• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, CinderMonkey said:

While I can't say I was sold on the idea of the "Banana Pannier" when I saw it originallly, those brilliant shots of it snow-covered have convinced me that the yellow works! Where did you get its plow? The Steel engine also looks fantastic, have you shown that before on another thread of have I just missed it on this one?

Banana + Pannier =  Banannier?

The plough is (I think) from either a Class 50 or Class 20, it has NEM prongs on the back so slots into the socket nicely.

There are two locos from the Barrow Hematite Steel Company that I've modelled for my fictional version, which handily lasted a few more years than the real-life version.

No. 14's (Hunslet 48150) build thread here:

No.16 (YEC Type 21) here:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You may have seen this before, here's a video on how I went about making the customised graphics for my 'Kozlova's Steam Fair' wagons from the film Paddington 2,  using John Ott's (of Miskatonic fame) guide.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

A little vehicle for the layout. My friend Rich gave me this, I think it's an AEC, it is clearly meant to be a fairground generator truck but was sold in a spurious military livery.

sr75GtuITfCzC1IUrgYjTw_thumb_d33e.jpg.98340e90f128301824fc4adcb6801f32.jpg

A good candidate for a local Sudrian haulage company.

The top of the cab was painted Rover Inca Yellow, the rest is a Vauxhall Burgundy I think, with satin black on the chassis.

The grille was primed and then the radiator picked out using some black acrylic, as was the spade on the back of the cab.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d2c4.jpg.8455b687b4b9e869a45d6feb18c5aecf.jpg

After failing to apply some N Scale transfer which disintegrated, I got this crest from a spare transfer sheet, looks good I think. Some light weathering to bring out the shadows and edges, then glue and glaze in the windows to finish!

Just need to re-attempt the lettering on the headboard, and maybe a tarp for the back?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d341.jpg.2acc309919524774bf54b5fc46f8df15.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d33c.jpg.cfc1d68095942cd5879f30df9ce3e4c2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 24/01/2020 at 13:34, Corbs said:

A little vehicle for the layout. My friend Rich gave me this, I think it's an AEC, it is clearly meant to be a fairground generator truck but was sold in a spurious military livery.

sr75GtuITfCzC1IUrgYjTw_thumb_d33e.jpg.98340e90f128301824fc4adcb6801f32.jpg

A good candidate for a local Sudrian haulage company.

The top of the cab was painted Rover Inca Yellow, the rest is a Vauxhall Burgundy I think, with satin black on the chassis.

The grille was primed and then the radiator picked out using some black acrylic, as was the spade on the back of the cab.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d2c4.jpg.8455b687b4b9e869a45d6feb18c5aecf.jpg

After failing to apply some N Scale transfer which disintegrated, I got this crest from a spare transfer sheet, looks good I think. Some light weathering to bring out the shadows and edges, then glue and glaze in the windows to finish!

Just need to re-attempt the lettering on the headboard, and maybe a tarp for the back?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d341.jpg.2acc309919524774bf54b5fc46f8df15.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d33c.jpg.cfc1d68095942cd5879f30df9ce3e4c2.jpg

Blech! What a horrid lorry! 

Joking and reference aside, excellent work as always Corbs. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

No. 800

Something that I've been theoretically working on for months, but have only properly started recently.

STRUCK FROM THE RECORD

The genesis for this was a mixture of reading more about Andre Chapelon's machines, wondering how I could make my own version, and my own dissatisfaction with No.805 Suddery Cathedral. 

Although the NWR Pacific was one of my first creations, and I'd come up with a (albeit morbid) backstory for it, I became increasingly dissatisfied with it, how the aesthetics didn't fit anything else, the use of GWR parts, the late introduction of the loco and lack of real development or 'house features'.

Strangely, I grew more attached to 705 Westlin which initially was just built from the leftovers of the Cathedral, but had more of 'me' and what I wanted from my freelance universe in it.

The upshot is that Suddery Cathedral has been struck from the list and removed from my NWR history altogether. It'll likely be renumbered and rebranded as a BR loco and put out to pasture on Northbridge and Budleigh Junction.

I wanted to develop the NWR 4-6-0 type further, so here goes.

