A powered Armstrong Whitworth D9 - plans included.

JCL

Once marked out glued together, I first centre punched each hole, to make sure the tip of the drill went true, piloted all hole a one size under the 3/16 bearings size with a drop of WD 40 as a lubricant to stop the aluminumin picking up, once that was done running the pillar drill nice and fast opened up the bearing holes to size, followed by the others, after cleaning the burrs off then cut the frames to profile, the top face having been cut square on a proxxon table saw before pairing the frames up to make a nice square edge avoiding the deformation where the alloy had been cropped from a sheet. Using a fairly corse pericing saw blade with a little bees wax for lubricant on the blade, the aluminium does need a bit of lubricant as it's soft and clogs the teath, the edges were then draw filed. The superglue loses it's hold when warmed so then I had two matched frames.

Some times the best laid plans go wrong, my delivery of material was due today and as usual the delivery got missed I then spent 2 hours in the depot while they tried to find my parcel, only to get it with two large foot prints on the box, not bad for a package with fragile sheet material printed on the box about 10 times!

Not much more progress only cut one side of the final 0.5mm overlays and dropped them on as well as stuffing a load of 1/32 brass rivets into the overlay frame sides.

post-17012-0-22276100-1415051122_thumb.jpg

I think it's really starting to look some think like now, hopefully by this Friday the body will be largely complete, leaving the frames and the roof to think about.

• Like 3

Just had some positive news.

post-17012-0-12732600-1415372949_thumb.jpg

Steve Foster has just sent me a photo of the 3 completed traction motors and driving motors that he has custom made for this project.

The wheels are by Walsall model industries as are the pony truck ones, they kindly posted the wheels out directly to Steve for me so he has completed them before I have even collected the balance of the order for the rest.

I think the chance of getting D9 running by Warley has moved a step closer although I have got a bit behind this week with finishing the body, but I have had a few hours CAD work on the detail for the frames such as springing equalization and axle boxes.

• Like 6

I should be stewarding on the G1MRA railway which for this year is Midsummer Norton I beleve. Even if it isn't running I will bring it along. As I am normally lurking on the tables with G1MRA books, and various part finished bits trying to convert a few folk to give G1 a try.

• Like 1

Today I have  been largely thinking about the roof!

The roof is something that have been bothering me for a while now, and it is one point where I going way off beam from Jason's 4mm D9.

First job today was to make up the control cubical, this have served two functions I have put a couple of 4mm captive nuts in the base of it to form that ends fixing to the frames, secondly it will form one end to mount the roof from and again has had a couple of fixing holes to allow the roof to be screwed to the body, there is a purpose to this, I have had a miniature motor/gear box turn up form China and I want to power the cooling fan in the roof, this will be fixed to the body so the roof will the come off to access it, in most likeliness it wont be worth the effort or will break and never get looked at again.

post-17012-0-84832200-1415483820_thumb.jpg

The roof frame has been built like a model aircraft wing, as the Rowmark is quite ductile I want to give it plenty of support to keep it true.

post-17012-0-15297800-1415483866_thumb.jpg

I have laminated up the area around the fan duct out of 1.5mm layers.

post-17012-0-18122400-1415483897_thumb.jpg

Then over clad with 0.5mm material the next job tomorrow will be to over clad the whole rood structure with a layer of 0.75mm material and flare it into the sides, the final roof finish will be another layer of 0.5mm to which the hatches etc will be fitted onto.

post-17012-0-43511100-1415483922_thumb.jpg

The fan duct was cut out and that's been today's progress, much to my other half's dismay as D9 has come before washing up!

I'm not sure I have said this yet but I only looked at this thread after seeing the D9 title and wondering if it was about the Midland Reds fantastic home build double deck buses of the 60's. we could do with the 7mm version now to finish the set as we have had 2mm, Jayson's 4mm one and my part but one in 10mm scales!

