FARISH NEW 4F

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

I note that the forthcoming 'Seaside Excursion' set features 4F number 44044; according to my Winter 1956/7 Combined ABC the Midland 4Fs stopped at 44026, those from 44027 being of the later left-hand drive design. Perhaps our Farish 'insiders' could enlighten us as I thought the new model was solely of the RHD variety.

• 2 weeks later...

I note that the forthcoming 'Seaside Excursion' set features 4F number 44044; according to my Winter 1956/7 Combined ABC the Midland 4Fs stopped at 44026, those from 44027 being of the later left-hand drive design. Perhaps our Farish 'insiders' could enlighten us as I thought the new model was solely of the RHD variety.

Not quite... 4026 was indeed the last built by the Midland Railway, however the first LMS built batches were also RH drive. The 4027-56 and 4057-106 batches of 1924 were certainly RHD (which includes 4044 so the Farish model is correctly RHD). I believe the lowest numbered LH drive example was 4207 delivered in early 1926. The only ones I'm not sure of are 4302-11 delivered out of number order in late 1925...

Actually GF are pretty hot on their research, I questioned one of their two maroon liveries of their forthcoming Princess Cororonations and then discovered they did paint some locomotives with orange lining for a short experimental period in the late 50s.  The 4F certainly looks nice now lets all bleat together for a Crab and a better 8F...,,,Altogether now!!!

• 5 months later...

Actually GF are pretty hot on their research, I questioned one of their two maroon liveries of their forthcoming Princess Cororonations and then discovered they did paint some locomotives with orange lining for a short experimental period in the late 50s.  The 4F certainly looks nice now lets all bleat together for a Crab and a better 8F...,,,Altogether now!!!

Baaaaaaaaaaa

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

My set with 44044 has just arrived from Liverpool but wifey insists it's my Christmas present and can't be unwrapped until the 25th!

Good planning by Bachmann to get the sets out in time for the big day. I saw the Steel Worker set in Ian Allan's yesterday too.

but wifey insists it's my Christmas present and can't be unwrapped until the 25th!

Awwww ! tell her there is a little Santa's chum out here eager to see a review of the new set before going out to buy swmbo an unexpected prezzie !

That should be good enough excuse, dont 'u think :)

Hi all, been reading the forum for a wee while, this set looks interesting and could get me started on N modelling ( after an aborted attempt earlier in the year with a(n)other set :(  )

Just received mine too (Seaside Excursion set). I can only endorse What has already been said. Exquisite levels of detail going as far as representation of motion between the frames (non working of course!).

Running is ultra smooth, the mechanism is pretty much silent, just wheels on rails. No wobbles, it tracks lovely and straight, slow running is excellent - sleeper to sleeper crawl with only minimal running in, plenty of pickups on loco and tender mean no stalling or stuttering on dirty track or dead frog points. I haven't tested haulage yet, it was however very comfortable with four Farish "Staniers" in tow.

I reflected on another Forum how odd it is that this little loco for me really does have a "wow" factor in a way that the new Duchess, fine model of an imposing prototype though it is simply does not.. 

I look forward to obtaining the "Johnson" tendered version when released..

Roy

I must have been a bad boy this year because I did not get any new trains for Christmas, I'm the actual real Boy that Santa Claus forgot.

Guess I may just have to buy my own :(

it's because of one of two reasons;

he wasn't sure which colour to get since you have both crimson and green locos and didn't want to get the right ones

or he thinks you've got too many 4f's 

:P

• RMweb Premium

Just fitted the tool holder and coal rails to my Fowler tender; a fiddly job requiring good light and eyesight! I recommend Roket Hot cyano, applied with a cocktail stick; fit the tool holder across the 'coal', in the holes provided, then position the coal rail unit with the other tool holder  at the cab end; I found it easier to glue the rear brackets first, before doing the front and sides. Now for the cab doors.......

With regard to the Coal Rails, before fitting them, bear in mind that not all Fowler tenders had them, and from photos less than half of the 4Fs did...

The only photo I have found so far of 44044 (the loco in the Seaside Excursion set) is in LMS days, at at that point in it life it does NOT have them,

• RMweb Premium

I'm not too bothered whether 44044 had the coal rails--they really add character to the tender.

I fitted the cab doors with polystyrene cement; note the one with the small 'tab' fits on the offside of the loco.

Now for the coupling hooks! Does anyone have a tip for fitting these--mine usually end up in the carpet, never to be seen again!

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the fitting of coal rails on Fowler tenders this was something that at first was mainly added to those behind the larger class of loco given them and needing a good coal supply for a lengthy run e.g. Crabs/Moguls/Jubilees etc. As time went on more tenders were given them, and in BR days they were quite common behind all classes, and especially where the loco was coaled at a mechanised plant to help prevent coal spillage when being loaded.

Izzy

I have to say the slow running is superb and as for haulage, so far only put 6 old farish suburban behind it and no issues even on the hidden 9" curves of mine. The cab detail is sublime. Just need to add a crew now.

Happy new year by the way.

Archived