THE WESTLINS

3 x 4-6-0s (the Westlin class) were built in the late 1920s and early 1930s for express and long distance passenger services. The CME of the NWR had extensive correspondence with French engineer Andre Chapelon, and as a result, the second and third of these, Harold the Black and Starstrider, were built as a 4 cylinder compound with double Kylchap chimney, Lentz rotary valve gear, ACFI feedwater heater, thermic syphons and a larger tender as a result of the LMS's resistance to the NWR using their routes in order to get to London. NWR locos were not permitted to use LMS water troughs, cranes or coaling facilities, so in order to extend the range of the NWR locos, better efficiency was sought.

After trials with Starstrider, a mixed traffic 4-8-0 design was ordered.

Low fuel consumption, high power output and adhesion were all aims in the design of this loco.

The Lentz valve gear was adapted to include infinitely variable cut-off (which took several iterations) to make best use of the rotary cams.

The same boiler as on Starstrider was used with a modified grate and large twin ashpans.

Driving wheels were 6ft instead of the 6ft 6in wheels used on the 4-6-0.

High pressure cylinders mounted outside, low pressure inside due to loading gauge restrictions.

MODELLING

Well, that's the spiel and I'm sticking to it!

After comparing as many diagrams and key dimensions of UK locomotives vs. the French 240A and 240P types (which this is obviously based on) I found that the 240P was not actually that huge.

Height-wise the dome, ACFI drums, chimney and cab protruded above the UK loading gauge, but the boiler did not. If I could shave some height off by using slightly smaller wheels, smaller boiler fittings and a slightly reduced boiler diameter I could get away with it.

Likewise, the 240P's outside high pressure cylinders were 16.535 in × 25.591 in (420 mm × 650 mm), not far off the diameter of a 'Coronation's cylinders. The main thing that made the cylinders wider was the jacketing and the Lentz poppet valve gear, hence the switch to rotary valve gear in this.

I did a lot of searching for a suitable chassis that would take the 6ft wheels (from a Hornby 'Black 5') close together. I considered a P2 chassis but they'd be spaced quite far apart after the reduction in diameter.

What I settled on was this, the rolling chassis of a 4-8-4 from Bachmann USA.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d2e6.jpg.d8d9d321fd1d115c5f283df6319a5808.jpg

Unfortunately I miscalculated a bit (mathematics are not my strong point) even though I'd done a lot of conversions of relative sizes in HO to OO etc. and the wheels where still too big.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d2ef.jpg.69522a01356436578336fe1f9394b631.jpg

The flanges caught on each other, so I took each wheel in turn, stuck it on the axle, in the dremel, in the vice, and used a file to turn down the flanges while it span (probably not very safe to do).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d329.jpg.00385ef81d26e4f6aeef49c6cd21d930.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d31d.jpg.582178f4c17ebfaea2789b9b27992b91.jpg

The boiler and footplate are from a GBL 'King' with a GBL Black 5 cab and dome spliced on.

1535466381_sbtkFiOaTGqKa0iyZWPYw_thumb_d348.jpg.2678d07acc795e25b9452541f73de024.jpg

The cylinders and valve gear are from a Hornby Cock o' the North. Unsure about the bogie's heritage.

Here we see the chassis with the deflanged drivers and the original coupling rods on.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d35e.jpg.fd1b69fee3ac2e536f238cdd6adcf146.jpg

The chimney has been sawn out and the hole filled.

SXduECstTc2KdID91Dbpcw_thumb_d376.jpg.932e56cc7c2df1e1440180e7f4803aef.jpg

The ACFI pump is from NIU models as used on Shotover.

To do the drums on the boiler, I wanted them to look streamlined as with the 240P rather than the uglier 'stuck on' ones.

Voila, a pen

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d37a.jpg.d576e3174d93ed8f5feb0bfc6e75e40f.jpg

Chop chop glue

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d37e.jpg.8a3bbb7e8e70de815335bbc22bcccc3f.jpg

Miliput used to form the ends and an old Evening Star chimney substituting for the kylchap at present. Hornby A3 smokebox door as used on Westlin. Note the inside cylinder covers have been hacked off and will be remade with more girth.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d38e.jpg.ff01cb7fd0e0ffbda46d6b99cd9224f3.jpg

That's the current state of play, a dog's dinner and far from even seeing the finish line but hopefully provides some amusement.

It's actually shorter than a Princess Royal at the moment, which is good as I still need to start the bogie tender!

For reference, this is a Chapelon 240P - the inspiration for this project:

qdiwzJmfeIYt_B9UqRZaXIExsjLKQAcNNLcbvn866sk.jpg.9455b429207d042a98c8dcd938b26c9a.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

7 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I don't think I'll recycle Suddery Cathedral for this as it doesn't seem like the right name for a mixed traffic loco.

