Simple, snag-free point operation for shunting layout

I'm building an L-shaped rural shunting shelf layout, one leg 8ft, the other 9ft , maximum shelf width 18 inches, and I want as reliable point operation as I can get (don't we all?). The thing is, I have no interest in layout electrics and can barely grasp the principles behind it. After a day's internet research on the subject, my mind is reeling and  I'm still unclear about the most laughably simple of questions. It's this:  can I just operate my Peco Electrofrogs by hand, simply by reaching over and pushing the tiebar to and fro, provided I fit the insulated joiners just beyond the frog as per instructions? Needless to say, this is a DC setup!

That said, I'd still be very interested in members' views on what  remote mechanical or electrical methods might suit an electrophobe building a layout of this kind of shape and size. One reason is, it will largely take the form of two Iain Rice-style light-boxes ie miniature theatre-type stages enclosed at top and sides with only 10-11 inch front apertures into which to insert a point-changing hand.

Wire in tube is nice if you want simplicity, but avoiding the 'hand of god' appearing in the layout.  If the layout is to have a long life I would recommend hot wiring the movable point blades to keep them live.  I have previously used wire in tube, plus micro switches on Beeding Sidings.  Rocoline points were used.

Here is a double slip in close up, showing the wire poking through the tiebar

post-2484-0-06457300-1393762879_thumb.jpg

The wire is bent in a loop, with the end going through the baseboard to the tiebar.  I used quite thick wire and thinned the end with a file to go through the tie bar.  The micro-switches have an arm making them easier to switch.  The tension to hold the points over is solely from the friction of the wire in the tube.

post-2484-0-04914400-1393763073_thumb.jpg

The tube is soldered to the brass track pins. 

post-2484-0-95770800-1393763090_thumb.jpg

The outer end of the wire is looped over to make a handle.

post-2484-0-75320500-1393763414_thumb.jpg

It's up to you on how much you wire up.  If you have all wheel pick up you might get away without wiring the frogs.  My preference is to wire up everything.

My latest layout has everything wires and is a bit neater than Beeding Sidings

post-2484-0-28977800-1393763806_thumb.jpg  post-2484-0-69291900-1393763605_thumb.jpg

Another vote for bicycle spokes (and toggle switches if required) as they are cheap, my local cycle shop sells them for around 30p each - I use them mostly for making puppet hand rods.

Available in a wide variety of lengths and thicknesses but you will need a good quality side cuter/mini bolt cropper/slitting disc to shorten them as they are tough.

Built them into a few boxfile layouts over the years, a couple of which I know are still going strong.

Bicycle brake cable still in its outer has enough friction in it to aid operation, as well as being flexible for convenient routing anywhere as long as you are not going over board joints.

A simple slider mechanism can be made from the internals of a terminal block to terminate the brake cable and attach to simple tie bar dropper slider.  The outers of the terminal blocks can then be used as the housing for the slider and microswitch.

All fully adjustable, simple and reliable.

The bike spoke / bowden cable methods mentioned above and variations on that theme are fully suited to the layout type described, avoids the risks of knocking stock and scenic fittings about caused by 'reaching in' to move the tie bar.

The natural extension to my mind is to terminate the drive mechanism on a slide switch which can be wired to switch the crossing polarity. A simple hole in the side of the slider knob, bend the end of the spoke through a right angle and engage the end in the hole. For reliability, changing the crossing polarity on a switch will outperform reliance on point blades contacting the stock rail to alter the crossing polarity.

• RMweb Premium

adding jumpers from the stock rails to the points then requires separating the frog from the points which usually requires wiring the frog through some sort of switch. Just using the points as they come worked for me for years.

I would take for simplicity, if you go for a switched frog, the slide switch and wire/bicycle spoke.

My current layout building uses a commercial (North American or Canadian) mechanism that's run by telescoping plastic tubes. I think the tubes are used by aeroplane modellers.

adding jumpers from the stock rails to the points then requires separating the frog from the points which usually requires wiring the frog through some sort of switch. Just using the points as they come worked for me for years.

I would take for simplicity, if you go for a switched frog, the slide switch and wire/bicycle spoke.

My current layout building uses a commercial (North American or Canadian) mechanism that's run by telescoping plastic tubes. I think the tubes are used by aeroplane modellers.

David,

Could you post a couple of pics and source of these please?

khris

• RMweb Premium

I'm building an L-shaped rural shunting shelf layout, one leg 8ft, the other 9ft , maximum shelf width 18 inches, and I want as reliable point operation as I can get (don't we all?). The thing is, I have no interest in layout electrics and can barely grasp the principles behind it. After a day's internet research on the subject, my mind is reeling and  I'm still unclear about the most laughably simple of questions. It's this:  can I just operate my Peco Electrofrogs by hand, simply by reaching over and pushing the tiebar to and fro, provided I fit the insulated joiners just beyond the frog as per instructions? Needless to say, this is a DC setup!

That said, I'd still be very interested in members' views on what  remote mechanical or electrical methods might suit an electrophobe building a layout of this kind of shape and size. One reason is, it will largely take the form of two Iain Rice-style light-boxes ie miniature theatre-type stages enclosed at top and sides with only 10-11 inch front apertures into which to insert a point-changing hand.

I suspect that your real problem is fear of the electrics. Why not join a club or similar & 'bribe' someone to come and help you out? Perhaps a dinner might be a suitable payment.

My thanks to all contributors, particularly for the photos which make things much clearer than words. I like the push-pull simplicity of spokes and cables.  I think a visit to the workshop of our local cycling fanatic is my next move.

Wire in tube is nice if you want simplicity, but avoiding the 'hand of god' appearing in the layout.  If the layout is to have a long life I would recommend hot wiring the movable point blades to keep them live.  I have previously used wire in tube, plus micro switches on Beeding Sidings.  Rocoline points were used.

Here is a double slip in close up, showing the wire poking through the tiebar

attachicon.gifBeeding Sidings - 3296.JPG

Ernie, this may be a long shot but this picture looks very familiar. Did you ever sell the boards with this double slip on Ebay some years back?

• RMweb Premium

Some photos taken in a hurry.

The one device is called the Bluepoint from New Rail Models (www.newrailmodels.com).  Available all over North America.

The wooden device comes from the Fastracks people and is called the Bullfrog http://www.handlaidtrack.com/BullFrog-Manual-Turnout-Control-s/2087.htm

It's a kit, made in Canada.

I bought mine at Credit Valley Railway, but you might get a better deal on the Bluepoint from the USA.

The tubing shows in the last photo.

Mounted under

post-6938-0-47980400-1393905730.jpg

the controls

post-6938-0-67462100-1393905745.jpg

close up

post-6938-0-39954300-1393905779.jpg

units by themselves with control rod

post-6938-0-74097500-1393905808.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some photos taken in a hurry.

The one device is called the Bluepoint from New Rail Models (www.newrailmodels.com).  Available all over North America.

The wooden device comes from the Fastracks people and is called the Bullfrog http://www.handlaidtrack.com/BullFrog-Manual-Turnout-Control-s/2087.htm

It's a kit, made in Canada.

I bought mine at Credit Valley Railway, but you might get a better deal on the Bluepoint from the USA.

The tubing shows in the last photo.

Mounted under

attachicon.gifBP_5756.jpg

the controls

attachicon.gifBP_5757.jpg

close up

attachicon.gifBP_5758.jpg

units by themselves with control rod

attachicon.gifBP_5759.jpg

Looks very promising - thanks.

Just a word to those of us outside the USA - New Rail Models cannot supply outside the States. You must order through Walthers.

Archived