Schools Class Unknown Make

drgj

I bought this 00 loco at a car boot sale and was wondering what make it  is. It is made of some whitemetal parts but with a mostly brass body with soldered on edge beading. There is some whitematal in there because the body is quite heavy. The motor which can be seen in one pic.is a screwed together brass affair. The driving wheels are solid brass as are the other wheels,  The loco seems to be set up for an outside third rail. The paint job has seen better days but was once carefully done with hand lettering on the tender. Is this a home made kit or one of those shop/ factory  builtready to run models you could once buy?

Thanks

Davepost-11423-0-71519600-1396102120_thumb.jpgpost-11423-0-82868300-1396102147_thumb.jpgpost-11423-0-52886600-1396102163_thumb.jpg

The motor is Zenith. I agree that it looks to be mainly brass rather than white metal. Many sheet metal brass or nickel silver old models were heavily weighted by the addition of lead pieces or partially filling the inside with molten lead.  I wish I could find such nice things at car boot sales!

Looks a super find as I really like the older style locos. It could be a scratch built loco. The only kits I am aware of from 50's / 60's which used sheet metal were the likes of Jamieson/Eames/Kings Cross. I do believe there was a company which made early photo etched rather than stamped out parts but cannot remember their name or era

Thanks for the replies. It is a nice find. the other side of the tender is a not so good. I don't know whether to strip it and repaint it or leave it it as it is. I could just do a few repairs here and there.

Dave

Coachman

Thanks for putting me right, just could not remember the name and I knew they were not stamped.

Dave

I would find out what it is first, its value and if the value would be reduced if refurbished., If its not of great value I would rebuild it to 2 rail (unless you run 3 rail) try and install a new motor within the firebox and boiler and repaint. You could keep the old chassis and fit a Comet one and a removable cab interior so you could reinstate the old chassis if required. To my mind a decent repaint would benefit either choice

Thanks for the new replies. There is something funny about the way the tender sits when I couple it to the loco as the front wheels are raised off  the rails. I suspect that I am not coupling it to the correct place and that maybe the loco part of the coupling is missing.  If the wheels were bigger then maybe it would be ok but they look like the original fitment. I thought of packing up the tender chassis a bit but the wheels already look a bit low in the axleboxes.  It must have been ok once, mind you!

Dave

Guest Lyonesse

It's a great find; car boot sales in your area are so much better.  It's clearly very well made, even if the proportions look a bit odd.  Maybe it would look better if both the loco and tender bodies were sitting lower on their chassis.  Have you run a ruler over it to check the scale?

• 6 months later...

Here are some early 00 choices from my notes

--------------------------------------------------------------
          J S H Smitherman

MRC 9.37 pix ad for 00 Schools class kit incl mech  also Compounds and Directors
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------
          Gem

MRN 11.38 p308/pvii illus ad and reports on range of handbuilt 00 engines GEM standard models
          Schools 904 shown
          TCS 1  12.06 p8 note
          -----------------------------------------------------------------
          Hamblings   1937 cat

---------------------------------------------------------
          Stewart Reidpath

Stewart Reidpath M48/1 cat c1948 lists OO

MRE 3.00 p20 illus notes

It looks quite well detailed for its age. Outside third lick-up fell out of favour in the early 1950s from what I've heard. Some models had the tender weight sitting on the back of the loco for better adhesion, so this could explain that arrangement.

Archived