Most likely THORFINN THE MIGHTY

How about Colonel Routh Goshen? He was Manx and was noted for his size and strength.

• Informative/Useful 1

You know, I wonder if the NWR picked up any nicknames albeit derogatory? Being a somewhat backwater with having to cobble together and refit various older "outdated" classes from time to time alongside picking up unique engines that would no doubt have their own unique foibles, never mind under BR where the apparent under-investment likely continued.

"Nowt Worth Rescuing"? "Not Worth Resources"?

Lovely modelling though, fantastic work on a "gritty" reboot.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe the Rev. Awdry originally painted NW on the model he gave to young Christopher to mean ‘No Where Railway’, later adapted to ‘North Western’ when he created the universe of the books, so that could be a good one?

I had a thought some time ago that LMS officials in the 1920s would refer to it as ‘The Biggest Light Railway’ (off the record, of course) due to the somewhat hacked-together and secondhand nature of the stock, stemming from the feeling that the LMS should have acquired the NWR at the grouping.

No wonder the publicity department is so keen to advertise the new high tech developments of the 1930s! Also explains why Hatt brought in a new CME with fresh ideas.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

48 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I believe the Rev. Awdry originally painted NW on the model he gave to young Christopher to mean ‘No Where Railway’, later adapted to ‘North Western’ when he created the universe of the books, so that could be a good one?

I had a thought some time ago that LMS officials in the 1920s would refer to it as ‘The Biggest Light Railway’ (off the record, of course) due to the somewhat hacked-together and secondhand nature of the stock, stemming from the feeling that the LMS should have acquired the NWR at the grouping.

No wonder the publicity department is so keen to advertise the new high tech developments of the 1930s! Also explains why Hatt brought in a new CME with fresh ideas.

Ooooh, that's a pretty good one. What and where in your timeline does Sodor fall to the Modernisation Plan, or does the BR board forget it has this strange island as a national region of the network?

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes well in a stunning leap of faith and un-grittiness, my NWR falls outside nationalisation, after a prolonged, complicated and expensive legal battle, the same reason the NWR was not absorbed into the LMS at grouping in 1923. 

BR was not willing to exclude the NWR from its steam ban in 1968, though, so the NWR was indeed forced to modernise and replace any traction operating on the mainland.

43 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Ah yes well in a stunning leap of faith and un-grittiness, my NWR falls outside nationalisation, after a prolonged, complicated and expensive legal battle, the same reason the NWR was not absorbed into the LMS at grouping in 1923. 

BR was not willing to exclude the NWR from its steam ban in 1968, though, so the NWR was indeed forced to modernise and replace any traction operating on the mainland.

So basically Thomas and friends are restricted to the Island except for special occasions? Seems like the most logical direction.

4 hours ago, Corbs said:

No. 800

Something that I've been theoretically working on for months, but have only properly started recently.

STRUCK FROM THE RECORD

The genesis for this was a mixture of reading more about Andre Chapelon's machines, wondering how I could make my own version, and my own dissatisfaction with No.805 Suddery Cathedral. 

Although the NWR Pacific was one of my first creations, and I'd come up with a (albeit morbid) backstory for it, I became increasingly dissatisfied with it, how the aesthetics didn't fit anything else, the use of GWR parts, the late introduction of the loco and lack of real development or 'house features'.

Strangely, I grew more attached to 705 Westlin which initially was just built from the leftovers of the Cathedral, but had more of 'me' and what I wanted from my freelance universe in it.

The upshot is that Suddery Cathedral has been struck from the list and removed from my NWR history altogether. It'll likely be renumbered and rebranded as a BR loco and put out to pasture on Northbridge and Budleigh Junction.

I wanted to develop the NWR 4-6-0 type further, so here goes.

THE WESTLINS

3 x 4-6-0s (the Westlin class) were built in the late 1920s and early 1930s for express and long distance passenger services. The CME of the NWR had extensive correspondence with French engineer Andre Chapelon, and as a result, the final one of these, Starstrider, was built as a 4 cylinder compound with double Kylchap chimney, Lentz rotary valve gear, ACFI feedwater heater, thermic syphons and a larger tender as a result of the LMS's resistance to the NWR using their routes in order to get to London. NWR locos were not permitted to use LMS water troughs, cranes or coaling facilities, so in order to extend the range of the NWR locos, better efficiency was sought.