Off to think about engine room details and cabs now!

post-17012-0-14516500-1415483845_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure I have said this yet but I only looked at this thread after seeing the D9 title and wondering if it was about the Midland Reds fantastic home build double deck buses of the 60's. we could do with the 7mm version now to finish the set as we have had 2mm, Jayson's 4mm one and my part but one in 10mm scales!

Careful, those S scale and TT boys will have a fit! :) I think it's looking brilliant, and I really mean that. Your roof looks great, mine's ok, but could be better. I don't know about you, but I couldn't find much info about the cab. It would be great, wouldn't it, if suddenly one day someone was cleaning out an attic and found a load of A-W papers? If they can do it with Dr Who, then you never know.

Anyway, not my scale, but just wondering when the kit is coming out. :jester:

cheers

Jason

No kit for this one, although another member of the G1MRA has asked, to write the instructions etc. To turn this into a commercial product would never be justifyed by the sales, and this is very much a project for my own personal pleasure. I could have my arm twisted to offer a set of parts as a scratch aid or even build one as a comission now the CAD files are created.

It has however taught me a lot about building larger structures in Rowmark, I had a heart stopping moment earlier this week when I dropped it on the concrete floor, but to my supprise except for a small chip it survived, it's not something I intend to do often but it's good to know that the material is resilient like that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, it's good the fall didn't hurt too much. No, I only ask because I've been asked myself a couple of times via PM to create kits from silhouette cut parts. It's one of the reasons why I put the files up onto RMWeb in the end, so anyone can have them.

So, how much time do you think you've given to the D9 so far, and how much do you think you have to do?

The time so far has largely been spent on the body, I would estimate the following

Cad design about 25 hours.... largely in front of the TV !

Laser time about 2 1/2 hours

Thinking time, research, staring into photos trying to get a clue about whats in the shadows at least another 20 hours but some of that is merged in with the Cad time

Body erection so far about 25-30 hours

Under frame so far about 6 hours.

I have had the wheels machined for me to save time and I think the chassis will be a Mk1 with 3 interdependent traction motors wired in parallel it will be important to keep all wheels on the ground as if one take the load and one of the others slips that will draw more power and make her quite light on her feet, at the moment I have put about 1.5mm of lift into the center axle and I will see how that goes, but I can see me having to fully spring it to get the best from the performance.

After washing up today (I had to or I would have been looking for another domestic chef!) I have just put a couple of hours into fitting the inner roof (I have found rowmark takes a tap very well and makes a good strong screw tread) and skinned (soaking it in boiling water makes it bend nicely), and blending it into the profile of the body. Its our local G1MRA area group meeting this afternoon so I will not make much more progress beyond drinking tea and eating biscuits.

Body jobs left are to:

Finish louvers and beading to LHS.

Fit the outer roof, hatches fillers, fan grill etc.

Vacuum form the auxiliary engine bonnet and fit with beading make up exhaust etc.

Make up the lamp irons, handrails and vacuum pipes.

Turn up buffers and fit.

Make cooler fan and fit.

Make up engine room interior and cabs (including battery box for under the engine base)

Worst job.... Paint.

On top of that will be to finish the frames and fit RC gear etc.... the list goes on

• Like 2

After much tea and custard creams at our local G1 meet today, I had some positive feed back on works so far, even if the first comment was "what is it?" I was somewhat transfixed by a live steam Crosti boiler 9F that works as a real Crosti, I am told it should be running at Warley so it's one to look out for.

Progress today has been to fit the cooling fan.

post-17012-0-72464600-1415570468_thumb.jpg

The fan is powered by a miniature 6mm dia motor/gearbox I'm not sure it was worth it as you can hardly see with the roof in place.

post-17012-0-31811000-1415570499_thumb.jpg

I have fitted the roof outer layer and fan grill so now its starting to look much more like a loco now.

• Like 1

Not much progress over the last couple of days mainly gazing at photos under a magnifying glass until I have gone cross eyed for the roof detail, as has been said before no photos of the roof of D9 appear to have survived, on the whole I am going with the flow, but I am making a few changes.

