Australia - Modern Scene

Gwiwer

Thank you both for your advice and implied support.

Unfortunately I am the shy retiring type which means if someone gives me grief I tend to take the easy option and move along.

Still in two minds whether to visit what have become my usual haunts this weekend. Suspect I won't know until the days themselves. Weather forecast looks OK though.

• Like 1

Hello.

Pleased to report that I returned, with a little trepidation, to my weekend haunts and didn't have any problems after all. Hopefully a one-off occurrence, perhaps unfortunate that it happened in two different locations over the course of the same weekend.

Have now returned to taking so-so pictures of WA freight.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The venerable GM class are hanging in there. The iron ore contract that will release more modern power has about another four weeks to go and GWA seem happy to work the GMs until they have a failure. There are still three active examples based in Adelaide and on Easter Saturday two ventured out onto the Loxton branch line.

attachicon.gifGM43_dipper.jpg

attachicon.gifGM43.jpg

attachicon.gifLoxton_1.jpg

attachicon.gifCLF6_edited-1.jpg

The last image shows the train on the main line near Callington after an additional unit had been attached for the grades through the Adelaide Hills.

Time has run out for these workhorses. Several of the GWA class locos made redundant from the iron ore contract have arrived in Adelaide and this has resulted in the remaining GM class locos being stored. One remains in use at Whyalla as a shunter.

Edited by bingley hall

CFCLA is selling off a large number of locos.

http://www.locomotives-for-sale.com/rolling-stock/

3 x C

6 x T

13 x EL

12 x GL

12 x VL

Cheers

David

The 'for sale' figures given on the web site are incorrect.

While obviously everything is for sale at a price, at this stage only 12 units are up for sale.

Many of the others are still in use with clients. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, something different to end the week.

While I do not currently have a picture of it, Southern Shorthaul Railroad S317 has been rolled out of Lithgow State Mine Railway today in a VERY different livery to the norm.

It is essentially the old AN passenger scheme as used on the CLPs, but in place of the Green on the hood section, it is Black. The SSR logos (in roundels) replace the AN logos, and standard SSR numbering font used for the numbers on the sides. The Silver remains, with a thin Yellow stripe running front to back on the base of the body, inter-spaced with Black, and an all-Yellow pilot.

Photos copyright Nathan Carter. I apologize for the quality, but they are off of a phone:

post-14921-0-19276200-1436519269_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-85478500-1436519317_thumb.jpg

post-14921-0-59731400-1436519330_thumb.jpg

Edited by 69843
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Qube consortium makes $9b takeover offer for Asciano

Brookfield Infrastructure's $9 billion takeover bid for Asciano has been formally challenged, with a Qube-led consortium making a binding offer valuing the ports and rail group at $9.08 per share.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/qube-consortium-makes-rival-9b-takeover-offer-for-asciano-20160127-gmflef.html

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see the bankers drop off just as they reach the level crossing, at the end.

Until a few years ago they had to couple up and connect the brake hose. There was a lineside light at the summit to help the crew uncouple. AIUI they now put a U bolt across the top of coupler on the lead bank engine that prevents the locking pin dropping.

Cheers

David

Asciano board accepts Qube takeover bid

Asciano's board has recommended investors accept a $9.05 billion takeover bid from the Qube consortium and will pay Brookfield Infrastructure a $88 million break fee after the Canadian group missed the deadline for making matching or superior offer for the ports and rail group.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/asciano-board-accepts-qube-takeover-bid-as-brookfield-doesnt-counteroffer-20160215-gmuymw.html

A little heads up for anyone in Eastern NSW-the Crawfords train from Sandgate to Cooks River is set to have the C class' haul it for the last time on Friday (26/2), with the new PHC Class to take over on Monday (29/2). The PHCs are C44ACi locomotives, and I believe the last two to be sold (as opposed to built).

One of the Great South Pacific Express sleeping cars has been sighted being taken by road to the Port of Brisbane. 20 of the 21 GSPE cars have been in highly secure storage at Ipswich for more than a decade and are reportedly being taken to Peru. (Belmond, which owns the GSPE cars, also operates PeruRail which runs from Cusco to Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca.)

Cheers

David