After trials with Starstrider, a mixed traffic 4-8-0 design was ordered.

Low fuel consumption, high power output and adhesion were all aims in the design of this loco.

The Lentz valve gear was adapted to include infinitely variable cut-off (which took several iterations) to make best use of the rotary cams.

The same boiler as on Starstrider was used with a modified grate and large twin ashpans.

Driving wheels were 6ft instead of the 6ft 6in wheels used on the 4-6-0.

High pressure cylinders mounted outside, low pressure inside due to loading gauge restrictions.

MODELLING

Well, that's the spiel and I'm sticking to it!

After comparing as many diagrams and key dimensions of UK locomotives vs. the French 240A and 240P types (which this is obviously based on) I found that the 240P was not actually that huge.

Height-wise the dome, ACFI drums, chimney and cab protruded above the UK loading gauge, but the boiler did not. If I could shave some height off by using slightly smaller wheels, smaller boiler fittings and a slightly reduced boiler diameter I could get away with it.

Likewise, the 240P's outside high pressure cylinders were 16.535 in × 25.591 in (420 mm × 650 mm), not far off the diameter of a 'Coronation's cylinders. The main thing that made the cylinders wider was the jacketing and the Lentz poppet valve gear, hence the switch to rotary valve gear in this.

I did a lot of searching for a suitable chassis that would take the 6ft wheels (from a Hornby 'Black 5') close together. I considered a P2 chassis but they'd be spaced quite far apart after the reduction in diameter.

What I settled on was this, the rolling chassis of a 4-8-4 from Bachmann USA.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d2e6.jpg.d8d9d321fd1d115c5f283df6319a5808.jpg

Unfortunately I miscalculated a bit (mathematics are not my strong point) even though I'd done a lot of conversions of relative sizes in HO to OO etc. and the wheels where still too big.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d2ef.jpg.69522a01356436578336fe1f9394b631.jpg

The flanges caught on each other, so I took each wheel in turn, stuck it on the axle, in the dremel, in the vice, and used a file to turn down the flanges while it span (probably not very safe to do).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d329.jpg.00385ef81d26e4f6aeef49c6cd21d930.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d31d.jpg.582178f4c17ebfaea2789b9b27992b91.jpg

The boiler and footplate are from a GBL 'King' with a GBL Black 5 cab and dome spliced on.

1535466381_sbtkFiOaTGqKa0iyZWPYw_thumb_d348.jpg.2678d07acc795e25b9452541f73de024.jpg

The cylinders and valve gear are from a Hornby Cock o' the North. Unsure about the bogie's heritage.

Here we see the chassis with the deflanged drivers and the original coupling rods on.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d35e.jpg.fd1b69fee3ac2e536f238cdd6adcf146.jpg

The chimney has been sawn out and the hole filled.

SXduECstTc2KdID91Dbpcw_thumb_d376.jpg.932e56cc7c2df1e1440180e7f4803aef.jpg

The ACFI pump is from NIU models as used on Shotover.

To do the drums on the boiler, I wanted them to look streamlined as with the 240P rather than the uglier 'stuck on' ones.

Voila, a pen

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d37a.jpg.d576e3174d93ed8f5feb0bfc6e75e40f.jpg

Chop chop glue

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d37e.jpg.8a3bbb7e8e70de815335bbc22bcccc3f.jpg

Miliput used to form the ends and an old Evening Star chimney substituting for the kylchap at present. Hornby A3 smokebox door as used on Westlin. Note the inside cylinder covers have been hacked off and will be remade with more girth.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d38e.jpg.ff01cb7fd0e0ffbda46d6b99cd9224f3.jpg

That's the current state of play, a dog's dinner and far from even seeing the finish line but hopefully provides some amusement.

It's actually shorter than a Princess Royal at the moment, which is good as I still need to start the bogie tender!

For reference, this is a Chapelon 240P - the inspiration for this project:

qdiwzJmfeIYt_B9UqRZaXIExsjLKQAcNNLcbvn866sk.jpg.9455b429207d042a98c8dcd938b26c9a.jpg

Corbs,

You are quite bonkers.

Do keep it up !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I had thought about it (as side window cabs have become something of a house style on my NWR) but I liked the Brighton style of the narrow cab, I am reliably informed that it allows you a good view ahead/behind without having to stick your head out past the loading gauge, which is especially good when I've just obstructed the rear view so much! ;)

• Like 3