Frappingtons workbench - Sharp Stewart Long Boiler 0-6-0, Take 2!

My workbench spans many years at this point, though admittedly not a huge number of projects considering the time period (due to my slow work nature!), so here's a brief list of what's here:

BR Stirling Single (below)

BR Sentinel Railcar

Hornby 4 Wheel Coaches mods/repaints

Sharpish Stewart Industrial from Electrotren 0-6-0

3D Printed Crane Tank

Freelance Pugbash 0-6-0 'Griffin'

Static RH&DR No.8 'Hurricane' on LNER Rectank

Hornby/Bachmann Ivatt 2MT Hybrid

Kernow GWR 1361 Industrial Conversion

M&GN Class A Rebuild from a Hornby Adams Radial

Sharp Stewart Long Boiler 0-6-0 Attempt 2

BR Stirling Single

I start by saying that rule one applies here, yes I know the Stirling Singles didn't last anywhere near this long

Anyway, this is my new project to create a half decent model of a Stirling Single from the Bachmann Thomas and Friends model of 'Emily'. It'll basically involve removing the face (obviously), filing down the running plate on the loco, re profiling the cab, and adding a smokebox door, back head, tender coal chute and details from a Dapol 'Schools' kit. It'll then be finished in BR mixed traffic black as number 62835 with a Doncastor 36a shedplate

Below are a couple of pictures of the model as bought, I apologise for the qualtiy.

post-19778-0-17051500-1392227644_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-94945700-1392227659_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frappington Jct
  • Like 7

Right, sorry about the lack of updates but I'm really bad at getting round to this sort of thing!

As the pictures below show, I've remover the face off the model, sanded down the running plate (which was quite a bit more difficult around the cylonders than I anticipated), reprofiled the cab and sanded away the moulded coal rails. Once again I apologise for the photo quality

post-19778-0-73651300-1392847804_thumb.jpg

The cab

post-19778-0-00711200-1392847816_thumb.jpg

The tender

post-19778-0-54619700-1392847826_thumb.jpg

The engine in general 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Right, an update. I have started adding parts from the Dapol Schools kit, and as such the engine now has a smoke box door, coal chute, dummy screw link coupling and a vacuum pipe. The smoke box door was the hardest to fit as it had to be cut down to size. After creating a cardboard template, I discovered (thankfully) that the hole for the smoke door was exactly the same size as the central section of the door I was using. This meant that I could just cut around the edge of that section, giving a near perfect circle. This was then sanded to get rid of the moulded number plate and a ridge on the door. It was finally cemented into the hole using a piece of blutac to put it in place so that it would go in level. 

post-19778-0-56216000-1394045770_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-28838500-1394045781_thumb.jpg

These pics show the door and the buffer beam detail from the schools.

The tender was tackled by taking the coal chute section of the kit and the tender step which were cut down to the right width and, in the case of the step, cut down so that only the step face remained. These were then cemented in place so that the chute (while looking quite high) is in roughly the same place as on the prototype. Also, a pair of tender steps were added to try and represent those of the prototype

post-19778-0-07521200-1394046141_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-78567300-1394046150_thumb.jpg

post-19778-0-49181400-1394046160_thumb.jpg

The next job will be to remove the plastic lump in the cab so that I can add the back head

Edited by Frappington Jct
  • Like 5

Have you read this thread at all?

I just have thanks. It's very good and also nice to know that I'm not the only one attempting this! It's also got me thinking about an M7 - G5 conversion, but that's another story.

Oh, and below I've included a drawing to illustrate how the lined BR black will look on the loco (my thanks goes out to 69843 for providing the drawing). The splasher isn't lined but will be on the model:

post-19778-0-35988600-1394643015.png

• Like 5

G'Day Gents

I like the conversion, I will be doing it one day, But, to make it a bit more realistic, get yourself a large dome (off of an old J50) and fit it to the Stirling, Mr Ivatt started to fit domed boilers to these engines around 1900, so by 1950, she would have had about 15 different boilers by then.

manna

...and a wide firebox, superheater, third cylinder, a very special arrangement of the conjugated gear concealed within, tall streamlined steam collector, double chimney, side window cab, eightwheel high sided corridor tender. I think I can get all that in with 22T on the driver and 15T per carrying wheel.

Plaque on boiler side commemorating 140mph speed record.

Needs a name. 'The Spirit Of Sturrock, Stirling, Ivatt And Gresley' would do nicely. Inevitably known to the footplate crew as 'The Sausage'; quite appropriate really, full of interesting and spicy ingredients of varied origin...

G'Day Gents

I like the conversion, I will be doing it one day, But, to make it a bit more realistic, get yourself a large dome (off of an old J50) and fit it to the Stirling, Mr Ivatt started to fit domed boilers to these engines around 1900, so by 1950, she would have had about 15 different boilers by then.

manna

Thanks. As I'm making this as bit of fun (and have a miniscule budget!), I probably won't add a dome to the engine as I prefer the class without the domes. If I was trying to do a exact 'how it could have been' model I would, but this is more something for my enjoyment so I'm not planning to.

...and a wide firebox, superheater, third cylinder, a very special arrangement of the conjugated gear concealed within, tall streamlined steam collector, double chimney, side window cab, eightwheel high sided corridor tender. I think I can get all that in with 22T on the driver and 15T per carrying wheel.

Plaque on boiler side commemorating 140mph speed record.

Needs a name. 'The Spirit Of Sturrock, Stirling, Ivatt And Gresley' would do nicely. Inevitably known to the footplate crew as 'The Sausage'; quite appropriate really, full of interesting and spicy ingredients of varied origin...

I wish I had the ability to do all that! A names not a bad idea, I like the idea of 'Spirit of Sturrock'. I'll have a think...

Looks very good. 

I tried my hand at one of these conversions a few years ago, my effort was good for its time but really needs going over and rebuilding now. 

010.jpg

If I were doing it today I'd have another go at the smokebox door, a better painting and lining job and wire handrails.  Other than that I did exactly as you have:  cut back the cab roof, thin down the running plate, remove the face and pop out the black spectacle inserts.  

• Like 5