mannin Middle and chatting to the owner at the Stafford show last weekend.

I would be looking at 4mm scale and at the moment this is just a request for information regarding the availability of kits etc for the prototypes and also the relevant trackwork to give the correct 3ft gauge.

I believe that Branchlines and Worsley Works both supply kits but wondered what else might be out there?

Thanks in advance

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if you're interested in the Manx Electric Railway.

If you are, I believe there have also been 4mm kits of MER Winter Saloon #22:

• Alphagraphix / Brumtrams - card kit.

• Mark Hughes - white metal (probably now pewter), with some etched brass parts.

Although not relevant to you, I suspect that some modellers of early Blackpool & Fleetwood trams might also be interested in the Mark Hughes kit - as some very similar cars were also used there.

Branchlines certainly did a range of loco kits and I think that they are still in business. Their web presence is distinctly rudimentary and you have to email sales@branchlines.com to ask for a pdf file of their 4mm narrow gauge catalogue.

Branchlines certainly did a range of loco kits and I think that they are still in business. Their web presence is distinctly rudimentary and you have to email sales@branchlines.com to ask for a pdf file of their 4mm narrow gauge catalogue.

Was being advertised in this or last months Railway Modeller

Nigel

I have never been to the isle of Mann but the locos and carriages have fascinated me since seeing a layout of the month in Railway modeller in the 60's.

I also remember the GEM kits of both Locos and coaches and have the 1966 GEM catalogue which shows in 4mm scale an isle if Man loco Maitland and there is a photo also of one of the 2 bogie coaches they sold.  What has happened to these kits?

Have just received a copy of Norman Jones' Book 'The Isle of Man Railway', Foxline Publishing. At first look it appears to contain a nice little glimpse of the 1950s and 60s on the island. Anyone have any recommendations for suitable research material?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the Roxey range in 4mm, Dave Hammersley is a great enthusiast of the islands railways, and took me on three occasions in the 1990's to see what it was all about - with his contacts we managed to get almost everywhere, including getting locked in Port Erin railway museum one lunchtime whilst measuring a signal, the member of staff didn't see she still had visitors so went for her lunch!

£31.50
P1010579%20E1%20R2.jpg

4NGC1 THE FOXDALE COACH

Etched brass kit. Built in 1886 by Oldburys for the Manx Northern as a Brake Third. The independent Foxdale Railway was worked by the MNR and No. 17 provided the passenger accommodation until it closed. In 1887 one compartment was upgraded to first

£31.50
P1010575%20E1%20R2.jpg

4NGC10 Isle of Man Railway The 'Empress Vans'

Etched brass kit. Bogie Full Brakes of 1897. Both were built by Metropolitan for the carriage of luggage and parcels traffic. They were very similar in style to FI 9-F20, with end duckets, but the whole body was given over to luggage space. F27 la

£34.75
P1010574%20E1%20R2.jpg

4NGC11 I.O.M.R. Third Class Saloons I.O.M.R No.s F29-F32

Etched Brass Kit. These saloon coaches were supplied in 1905 by Metropolitan as part of modernisation scheme following takeover of the Manx Northern. When delivered they were considered the best stock the company had. All have been modified intern

£31.75
P1010573%20R2.jpg

4NGC12 I.O.M.R Composite Saloons I.O.M.R No.s F35-F36

Etched brass kit. Built by Metropolitan at the same time as F29-F32 these two saloons were the most luxurious on the Island. The first class sections were sumptuously upholstered and paneled in wood. The third class was more basic, having reversible seats

£31.50
4NGC2%20M.N.R.%206wheel%20CLEMINSON%20TH

4NGC2 M.N.R. 6wheel CLEMINSON THIRD

Etched Brass Kit. Ten coaches were built in 1879 by the Swansea Wagon Company for the opening of the Manx Northern Railway. They had Cleminson patent six wheeled underframes where each axle ran in a separate pivoted frame. Each frame was interconnected

£31.50
P1010163.jpg

4NGC3 M.N.R. 6 wheeled CLEMINSON COMPOSITE

Etched brass kit. Two composites were built in 1879 in the same style as the thirds. The bodies were divided into four compartments. Two large first class compartments in the centre were flanked by two tiny third class compartments. In 1880 the Ra

£31.50
P1010570%20E1%20R2.jpg

4NGC4 M.N.R. 6wheeled CLEMINSON FIRST

Etched Brass Kit. Two firsts were built in 1879 and on takeover by the Isle of Man Railway were renumbered N40 and N41. No.1 was largely unmodified, although reduced to third class in 1920. It is now privately preserved. No.2 was rebuilt internally

£31.50
P1010162.jpg

4NGC5 I.O.M.R. Guard Third of 1876

Etched Brass Kit The first bogie coaches for the IOMR, built by Brown Marshall. At one end was a brakemans compartment, which was also used by passengers at peak periods. Some of the compartments only had seatback height partitions. Unfortunately

£31.50
4NGC6%20I.O.M.R.%20Guard%20Third%20or%20

4NGC6 I.O.M.R. Guard Third or Guard Composite of 1881

Etched Brass Kit. F7 and F8 were built by Ashbury as Guard/Thirds, with a brakemans compartment at one end. Later the two central compartments were upgraded to first class. These coaches were built for service all over the IOMR system but in later

£31.50
4NGC7%20I.O.M.R.%20Guard%20Composite%20o

4NGC7 I.O.M.R. Guard Composite of 1894

Etched Brass Kit. These two coaches were built by Brown Marshall. As before they had timber underframes with the body panels covering the solebars but the lower panels were curved in a tumblehome. There were two first class compartments in the centre.

£31.50
4NGC8%20I.O.M.R.%20Guard%20Third%20of%20

4NGC8 I.O.M.R. Guard Third of 1894-1996

Etched Brass Kit. F16-F18 were built by Brown Marshall and F24-F25 were built by their successors Metropolitan. They followed FI3-F14 with tumblehome to the bodyside but reverted to the Guard/Third layout. F18 is still in service. F25 and F26 await rebuilds

£31.50

• Like 1

• 4 years later...