I am adding a vent over each cab, these are not there when new but the appear in the later photos, I am adding a hatch over the control cubical as D8 and indicating that the roof hatches over the engine open left and right as per D8.

I am not convinced that is right still but with no better it will at least add some interest to the roof.

post-17012-0-58582100-1415833735_thumb.jpg

I have found that changing the Milliput for wheels has made a load of difference and will be the way forwards ;) a nice thing is by using the Fosmotors is that the loco will coast as they have very little rolling resistance.

• Like 2

I have had a couple of evenings, working on the frames.

post-17012-0-06324800-1416000207_thumb.jpg

It's not a fine example of watch making and is more blacksmith than precision engineering but it should be rugged and functional, by building the whole unit off a 3mm aluminum 'plank' it should allow for plenty of experimentation if needed, I have put about 1.5mm of lift into the middle axle and it is sprung to keep it in contact with the rail head.

I have made the pony trucks quite simply but with light springs on the pivot point, it might need some work, but for a start it will get D9 mobile, and improvements can be made going forwards.

Although the batteries have arrived today (8x4000mAh Nimh sub C cells) the speed controller and receiver have not so I wont be in a position to run her this weekend, as I don't have my own G1 main line track. still I have plenty of other jobs to get on with.

• Like 4

I put a late night in last and borrowed a speed controller and radio from another loco.

Battery box has been built and fitted with the cells and the wiring done for the traction circuits.

post-17012-0-67577600-1416144457_thumb.jpg

So I popped in down my local club track this morning and put her through some running trials, so far so good she ran for over an hour and would lift 4 Mk1's out of the station with no wheel slip so the springing must be about right.

The coaches are not my ones and are to 1/32 scale where D9 is built to 10mm scale (1:30.5) as is all my G1 modelling normally, the two scales are quite happy together but with D9 filling the loading gauge its really exaggerated the difference.

D9 should truly be a 'Universal' loco capable of anything that is asked of her.

• Like 4

well I have had a few busy evenings so far this week.

post-17012-0-49183300-1416436253_thumb.jpg

I have finished off the electrics within the loco, added the ESC and radio, the two AA batteries are for the fan circuit and comes on as soon as the loco is switched on and runs, with no visible LED's from the Rx it will be a good visual indication that the loco is on and ready to run.

post-17012-0-13615400-1416436287_thumb.jpg

This week most work had been on detailing the body, the only remaining parts to make and fit to the body are the two vacuum pipes.

post-17012-0-19841700-1416436357_thumb.jpg

The only other external parts are the works and makers plates but I have only just ordered these so they will have to go on when they arrive.

With the first coat of primer I am quite happy with the general appearance of the loco, hopefully a little filling and another base coat should see the loco body ready for some blue on Friday.

Last major job is to cut and fit the frame details, although I do have plenty of other work such as the interior to get on with then weathering.

post-17012-0-02279000-1416436418_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beatty 139
  • Like 2

Well I was up at 5am today flatting the body, masking up to give it a coat of body colour, all the frame details are cut and one side has been applied, it was about midnight when I had finished that last night, so no photo or post, the only error is I have made the pony truck springs too wide so the cab steps won't fit, but that will be a quick fix now I have seen the error of my ways. It won't be 100% finished for Warley but it will be close enough!
All I can do is thank you Jayson for your inspiration for this project.

Edited by Beatty 139

She shall go to the ball....

post-17012-0-28882900-1416610666_thumb.jpg

Well D9 is far from finished she needs steps, vac pipes, sand boxes and various bits and bobs externally like brakes, all the interior parts making and a lot of painting and finishing work, but I now have a largely complete model of the first main line British diesel locomotive, time for the above through the winter ready for next summer.

Time for me to sleep now its been a long day of modelling with some work mixed in to the middle but as well!

• Like 4